Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not sure calling them terrorists is a productive way to convince the unconvinced that the Tea Party are being awful and horrible.

(I am, however, quite sure that sane people should think they're awful and horrible. So while you're being rhetorically non-useful, you're not wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finished the argument the only way I knew how. Talking about farts.

On a related note, everytime I think about getting social fixer, I remind myself that I won't get to draw dicks all over the place anymore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not sure calling them terrorists is a productive way to convince the unconvinced that the Tea Party are being awful and horrible.

(I am, however, quite sure that sane people should think they're awful and horrible. So while you're being rhetorically non-useful, you're not wrong.)

I don't know, they're intentionally destabilizing a system for purely ideological reasons. It's pretty close to the actual definition of terrorism, certainly closer than the colloquial definition; "brown person in turban".

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phone posted:

YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES THAT'S WHY RULES ARE MADE!!

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The only rules that everyone needs to follow are the ones that get me what I want. All the other rules are nonsense and tyrannical.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't know, they're intentionally destabilizing a system for purely ideological reasons. It's pretty close to the actual definition of terrorism, certainly closer than the colloquial definition; "brown person in turban".

Yes, this was what I was trying to say before I remembered who I was arguing with.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Some idiot my friends know:

Ah yes, this is my health insurance policy: a gun and some antibiotics. He's also vegan, so he plans to just "forage for plants" when Obamacare finally brings down this once great and free nation.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tomahawk posted:

Somebody needs to make something like this for all of the bad things Republicans are responsible for over the last 20 years and all of the good things they have killed, or have tried to.

Someone has done this already

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Tomahawk posted:

Ah yes, this is my health insurance policy: a gun and some antibiotics. He's also vegan, so he plans to just "forage for plants" when Obamacare finally brings down this once great and free nation.

So increased affordability and access to health insurance is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back and brings down society?

Man, I must have missed the nightly news stories on post-apocalyptic Europe, then.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Tomahawk posted:

Well that's his catastrophic coverage. What about routine stuff? Does it cover prescriptions?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

VideoTapir posted:

Well that's his catastrophic coverage. What about routine stuff? Does it cover prescriptions?

The gun is for robbing pharmacies.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tomahawk posted:

I started fencing recently, mostly doing drills and exercises, trying to get the biomechanics of the movements down. I've watched a lot of sparring online, and it always seems so easy. People just do things, changing position, switching stances, blocking attacks, moving in for the strike, etc. Yesterday was my first spar, and I was assuring myself that I would fair better than this other person who got wasted by the instructor. "I'll make sure to switch my stances, move cautiously, and strike when I have an opening" I thought to myself. After all, those are the key aspects of fencing, according to the manuals I've read.

My turn to spar came up, I squared off with the instructor, and...

...he rushed me down and pummeled me. My reaction? Uhh....poo poo. gently caress, what do I do?

Squared off again, thought to myself "ok, that was shocking, but now I just gotta remember my footwork". My instructor reminded me the same, telling me to fix my stance, and not to stand still or show weakness.

We dipped swords, I started moving......poo poo, where do I go? Do I try to go around him? What stance should I put up? I'll try going thi-- nope, wrong move. I got pummeled.

This happened a couple times, each time I got pummeled, or grappled, or put into a position where I would certainly lose (or, in a historical context, die a terrible, painful death).

The reason I bring this up is because despite preparing myself for this type of situation academically, having never actually been in the situation, and thus not having the proper experience to guarantee survival, I was completely at a loss. If this were some 16th century sword fight, I would be dead in the street, both arms lopped off, my throat cut, and my stomach impaled.

When I read stuff like in the picture above, this is what I think about now. People with no actual experience of what they plan on doing. Does that guy even know how to properly forage for plants? Does he practice? Does he actively go out and forage plants and poo poo, surviving off of them for days or weeks at a time? Does he know how to shoot someone? A moving target? A target that might be shooting back at him? Form degrades when you're put into a situation you've only experienced vicariously. It doesn't matter how many rounds of ammo you store, or how sweet your AR-15 is, if there's some mook out there with a lovely revolver who has some actual experience in being a badass, chances are they're going to deal with you as you waste time thinking about your next move. He might even have some military background, but every legit ex-soldier I know would just pack their family into their station wagon and head to the nearest safe zone in the event of an emergency.

For these types of people though, it's a harmless fantasy. Society is never going to come to the point where they need to "bug out" and live off the land. It's just a way for them to feel like they're ready for anything, when in reality they're just as boned as everyone else.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

:golfclap:

Tomahawk posted:

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2VNU3R0gA

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My dad posted this Buzzfeed link on Facebook today: http://www.buzzfeed.com/leeboreport/9-completely-unnecessary-government-shutdown-event-fimt

quote:

12 Completely Unnecessary Government Shutdown Events
Twelve unprecedented, completely unnecessary actions made by the Obama administration during the government shutdown.

