Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hooah posted:

I don't now about iOS, but I've been using KeePass 2 and the Android app for at least a year now, and don't have any problems with it. It's a little awkward to use from my phone, since if I change a password from my computer (don't think you via phone), I have to make sure I open the database from Dropbox on my phone so that the app knows there's a new version. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

I've used KeePass in the past, and its implementation on iOS was pretty rough. It has been a while since I've done it, though, so I'll give it a shot. Right now I'm giving LastPass a try, which seems fairly functional on every OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Not sure if this is right place to ask this but maybe someone will know. DosBox: How do you take a screenshot that retains the filters such as SuperEagle and HQ4X using the in program SS shortcut? Do I have to take a screenshot using PrintScrn or something else? If so can you recommend me a good screenshot program for this purpose?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Hey guys,

At work we have a map I built in The Gimp. I'm looking for a piece of software that can take the image(format isn't important) and allow someone to draw lines all over it with the ability to go back later and make a change is necessary. Sorta like how PDFs work with annotating. In fact, we have used PDF's in the past but I'm hoping there's another way as I'm having some issues with Gimp exporting to PDF.

We just need to be able to open, reference, make changes as jobs are completed, and correct old/bad marks as needed.

Thank you

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

decypher posted:

Hey guys,

At work we have a map I built in The Gimp. I'm looking for a piece of software that can take the image(format isn't important) and allow someone to draw lines all over it with the ability to go back later and make a change is necessary. Sorta like how PDFs work with annotating. In fact, we have used PDF's in the past but I'm hoping there's another way as I'm having some issues with Gimp exporting to PDF.

We just need to be able to open, reference, make changes as jobs are completed, and correct old/bad marks as needed.

Thank you

Pretty sure you can do this in MS Word, import the image and go to Insert>Shapes, lines, call out boxes, etc.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Toadsniff posted:

Pretty sure you can do this in MS Word, import the image and go to Insert>Shapes, lines, call out boxes, etc.

I failed to mention the map is quite large and rather detailed.

MS Word would work for most stuff, I'm sure, but not this 17067x5068 image.

Just tried it, actually, and it brings Word to its knees.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Are there any good, light weight firewalls for Windows? I'm trying to reject a set of IP addresses, rather than block them, but Windows Firewall doesn't seem to have this functionality. I'm trying to disable the Virgin Youtube Cache if that helps.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toadsniff posted:

Not sure if this is right place to ask this but maybe someone will know. DosBox: How do you take a screenshot that retains the filters such as SuperEagle and HQ4X using the in program SS shortcut? Do I have to take a screenshot using PrintScrn or something else? If so can you recommend me a good screenshot program for this purpose?
If making a screenshot with PrntScrn gives you the right result (paste it in paint to check), you could take a look at GreenShot to autosave them somewhere without having to switch tasks all the time. I see GreenShot being recommended for regular screenshots all the time.

Megaspel posted:

I'm trying to reject a set of IP addresses, rather than block them
For my personal education, can I ask what the difference between either would be?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

decypher posted:

At work we have a map I built in The Gimp.

Thank you

Create a new layer(s) on top of the base image, then draw on those?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

decypher posted:

Hey guys,

Can you print to PDF instead of exporting normally? Or does printing break too?

I guess in general you probably want some vector drawing program, I don't know what the hot poo poo is in the free software world though. Inkscape?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Create a new layer(s) on top of the base image, then draw on those?
Not sure why I didn't think of this initially. Guess cause the other two who would be making their notes aren't really Gimp or photo editor savvy. It's gotta be pretty straight forward.

baka kaba posted:

Can you print to PDF instead of exporting normally? Or does printing break too?

I guess in general you probably want some vector drawing program, I don't know what the hot poo poo is in the free software world though. Inkscape?

Looks like printing to a PDF worked, but the quality was poor(CutePDF Writer), so I'll have to figure something out with that.

Inkscape looks great, I'll have to give this a thorough look.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just curious, but what is the filesize on that? And what file format? A quick guess says it'll end up at like 82GB uncompressed at one byte per pixel, just off of the dimensions.

The .xcf is only 32MB, but if I export to .tiff its 337MB. JPEGs weigh in around 32MB, and PNG's about half that. The map isn't using the entire canvas as it is at an angle so there's significant dead space.

Appreciate all your help.

edit: Installed DoPDF 7 and it's printing high quality PDFs. Think I'm all squared away now. Thanks again.

decypher fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 7, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I guess it depends on what you want to be able to do. A vector drawing program should let you do nice clean annotations, drag stuff around, colour it, edit text, group and hide things and so on. If you just want to let them scrawl you could probably get away with locking a background layer in gimp and just letting them draw on a new layer. Depends on what you're doing though!

