Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

MeramJert posted:

Yeah those hotel positions pay nothing, I've heard.

Lol, I've been seeing local restaurants paying 5000 now, plus room and board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah all I'm getting out of this is that you turned down a crazy night.

I get enough buggery at home. And my friend didn't turn it down.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I get enough buggery at home. And my friend didn't turn it down.

You leaving today? Pity the weather was so lovely. If you know somewhere that poster will have a happy home in Australia, then keep it. I'll be going back to the museum and can easily grab another.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

BadAstronaut posted:

You leaving today? Pity the weather was so lovely. If you know somewhere that poster will have a happy home in Australia, then keep it. I'll be going back to the museum and can easily grab another.

I'm already home. The hotel wasn't keen on me leaving the poster for you to pick up, so I was just going to mail it. If you want me to keep it, PM me your Paypal or something so I can compensate you, but I'm also happy just to post it still.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Lol, I've been seeing local restaurants paying 5000 now, plus room and board.

Haha yeah the hot pot chain, Hai Di Lao, pay that much and provide housing. The housing is more like a dorm setting but at least its free!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What do the Shanghai goons tend to get up to when it's raining? Much of the stuff I planned on seeing today required walking/being outside and today was a lovely, lovely day to do that.

Tomorrow looks to be more of the same...

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I visited Beijing with some Chinese friends last week. One of them kept asking me where various foreigners were from, as if I'm supposed to be able to visually distinguish a white guy from England from a white guy from Canada from a white guy from the US. Eventually she asked me to ask some black guy if she could have her picture taken with him :negative:.

New Coke fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 6, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

New Coke posted:

I visited Beijing with some Chinese friends last week. One of them kept asking me where various foreigners were from, as if I'm supposed to be able to visually distinguish a white guy from England from a white guy from Canada from a white guy from the US. Eventually she asked me to ask some black guy if she could have her picture taken with him :negative:.

Also, all white foreigners speak English.

fake_roogle
Jun 20, 2008

caberham posted:

Ok beijing goons, I will be coming in 17-20 October. You guys know any good places in Wu Dao Kou? I will probably spend a night near there, if you guys got any recommendations for restaurants that would be great. And just for hilarity, some time in propaganda bar.
I live in 五道口, I'm sure I could give John (建明儿儿儿儿儿~~~~) a holler and we can meet up and be bad enough guys to save the president. He doesn't drink though, but that's okay. FearCotton's post is pretty accurate, there's a couple of other spots like an all you can eat sushi place (58 RMB/pp, 2 hour limit, unlimited drinks included) that is a favourite haunt of ours. It's a bit of a distance from the subway but either walking or getting a cab is trivial. The quality is what you'd expect from a place that pushes quantity rather than quality, but it's hard to argue with the price. I was about to suggest a good Canto chain and then I remembered that you're coming from HK... Regardless! If you're up for it, I'm sure we can arrange some general tomfoolery.

also i'm sorry for posting in the old wechat group like once a year :(

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Really though isn't this the case like 80-90% of the time?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes. It's really only an annoyance for the long-time residents, you have no idea how many times random idiots have yelled HA LOU at us. It gets old after the first 300 times. Or the jerks who ask you for (free!) English lessons apropos of nothing. These types of people poison the well for the genuinely nice people who just want to make friendly small talk and practice their English a little.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

fake_roogle posted:

FearCotton's post is pretty accurate, there's a couple of other spots like an all you can eat sushi place (58 RMB/pp, 2 hour limit, unlimited drinks included) that is a favourite haunt of ours. It's a bit of a distance from the subway but either walking or getting a cab is trivial. The quality is what you'd expect from a place that pushes quantity rather than quality, but it's hard to argue with the price.

Where is this? I'm also around 五道口, and that sounds like my kind of place

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Second this, I'm not far from Wudaokou.

Also, because the pollution has been poo poo so far this fall.

This was from this past spring, 2 days in the 'Hazardous' range. I've got one looking dirtier than this one just from this past week. This is supposed to be the cleanest season in Beijing, winter is going to kill us all.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 6, 2013

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

VideoTapir posted:

Heh, I suppose my post came off like I was making that same fallacy. I left out most of Europe because there is actually such thing as French, Italian, Russian, etc. features, and some people with a good eye for that sort of thing can make out someone's ethnicity with at least better-than-nothing reliability. Asking if someone looks American or Canadian makes no sense, though (and I threw England in there because there's no way to visually tell whether someone is from England or a Canadian of English ancestry).

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Aero737 posted:

This was from this past spring, 2 days in the 'Hazardous' range. I've got one looking dirtier than this one just from this past week. This is supposed to be the cleanest season in Beijing, winter is going to kill us all.