Obummer closed the Grand Canyon just to be a jerk! :argh:

I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing this a lot more the next few days. :sigh:

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Reminder that Buzzfeed is literally owned by the Koch Brothers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nyquil hangover posted:

Reminder that Buzzfeed is literally owned by the Koch Brothers.
In this case the post is "user-generated content" or whatever, so I don't think that is relevant in this case. It's just some schmuck cobbling together the conspiracies of the day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Buzzfeed is really helpful when you need a site besides Youtube to watch Youtube videos on.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Buzzfeed is really helpful when you need a site besides Youtube to watch Youtube videos on.

Don't forget viewing animated gifs stolen from tumblr

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dirty Job posted:

I started fencing recently, mostly doing drills and exercises, trying to get the biomechanics of the movements down. I've watched a lot of sparring online, and it always seems so easy. People just do things, changing position, switching stances, blocking attacks, moving in for the strike, etc. Yesterday was my first spar, and I was assuring myself that I would fair better than this other person who got wasted by the instructor. "I'll make sure to switch my stances, move cautiously, and strike when I have an opening" I thought to myself. After all, those are the key aspects of fencing, according to the manuals I've read.

My turn to spar came up, I squared off with the instructor, and...

...he rushed me down and pummeled me. My reaction? Uhh....poo poo. gently caress, what do I do?

Squared off again, thought to myself "ok, that was shocking, but now I just gotta remember my footwork". My instructor reminded me the same, telling me to fix my stance, and not to stand still or show weakness.

We dipped swords, I started moving......poo poo, where do I go? Do I try to go around him? What stance should I put up? I'll try going thi-- nope, wrong move. I got pummeled.

This happened a couple times, each time I got pummeled, or grappled, or put into a position where I would certainly lose (or, in a historical context, die a terrible, painful death).

The reason I bring this up is because despite preparing myself for this type of situation academically, having never actually been in the situation, and thus not having the proper experience to guarantee survival, I was completely at a loss. If this were some 16th century sword fight, I would be dead in the street, both arms lopped off, my throat cut, and my stomach impaled.

When I read stuff like in the picture above, this is what I think about now. People with no actual experience of what they plan on doing. Does that guy even know how to properly forage for plants? Does he practice? Does he actively go out and forage plants and poo poo, surviving off of them for days or weeks at a time? Does he know how to shoot someone? A moving target? A target that might be shooting back at him? Form degrades when you're put into a situation you've only experienced vicariously. It doesn't matter how many rounds of ammo you store, or how sweet your AR-15 is, if there's some mook out there with a lovely revolver who has some actual experience in being a badass, chances are they're going to deal with you as you waste time thinking about your next move. He might even have some military background, but every legit ex-soldier I know would just pack their family into their station wagon and head to the nearest safe zone in the event of an emergency.

For these types of people though, it's a harmless fantasy. Society is never going to come to the point where they need to "bug out" and live off the land. It's just a way for them to feel like they're ready for anything, when in reality they're just as boned as everyone else.

Experience really does make a big difference in stressful and unusual situations. I know people who have bug out bags and what not, which is fine and well; if your plan is to have something on hand for an emergency where you need to evacuate without advance notice, having essentials on hand for the trip to the nearest actual shelter is smart. The difference between that and surviving alone in the wilderness is probably like being able to jog down the block and jog a marathon. I know of maybe one person in my life that I think would be capable of surviving alone in the wilderness, and that's because he did exactly that in the military and to this day routinely goes out into the woods with basic survival gear. I think he would be fine for a while, but me? I'd be right and truly hosed in that situation, and probably die shortly to disease, starvation or exposure.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Tomahawk posted:

Wow, and only 70 pounds. Perfect for keeping on the move. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TerminalSaint posted:

Wow, and only 70 pounds. Perfect for keeping on the move. :allears:

For reference a modern soldier carries about that much or more.
But, this person is most definitely not going to be fit as a soldier who does that for a living.
(for more reference full plate armor weighs in at 44 pounds.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

This guy does realize that caffeine is a diuretic and really not something you should be using if SHTF and drinking water is scarce, right?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Alterian posted:

This guy does realize that caffeine is a diuretic and really not something you should be using if SHTF and drinking water is scarce, right?

What are you talking about man I get hella headshots in COD when I'm tweaked out on Redbull and Vivarin. BOOM HEADSHOT! BOOM HEADSHOT!!!

