Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So, I have done some experiments on the toasty server with atomic science. The lack of documentation may shock you!
You can generate more power from one reactor than from seven if you stack steam funnels to remove all of the steam from it and then setup the turbines separately. I never tested the limits of a fusion reactor, but a fission reactor (which is piddly in comparison) can power around 32 3x3 turbines. The other neat benefit with a fission reactor is that the control rods don't even have to be placed, because it never goes above 1850c.

If steam funnels ever get "fixed" you can also stagger 3x3 turbines vertically. What I mean is, they only draw from one block despite being 3x3 and they will work at varying heights above the block.

Spergy forum post and simple video demonstrating it.

Thanks for the accelerator mechanics. I got sick of trying to figure out how they work because my single player world kept crashing without an error when I tried various sizes. Most of the tutorials are outdated with designs that no longer work as well. It's frustrating how often the mod is changed with no documentation updates or even an accurate changelog.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that 1.6 support and the re-write of the back-end of the Technic launcher is Olloth's swan song. He's been offered a job at Amazon. To recap, that makes two former Technic developers getting hired by Amazon. They should really be paying us a finders fee :getin:

Technic will steam ahead, rest assured!

Would the ones that were hired by amazon still be working on technic or have they said their goodbyes?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Would the ones that were hired by amazon still be working on technic or have they said their goodbyes?

Once I finish up this launcher stuff and it's polished and stable I'm done with minecraft related coding forever*

*maybe I will use the modding API when it comes out in never

(The other one was the original launcher before I took over, so he has moved on since then already)

I'll be around to guide whoever though on the next one like the last guy was for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Agelian (the original Technic launcher dev) is still around, we've become friends. In dire emergencies he'll descend from the clouds and offer his assistance. I imagine Olloth here will be the same, still around and still aware of everything going on, but not working on the project in an official capacity. Kind of like grandparents.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dang, that's awesome. Goongrats, Olloth.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That's awesome! I'm glad the talent is being recognized.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So nothings updated for 1.6.4 and the last time I updated was 1.5. Is there anyway to chose what updates I get or do I have to swallow them all weather I like it or not?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 4, 2013

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So nothings updated for 1.6.4 and the last time I updated was 1.5. Is there anyway to chose what updates I get or do I have to swallow them all weather I like it or not?

A lot of 1.6.2 mods work just fine with 1.6.4, though there are exceptions (e.g., Mystcraft crashes when generating a village, though that's due to other Forge changes), so you can actually do quite a bit with 1.6.4 right now.

In the new launcher, just hit the "Edit Profile" button and you get a lot of options for choosing which version to run. You actually need to do this to pick the right Forge version, since it's installed a completely different way now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Halibut Barn posted:

A lot of 1.6.2 mods work just fine with 1.6.4, though there are exceptions (e.g., Mystcraft crashes when generating a village, though that's due to other Forge changes), so you can actually do quite a bit with 1.6.4 right now.

In the new launcher, just hit the "Edit Profile" button and you get a lot of options for choosing which version to run. You actually need to do this to pick the right Forge version, since it's installed a completely different way now.

I had no idea there was a new launcher. :stare:

Well that certainly makes things easier. God drat I need to keep up with this more.

Edit: VVV He means the base minecraft launcher, which apparently got a big update last July.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 4, 2013

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What new launcher? Technic? I'm not seeing how to edit proile.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What new launcher? Technic? I'm not seeing how to edit proile.

The new launcher for Minecraft. In the lower-left corner is a drop-down for Profile. If you select the 'Edit Profile' button below it you can set the 'Use Version' to whatever release you want, it's pretty nice.

I imagine Technic has overlayed a better UI on this ... say, when is that beta going to be available? :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Apparently one of the mods I'd like to use on my server requires Forge. What the hell IS it and how do I get it?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm having a problem starting up a bigdig server on my computer. Downloaded the server zip, extracted it to a folder, ran Launch.bat, and it keeps giving these errors when it trys to download stuff:
http://pastebin.com/zKWJSfDc
It pauses and says to "press any key to contunue..."

