Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
EDIT: Ah well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Say Nothing posted:

Notice Saitama is sitting at the head of the table, which is probably why Chibi-Tornado looks so pissed off.

My favourite bit is that they clearly have just set out enough chairs for all the S-class heroes, and had to pull up an extra chair because Saitama is there (and they are leaving No 1's empty for some reason), but Genos gave his chair to Saitama and took the extra one himself :v:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Are you talking about the original version in the Murata thread straight after posts saying NOT TO POST ABOUT THE ORIGINAL VERSION IN THE MURATA THREAD?

Is it really that hard?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

My favourite bit is that they clearly have just set out enough chairs for all the S-class heroes, and had to pull up an extra chair because Saitama is there (and they are leaving No 1's empty for some reason), but Genos gave his chair to Saitama and took the extra one himself :v:

Metal Knight also didn't show up, so they just took his chair for Saitama. There's no empty chair between King and Child Emperor. Though according to their seating arrangement, not only is Saitama the strongest but Genos is number two. They're the only ones not sitting in their ranked order.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Are you talking about the original version in the Murata thread straight after posts saying NOT TO POST ABOUT THE ORIGINAL VERSION IN THE MURATA THREAD?

Is it really that hard?

When the title of both threads is just "One Punch Man" and both threads are talking about the same thing, yes, it is a little hard.

Its not a coincidence that theres been like 5 fuckups on the last page alone when theres almost never a problem with split threads aside from intentional trolling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Meme Emulator posted:

When the title of both threads is just "One Punch Man" and both threads are talking about the same thing, yes, it is a little hard.

Its not a coincidence that theres been like 5 fuckups on the last page alone when theres almost never a problem with split threads aside from intentional trolling.

So what do we want to message Zorak and ask him to namechange this one to include [MURATA] in the title or something?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shugojin posted:

So what do we want to message Zorak and ask him to namechange this one to include [MURATA] in the title or something?

We better come up with something before Zorak comes in here and starts bustin' fuckin' heads for all the spoilers and the derails about spoilers. An extreme option would be just to ban Onepunch-Man threads altogeather, but I think if everyone just tried alot harder maybe this could be the last spoiler derail we have.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you actually read the thread title before you post, it's pretty clear which thread is which. This is Onepunch-Man - The God of Comics has descended, and the poo poo just blew the gently caress up. The One thread is Onepunch-man by ONE - I may destroy the earth if this day gets any shittier.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Because reading OPs and taking a moment to think before posting, as the rules demand, is soooooo hard.

I'm going to continue probating everyone who breaks this rule because it's their own drat fault for not following the rules to think and be very sure that their posting is worthwhile before actually posting anything.

Also: none of this crap is on-topic so maybe y'all should be talking about the drat comic rather than pretending that you have any say on policy or what folks should be doing?

I expect better of you lot.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 6, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
edit: loving timing

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What I enjoy most about Murata's artwork is his complete disregard for fan-service, where as mangas like Fairy Tail can't seem to go two panels without being overindulgent.

So my question is, does fan-service really move product in japan, or does it just make up for a lack of artistic talent?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

international owl day posted:

So my question is, does fan-service really move product in japan, or does it just make up for a lack of artistic talent?

My gut feeling (and yes, I appreciate the irony here), is that no-one actually knows; they expect it too, but have never checked. I think there was a study not so long ago on the use of sex appeal in advertising, that, contrary to expectations, sex does not sell, it actually reduces the effectiveness of advertising. May or may not be relevant here.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

What I enjoy most about Murata's artwork is his complete disregard for fan-service, where as mangas like Fairy Tail can't seem to go two panels without being overindulgent.

It's clearly the former because Saitama looks fuckin' awesome in that second panel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would seem to me that in titles where it's about fan-service that it would move product. However most of the time it's probably not making a difference and is there either because the artist likes it or the editors/artist think it will up sales. For example, I doubt people would quit reading Fairy Tail if it suddenly stopped with the fan-service.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

My gut feeling (and yes, I appreciate the irony here), is that no-one actually knows; they expect it too, but have never checked. I think there was a study not so long ago on the use of sex appeal in advertising, that, contrary to expectations, sex does not sell, it actually reduces the effectiveness of advertising. May or may not be relevant here.