Wow, that's terribad. And to think Fearcotton and I walked around for a year there without masks. Idiotic, but the pollution seemed quite manageable...until winter. We went to Seoul on business in the middle of January 2012, and when we came back the smog was just unbelievable, especially in comparison with South Korea (where the Beijing pollution had been on the news constantly during our trip, of course). After that, we were glad when work assigned us to a new position down here in Yuyao, which is beautiful year-round.

I loved Beijing and will always love visiting, but when the pollution got bad, it did seem like the benefits no longer outweighed the health risks, especially when your wife has asthma.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I was thinking more that your friend was thinking that.

When I go to the Russian area in Beijing (between Dongdaqiao and Chaoyangmen), all the Chinese people speak to me in Russian (of which I know hardly a word). If a Russian speaks to me, it's in English or Chinese. THEY can tell.

Aero737 posted:

Second this, I'm not far from Wudaokou.

Also, because the pollution has been poo poo so far this fall.

WTF, were you outside all day? Running a marathon? I've been using the same one for months and it isn't that bad.

fake_roogle
Jun 20, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's opposite Furunjiayuan/Golden Towers, in a complex which has Hanashan Korean BBQ on 2 or 3F. If you see a Big Pizza on the ground floor, you're in the right building - it's on 5F.

They do 2 tiers - 58 and 88 RMB. The 88 allows you access to the 'fancier' stuff like tuna, salmon and eel (although I can't say I'm a huge fan of the eel there).

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
One more day till we come out! Looks like Beijing air quality is bordering on crazy bad, so that will be an experience, I guess. I grew up in L.A. in the 80's so I'm not unfamiliar with bad air, but I guess it will be just a bit beyond anything I've seen if it stays bad. Hopefully it will clear up by next weekend which is when we're planning to do our walking around.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

When I go to the Russian area in Beijing (between Dongdaqiao and Chaoyangmen), all the Chinese people speak to me in Russian (of which I know hardly a word). If a Russian speaks to me, it's in English or Chinese. THEY can tell.

It's because you're not wearing a tracksuit.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

It's because you're not wearing a tracksuit.

This deserves a :golfclap:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

BadAstronaut posted:

What do the Shanghai goons tend to get up to when it's raining? Much of the stuff I planned on seeing today required walking/being outside and today was a lovely, lovely day to do that.

I didn't really do much today but take a stroll through the local malls looking for weird electronic gadgets I might not get back home, didn't find anything though. The humidity and the rain were kinda killing other activities. Departing tomorrow evening, but I hope to return next year.

Also all the talk about language teaching is interesting, but I guess German teachers are not in high demand ?!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

My old school hired a black person accidentally, and then sent her to Henan.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
That's a good thread title.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

BadAstronaut posted:

Yuan Yue 月圆火锅 is apparently a great place to get Hot Pot if you venture out for something to eat.

http://www.dianping.com/shop/504533

黄浦区宁海东路270号(云南南路口)
电话: 021-63111796
No 270, haidong Rd, huangpu District

荠菜百叶包 and 热气羊肉 are two of the wife's favorites.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yuan Yue 月圆火锅 is apparently a great place to get Hot Pot if you venture out for something to eat.

http://www.dianping.com/shop/504533

黄浦区宁海东路270号(云南南路口)
电话: 021-63111796
No 270, haidong Rd, huangpu District

荠菜百叶包 and 热气羊肉 are two of the wife's favorites.

I prefer HOUSE MUSIC RESTAURANT

Because HOUSE MUSIC RESTAURANT

Not far from Dashijie. Hotpot, with interesting soups (Tom Yam, anyone?) - and lets face it, hotpot is basically just boiled meat so after about 50kuai pp it's all the same.

Unless you go to Haidilao, but that's Beijing.

yidlove
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys! I'm going to be visiting China (Shanghai and Beijing, specifically) for about a week and a half in February of next year. I feel a bit overwhelmed as far as planning goes -- how do I make sure that we don't miss out on great stuff? Is there anything in either city that would you absolutely recommend? Anything seasonal that will be happening mid-February (aside from the pollution)? We'll be in Beijing from February 10th - 16th, and Shanghai from the 16th - 19th.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Winter in Beijing will be cold as balls and often windy. This kills the fun of most outside activities, but if you want to I always recommend the summer palace. It loses some charm during the winter when everything is brown and dead though (but is loving huge, it will take you two hours at least to make a circuit and see everything). Other things outside include Houhai area (a small lake) and Beihai Park. All will have a ton of winter activities and you can get dragged around the frozen lake by a goat. If you head here, check out the surrounding courtyard houses (Hutongs) for a taste of old Beijing.

Otherwise, I recommend the Military Museum. A ton of old cool communist stuff and a room dedicated to shot down American stuff from Korea.

Check out the Llama Temple to see one of the few working temples in eastern China.

Stay away from Badaling Great Wall if you can. It's easy to get to, but will be covered in Chinese tourists and dangerously slippery from frozen phlegm. Instead try and get to the Mutianyu section.

