Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

minato posted:

I think it might have been this thread that pointed it out, but it blew my mind that I've seen BTTF a zillion times and never noticed that the Doc's name is "Time" backwards.

It's "Ttemme".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

minato posted:

I think it might have been this thread that pointed it out, but it blew my mind that I've seen BTTF a zillion times and never noticed that the Doc's name is "Time" backwards.

Unless you mean some Chinese knock-off version of the film (Return to Next Clock-Time), Doc's first name is spelled "Emmett". It kind of sounds like "emit", which is "time" backwards...

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OptimusShr posted:

Another great one is when Red says Andy's dream of escaping is "A lovely pipe dream"

I was forced to watch this again just to see that and spotted another one. After the prison-rapist Bogs and crew put Andy in the infirmary for a month, Cpt Hadley confronts Bogs in his cell and beats the gently caress out of him. When Bogs tries to crawl away from the beating, Hadley tells the other guards to "grab his ankles".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hello Sailor posted:

I was forced to watch this again just to see that and spotted another one. After the prison-rapist Bogs and crew put Andy in the infirmary for a month, Cpt Hadley confronts Bogs in his cell and beats the gently caress out of him. When Bogs tries to crawl away from the beating, Hadley tells the other guards to "grab his ankles".

What's subtle about that? Hadley is just stopping Boggs from escaping.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

What's subtle about that? Hadley is just stopping Boggs from escaping.

He didn't say "grab him," or "stop him," though. He speciffically tells them to grab his ankles. The grabbing of one's ankles is a common euphemism for preparing oneself to be violated anally.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
From Training Day:

Alonzo Harris: You hear that, homey? You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home? Huh?
Crackhead #1: What you think?
Alonzo Harris: They got room for you at the booty house, you ever been to the booty house. Big boys have you grab you ankles...

Though I'm not sure if that's what they were going for.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mng posted:

From Training Day:

Alonzo Harris: You hear that, homey? You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home? Huh?
Crackhead #1: What you think?
Alonzo Harris: They got room for you at the booty house, you ever been to the booty house. Big boys have you grab you ankles...

Though I'm not sure if that's what they were going for.

I never thought of it that way before but 'ankles' is awfully specific. 'Grab his legs' would have sounded more natural if he just wanted him back in the cell for further beating.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hadley: grab that man's anus.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
PYF Subtle Movie Moments: Breaking Bad chat 2.0

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

minato posted:

Emmett?

Edit: Oh hey a new page.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

He didn't say "grab him," or "stop him," though. He speciffically tells them to grab his ankles. The grabbing of one's ankles is a common euphemism for preparing oneself to be violated anally.

Grabbing your own ankles, not someone else's.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jedit posted:

Grabbing your own ankles, not someone else's.

If it were the other way around then there was a lot of weird poo poo going on during the wheelbarrow portion of gym class obstacle relays

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
In Wall-E, at one point he's holding out an umbrella and gets struck by lightning . When he does, his charge level shoots up from low battery to max battery.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It may be an obvious one since it's pointed out early in the movie, but in This is the End, aside from the paintings that James Franco points out, there are several others in the background that make it obvious that Franco has a huge crush on Seth Rogen.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My favorite thing about This is the End is how the demons are drawn to people doing bad things. In the scene where Jonah is raped/possessed it's fairly obvious that the demon comes immediately after he wishes for Jay to die or w/e it was that he said in his prayer. Less obvious is that the big dog demon is drawn to Jay and Craig only after they start discussing leaving the others behind and staying in the new house.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is the End is the best appocolypse movie I've seen in a while.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it got a bit boring towards the end, but I enjoyed most of it. It has the best IMDB quotations ever:

Danny McBride: You're telling me James Franco didn't suck a dick last night? Now I know you're lying.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/quotes

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

This is the End

At the beginning of the movie when they're going to the convenience store in the background there's a billboard for a movie called Ninja Rapist.

The ninja's eyes are the exact same as the eyes of the demon who rapes Jonah Hill.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I haven't seen it since it came out, but if I remember correctly, in the same scene Seth buys the Milky Way that they have the fight over, where James Franco claims he bought to eat after his party.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Apparently the sequel will be set at the premier of This is the End, which I assume will allow them to bring back all the original characters, hopefully including rear end in a top hat Michael Cera.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

This is the End is the best appocolypse movie I've seen in a while.

So you haven't seen one lately, then? It was OK, it had a few funny bits, but mostly it was dumb, stilted and awkward. Also I have no idea who Danny McBride is, so I probably missed a joke there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He's just a guy who plays rear end in a top hat characters, best known for Eastbound and Down where he plays his infamous Kenny Powers (who is pretty much who his character in this movie is).

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

He's just a guy who plays rear end in a top hat characters, best known for Eastbound and Down where he plays his infamous Kenny Powers (who is pretty much who his character in this movie is).