I remember I used to have this exact problem before, but I can't find/remember the solution for the life of me!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm having a problem starting up a bigdig server on my computer. Downloaded the server zip, extracted it to a folder, ran Launch.bat, and it keeps giving these errors when it trys to download stuff:

I remember I used to have this exact problem before, but I can't find/remember the solution for the life of me!

Seems like the server is down... I assume you have working internett on the computer you are on.

Try again later I guess.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

Seems like the server is down... I assume you have working internett on the computer you are on.

Try again later I guess.

Oh ok. Does this happen often? I've been trying to set this up pretty much all day today. Is there anywhere I can manually download the bigdig server?

e: I just tried to download the files manually by going to the site files.minecraftforge.net... Got a 404 not found. So yeah, I guess their server doesn't have it or is down for now.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 6, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

KakerMix posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that 1.6 support and the re-write of the back-end of the Technic launcher is Olloth's swan song. He's been offered a job at Amazon. To recap, that makes two former Technic developers getting hired by Amazon. They should really be paying us a finders fee :getin:

Technic will steam ahead, rest assured!

This is amazing. Congrats!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Apparently one of the mods I'd like to use on my server requires Forge. What the hell IS it and how do I get it?

Forge is essentially the modding API. Every mod that isn't a piece of poo poo uses it, because not using it is harder and means your mod wont be compatible with anything else. Just download it and extract it into your miencraft.jar.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Taffer posted:

Forge is essentially the modding API. Every mod that isn't a piece of poo poo uses it, because not using it is harder and means your mod wont be compatible with anything else. Just download it and extract it into your miencraft.jar.

Oh, okay. We're working on making a modified version of Big Dig, so that shouldn't be an issue.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Thaumcraft 4 for 1.6.4 is out, and DW20 did a spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xJj356v28

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, okay. We're working on making a modified version of Big Dig, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yup, everything in Big Dig runs on Forge, so you already have it installed.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Found out how to fix this! Turns out that it was not downloading 2 essential files correctly. bcprov-jdk15on-148.jar.stash and scala-library.jar.stash Had to be downloaded manually here. Had to make sure to take off the ".stash" off the end too. Placed them in the "lib" folder and everything just went super from there.

Posted this so others know how to fix for themselves!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

m2pt5 posted:

Thaumcraft 4 for 1.6.4 is out, and DW20 did a spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xJj356v28

Goddammit and I won't be able to do anything about this until tomorrow??? Aaaaugh!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So in my latest Toast pack base, I've decided to go full on "gently caress this, MORE POWER!" and went fusion->steam power. I have to say that stacks of funnels over a fusion cooling pond do, indeed, create obscene amounts of steam. I'm slowly expanding and still working on harnessing it all with steam consumers. However I'm running into the slight problem of the fact that fusion plants devour Tin. What I thought was an over-excess of tin ingots (over 1000) is starting to look a lot less excessive as I realize how many cells it will take to keep this thing running 24/7. It's gonna take a lot of laser drills to fuel this beast. Thankfully it spits out the power to fuel mining drills.

Atomic Science Fusion: it doesn't run on water, it runs on tin.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alkydere posted:

So in my latest Toast pack base, I've decided to go full on "gently caress this, MORE POWER!" and went fusion->steam power. I have to say that stacks of funnels over a fusion cooling pond do, indeed, create obscene amounts of steam. I'm slowly expanding and still working on harnessing it all with steam consumers. However I'm running into the slight problem of the fact that fusion plants devour Tin. What I thought was an over-excess of tin ingots (over 1000) is starting to look a lot less excessive as I realize how many cells it will take to keep this thing running 24/7. It's gonna take a lot of laser drills to fuel this beast. Thankfully it spits out the power to fuel mining drills.

I was just talking about this in the toast irc channel.

I run 5 fusion plants from turbines directly to redstone energy conduits. it goes into a bank of redstone energy cells. output power is 15.2kMJ. It takes about 6k ingots for 8-12hours of run time.