...wait, what do you mean real life isn't like COD?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dirty Job posted:

People with no actual experience of what they plan on doing. Does that guy even know how to properly forage for plants? Does he practice? Does he actively go out and forage plants and poo poo, surviving off of them for days or weeks at a time?

Hey, I'll bet he's watched a lot of Bear Grylls; maybe he even has some Bear Grylls branded merchandise in there.

quote:

Hey, that gear might be enough for them to make it long enough to find and/or buy their way into some band of cannibals like that group with the truck in "The Road."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For reference a modern soldier carries about that much or more.
But, this person is most definitely not going to be fit as a soldier who does that for a living.
(for more reference full plate armor weighs in at 44 pounds.)

A modern soldier also has a massive logistics network behind them, providing them vehicles and more or less limitless fuel.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 7, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tomahawk posted:

Having a 'bug-out bag' or something similar isn't necessarily a bad idea, I have one (although it's not a 'bag' per se). However, you know what's in mine? Couple of gallons of drinking water, box of granola bars, emergency blanket, flashlight, AM/FM weather radio, small first aid kit. The most likely 'SHTF' scenario where I live involves severe weather or a lengthy weather-associated power outage, and it is almost certainly not going to last for more than a couple of days. I can't shoot a tornado, what the gently caress am I going to use a gun for? For that matter, what the hell is the giant-rear end combat knife he mentions ever going to be used for? I can see some situations where a knife would be useful, but for that I've got a little multi-function pocket knife on my keychain.

I also like that, in a survival situation, Mister Bates the shut-in goony goon would actually be better-set for food than Mister Hardcore Survivalist there, because my tornado survival kit actually has a non-zero amount of food in it. He 'plans on eating plants'? That's a risky-rear end proposition even for people who have first-hand experience with it, you're basically rolling the dice on whether or not you'll find enough edible plants to supply your daily nutrient requirements.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mister Bates posted:

I also like that, in a survival situation, Mister Bates the shut-in goony goon would actually be better-set for food than Mister Hardcore Survivalist there, because my tornado survival kit actually has a non-zero amount of food in it. He 'plans on eating plants'? That's a risky-rear end proposition even for people who have first-hand experience with it, you're basically rolling the dice on whether or not you'll find enough edible plants to supply your daily nutrient requirements.

I'll just have a bottle of vitamin pills, and live off my fat rolls.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Mister Bates posted:

Having a 'bug-out bag' or something similar isn't necessarily a bad idea, I have one (although it's not a 'bag' per se). However, you know what's in mine? Couple of gallons of drinking water, box of granola bars, emergency blanket, flashlight, AM/FM weather radio, small first aid kit. The most likely 'SHTF' scenario where I live involves severe weather or a lengthy weather-associated power outage, and it is almost certainly not going to last for more than a couple of days. I can't shoot a tornado, what the gently caress am I going to use a gun for? For that matter, what the hell is the giant-rear end combat knife he mentions ever going to be used for? I can see some situations where a knife would be useful, but for that I've got a little multi-function pocket knife on my keychain.

This reminds me of something I thought was really cool, where the CDC (or similar organization that I'm mixing it up with?) released a "zombie survival guide" filled with tips to survive a zombie apocalypse. But really, it was perfectly crafted as a resource to apply to pretty much any practical disaster, like hurricanes or earthquakes. There was no "use only the strongest hanzo steel katana when decapitating the undead hordes" that you'd expect from such a premise, but instead just a lot of universal tips like "keep a bag filled with emergency supplies somewhere safe" or "don't panic and create more problems than necessary". It just used the pop culture surrounding zombies to educate people with useful knowledge that might actually save lives until real help can get to them.

Of course, then you get the sort of doomsday preppers who are completely delusional with what I call "protagonist syndrome" who think they'll need a gun hidden in every corner in case an epic ten-minute firefight breaks out while they're cracking open their can of beans for dinner. Because obviously they're just so badass that they'll be able to survive on their own, and don't need no government help or commie FEMA to fish them out of the poo poo. :bahgawd:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

For that matter, what the hell is the giant-rear end combat knife he mentions ever going to be used for?

When SHTF, this guy is just going to stab anyone who comes near him.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The CDC got so much poo poo for that campaign for wasting tax dollars. gently caress the haters, it's a brilliant campaign and everyone involved deserves a bonus for being awesome.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Maybe I'm deluded sheeple. But it seems that in apocalyptic scenarios that survival is like 70% luck and 25% quick organizing/communalizing. Maybe 5% badassery, and that's being generous.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The CDC got so much poo poo for that campaign for wasting tax dollars. gently caress the haters, it's a brilliant campaign and everyone involved deserves a bonus for being awesome.