If I remember the conclusions of those types of studies correctly it was something along the lines of people remembering that a sexy ad was sexy, but not actually remembering what was being advertised. It gets that short burst of attention, but doesn't leave any lasting impressions. Granted since most fanservice heavy manga is basically not even trying to be anything but fanservice, I guess it's effective. Speaking only for myself, I've become desensitized to that kind of stuff so much that it's not really a deal breaker unless it's really, really egregious or out of place (doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes pretty hard, though), and even sometimes if a design is interesting I'm cool with it because that's the least you can do if you're going to have no real substance, but it's certainly refreshing to see series like this one that don't rely on it at all and actually carry themselves by being really fun.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Naruto doesn't do fan service and is extremely popular.

Well, apart from Naruto transforming into a naked girl occasionally, which is more cringe-worthy than sexy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Saitama has self branded underwear/speedos

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Naruto doesn't do fan service and is extremely popular.

Well, apart from Naruto transforming into a naked girl occasionally, which is more cringe-worthy than sexy.

Naruto is also for children. Most fanservice-heavy stuff is aimed at the 18+ niche market.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm rereading the series again and the one thing I'm not sure of is if Saitama's apartment was always in a rundown part of town or him being there has slowly caused everyone to move out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think it's more that he picked a cheap part of town, due to being broke, and the increasing rate of monster appearances made everyone else move to safer and better parts of the city. But Saitama didn't bother, because he's Saitama.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

I have a name for you: Akira Hiramoto.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think part of the point of these frames is to highlight the fact that both of these characters are almost always drawn comically off model.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Giggily posted:

I think part of the point of these frames is to highlight the fact that both of these characters are almost always drawn comically off model.

For people who havent read the original, off model Tornado is pretty much exactly how shes drawn by One. I really liked that lil detail.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cisneros posted:

I have a name for you: Akira Hiramoto.

"Black blues musician in the 1920s Deep South" is (sadly) a much more niche premise than "revolt against abusive and absurdly powerful student council" even before we factor in fanservice, though.

I take Gyges/chumbler's point that fanservice works when fanservice is the point, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

I'm not sure what you are talking about because that's some Grade A man-service. :pervert:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

I'm not sure what you are talking about because that's some Grade A man-service. :pervert:
Murata brings ONE's art to life in a way that astounds me every chapter, here I like Saitama's and Tatsumaki's portrait here because they are Grade A fan-service, but are exquisite examples of fan-service without unnecessary or over-indulgent sexual hyper-exaggeration, which isn't to say Murata doesn't draw that too:

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 7, 2013

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Murata brings ONE's art to life in a way that astounds me every chapter, here I like Saitama's and Tatsumaki's portrait here because they are Grade A fan-service, but are exquisite examples of fan-service without unnecessary or over-indulgent sexual hyper-exaggeration, which isn't to say Murata doesn't draw that too:

Man the Sea King has such a great design and those pasties are a touch of genius. I really like the way he draws eyes too.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Flython posted:

Man the Sea King has such a great design and those pasties are a touch of genius. I really like the way he draws eyes too.

I also just noticed he has hearts for nipples.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

The Holy Queef posted:

I also just noticed he has hearts for nipples.

We've long since decided those are pasties.

Due to Adventure Time I find myself really hoping that Guard Dog Man is a man inside of an actual dog rather than just wearing a costume.

Liar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 14, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just read the 26 chapters now and I'm still not convinced Sonic Dude is a man.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I just read the 26 chapters now and I'm still not convinced Sonic Dude is a man.

He was stopped by a dick tap, what else is there to say?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

He was stopped by a dick tap, what else is there to say?

Getting hit in the groin hurts for women too!

Elysiume posted:

He's a man.

I am aware. As I said, I've read up to that far..

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 15, 2013

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He's a man.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Guys Sonic's a hedgehog.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I have yet to see him consume or even profess his love for chili dogs. No Sale. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is he just cool? Or way past cool? :colbert:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Guys Sonic's a hedgehog.

Well he is rolling around at the speed of sound

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I love the monsters in this so much.

I SHADOW BOXED TOO MUCH NOW IM A MONSTER

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Someone sent this band a request to make an anime OP song for OPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl0gRhqrOFM

Murata's art doesn't look a bit out of place used in place of where animation would usually go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Murata himself retweeted the video. That must be pretty awesome.