4 ingots for 16 cells. I need 7 chemical extractors running full time to produce the deuterium and my AE network produces the cells. Deuterium is piped directly into the fusion generators.

Fission, with breeder reactors, might be more component stable after awhile, but it is a huge supply chain to setup at first.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm outputting about 300MJ at the moment, but I'm only about halfway done with covering my fusion plant with steam funnels. I'll probably have something closer to 6-700 MJ/t when I finish this fusion reactor. Which isn't as efficient as your ~3K/reactor obviously, but I'm only running off of a single chemical extractor at the moment and if I can get it to be material stable it will still be way more than I need. Right now I'm more trying to figure out how I can increase my tin input, besides, of course, shoving more power into the laser-drill system. Is there a drill focus color that would give the machine a higher probability of spitting out more tin?

Bond697
Dec 22, 2008
There's something I've been wondering about relating to the new launcher and 1.6. I noticed that in the .Minecraft folder, the "mods" folder is what Forge is using for installed mods, as always. What happens if I want to have 2 different sets of mods? Or if 1.7 comes out and I have an adventure 1.6 pack, an industrial 1.6 pack, and want to play around on 1.7 with Forge mods? Does it turn into a crazy game of renaming folders?

Am I just missing something and there's a way to tell Forge where to look for mods and their configs? I might very well be missing something since I haven;t been keeping up lately. It seems like this will get convoluted very fast if they don't change Forge to use version folders in the mods folder or something.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Bond697 posted:

There's something I've been wondering about relating to the new launcher and 1.6. I noticed that in the .Minecraft folder, the "mods" folder is what Forge is using for installed mods, as always. What happens if I want to have 2 different sets of mods? Or if 1.7 comes out and I have an adventure 1.6 pack, an industrial 1.6 pack, and want to play around on 1.7 with Forge mods? Does it turn into a crazy game of renaming folders?

Am I just missing something and there's a way to tell Forge where to look for mods and their configs? I might very well be missing something since I haven;t been keeping up lately. It seems like this will get convoluted very fast if they don't change Forge to use version folders in the mods folder or something.

You can create separate profiles for each of those cases and give each one their own separate .minecraft directory, though it doesn't do that by default. There's a checkbox you have to enable within the profile and then you specify the path you want.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Bond697 posted:

Nope. When you set up a profile it will have its own "mods" folder, allowing you to keep mods separate from each other. For current versions and past versions, you just have to make sure that the correct version is selected. For modded minecraft profiles, after you install forge with the installer they have, all you have to do is make sure that under those profiles, in the "edit profile" option, you have it set up like this: only for whatever forge release and minecraft version you're using. I've got a snapshot profile and a terrafirmacraft profile without any issues.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 8, 2013

Bond697
Dec 22, 2008
Good to know, thanks!

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
I'm playing with stock Tekkit 1.1.8 and I notice using Atomic Science that if Uranium Ore is left in the Chemical Separator, every conversion after the first yields only 1 Yellowcake instead of 3. If you manually remove the Yellowcake every time, it's always 3. Is this supposed to happen, or a bug, or what? I haven't been able to figure out a way to automatically extract the Yellowcake to a chest using pipes or something to keep it from happening (but haven't tried very hard—machine is finicky about how power and water goes into it) and standing over it while it processes is slightly annoying. Thought I'd ask.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Good news! Deuterium is apparently a pumpable liquid in 1.6 based versions of Atomic Science, at least according to this mod spotlight. So you can just have the deuterium pumped directly into the fusion reactor with no need for tin.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 8, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

Good news! Deuterium is apparently a pumpable liquid in 1.6 based versions of Atomic Science, at least according to this mod spotlight. So you can just have the deuterium pumped directly into the fusion reactor with no need for tin.