I looked it up and they even made a graphic novel for it. Oh, CDC, I'll go to your emergency concentration camps anytime of the day :allears:

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 7, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I don't think anyone addressed the even funnier context of that picture, in which the guy thinks his medical supplies are going to help him out of any sickness or injury he gets. He'll just tough it out and rub some plants together, and then everything will be fine!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't think anyone addressed the even funnier context of that picture, in which the guy thinks his medical supplies are going to help him out of any sickness or injury he gets. He'll just tough it out and rub some plants together, and then everything will be fine!

It's that or get his butt hole penetrated by Obama.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No poo poo, this lady I work with went on for two or three days about how the government "must know something we don't."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Upworthy, actually!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The quote was literally at the end of the 800-word article. Nothing particularly interesting about this, other than the staggering laziness of Faye Daway, and the fact that he is the College Republicans president at my alma mater. He's actually appeared on Hannity in the past, the bowtie-wearing little poo poo. If he learns anything from this it will probably be that conservatives don't have the freedom to speak their mind in the world of academia.

:qq: We totally know what it's like to be discriminated against!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
White plight: two words that should never be seen next to each other, ever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hey guys, I remember a week or two ago there was a really good takedown of the whole "black men are 8% of the population but cause 51% of the murders!" poo poo with all of its nasty implications. Can someone repost it for me? Thanks.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Tomahawk posted:

He doesn't say what he'll be using the TV remotes for.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

God drat Facebook is so full of bitter tears these days.

quote:

REFUSE TO ENROLL IN OBAMACARE AS IF IT IS THE MARK OF THE BEAST!!!

OBAMACARE IS NOT A LEGAL LAW!!! DO NOT BE FOOLED! DO NOT SIGN-UP TO PARTICIPATE. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE YOUR OBLIGATION IS IF YOU SIGN-UP!

THIS MUST GO VIRAL TO EVERY AMERICAN , HERE IS THE TRUTH OF THE SUPREME COURT ABOUT OBAMA CARE...PASS IT ALONG AND KEEP A COPY OF THIS FOR YOURSELF

People of The USA .We are being played as fools. Chief Justice Roberts did not say obamacare was constitutional..read his RULING ..

He said that the mandate was NOT Constitutional and that the ONLY WAY THAT the federal government could enforce obamacare is to enforce it as a tax....

WELL, here is where the obamacare mandate is unconstitutional.. when Justice Roberts made that ruling THE AHCA should have went BACK to congress and should have been VOTED ON BY EACH MEMBER OF CONGRESS AS A TAX .. IT WAS NOT ..

The House did not pass obamacare as a tax.. they said that it was NOT a tax..

The Obama Lawyers argued their case saying it was not a TAX... Roberts contorted his logic like a cheap soggy pretzel and called it a TAX.

So DO NOT BE FOOLS PEOPLE .. OBAMACARE IS ILLEGAL ..

BECAUSE OBAMACARE/THE AHCA Originated in the SENATE and a Tax cannot originate in the Senate..

THEN.....OBAMA has unlawfully changed the law by giving exemptions and waivers to Corporations, Big Business and Labor.. HE HAS NO LEGAL STANDING TO DO THIS!!

He is an Alinskiite Radical revolutionary and his lap dogs in the Main Stream media Knows the Alinski rules and is REPEATING THE LIE over and over and over again so it becomes the new reality..

JUST BECAUSE YOU HEAR SOMETHING ON THE NEWS DOES NOT MAKE IT ACCURATE.. They are trying so hard to make us all believe that Obamacare is legal BUT IT IS NOT LEGAL!!

Lets work on taking the IRS to court if THEY try to garnish your bank account when you OPT-OUT. Go to (generation opportunity.org) AND (cchfreedom.org)

There will be a chance for class action law suits against the Federal Government but we cannot take them to court until they try to tax us for not having health insurance.

REMEMBER, If you Voluntarily sign-up for this program, you are signing that you will accept it as an OBLIGATION and as LAW that you will be held CONTRACTALLY. If you REFUSE to enlist, IT IS NOT A CONSTITUTIONAL ENFORCABLE MANDATE!!!!

PLEASE SHARE THIS!!!!

45,000 shares and counting!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cat Face Joe posted:

He doesn't say what he'll be using the TV remotes for.

He'll carry a generator for those lonely nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Soviet Commubot posted:

God drat Facebook is so full of bitter tears these days.

45,000 shares and counting!

Further, let me give you some advice from the Sovereign Citizen movement about how laws don't actually apply to you...