Back for the fourth season I might add fuckers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since it's Halloween coming up, The Rocky Horror Picture Show has a lot of subtle moments, especially for such an unsubtle and over the top film. I like when Riff Raff and Magenta spin the flowers around at the opening wedding scene to make them dead and the subtle nod to "American Gothic" in a few of those shots.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Not super subtle but a nice bit of imagery from Gravity: when Sandra Bullock enters the international space station after floating around in space for an hour, she takes off her suit and floats around silently in the fetal position for a few minutes to calm herself down. Its a great bit of symbolism for the womb-like safety of the ISS, there is even a hose or tube or something hanging behind her to look like an umbilical cord.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sure these from The World's End have been mentioned but I only saw it recently.

I thought about at what point Oliver got assimilated afterwards and realized it must have been when he went to the loo in one pub, and then realized that pub was The Trusty Servant, but because Edgar Wright must have known everyone in the audience would be looking for the plot connection in each pub's name, he set the whole thing about the Reverend Green in there to distract from what the real relevance was. I like that a lot.

The headset Oliver wears is a bit of foreshadowing that he's going to be assimilated - he's the one member of the group who's already plugged into the Network all the time. But also, although this one might be reaching a bit, there's his birthmark. There's an idea around conspiracy theorists that some variety of modern technology - mostly RFID chips - is the mark of the beast mentioned in the book of Revelations and a sign of the end times, which already ties in with the Network providing humanity's technology, but also the number of the beast is of course 666, and Oliver's birthmark is shaped like a 6. And I'm in no position to check but I have a hunch that it might be prominently on screen three times throughout the movie.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't blink at all in Terminator 2.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't blink at all in Terminator 2.

Nor Haley Joel Osment or Jude Law in A.I., I believe

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Every cop in The Untouchables who drinks onscreen gets killed later.

When the big scary guy in Hot Fuzz gets knocked out, he falls into a freezer full of peas. I just noticed that the brand was Jolly Green Giant.

Goodbye Horses was a pretty good song to play during Buffalo Bill's dance scene because the song is sung by a woman who sounds like a man. I didn't find out that the singer was a woman until years after I first watched the movie.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Oct 6, 2013

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Celery Face posted:

Goodbye Horses was a pretty good song to play during Buffalo Bill's dance scene because the song is sung by a woman who sounds like a man. I didn't find out that the singer was a woman until years after I first watched the movie.

It shows up again in the 2012 remake of Maniac, when the killer goes back to his date's apartment and she puts on some music. Not exactly subtle, granted, but clever and unexpected.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Riptor posted:

Nor Haley Joel Osment or Jude Law in A.I., I believe

Or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Not because he's a robot, just creepy. :stare:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Similarly, I think Darth Maul only blinks once in The Phantom Menace, right when Obi-Wan chops him in half. Not that he really has a ton of screen time, but hey.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Edit: That was a mistake that I regret

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Really? To me it was very obviously a female contralto. Your point still stands, though, as contralto is the lowest (and hence most mannish) female register.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I always thought it was a man.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure these from The World's End have been mentioned but I only saw it recently.

I thought about at what point Oliver got assimilated afterwards and realized it must have been when he went to the loo in one pub, and then realized that pub was The Trusty Servant, but because Edgar Wright must have known everyone in the audience would be looking for the plot connection in each pub's name, he set the whole thing about the Reverend Green in there to distract from what the real relevance was. I like that a lot.

The headset Oliver wears is a bit of foreshadowing that he's going to be assimilated - he's the one member of the group who's already plugged into the Network all the time. But also, although this one might be reaching a bit, there's his birthmark. There's an idea around conspiracy theorists that some variety of modern technology - mostly RFID chips - is the mark of the beast mentioned in the book of Revelations and a sign of the end times, which already ties in with the Network providing humanity's technology, but also the number of the beast is of course 666, and Oliver's birthmark is shaped like a 6. And I'm in no position to check but I have a hunch that it might be prominently on screen three times throughout the movie.

The Trusty Servant is also the 6th pub.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Maybe this is subtle, I don't know.

Breaking Bad finale spoilers - At the top left of that image, is that a castor seed pod? I have looked up some on GIS and I couldn't really be sure. They looked kind of spikier I guess. Of course, this is the scene where Walt slips her the ricin, which comes from castor seeds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CoolZidane posted:

[World's End] The Trusty Servant is also the 6th pub.
Oh poo poo, that is subtle if it's intended. I could only recall when you see it in the intro scene right at the start and then later when they reveal him to be a blank.

Also thought of another one just now regarding his connection to the Network: not only is he wearing the headset, he's also using internet abbreviations in real life. WTF indeed.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
More World's End, sorry if it's been posted already, it's not THAT subtle: After the fight at the Cross Hands, nobody can get a mobile phone signal. "Must be the network."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

Or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Not because he's a robot, just creepy. :stare:

He does blink actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IayQ9MAl4