Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

These are terrible bit still nowhere as bad as a Juke.

I'd say the Juke/Cube/Soul are polarizing, but this Infiniti is just obnoxious. It's the new generation of Hummer H2, a fat, bloated, obscenely expensive turd of excess, AND his has those dumb fender-vent things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Those Infinity trucks are the ugliest thing Ive ever seen, worse than the Aztec, B9 Tribeca, Juke, etc. Its just so terrible and I can't imagine people spending so much money on such a stupid looking turdmobile.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Fucknag posted:

The HHR was designed by the same man as the PT Cruiser. Take that as you will.

The HHR is built on the Cobalt chassis and the PT Cruiser is on the Neon chassis. Take that as you will. :psyboom:

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Terrible Robot posted:

Actually an improperly designed and/or built cage makes a car even less safe in an accident, since you have added a bunch of steel tubes into your passenger compartment that will become a twisted pretzel of death around you when it inevitably fails.

I agree in general but in the case of that non-cage roll bar i'd guess it does something marginally helpful in a rollover that manages to crush to roof to the height of the main hoop (which is too low imo). I dont see that one killing you. But i do think in general i would trust a stock seat more than a cheapy race seat of unknown mounting, especially if it dictates a harness installation of unknown (or known bad) mounting as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

I'd say the Juke/Cube/Soul are polarizing, but this Infiniti is just obnoxious. It's the new generation of Hummer H2, a fat, bloated, obscenely expensive turd of excess, AND his has those dumb fender-vent things.

Why is it any different to an Escalade (or a GL450 on an LX570) in those regards?

It's the entire market segment that is the problem.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I think that you guys fail to see the whole point of some expensive vehicles is to just prove that it's very different than what the poor normal people can own. If it was the same exact car with a Hyundai badge and $30k cheaper, the customers that buy them would think they were ugly and stupid and buy something else.

Yes it's ugly.

No you cannot afford it.

"I drive it just to make that point to you."

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

dissss posted:

Why is it any different to an Escalade (or a GL450 on an LX570) in those regards?

I wish I were rich enough to be able to afford a blinged out chrome Escalade with gold spinning rims.

Nothing shows off your status like being able to straight up waste money on stupid poo poo. Bonus points if your car gets less MPG than a Freightliner.

Ricing out an Escalade is different than ricing out a 1998 Toyota Camry. It's classy when you do it to an Escalade.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 6, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Jakcson posted:

I wish I were rich enough to be able to afford a blinged out chrome Escalade with gold spinning rims.

Me too, except I wouldn't. Does anybody feel anything except contempt and disgust towards vehicles like that?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I wouldn't buy one but 'extreme contempt and disgust' is a bit excessive

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

General_Failure posted:

Me too, except I wouldn't. Does anybody feel anything except contempt and disgust towards vehicles like that?

Imagine how awesome it would be to have a huge gas guzzler that takes up two parking spaces and every time you get out of your vehicle, you can look at the chrome and gaze upon your beauty.

With your visage reflecting off the chrome, you can check to see if you need to fix your hair, make sure your beard is shaped just right, and see how your clothes look. And of course you can admire yourself. With a mirror surface like that, who needs friends when you have yourself to gaze upon?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

It looks worse than anything in its class. The fact that its in an easy-to-mock segment as Luxury SUVs just makes it worse. Granted I'm sure people look at my car and go "You don't need that" and they'd be right. At least my car is small in comparison.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's subjective

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

That's subjective

A Golf R is objectively smaller than any of those SUVs :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kill me now posted:

I work at a Kia dealership and we just got in our first truck of 2014 Optimas. Now I drink the company kool aid pretty hard and I really do think the Optima's and especially the turbo ones are pretty awesome midsized sedans, but god drat it Kia

:catstare:

Optimas are awesome and I unironically think this is brilliant. We only get them as the 2.4 gdi theta II and that already pulls like a schoolboy, I can't imagine what it would be like with a snail on the side.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

For drat near a decade now every Inifiniti SUV has had the :downs: look. Which is apropos, because only :downs: people (with money) would buy one.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Previa_fun posted:

The Juke is a lot smaller than it appears in photos and I actually think it's a pretty neat looking car. Do they offer the turbo four banger with a stick? I'd drive that. :v:

Yes they do. Unfortunately they dont offer the AWD system with the stick, only with the CVT.

