Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

WOT in any gear on a 250 is pretty much asking for a speeding ticket, and I don't like driving like a dong.

Head for the Waitakeres. It'll kill you or make you a man! Seriously scenic drive is one of the most terrifying and poorly-engineered roads I've ever seen, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

the bsd boys posted:

The last tank I put into my 2008 ninja 250r got me 32.7 mpg. Spirited riding will definitely kill a 250's fuel economy.

My first tank after it sat for a while was 40. Next was around 44. With some tame city driving I got it up to the ">50" I said which was really 49 at its best. I keep thinking something might be wrong with it, but then I remember how I ride. A guy told me he was getting 60-65 mpg but he also said he went into 6th at 25mph...

Odette posted:

WOT in any gear on a 250 is pretty much asking for a speeding ticket, and I don't like driving like a dong.

I come off as a snarky rear end in a top hat a lot it seems, and some of that is on purpose, like playing a character. Some of it is just me though. Like now...if you aren't joking then I can't help you.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Head for the Waitakeres. It'll kill you or make you a man! Seriously scenic drive is one of the most terrifying and poorly-engineered roads I've ever seen, it's great.

The road out to Piha is terrible. The locals there like to drive like jackasses, and one of my friends actually got run off the road there. :(

nsaP posted:

I come off as a snarky rear end in a top hat a lot it seems, and some of that is on purpose, like playing a character. Some of it is just me though. Like now...if you aren't joking then I can't help you.

I never know when someone's loving with me, or being serious on the internet!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Here's a phone camera pic a mate of mine took of me on my brand new ride. Picked it up yesterday and I've spent almost every waking hour since riding it, LOL. gently caress, it's nice. Coming from 30hp it's BANANAS, even while going to some effort to limit myself to around 5-6K RPM in the early stages of run-in.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/993424_10152193393006729_244528817_n.jpg

Do we have to host our own pics even if they come from Facebook, or is it kosher to post facebook pics directly into the thread?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Do we have to host our own pics even if they come from Facebook, or is it kosher to post facebook pics directly into the thread?

use imgur? http://www.imgur.com

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

When I have a better pic to post, I may do that. :)

I was just wondering what the rules were nowadays. I guess I should go look them up, eh?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's to protect tiny webhosts from falling over by the massive increase of literally tens of goons downloading pictures from it. Facebook won't even feel a sting.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

KARMA! posted:

It's to protect tiny webhosts from falling over by the massive increase of literally tens of goons downloading pictures from it. Facebook won't even feel a sting.

That's what I figure, Facebook wasn't the beast that it is now when those rules were written. Probably wasn't even around, for that matter. That said, I don't wanna get probated so I'll not test it out. :P

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

5-6K RPM in the early stages of run-in.

You don't have to do that.

Don't stay at any one RPM range too long for the first few hundred miles, don't stay constantly at red-line if you can avoid it, but basically, ride it like you normally would.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Spiffness posted:

Don't stay at any one RPM range too long for the first few hundred miles, don't stay constantly at red-line if you can avoid it, but basically, ride it like you normally would.

So basically ... ride it like you stole it? :v:

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Finally pulling the photos from my trips down and up 101.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm sort of hedging my bets between the full-on ride it like you normally would break in and the factory-advised break in, so I'm not babying it but possibly not going as hard as I could be.

In the first 100km I gave it plenty of fairly strong pulls to 5-6k RPM, lots of engine braking, no lugging and varied RPM. Hopefully that's good enough, because I think I've missed the window to influence ring seal at this point, about 200 or so km in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Last pic of the Honda as I prep up to sell her.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Last pic of the Honda as I prep up to sell her.

That's in amazing shape. Hawk II 400? Automatic?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
1980 CB400T Hawk, 6 speed box.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a terrible picture of a really, really irresponsible thing I got today.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On the plus side, the stealth paint will mean that nobody will see you doing 180mph in places where you really really shouldn't.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

darth cookie posted:

On the plus side, the stealth paint will mean that nobody will see you doing 180mph in places where you really really shouldn't.

You mean everywhere I can, right? I'm taking that as everywhere I can.

It's my first litresport and the first bike I've been genuinely scared of since I graduated from a 250 to a CBR400 (which felt like a MONSTER!). Pussycat at low speeds though; the gearing is so long it's difficult to get in trouble with the throttle unless you really, really mean it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

It's my first litresport and the first bike I've been genuinely scared of since I graduated from a 250 to a CBR400 (which felt like a MONSTER!). Pussycat at low speeds though; the gearing is so long it's difficult to get in trouble with the throttle unless you really, really mean it.

A larger rear sprocket will take care of that nicely :getin:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm curious if the argument for vibrations at 90mph are much less harsh than at 80mph on a literbike will swing a judge :\

Overall I find literbikes quite easy to ride, especially newer models where the weight different between literbikes and supersports isn't that huge these days, fuel economy is roughly the same. I remember when the 2004 ZX10r came out it was touted as being a literbike in a 600cc package. Even prices are roughly the same in the used market.

