Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the least necessary qualifier ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

what about an acknowledgement that no one person will ever know the whole because that's what spirituality is a response to

dozens of classic respected scifi stories are based on that especially a lot of clarke stuff

lots of classic respected scifi stories are based on the virtues of fascism, especially a lot of heinlein stuff

also rama sucked
there, i said it

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

teenagers already seem comically self-absorbed to adults.

holy poo poo i can smell the nursing home stench loving wafting off of this post

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Can-O-Raid posted:

holy poo poo i can smell the nursing home stench loving wafting off of this post

ask the nanny to change your diaper
the smell will go away

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ask the nurse to change your diaper

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also rama sucked
there, i said it

wrong

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
garak ftw

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also rama sucked
there, i said it
whoa, you sure showed... uh... them?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

whoa, you sure showed... uh... them?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

garak ftw

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Smythe posted:

garak ftw

owns

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
garak is best the and it's an insult that the actor was only ever a 'guest star'

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

haveblue posted:

what about an acknowledgement that no one person will ever know the whole because that's what spirituality is a response to

spiritual and religious characters are fine because in the future there will still undoubtedly be a lot of fanatics and con men taking advantage of dumb people and bad guys can use faith as a motivation that can seem sympathetic but when you get caprica or bsg or lost and the ultimate answer to every mystery is well people have souls and there are unseen magical forces and god did it then it's just a fantasy story

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

garak is best the and it's an insult that the actor was only ever a 'guest star'

i think "guest star" is actually a more prestigious billing than secondary characters usually get, because it means your name appears in the intro instead of the end credits

and yes. garak rules. dukat also ruled. character development is important even for your villians and ambiguous spies and poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
souls are gay

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i forget how it works kuz im not an agent/manager nor do i work w/ sag/aftra stuff but guest star/co-star etc etc star aren't arbitrary they like mean things w/ sag scale or smthing idk

wat im saying is its abt the money not teh prestige

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Yeah but he should have been main cast

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Yeah but he should have been main cast

he wasn't in enough episodes to be main cast. (just looked it up: 33 eps)

also it would have really watered down the characterization and just been generally icky to write garak into every single plot

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

praise the bum

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

angry_keebler posted:

spiritual and religious characters are fine because in the future there will still undoubtedly be a lot of fanatics and con men taking advantage of dumb people and bad guys can use faith as a motivation that can seem sympathetic but when you get caprica or bsg or lost and the ultimate answer to every mystery is well people have souls and there are unseen magical forces and god did it then it's just a fantasy story

lol i can hear your fedora from here

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
ds9 did religiousness in a not-terrible way, considering

it gets laid out in the very first episode that like "yes, here are these basically-omnipotent timeless beings that get worshiped as gods" and it's always a part of the story, so when they show up in various dramatic guises it's not just some poo poo that writers pulled out of their rear end because they couldn't actually figure out how to end a show after half a dozen seasons of randomly-added mysteries that were never tied together in any meaningful way behind the scenes (see: bsg, lost)

there's a reason "deus ex machina" is considered laughable and bad writing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
It's bad but it's not any worse than time travel or alternate dimensions as terrible plot mechanics (both of which can be fine but in general are awful)

time travel is definitely the worst though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It's bad but it's not any worse than time travel or alternate dimensions as terrible plot mechanics (both of which can be fine but in general are awful)

time travel is definitely the worst though

TNG finale ftw

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
time travel can be fine if its done properly but its really really hard to do properly (see tng finale) and really really easy to do bad (see everything to do with voyager, enterprise)

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

time travel can be fine if its done properly but its really really hard to do properly (see tng finale) and really really easy to do bad (see everything to do with voyager, enterprise)

time travel peaked with bttf

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Gus Hobbleton posted:

yeah like i was seriously surprised that enterprise went with some time travel bullshit right from the get-go. that was really really bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

rigberry enema posted:

time travel peaked with bill and ted's excellent adventure

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

dur posted:

yeah like i was seriously surprised that enterprise went with some time travel bullshit right from the get-go. that was really really bad.

a 74 hour time travel holodrama being watched by two bloated boozed up caricatures of tng characters

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

watch sgu gently caress the haters sgu was good and it sucks that it got cancelled

this is one of the worst tv programmes ever

they forgot to add a story

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

best sci fi movie of all time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ol qwerty bastard posted:

ds9 did religiousness in a not-terrible way, considering

it gets laid out in the very first episode that like "yes, here are these basically-omnipotent timeless beings that get worshiped as gods" and it's always a part of the story, so when they show up in various dramatic guises it's not just some poo poo that writers pulled out of their rear end because they couldn't actually figure out how to end a show after half a dozen seasons of randomly-added mysteries that were never tied together in any meaningful way behind the scenes (see: bsg, lost)

there's a reason "deus ex machina" is considered laughable and bad writing

listen to this man

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
new bsg (caprica included) is an excellent series if for no other reason than it gets internet atheists all riled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
literal deus ex machina

clicky

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 7, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
time travel rules

writing a time travel story that isn't terrible is no harder than writing any other kind of story that isn't terrible

pet peeve: time travel stories in which all the characters complain about being stuck in a time travel story instead of just going "heck yes, let's get some time travel on, awesome"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
time travel is fine when it's the main mechanic of the story (or series if it's tv) and they actively deal with the repercussions of time travel but when it's used as a lovely deus ex machina it's terrible and makes it feel like all actions are pointless because anyone can just time travel at any time for any reason to do any thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

time travel is fine when it's the main mechanic of the story (or series if it's tv) and they actively deal with the repercussions of time travel but when it's used as a lovely deus ex machina it's terrible and makes it feel like all actions are pointless because anyone can just time travel at any time for any reason to do any thing

perhaps the same could be said of all deī ex machina

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i want to see a time travel story where about 1/5 of the way into the plot there's a mutiny by all of the non-main characters and all the main characters are killed and the rest of the movie is about the renegade crew setting themsevles up as god-kings with their future-knowledge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

~omnia delenda sunt~

when did you become Vishnu/Oppenheimer?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

when did you become Vishnu/Oppenheimer?

"Now we are all sons of bitches."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

duTrieux. posted:

i want to see a time travel story where about 1/5 of the way into the plot there's a mutiny by all of the non-main characters and all the main characters are killed and the rest of the movie is about the renegade crew setting themsevles up as god-kings with their future-knowledge

yeah seriously why does this never happen

a group of people with a decent grasp of modern engineering, chemistry, and physics, thrown back in time a thousand years, could loving own the place

alternatively, a story about advancing technology in a fantasy world, but not portrayed as "aargh saruman is cutting down all the trees and that's bad we need to live in ~~harmony with nature~~"

alright fine shut up i'm just really excited for pratchett's "raising steam"

• Locked thread