If you're going the PDF route, make sure you're printing to a nice high DPI so you're not losing a ton of detail

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there a good cloud service that allows 2TB for a single user? Dropbox has insane prices, Google asks $200/month for 2TB of cloud space. But for "just 8 Euros", I can have this cloud service. These prices are even lower.

Any ideas? I just want to back-up my own personal files.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 8, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grawl posted:

These prices are even lower.
Read carefully, that's still per GB, not TB.

Edit: Anyway, CrashPlan, perhaps. Many people here are happy with it and $4-$9/mo seems reasonable.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 8, 2013

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
I need to get rid of duplicate .eml email files which I had exported from Thunderbird using an addon. It needs to be able to support about 100,000 .eml files because that's about how much I have to process. It also needs to be relatively fast.

Because I tried one, forgot what it was called (it was some sheep themed program) that was ultra slow, like 25-50 comparisons/second which would've taken several hours.

Also another one I tried was much faster scanning finished in just about 20 minutes but for some reason everytime I scanned, it would find more results. So I don't trust it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Flipperwaldt posted:

For my personal education, can I ask what the difference between either would be?

From my limited knowledge, block just ignores the packet, reject actually sends a response. In this case, blocking the youtube cache means there'll be a 3 second delay, where rejecting it there won't be.

Also I am really bad at networking.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 8, 2013

Dec 30, 2008
I have a few hundred word documents that all have different unit codes for school courses written in their footers. I want to copy all of these codes into one document. Is there an easier way to do this than manually?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend some software to take pictures with a built in webcam? The only requirements are that it has a delay feature and doesn't come with a bunch of ad-ware like on softonic or Cnet. I need to be able to give someone a link and they can install it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Flipperwaldt posted:

Edit: Anyway, CrashPlan, perhaps. Many people here are happy with it and $4-$9/mo seems reasonable.

That's the one I was after, thanks.

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend some software to take pictures with a built in webcam? The only requirements are that it has a delay feature and doesn't come with a bunch of ad-ware like on softonic or Cnet. I need to be able to give someone a link and they can install it.

The default software should be able to do this. What brand is it?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I have an old Windows app from the XP days that I am unfortunately stuck with, and I need to let non-admin users run it. The executable seems to be hardcoded to require admin elevation to run in Windows 7, as no amount of changing permissions or compatibility mode allows basic Users to run it. The app doesn't do anything that actually requires admin privileges, and even if it did I can grant filesystem permissions to Users where necessary.

Is there a slick way to allow the Users group, or even a specific user, to run a single .exe as administrator without a password prompt? I've done some Googling but haven't found a solution other than using /savecred in a shortcut, which opens an atrocious security hole. I'm surprised that it is this hard.

I basically want a Windows equivalent to (in Linux) modifying sudoers similar to this:
code:
users ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/specific-executable
Alternatively, is there a way to force an executable to run without elevation?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 9, 2013

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Guinness posted:

I have an old Windows app from the XP days that I am unfortunately stuck with, and I need to let non-admin users run it. The executable seems to be hardcoded to require admin elevation to run in Windows 7, as no amount of changing permissions or compatibility mode allows basic Users to run it. The app doesn't do anything that actually requires admin privileges, and even if it did I can grant filesystem permissions to Users where necessary.

Is there a slick way to allow the Users group, or even a specific user, to run a single .exe as administrator without a password prompt? I've done some Googling but haven't found a solution other than using /savecred in a shortcut, which opens an atrocious security hole. I'm surprised that it is this hard.

I basically want a Windows equivalent to (in Linux) modifying sudoers similar to this:
code:
users ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/specific-executable

Have you tried the Task Scheduler with “Run with highest privileges” and “Allow task to be run on demand” trick? Then create a custom shortcut: schtasks /run /TN "EXECUTABLE NAME".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Okay, so you know how in Vista, the Favorite Links section in Explorer was sort of a sub-panel of the navigation pane so it was always at the top?

Is there a way to get that behavior back in Win 7/8? I miss it so.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
nvm

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Grawl posted:

That's the one I was after, thanks.

The default software should be able to do this. What brand is it?

Its an Acer but after a reinstall that software is no longer there. As I recall it was pretty crappy anyway, so I thought there might be something else well known out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This one may be a little esoteric:

Is there an app that I can load onto a Windows CE 5.0 device to show me what keycodes are being sent when I hit a physical button on a device?

