Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Chriskory posted:

I just bought cheap wheels and suspension for my (4th) miata.
If anyone is considering Megan coilovers, so far I'd recommend them over the Tein basic ones I had before.
They're matched with a Racing Beat front sway bar and the car feels pretty neutral, I wonder how they'll hold up to track days.

What wheels are those? I always thought the TE37 type wheels looked good on miatas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Man this is a good deal. Good lookin' car

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Hi Miata thread! I think I'm about to trade in my RX-8 for the more reliable and fuel efficient Miata and am very excited about doing it. I'll be daily driving it in Southern Ontario so a set of steelies and snow tires will be key. How much of an upgrade is a hardtop over the softtop in the winter? I am trying to value it when I go to try and look at these 5 cars this weekend:

2004 (w/Hardtop)
2002 (w/Hardtop)

Any comments or guidance for my search? I know there's a few Ontario Miata goons. I'm going to inspect like hell for rust on the rockers. I've also been advised that clutch chatter is an issue with the 01-02 NB's and will try and notice it accordingly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Make sure you get a LSD - it will help immensely in the snow.

Hardtop is nice to have for sure, but not 100% necessary for the winter, I was fine without one last winter.

Absolutely get one as rust free as possible, and wash the salt off constantly.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Voltage posted:

Make sure you get a LSD - it will help immensely in the snow.

Hardtop is nice to have for sure, but not 100% necessary for the winter, I was fine without one last winter.

Absolutely get one as rust free as possible, and wash the salt off constantly.

Yes, absolutely. It was invaluable on the RX-8, made it about a 100x easier to winter drive than my Volvo 240 (I am amassing a pretty sweet AI stereotype car history: 240, RX-8, Ninja 250, now a Miata to complete the circle).

I believe all the ones I linked have the Bose system and 6 speed so I believe they are supposed to have LSDs.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Haven't heard anything very positive about the Bose audio those all have.

I'm a big fan of the heated seats in winter but they don't seem to be a common option.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm considering putting the money that insurance gives me for the slashed soft-top towards a hard-top instead and doing a bodge-job patch on the soft. Is a used OEM hardtop for ~$1200 a better buy than a new aftermarket top from these guys or similar? http://www.smoothline.com/miata.php

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Edmund Honda posted:

Haven't heard anything very positive about the Bose audio those all have.

I'm a big fan of the heated seats in winter but they don't seem to be a common option.

I have the Bose speakers that I'm sure are identical or close for the RX-8 and they are in fact quite lame. I assume I'm gonna need some thumping bass to get over all this wind noise!

ohgodsoexcited. The hardest part is going to be not being a child and actually going to see all 5 that I identified.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Weinertron posted:

I'm considering putting the money that insurance gives me for the slashed soft-top towards a hard-top instead and doing a bodge-job patch on the soft. Is a used OEM hardtop for ~$1200 a better buy than a new aftermarket top from these guys or similar? http://www.smoothline.com/miata.php

A used OEM hardtop is almost always your best option. You should be able to score one for $900 if your'e patient. The going rate is about $1000. OEM hardtops will probably keep their resale value forever since they're not being made anymore and are the only hardtops approved for trackdays and racing by most organizations. If you want to take your car to the track with the hardtop on, you'll need an OEM hardtop.

The smoothline is also uglier :colbert:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Smoothline tops are terrible. They don't fit. They claim it is because all miata are different sizes. Chuckle. Avoid them unless they are free.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elephanthead posted:

Smoothline tops are terrible. They don't fit. They claim it is because all miata are different sizes. Chuckle. Avoid them unless they are free.

Yup.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=269885

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-exterior-sponsored-r-speed/32619-weird-miata-hardtop-wtf.html

Here's a decent resource for hardtops:

http://miata.fosketts.net/index.php?title=Buying_Miata_hard_tops

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Sadi posted:

What wheels are those? I always thought the TE37 type wheels looked good on miatas.