Just have to exercise good throttle discipline while leaned over, or hell even on straights I suppose unless you like to effortlessly do 90+ all the time, the highway patrol certainly don't approve from my experience :v

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

yes. This. But if you spread yourself thinly over several miles of road I will mock you as the squid you are. Live by sword blah blah and all that.

quote:

If you aren't spending most of your time looking at the sky over the dash, you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

joneseyjnr2002
Jun 18, 2013
Enjoying the English summer on my Thundercat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

I'm curious if the argument for vibrations at 90mph are much less harsh than at 80mph on a literbike will swing a judge :\

Overall I find literbikes quite easy to ride, especially newer models where the weight different between literbikes and supersports isn't that huge these days, fuel economy is roughly the same. I remember when the 2004 ZX10r came out it was touted as being a literbike in a 600cc package. Even prices are roughly the same in the used market.

Just have to exercise good throttle discipline while leaned over, or hell even on straights I suppose unless you like to effortlessly do 90+ all the time, the highway patrol certainly don't approve from my experience :v

Those 04-05s were known as widowmakers. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Those 04-05s were known as widowmakers. :v:

That's what I read; I think that's why they're cheap compared to the blade/gsxr of the same vintage, at least here in NZ. And litersports in general are cheaper than 600's; for the same money I could've gotten an 02/03 R6 instead which seems like an enormous ripoff.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

My 1974 Honda CB350F.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

DevCore posted:

My 1974 Honda CB350F.

loving nice, dude.

How's it run? What's the top end?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

DevCore posted:

My 1974 Honda CB350F.

Where's the battery?

chad4yew
Jul 22, 2007
. . .

Verr posted:

Where's the battery?

My guess is that it's been relocated to the seat hump.
Very nice bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's on the deck?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

front wing flexing posted:

loving nice, dude.

How's it run? What's the top end?

Thanks!
It actually runs quite fantastically. It also sounds like a beast, super throaty.
I haven't pushed it too much as far at top end, but I've gotten it up to 75 before I let it back down. I don't think it had much more over that though.

Verr posted:

Where's the battery?

Yeah it's tucked up behind the seat, along with a minimal tool kit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I have a terrible picture of a really, really irresponsible thing I got today.

Handlebar, -1/+2 gearing, enjoy the experience until the police or the wheelies kill you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The green plastidip is coming along nicely. It was kind of a bitch masking off the Ulysses logo in the bottom right of the front fairing; I'll probably use a razor blade when I go to do the airbox cover.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?
I got this a week ago. It's the first thing with a motor and two wheels I've ever owned, unless you count one half of a camry. It's a 2009.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Probably the closest thing to a genuine "new classic." I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Royal Enfield. I would love to give one a go one day. :allears:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Miskatonic U. posted:

I got this a week ago. It's the first thing with a motor and two wheels I've ever owned, unless you count one half of a camry. It's a 2009.

You've got taste, but you've also hosed up my very long list of "what's next to buy". drat you. Is the frame of this replica just as prone to "high-speed"-wobbling as the original? If so, I think I must own one.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

The green plastidip is coming along nicely. It was kind of a bitch masking off the Ulysses logo in the bottom right of the front fairing; I'll probably use a razor blade when I go to do the airbox cover.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out and what kind of durability you get on a bike. I'd like to try it on my dual sport.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

You've got taste, but you've also hosed up my very long list of "what's next to buy". drat you. Is the frame of this replica just as prone to "high-speed"-wobbling as the original? If so, I think I must own one.

It's not a replica, it's a real proper Royal Enfield Bullet, which has been in continuous production for like 60 or 70 years or something. Only difference is that it's made in India now. Same basic everything, same frame as ~50 years ago, although the engine is EFI now.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not a replica, it's a real proper Royal Enfield Bullet, which has been in continuous production for like 60 or 70 years or something. Only difference is that it's made in India now. Same basic everything, same frame as ~50 years ago, although the engine is EFI now.

The "made in India" stamp is enough to convince me that frame is indeed still a dangerous, guaranteed tank-slapper. The EFI is a turn-off :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Miskatonic U. posted:

Nice! Join us in the DC thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gweenz posted:

I'm very interested to see how this turns out and what kind of durability you get on a bike. I'd like to try it on my dual sport.

I ordered two cans from dipyourcar.com, and they wound up being only like $10 or $12 each with shipping. I'm doing very minor prep work -- mostly just wiping crud off before I spray. One can did everything you see there (four or five coats on each piece), and probably still has enough left for one or two coats of the next piece I do.

I'll probably do my front fender next, so that will be a good test. I'll keep posting pictures.