I'm hacking a cheap GPS unit that runs WinCE and I want to trigger an action when I hit the "menu" button on the front but I have no idea what keycode it's sending. If it's sending a keycode at all, I mean.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
For some reason (and I don't know when it started, but it had to have been recently within a few days) any .html file I have saved will open with Firefox (which is my default browser) but the show no icon next to the file on the desktop or in the folder or wherever. It just shows the file as a blank piece of paper with the file name (as the icon). I have tried re-setting default programs, restarting, etc. I set the file to Chrome and the icon changes to the Chrome icon just fine. All my other files switch fine. I switch between VLC and MPC. The icons show. But I can't get any Firefox icons to show up for .html files. The firefox.exe has the icon on my desktop and everywhere else. I have no other issues regarding this problem on my computer anywhere. Any thoughts? Help? Am I missing something stupid?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Am I missing something stupid?

Have you tried rebuilding the Windows icon cache? (Google 'rebuild windows icon cache' and whatever version of windows you're on.)

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

m2pt5 posted:

Have you tried rebuilding the Windows icon cache? (Google 'rebuild windows icon cache' and whatever version of windows you're on.)

Yea I just tried following a guide I googled. Google is getting me no where. I know it is an aesthetic issue because all my .html and .htm files open in Firefox, but it's just annoying. I set other browsers to default and their icons come up as the default icon, but not Firefox. This just started happening today too. And I haven't done anything major that I can see affecting this, let alone me be able to fix it.

As you can see, the white pages and not the Firefox icons.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I hooked up my main home machine to my HDTV...Is there any way to reroute sound to the HDMI based on what display a program is on?

Or is there an easy way to quickly switch between default audio outputs?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you right-click on the sound volume icon, and select Playback Devices, it opens the output selector. Click on the device you want, then select Set Default.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fookolt posted:

Or is there an easy way to quickly switch between default audio outputs?

Soundswitch is what you are looking for.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a program for Windows that acts something like Llama for android? Llama is a location profile app, that automatically changs profiles when in different areas. Llama can track cell towers and wifi APs to determine the location. I'd like to do the same thing on the laptop, based on wifi APs. In a nutshell, I would like to mute sound when I'm near certain wifi APs.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Since I re-installed Windows, I noticed I need to turn my speakers up way more than I used to. When I check the mixer in Windows 7, the output for the speakers is maxed out, but the volume bar is way lower than what's playing (Spotify, in this case). Anyone have an idea why?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You could see if Steam or some other app pushing audio is constricting it. Weirder things have happened.

Also go into Sound, check the Communications Tab, and change the auto reduction level. (And if that's it, check to see what's keeping your mic active.)

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

m2pt5 posted:

Soundswitch is what you are looking for.

Thanks! That's what I found that works perfectly for me. The site just took a really long time to load earlier today.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You could see if Steam or some other app pushing audio is constricting it. Weirder things have happened.

Also go into Sound, check the Communications Tab, and change the auto reduction level. (And if that's it, check to see what's keeping your mic active.)

I'm not sure what you mean. Nothing is using my mic. There's no audio ducking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is there any quick way to get right to the network adapter properties screen in Windows 7? I have to assign static IPs on my laptop all the time to test WAN links, and it sucks having to go through like 5 different menus to get there.

Grawl posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Nothing is using my mic. There's no audio ducking.

Go into your Sound options, go to the Communications tab, and make sure "Do Nothing" is the ticked box. Windows sees Steam running as "communications activity."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 11, 2013

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

fookolt posted:

Thanks! That's what I found that works perfectly for me. The site just took a really long time to load earlier today.

Another option: https://code.google.com/p/audioswitch/

Inspector_71 posted:

Windows sees Steam running as "communications activity."

It's because Steam uses your mic. But it's probably the most common/subtle culprit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Inspector_71 posted:

Is there any quick way to get right to the network adapter properties screen in Windows 7? I have to assign static IPs on my laptop all the time to test WAN links, and it sucks having to go through like 5 different menus to get there.

If I understand the question, you can run or make a shortcut to ncpa.cpl

e: To get right into the adapter's control panel page, you can run this from a script (doesn't work from the run command)
start ::{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d}\::{7007acc7-3202-11d1-aad2-00805fc1270e}\::{Network adapter GUID} where the GUID is from the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Network Cards\<card number>\ServiceName

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone have any pointers or ideas on troubleshooting a narcoleptic Win 8.1 install? Is there a way to use powercfg to see what is evoking a PC to go to sleep?

Despite having all the correct boxes ticked in Power Options, Screen Saver Settings and gpedit.msc I still have a Windows 8.1 machine going to sleep after being idle for two minutes.