But I also think it's a pretty neat looking car. After about 6" of lowering i would think it was great. It's basically a hot-hatch with an SUV ride height. I don't like that part of it, but then again i dont buy new so my opinions are totally irrelevant to new car designers.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Slavvy posted:

Optimas are awesome and I unironically think this is brilliant. We only get them as the 2.4 gdi theta II and that already pulls like a schoolboy, I can't imagine what it would be like with a snail on the side.

the extra 74hp definitely makes it move, I would never describe it as fast but 14.6 @ 98mph for a midsized sedan is decent.

the turbo badge is just awful compared to what was on the SX before the redesign.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

kill me now posted:

I would never describe it as fast but 14.6 @ 98mph for a midsized sedan is decent.

I'm still mad that i live in a country where real-world MPG didn't change for 20 years because 4 successive administrations from the late 80s to the late 00s were so beholden to industry lies. It's just plain stupid that every midsize family sedan has an optional engine that makes them do ~100mph in the 1/4 while only just recently being more efficient than they were in 1986, and car enthusiasts think that isn't fast anymore anyway, and grandma has a 99.9% chance of dying when the floormat wedges the throttle open in her Cadillac or Lexus because it's a loving rocket. I just love the fact that we had to bail out our domestic OEMs because an utter failure to regulate them sufficiently led them to capitalism themselves into a deep dark hole because they were too busy building SUVs that ran 14s in the 1/4 @ 11mpg to prepare for a spike in fuel prices.

Stock mid-range family sedans that run ~100 in the 1/4 are not a good thing to me. They're the bastard children of an industry that was destructively uninhibited and fed off the hedonism of ignorant US consumers. I think that counts as terrible car stuff.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
You do realize this is Automotive Insanity right?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Vigo327 posted:

...grandma has a 99.9% chance of dying when the floormat wedges the throttle open in her Cadillac or Lexus because it's a loving rocket.
You do realize that the bulk of Americans start their families between the ages of 18 and 30, so "Grandma" is often someone in their mid 40's, and she bought the Lexus specifically because it's a rocket, right?
Hell, my mother (who is 70, and a great-grandmother) wants a Mercedes E550 Cabriolet.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 6, 2013

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Sadi posted:

You do realize this is Automotive Insanity right?

If you mean Automotive Mostly Mainstream Thought, then yeah, i do realize posting what i posted is going to get pretty much exactly the same response here as it would anywhere else. I knew what the majority of people would think about that before i posted it. Color me a rebel i guess.

Anyway, here's something that's objectively, undeniably terrible, my 1984 Chrysler Executive Sedan the day i picked it up. One of only ~200 made, for good reason. :reject:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

Vigo327 posted:

...because they were too busy building SUVs that ran 14s in the 1/4 @ 11mpg to prepare for a spike in fuel prices.\

That sentence just reminded me, I haven't seen a Dodge Nitro on the road since, like, 2009 .

Random things I found on GIS:

Another terrible car from around town. I didn't even have to blur the plates on this one, because there weren't any on it:

Also:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ulfhednar posted:

That sentence just reminded me, I haven't seen a Dodge Nitro on the road since, like, 2009 .

Because they are all here in Indiana.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm waiting in the right lane on a 4 lane avenue behind a car at a stop light. It's nice outside, so I have all the windows down enjoying the weather. A lifted bro truck (a dime a dozen here in the Gulf coast of Florida) pulls up in the lane next to me, but has a car length ahead of him to pull up to the car in front of him. A guy driving, a girl in the passenger seat. The dude then "rolls coal" right into the side of my white, open window, open sunroof, hatchback. I quietly roll up my windows and the dude blows more black sooty smoke as he pulls in that car length ahead of him. The girl in side seat rolls up her window while this happens.

Its been a long time (if ever) that I've been so impotently angry, but there was nothing I could have done that would have 'matched' the dude being a dick for the sake of being a dick. There is no reason I can see to justify it either, if I had cut him off, or flipped him off, or *something* but there is nothing there, no reason for it besides it being funny to the guy. I just pulled on this road, hell I look like the dude in the truck, I'm just as white and just as easily identified as a douche because I have a hot hatch, so there isn't even any racism or anything that could be there.

I already had the idea guys that drove trucks like that were douchey idiots, but to have a stereotype so thoroughly confirmed can't be healthy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

I'm waiting in the right lane on a 4 lane avenue behind a car at a stop light. It's nice outside, so I have all the windows down enjoying the weather. A lifted bro truck (a dime a dozen here in the Gulf coast of Florida) pulls up in the lane next to me, but has a car length ahead of him to pull up to the car in front of him. A guy driving, a girl in the passenger seat. The dude then "rolls coal" right into the side of my white, open window, open sunroof, hatchback. I quietly roll up my windows and the dude blows more black sooty smoke as he pulls in that car length ahead of him. The girl in side seat rolls up her window while this happens.