They are Rota Grid Classic in 15x7 +20.
A bit heavier then other options, but not as heavy as the Enkei Compe I was also considering

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 4, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Hi Miata thread! I think I'm about to trade in my RX-8 for the more reliable and fuel efficient Miata and am very excited about doing it. I'll be daily driving it in Southern Ontario so a set of steelies and snow tires will be key. How much of an upgrade is a hardtop over the softtop in the winter? I am trying to value it when I go to try and look at these 5 cars this weekend:

2004 (w/Hardtop)
2002 (w/Hardtop)

Any comments or guidance for my search? I know there's a few Ontario Miata goons. I'm going to inspect like hell for rust on the rockers. I've also been advised that clutch chatter is an issue with the 01-02 NB's and will try and notice it accordingly.

Depending on where you are in southern ontario we can always go for a test drive in mine 02:

I haven't bought a Miata for a couple of month now, so it's probably time to sell this one soon :)

@gmail

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Depending on where you are in southern ontario we can always go for a test drive in mine 02:

I haven't bought a Miata for a couple of month now, so it's probably time to sell this one soon :)

@gmail

Find me a rust-free 94-97 and I'll fly & drive so hard it will make a chiropractor permanently aroused.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Find me a rust-free 94-97 and I'll fly & drive so hard it will make a chiropractor permanently aroused.
Clearly all of those "rare mint perfect condition" ones must be rust-free?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dominoes posted:

Clearly all of those "rare mint perfect condition" ones must be rust-free?

It's weird - locally there are tons of garage kept perfect condition precious baby 1990s and 1991s that are sold for $7-8k, often with pretty high mileage anyway... there's some rusty/garbage/JDM 90/91s for $3-4k, and then there are absolutely no 94-97s and then a bunch of 99s that start at around 10k. It's really weird, I can't even put a finger on the pricing because there are no 1.8L NAs for sale locally. Even eBay Motors seems pretty thin on the ground with them.

Think I might have to take a trip to Seattle or something to get one, and even then they're not nearly as common as the 1.6 cars and NBs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 4, 2013

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

It's weird - locally there are tons of garage kept perfect condition precious baby 1990s and 1991s that are sold for $7-8k, often with pretty high mileage anyway... there's some rusty/garbage/JDM 90/91s for $3-4k, and then there are absolutely no 94-97s and then a bunch of 99s that start at around 10k. It's really weird, I can't even put a finger on the pricing because there are no 1.8L NAs for sale locally. Even eBay Motors seems pretty thin on the ground with them.

Think I might have to take a trip to Seattle or something to get one, and even then they're not nearly as common as the 1.6 cars and NBs.

One thing I have noticed is that with sports cars like these there is actually an advantage for finding low mileage older cars if they aren't typically a winter car. Nobody drives them in the winter (6 months)... so half the mileage!

Look at this guy for example: http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Limited-Edition-Convertible-Hardtop-W0QQAdIdZ512055623 . 93 with 100k miles for $5700 with a hardtop.

I really love the look of the NAs but I'm gonna be DD'ing this so I want to spring for a bit more polish. Going from the 240 to the RX-8 completely spoiled me.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
If you're looking in 7-8k range, just buy mine. Otherwise let me know the price range to keep an eye out on na1.8. There are at least two 97 speedsters that are for sale here right now at 6k and 10k.

Have you looked at importing one from Japan using that website from FD thread? They are some decent deals there last I looked.

Edit: I was referring to the SSS post, but the phone decided to post it later. That's why you should always quote, kids.

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 4, 2013

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

iv46vi posted:

If you're looking in 7-8k range, just buy mine. Otherwise let me know the price range to keep an eye out on na1.8. There are at least two 97 speedsters that are for sale here right now at 6k and 10k.

Have you looked on importing one from Japan using that website from FD thread? They are some decent deals there last I looked.