Well, sadly I'm still running the 1.5.2 version since Toast still uses that. I fixed the materials issue with MORE MINING LASER so I'm not really worried about running out of Tin (just drowning in everything else the laser can suck up). What I'd really like to do right now is figure out how to make an automated system that will automatically craft empty cells as needed without automatically using up all of my tin.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How is 1.7 going to affect the speed of updates for mods? From everything I've read it's being hailed as a milestone update so I'm hoping that modders will update quickly so I can get some crazy amplified worlds going.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Well, sadly I'm still running the 1.5.2 version since Toast still uses that. I fixed the materials issue with MORE MINING LASER so I'm not really worried about running out of Tin (just drowning in everything else the laser can suck up). What I'd really like to do right now is figure out how to make an automated system that will automatically craft empty cells as needed without automatically using up all of my tin.

You can use logistics pipes to autocraft cells as needed.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

You can use logistics pipes to autocraft cells as needed.

It's also fairly easy to do with AE, too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Serifina posted:

It's also fairly easy to do with AE, too.

How would I set it up to only craft X cells when needed with AE? I've figured out the network part but not that. Does that get into the big AE crafter multiblock madness?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It requires a little bit of work, but not too much.

First, put an interface somewhere. Then put an Export Bus facing it. Set it to craft only, and work while a redstone signal is active. Then have a redstone level emitter pointing at it, and tell it "if there's fewer than X cells, output a signal."

What will happen is that when you fall below the your desired cell limit, the emitter will activate. This will cause the exporter to start making cells and dumping them into the interface, and thus directly back into your system. Once it makes enough, the redstone emitter cuts out, the exporter stops telling your system to craft, and all should be well.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

How is 1.7 going to affect the speed of updates for mods? From everything I've read it's being hailed as a milestone update so I'm hoping that modders will update quickly so I can get some crazy amplified worlds going.

Pretty sure that 1.7 is going to be a bit of a hurdle to get through as it is the largest refactoring the game has seen to date as well as a ton of internal changes such as the removal of null blocks, smaller changes like redefining tile entities, and the removal of static IDs (while not hard set in 1.7, they are moving to a system of referring to entities in new ways. "minecraft:stone" instead of just calling an ID number, this allows for mod developers to do things like "thaumcraft:ore" and since there is no static ID, there is less worrying about ID overlap when using multiple mods).

No real way of knowing how much of a pain in the rear end this update will be until they are done with it. Right now Grum and Dinnerbone are rewriting the server and client netcode from scratch and basing it off Netty. There is also no clue when 1.7 will be done as they are currently down two developers, Jeb being on his honeymoon and EvilSeph having left the company to pursue other careers (EvilSeph wrote a lot of their tools, such as the bug tracker for MC, MCPE and Scrolls) and did a lot of bug fixing).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Enzer posted:

Pretty sure that 1.7 is going to be a bit of a hurdle to get through as it is the largest refactoring the game has seen to date as well as a ton of internal changes such as the removal of null blocks, smaller changes like redefining tile entities, and the removal of static IDs (while not hard set in 1.7, they are moving to a system of referring to entities in new ways. "minecraft:stone" instead of just calling an ID number, this allows for mod developers to do things like "thaumcraft:ore" and since there is no static ID, there is less worrying about ID overlap when using multiple mods).

No real way of knowing how much of a pain in the rear end this update will be until they are done with it. Right now Grum and Dinnerbone are rewriting the server and client netcode from scratch and basing it off Netty. There is also no clue when 1.7 will be done as they are currently down two developers, Jeb being on his honeymoon and EvilSeph having left the company to pursue other careers (EvilSeph wrote a lot of their tools, such as the bug tracker for MC, MCPE and Scrolls) and did a lot of bug fixing).

My impression (and correct me if I'm wrong) was that people were slow to update to 1.6.x because it wasn't really worth the effort with future patches coming out later. My hope would be that despite 1.7 being huge, it would also be the milestone where modders will want to get compatible ASAP and then fiddle about for other minor updates until another big one hits.

I'm a real idiot when it comes to modding though, I haven't the faintest clue how to create a modpack or put mods together in a working manner so I just play the packs off the launcher. The best I ever managed was injecting thaumcraft 3 into tekkit lite :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Demiurge4 posted:

I expect 1.7 is going to be a modding holocaust. With the amount of changes it brings expect a lot of mods to not be updated at all.

• Locked thread