Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuff3
Oct 9, 2012
Im a huge piece of poo poo at art. But if I quit I'd just be even bigger poo poo.

Please excuse my area capturing abilities. Not the actual resolution either im retarded etc.

Stuff3 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Humboldt squid posted:

Usually you have more than one piece going at a time (usually 3-4), so when you get tired with one you can work on another - plus it lets you get a fresh perspective when you come back to it.

I tend to zone the hell out and end up with some work at the end of it like 4 hours later, I find it very very relaxing. That said I've been doing some work for other people lately, and with having to redo some sprites over or tweak things slowing down my work it really helps to go and zone out on another piece for a bit even if it's to build up my confidence.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Stuff3: I'm getting a Hotline Miami vibe from that.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For anyone that hasn't seen this yet, there's a game up on Kickstarter called Hyper Light Drifter. Really incredible art style that I think a few of you would really dig.

Even the animation is impressive:

There's a video and some more screenshots and animations on the Kickstarter page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:drat: the flat green on the top of the mech works super well. Got great artists working on it too -

Ian Schlaepfer

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
looks a lot like radio the universe

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Stuff3 posted:

Im a huge piece of poo poo at art. But if I quit I'd just be even bigger poo poo.

Please excuse my area capturing abilities. Not the actual resolution either im retarded etc.

Never say die! Bully the poo poo out of those pixels until they work for you! :D

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
98 year old shows you how to do it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

As much as I love his art and the story behind it, my brain kept nitpicking at his technique the whole time. :sigh: I'm a monster. It was pretty interesting to see how someone removed from gaming culture approaches low res art though. I think all the years I've spent critiquing stuff on Pixel Art message boards have ruined me.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Gaspy Conana posted:

As much as I love his art and the story behind it, my brain kept nitpicking at his technique the whole time. :sigh: I'm a monster. It was pretty interesting to see how someone removed from gaming culture approaches low res art though. I think all the years I've spent critiquing stuff on Pixel Art message boards have ruined me.

The fact that he's partially blind, uses MS Paint and still is able to create those things is just amazing though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He's so proud of his work! :3:

I.. I just have something in my eye... no I'm fine!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

As much as I love his art and the story behind it, my brain kept nitpicking at his technique the whole time. :sigh: I'm a monster.

Part of it is he's really using more of a pointilist style than what we would consider "pixel art"- it is less about precisely choosing individual pixels. I get the impression that his work is meant to be viewed at a 1x zoom, whereas the things we typically discuss in this thread are meant to be blown-up. I just think it's great he's having fun making art with a computer.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Internet Janitor posted:

Part of it is he's really using more of a pointilist style than what we would consider "pixel art"- it is less about precisely choosing individual pixels. I get the impression that his work is meant to be viewed at a 1x zoom, whereas the things we typically discuss in this thread are meant to be blown-up. I just think it's great he's having fun making art with a computer.

I agree completely and wouldn't want him to change a thing. I was just describing what went on in the back of my mind. He is definitely an inspiration.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I'm hoping for something in the vein of Bastion as an experience. Can't get over the wonderful economy in the art style.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
loving around with a 13 color palette.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Triangle posted:

looks a lot like radio the universe

There's been a lot of comparison, yeah. Both no-outline bright colours on dark background pixel art with full-colour lighting effects.

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013
Here's a walk cycle and someone else's character:

e: also this

Havegum fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 9, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Halloweeeeeeen!

Edit:
No BODY will see this

Ohohoho

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 9, 2013

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Thought I'd try my hand at some pixel art for Samhain.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
The pixel art application used by Kare, et al, MacPaint, has been replicated in html5:http://www.cloudpaint.com/client/index.php

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

the chaos engine posted:

loving around with a 13 color palette.

Love this. Using it for anything?

Here are a bunch of parallax scenes I've been working on in the past ~month. Watch in HD. The dog animation is a bit iffy, but animation was never my strong suit. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzoYNimY34

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Gaspy Conana posted:

Love this. Using it for anything?

