Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't like Ukemi much in W101 to be honest. If I get hit I've already screwed up basically.

You get the life back, and your pure platinum isn't ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joink posted:

You get the life back, and your pure platinum isn't ruined.

Yeah, but truth be told, my pure platinums are ruined more through getting nicked by a small dude I barely saw than something I can Ukemi out of, unless I've misunderstood how Ukemi works on.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't like Ukemi much in W101 to be honest. If I get hit I've already screwed up basically.

There's a bottle cap where you have to pull it off 100 times, good to know it's just a recovery move

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but truth be told, my pure platinums are ruined more through getting nicked by a small dude I barely saw than something I can Ukemi out of, unless I've misunderstood how Ukemi works on.

You can Ukemi almost any attack, including just the little dudes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seshoho Cian posted:

You can Ukemi almost any attack, including just the little dudes.

I thought it had to knock you over? I've never gotten it to work wtih "i get nicked and lose health."

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I thought it had to knock you over? I've never gotten it to work wtih "i get nicked and lose health."

I've Ukemi'd everything minus crushing attacks. Got shot by the little piss laser from the UFO's, got slapped by the little useless guys etc. They just don't send you flying as much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Going through the gallery now that I've beaten the game, and I am unreasonably annoyed that Wonder Sailor's description inaccurately describes him as the oldest Wonderful One. Both Wonder Professor and Wonder Clockwork are older than him.

But seriously all these descriptions are great. They put so much care into designing these little guys who you mostly don't see much of during the game.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

The Moon Monster posted:

For some reason the description says you can use it when you take a "fatal" hit but really it can be used for any hit that knocks you around.

Every hit is fatal if you're going for them Pure Plats, which you totally should.

And yeah there isn't really inconsequential nicking and chip damage, just about every hit that doesn't flatten you knocks you back. Your health bar flashes in an alarming fashion if some of your squad get knocked down I think, but it doesn't actually affect your health.

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight

Regy Rusty posted:

Going through the gallery now that I've beaten the game, and I am unreasonably annoyed that Wonder Sailor's description inaccurately describes him as the oldest Wonderful One. Both Wonder Professor and Wonder Clockwork are older than him.

But seriously all these descriptions are great. They put so much care into designing these little guys who you mostly don't see much of during the game.

I noticed that error as well. I don't have all the Wonderful Ones yet, but I think the oldest one I've seen so far is Wonder-Bonsai at 83 years old. I'm really happy about all the little details they put into the heroes. The other day I was using Wonder-Zombie as a leader and found he has a limping animation instead of the standard run, which they could have easily skipped but I love that they took the time to add it.

I wish more games had model viewers. I really like being able to appreciate the character and enemy designs at length (though it seems they left out Wonder-Blue's dog transformation. At least they have concept art for it!).

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

Also how tight is the timing for the Hero Counter?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's super tight. It's not really mashable like Metal Gear Rising's was.
Pretty much. You have to be pretty exact. It's more akin to the parry in Bayonetta.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Today I discovered that if you use the Wonder Liner to get slow motion while performing a Gun Cyclone, you'll fire twice as many bullets, roughly. I don't think it's gonna end up being useful for much, but it's kind of neat!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Christ, I think I need to buy a Wii U for this, based on all the gameplay/mechanics videos I've watched.

OK, let's rationalize this... the Wind Waker HD bundle just came out, aaaaand I'll be buying a Wii U anyway when Bayonetta 2 comes out. And Pikmin 3. That's all I've got... drat you Nintendo, you snag one good game on your console...

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Somehow I managed to wonder line people into a giant crab's mouth while it was open, and I can't figure out how I did it exactly. Has anyone done this before?

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

in the miso soup posted:

Somehow I managed to wonder line people into a giant crab's mouth while it was open, and I can't figure out how I did it exactly. Has anyone done this before?

Yep, it's a good strategy to deal with them, it only seems to work when it's charging up the laser, just rush dudes in and you'll cancel the laser and open it up for some sweet comboing.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo ukemi is so drat useful, why didn't you jerks tell me!?

Anyone got any tips for dodging the flaming rocks in the final part of 005-C? The rest of his attacks are easy to dodge, but even one of those drat rocks knocks your damage score down to a silver.

ProtoBlues
Jul 31, 2013

SombereroLad posted:

Holy poo poo ukemi is so drat useful, why didn't you jerks tell me!?

Anyone got any tips for dodging the flaming rocks in the final part of 005-C? The rest of his attacks are easy to dodge, but even one of those drat rocks knocks your damage score down to a silver.

Not totally sure which you mean at the moment, but if you mean the fight I think you do, can't you punch them to raise your energy bar?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
With the latest firmware, you can now upload 720p pictures to sites, so I uploaded some straight to imgur. Here's the Earth from the opening cinematic:

And here's a Wonder-Penis.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just beat the game, holy poo poo 009 was loving incredible.

Now, is there a list of the Wonderful ones you have? I want to go out collecting, but I don't want to have to go through a level only to find out I have that one already.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

ProtoBlues posted:

Not totally sure which you mean at the moment, but if you mean the fight I think you do, can't you punch them to raise your energy bar?

Nah, the last bit when when you're surfing on the virgin victory

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Now, is there a list of the Wonderful ones you have? I want to go out collecting, but I don't want to have to go through a level only to find out I have that one already.