I haven't been to Ghost Street for a long time, but it used to be a cool place to get food.

Also, Feb 14 is the end of the Chinese New year. Expect crazy fireworks on every street corner as it's the last day they are legal in Beijing and everyone shoots off the discounted fireworks.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Aero737 posted:

Check out the Llama Temple to see one of the few working temples in eastern China.

:newlol: It's the Lama Temple, not a temple to Andean camelids. Although I agree they deserve to be honored with a temple.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aero737 posted:

Otherwise, I recommend the Military Museum. A ton of old cool communist stuff and a room dedicated to shot down American stuff from Korea.

And the national museum. Best collection I've seen in Asia so far.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dilber posted:

TheBuilder posted:

That's a good thread title.

hahahahahahaa

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

hahahahahahaa

*lol

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Dilber posted:

Sometimes I think that "sent to Henan" is a lot like the "sent to Siberia" you see all the time in Chekhov stories.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fake_roogle posted:

I live in 五道口, I'm sure I could give John (建明儿儿儿儿儿~~~~) a holler and we can meet up and be bad enough guys to save the president. He doesn't drink though, but that's okay. FearCotton's post is pretty accurate, there's a couple of other spots like an all you can eat sushi place (58 RMB/pp, 2 hour limit, unlimited drinks included) that is a favourite haunt of ours. It's a bit of a distance from the subway but either walking or getting a cab is trivial. The quality is what you'd expect from a place that pushes quantity rather than quality, but it's hard to argue with the price. I was about to suggest a good Canto chain and then I remembered that you're coming from HK... Regardless! If you're up for it, I'm sure we can arrange some general tomfoolery.

also i'm sorry for posting in the old wechat group like once a year :(

Awesome, goon is still alive.

Yeah next Friday goon meet Beijing. Time for me to experience some amazing pollution :china: So I'm thinking of :catdrugs: laser tag :catdrugs: and going to a duck place. I know not everyone likes to drink so we can gather at awfully chocolate. Or got to great leap brewery and drink soda.

Anyways will write more soon. I'm going to Shenzhen/Guangzhou for 2 days :ohdear:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

Awesome, goon is still alive.

Yeah next Friday goon meet Beijing. Time for me to experience some amazing pollution :china: So I'm thinking of :catdrugs: laser tag :catdrugs: and going to a duck place. I know not everyone likes to drink so we can gather at awfully chocolate. Or got to great leap brewery and drink soda.

Anyways will write more soon. I'm going to Shenzhen/Guangzhou for 2 days :ohdear:

Depending on the schedule and location I may be able to attend.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
We're in Beijing! In some wierd twilight state due to timezones and 16 hours of flying.

vvvv e: I'm actually doing the first thing. Just over 24 hours awake, and maybe one more to go. Also had to sprint across two terminal-lengths in Dulles to make the connection after a weather delay!

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 8, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I Greyhound posted:

In some wierd twilight state due to timezones and 16 hours of flying.

Maybe you should have planned your sleep schedule better. For future reference: If you're arriving at your destination in the evening, do not sleep on the plane, you wanna be dead tired when you get there. If you are arriving in the morning, get as much sleep as you can on the plane. You will hit the ground running.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe you should have planned your sleep schedule better. For future reference: If you're arriving at your destination in the evening, do not sleep on the plane, you wanna be dead tired when you get there. If you are arriving in the morning, get as much sleep as you can on the plane. You will hit the ground running.

I'm always sleepy when I come to China doesn't matter what. I sleep for like a week straight and I'm good. I never get messed up the other way though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm always sleepy when I come to China doesn't matter what. I sleep for like a week straight and I'm good. I never get messed up the other way though.

I'm completely the opposite of this. No matter what, whenever I go back to the US I'm crashing all day for 2 weeks but I've never had any problem going the other direction.

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010
I have a Bank of China UnionPay debit card that I used while I was last living in China. I am going back for a month and still have the card but no details about my account. I've been to Bank of China in Sydney but apparently it's not connected to the mainland.

Anybody know how I can find my bank details based on my debit card. After that, is it possible to put some more money on my account without incurring horrendous fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

danse macabre posted:

I have a Bank of China UnionPay debit card that I used while I was last living in China. I am going back for a month and still have the card but no details about my account. I've been to Bank of China in Sydney but apparently it's not connected to the mainland.

Anybody know how I can find my bank details based on my debit card. After that, is it possible to put some more money on my account without incurring horrendous fees?

You can probably just go to an ATM and check your balance if you remember the PIN. Unless you had monthly fees on your account or something you maybe be lucky and have accrued a few mao worth of interest on whatever you had left in there.

Pro-PRC, care to chime in? I'll be in this situation with BoC or ICBC next time I'm come to the mainland.