Its been a long time (if ever) that I've been so impotently angry, but there was nothing I could have done that would have 'matched' the dude being a dick for the sake of being a dick. There is no reason I can see to justify it either, if I had cut him off, or flipped him off, or *something* but there is nothing there, no reason for it besides it being funny to the guy. I just pulled on this road, hell I look like the dude in the truck, I'm just as white and just as easily identified as a douche because I have a hot hatch, so there isn't even any racism or anything that could be there.

I already had the idea guys that drove trucks like that were douchey idiots, but to have a stereotype so thoroughly confirmed can't be healthy.

I have a friend who does that at every opportunity and he thinks it's the funniest loving thing ever. He wonders why we don't like riding with him.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I had some jackoff belch a cloud of smoke at me when I had the gall to pass him on the right (because he was doing 10 under in a 45 zone in the left hand lane) and blasted up to like 90 mph. I could hear chunks of soot bouncing off my windshield, sounded like debris off a gravel truck.

My boss has a mild smoke tune on his truck too, leaves a grey cloud any time he takes off. I just take solace in the fact that their rings will be fossilized before they know it, and they'll be looking at several grand to replace the motor when they eventually die.

e:

Hey, if it means we start seeing cars advertising their power-adders and engine displacements again like they did in the :krad: 80s I'm all for it.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 7, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

You see I think it's great. I love it when mid-model refreshes throw something in that I think makes it look worse, so the people who buy new ones get a newer car but people like me who bought the '12 model get to say "Well that's stupid I'm so glad I got one a year ago."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fucknag posted:

Hey, if it means we start seeing cars advertising their power-adders and engine displacements again like they did in the :krad: 80s I'm all for it.

I believe you mean 'since the 60s'

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

StormDrain posted:

I believe you mean 'since the 60s'

Yeah, but it wasn't til the 80s that turbo tech really took off and you started seeing 2.0 DOHC TURBO all over.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I kinda like the turbo badge on the Optima. It takes me back to the 80's when cars advertised turbos on every available piece of real estate. Starions were the best for that. It was even stitched into the seat belts.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Because they are all here in Indiana.

I was going to say, "I was in front of one the other day" but I'm in Indianapolis :(

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's wrapped all the way around now when the base V6 models of Porsches and Jags also have turbo/superchargers, yet the top trim V8 turbos are still the only ones that are allowed to be called turbo/supercharged.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Once the guy realized I was trying to take pictures of his lovely ride as I passed, he slowed down so I couldn't. I kept slowing down but once he got down below 40mph in a 55mph zone where most people do 70mph I said gently caress it and took off. This is the only picture that came out halfway decent. It sounded like he had a weedeater engine under the hood and the girl in the passenger seat was hiding her face is shame. You could hear the tires groaning in agony over that camber, too. Hood was black, front quarters were white. Ugh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I kinda like the turbo badge on the Optima. It takes me back to the 80's when cars advertised turbos on every available piece of real estate. Starions were the best for that. It was even stitched into the seat belts.

That's loving rad.

Turbos make literally everything better.

Even music:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

iForge posted:

Once the guy realized I was trying to take pictures of his lovely ride as I passed, he slowed down so I couldn't. I kept slowing down but once he got down below 40mph in a 55mph zone where most people do 70mph I said gently caress it and took off. This is the only picture that came out halfway decent. It sounded like he had a weedeater engine under the hood and the girl in the passenger seat was hiding her face is shame. You could hear the tires groaning in agony over that camber, too. Hood was black, front quarters were white. Ugh.

That poor Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

G-Mach posted:

That poor Impreza.

I would take you home and fix you, little friend. :( Don't worry, your pain is almost over.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

KakerMix posted:

I can't count the number of times a douche in a lifted brotruck with sidepipes lines up to perfectly blast exhaust into my driver's side window. loving asses...

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

anonumos posted:

I can't count the number of times a douche in a lifted brotruck with sidepipes lines up to perfectly blast exhaust into my driver's side window. loving asses...

That's when I line up an open bottle of water into theirs.

If only it was also framed in fake woodgrain.:allears:

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 7, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

This is where you should be justified in reaching out with a pocket knife and making those fuckers walk home. Those giant tires aren't cheap and don't hold any pressure so it's not like it'll hurt you to stab a hole in the sidewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The buck didn't stop with cars. My 82 Honda CX500 Turbo has 5, count them, 5 turbo emblems on it. One on each muffler, one on each side cover and a huge one above the headlight.