In the main menu, go Gallery -> Character Gallery -> Member Files.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

GonSmithe posted:

There's a gallery on the title screen that lists all the ones you've found so far, but it doesn't tell you which guys are missing in which stages if that's what you're hoping for. You can at least make a handy list of the ones you do have and GameFAQs the rest.

ProtoBlues
Jul 31, 2013

SombereroLad posted:

Nah, the last bit when when you're surfing on the virgin victory

Just tried it out again, I'd just suggest staying really low so you can actually see where he's throwing them and not being afraid to smack into the walls to dodge.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Monkey Fracas posted:

Christ, I think I need to buy a Wii U for this, based on all the gameplay/mechanics videos I've watched.

OK, let's rationalize this... the Wind Waker HD bundle just came out, aaaaand I'll be buying a Wii U anyway when Bayonetta 2 comes out. And Pikmin 3. That's all I've got... drat you Nintendo, you snag one good game on your console...

I bought a Wii U for this game ( don't regret it ) about two weeks before the HD Wind Waker bundle was announced. It's worth it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This game has a retardedly high skill ceiling, I cannot wait to see what legit stuff good YouTube players can come up with. (paging Chip Cheezum and AccountingNightmare)

Also, I need the soundtrack yesterday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope this gets a good LP somewhere. I want more people to see the game played well. :allears:

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

NickRoweFillea posted:

This game has a retardedly high skill ceiling, I cannot wait to see what legit stuff good YouTube players can come up with. (paging Chip Cheezum and AccountingNightmare)

Also, I need the soundtrack yesterday.

Look up stuff by Saur, he's nuts

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So like, does the ranking for the boss stages kick in the second you start the stage or is it after unlimited mode activates? It's really tough trying to figure out if damage prior to the actual boss fight counts or what for some stages.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope this gets a good LP somewhere. I want more people to see the game played well. :allears:

Aside from Saur ARE there any good playthroughs or anything? Every "let's play!!" I see are clear "I did not look into this at all" type stuff and either abandoned before the first boss or complaining 90% of the time.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
It's pretty safe to say I'll end up doing a let's play of this game, just not now due to the three month rule/I want to do absolutely everything before I attempt recording it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
http://www.destructoid.com/see-all-the-wonderful-101-characters-in-their-underwear-262654.phtml

Despite the title, its actually a good chance to read all the descriptions they gave the extra 101. As of this posting, I have reached Judo, who was raised by bears who practiced Judo.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Saur has been busy with irl stuff and also potentially some other Platinum related things, so hasn't been able to do as much. He is however going to spend next week in full on video production mode, so we shall see what he comes out with!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Well I just finished my third run of the game and got Platinum medals throughout all of normal mode. Now all I've got left is 11 bottle caps and doing a fourth run on the highest difficulty mode. Normal mode feels like it's going in slow motion after playing on hard for so long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chip Cheezum posted:

Well I just finished my third run of the game and got Platinum medals throughout all of normal mode. Now all I've got left is 11 bottle caps and doing a fourth run on the highest difficulty mode. Normal mode feels like it's going in slow motion after playing on hard for so long.

Tell me about it. After doing a stage or two on the hardest difficulty I had decided to go to normal for any missing wonderful ones. It was awful and I wondered why I ever found some enemies hard.

Now that the games sunk in I have to admit, I really feel they dropped the ball on the final boss fight. He just seems way to easy on just about every difficulty and despite his awesome design I just never really felt like I was in danger. I'd rather fight 101 Armstrongs really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, going back to normal after the higher difficulties (especially with your better Custom Blocks/Skills) is hilarious. "Wait, I got hit by THAT?"

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
It's pretty annoying that the complete all secret missions and kahkoo-regahs require you to do them on every difficulty :(

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

SombereroLad posted:

It's pretty annoying that the complete all secret missions and kahkoo-regahs require you to do them on every difficulty :(

I was already going through Very Easy and Easy to get all the collectibles/level up my dudes when I found this out. Lucky me!

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

The Moon Monster posted:

Man operation 7 was super underwhelming compared to the previous 6. Oh well.
Operation 7 is hot garbage from what I've played of it. I just got Vorkken's lackey and I have to say that this is Kamiya's worst game by far. The needlessly convoluted controls are the biggest offenders for me. Drawing anything that isn't the Fist or the Sword is pretty much a crap shoot in the heat of battle. I wanted to throw my Game Pad out the window for the first four hours of the game or so. Right now I'm having a decent amount of fun with the game and I'm curious to see where the story goes but I'm feeling pretty let down with the game overall.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Systems_Id posted:

Operation 7 is hot garbage from what I've played of it. I just got Vorkken's lackey and I have to say that this is Kamiya's worst game by far. The needlessly convoluted controls are the biggest offenders for me. Drawing anything that isn't the Fist or the Sword is pretty much a crap shoot in the heat of battle. I wanted to throw my Game Pad out the window for the first four hours of the game or so. Right now I'm having a decent amount of fun with the game and I'm curious to see where the story goes but I'm feeling pretty let down with the game overall.

Are you using the touchpad? It's been said before but you have to think of the different morphs as fighting game inputs, and even then getting whip or gun out reliably is less difficult than getting fist. Hammer is probably the hardest, to be honest, but I rarely use it outside of stripping turtle armor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Systems_Id posted:

Let the stick return to neutral instead of trying to draw the line as one motion. You shouldn't be having any trouble with Gun, for example, which is just two directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The game slows down to a crawl when you start drawing, so the 'in the heat of battle' argument doesn't really apply.

• Locked thread