Sent ya an email!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I feel like I got pretty lucky with my '97 NA for $1200 even though it's rusted to gently caress and has a salvage title and 200k miles. I could only find either super expensive 1.6's owned by old people who never drove them and want like 8 grand, or overpriced NB's - 1.8 NA's are no where to be found. The frame on mine is completely fine and it's just cosmetic rust as far as I can tell. I've had it for about a year and it's been rock solid with basic maintenance even with autocross and constant redlining. The only issue I've had is lifter tick which I 'fixed' by using Shell Rotella T6 oil.

If this one ever fully explodes I'll try and find a rust free N/A shell and just swap in a 1.8, the drat thing is so easy to work on, cheap and so much fun I can't imagine not having a Miata.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I bought my '99 more than two years ago for 7.5K with hardtop, never winter driven, with 126K Km's around Toronto. Only rust is the rear trunk lid, the door sills and underbody is excellent. Of course now I've winter driven it and the underbody is a bit surface rusty, but not bad for Ontario.

A rust free '97 with 170? Km on it just went for ~7K, no rust, and a bunch of suspension work. Look on car club forums, this one was sold by a guy who does a lot of Ontario time attack and runs the regional autocross series as well. He beat the poo poo out of it, but maintained it impecibly. Casc forums are a good place to start.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

A rust free '97 with 170? Km on it just went for ~7K, no rust, and a bunch of suspension work. Look on car club forums, this one was sold by a guy who does a lot of Ontario time attack and runs the regional autocross series as well. He beat the poo poo out of it, but maintained it impecibly. Casc forums are a good place to start.

Our local autocross club is where I got my rustbag-but-with-great-mods 91 and that's how I've passed it along. Unfortunately it's a bit small, but the point is well taken. It's nice buying from someone who can actually tell you what the problems are with the car.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I went looking at the japanese site for exporting cars, and there's just so much cuteness:

91 for $600

96 automatic for $1200, looks like built by Q branch

97 automatic for $2400, "Timing belt is exchange finished"

Also, there are lots more auto than manual for some reason.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Uhh, since we're in Hardtop chat anybody know of a good resource for 2006+ Hardtops? The market sucks and eBay is useless, the PRHT really put a dent in RHTs for the NCs :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda dealer or Mazdaspeed.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Man this is a good deal. Good lookin' car
Thanks dude. Sold it today for $9500, off Craigslist. It took about a month and a half to sell.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Phone posted:

Mazda dealer or Mazdaspeed.

I probably know the answer to this but would Mazda dealers carry/be able to order NA/NB hardtops?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'm almost certain the NA/NB hardtops are no longer in production, so nope.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
And you could only order them unpainted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm back and it's time to buy a Miata. Leica and Nodoze have got me back on the Miata train, I have a hard cap of $10K to spend ( i can go a bit higher but I don't want to). Leica's pushing an NC, Nodoze NBs. So hit me with the pros and cons of each and what I should buy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

NC you driving a 7 year old car.
NB you're driving a (pretty) 23 year old car.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

NC you driving a 7 year old car.
NB you're driving a (pretty) 23 year old car.

uh, 14 at worst actually

unless this is a hurr NA/NB is the same thing post

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NA/NB are the same thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Phone posted:

NA/NB are the same thing.

Oh ok my mistake, that explains why I can't find the popup headlight switch in my '01

or why my engine seems kinda peppy for a 1.6

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I correct that only 6spd NCs came with a LSD?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's really weird how you can put a 1.6L engine in your car and it seems to just pop right into place and even bolts up to the same transmission. Same thing with the dash too.

It's almost as if... it's the same exact chassis/tub.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhyno posted:

Am I correct that only 6spd NCs came with a LSD?

AFAIK, yes. The Sport is the 5-speed and all trims above that had the handling package which is 6-speed + LSD.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phone posted:

It's really weird how you can put a 1.6L engine in your car and it seems to just pop right into place and even bolts up to the same transmission. Same thing with the dash too.

Has anybody actually ever put a 1.6 into an NB? I would consider that substantial evidence of mental illness.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
8k MSM for all your dd needs:
http://miataturbo.net/showthread.php?p=1056749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Phone posted:

Reading the first sentence it almost seems as if.....they use different engines....

this is a dumb argument through and through