Here are a bunch of parallax scenes I've been working on in the past ~month. Watch in HD. The dog animation is a bit iffy, but animation was never my strong suit. :)

Goddamn your stuff is always so lush and atmospheric man, ugh. Ugh. I feel like Dropsy could do with a smoother walkcycle though.

And to answer your question, it's becoming a game, I got my programmer excited with that mockup. Just finished the tiles for the first area!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the chaos engine: Gotta say, that all looks fuckin' great. I really want to see where this is going.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Gaspy Conana posted:

If you compare those animations to just about any classic Lucasarts adventure you are on par, especially considering how much more detailed your sprites are vs a game like the original Monkey Island.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Here is last night's efforts.

Working on lighting right now. Day, dusk and dead of night.
Any help or critique on the lighting would be appreciated.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Cheap Shot posted:

I am aroused. You captured that really well.

I think there could be a matte highlight on the pavement from the light, but other than that good job.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

Is the glow from lights, particularly neon lights, how it is in the pictured here? I've been awhile since I've seen anything clearly with the naked eye and wearing glasses gives off a weird glare unlike how its depicted in these here images.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Cheap Shot posted:

I think the smooth high-color glow effects clash with the rest of the graphics' low-color palette. Maybe try making those elements dithered?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Ave Azaria posted:

I think the smooth high-color glow effects clash with the rest of the graphics' low-color palette. Maybe try making those elements dithered?

In contrast, I actually really love the smooth glow, but I'm also a sucker for mixing higher-res stuff with pixel art, so it's really a matter of personal taste I think. Either way, your palette is fantastic and the whole thing is gorgeous. Good job!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I should clarify that this is for a video game, so my options for lighting aren't as broad as if I were doing a static image. Need options that I can apply to moving sprites on various backgrounds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

I should clarify that this is for a video game, so my options for lighting aren't as broad as if I were doing a static image. Need options that I can apply to moving sprites on various backgrounds.

Well, depending on your renderer there'd be ways to achieve dither-lighting, I'm sure, but screw that, I like this look.

The third one looks a bit off to me, though. Either the glow from the lights is too bright or the falloff is too rapid. Or possibly too gradual. I... damnit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 13, 2013

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Ave Azaria posted:

Maybe try making those elements dithered?

No, don't

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Which would you guys say is, on average, more time consuming when it comes to animation (whether it be animating one character or many) s 2D sprites or 3D models?

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Which would you guys say is, on average, more time consuming when it comes to animation (whether it be animating one character or many) s 2D sprites or 3D models?

It really depends on the detail of the sprite/model. Super detailed sprites can be incredibly painful to animate, sometimes taking me about a day for a reasonably short animation that requires full body movement, while working on animations for a reasonably simple model can be done in a couple of hours.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I find the rule of thumb tends to be: If you made a frame of 2D art, multiply that by how many frames you need, that's the rough time it'd take. Compare that to the time taken to make a single model then add a little bit more time onto that. Sometimes it's faster to do 5-10 frames than it is to make an entire model, but if you're making an entire set of walk, run, idle animations for every direction, a 3D model tends to be best.

You can also render the 3D model out and pixel over that if you need the coherent pixel style.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Trying to do a right to left walk again.. If any of you remember me posting during the summer. I'm super shite at this part. I don't know why I just cant get it!

Edit:

Better?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2013

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Edit:

Better?
I think it looks like it's alternating between taking one step forward, then sidestepping one to its left.

Here's something heavily inspired from hyper light drifter

And also a cat

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

This one looks really cool.
Do you have a portfolio or anything I can stare at?

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

DancingPenguin posted:

This one looks really cool.
Do you have a portfolio or anything I can stare at?
Thanks!

I have an art thread at Newgrounds. It has most of the stuff I've done since I started drawing so be warned there's a lot of really really hideously bad stuff. I also have a tumblr, though it's still a bit fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Havegum posted:

Thanks!

I have an art thread at Newgrounds. It has most of the stuff I've done since I started drawing so be warned there's a lot of really really hideously bad stuff. I also have a tumblr, though it's still a bit fresh.

The Poliwag-thing looks really cool and I love Öresundsbro painting.
Are you based in the Nordics?