Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Scheduled my last student loan payment for tomorrow. I had (luckily) only 8k in loans, but I was able to knock it out in 2 months once they became due. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flocons de mais
Oct 4, 2008
I have enough saved up now in my chequings account to meet the minimum monthly balance to waive the monthly fee and september will be the first month I don't pay!

(I live in Canada, if you are slightly confused about monthly fees for bank accounts!)

I am really happy I did it. :3:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Defiant until the end, I disregarded the BFC advice of 'do never buy' and am buying a house. Whether that's getting either ahead or back behind, I'm not terribly sure.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Defiant until the end, I disregarded the BFC advice of 'do never buy' and am buying a house. Whether that's getting either ahead or back behind, I'm not terribly sure.

Oh boy. Congrats anyway. What ever happened with your job? Did you find something else or relocate?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Oh boy. Congrats anyway. What ever happened with your job? Did you find something else or relocate?

Oh, the one that was moving to Mexico? Yeah, the day they made the announcement official, I put my two weeks in. I found a job closer to home that pays six grand more per year. So gently caress them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just picked up a second part time job. Except it's not as bad as it sounds, I don't think. This job isn't retail, it's doing CNC work at a small machine shop. Commute is a little long, but nothing I can't handle (and I've had worse/longer commutes). After 30 days I'll get a raise and should more than double my monthly income from my retail job. And this job is more likely to turn into a full time gig than my current retail job. Not to mention it's closer to my engineering degree than trying to explain the differences between various brands of vinyl flooring.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I am statistically underpaid, working as a developer in a small company. I voiced my concerns about this and the owners were receptive. I presented working part-time for higher pay as a compromise to the increased costs and they have voiced interest. As it stands they can to alter my pay to:
144% of my current salary to continue working on site 40hrs per week
135% of my current salary to work on site 24hrs, remote 16hrs per week
74% of my current salary to work remotely 3 days a week with benefits
105% percent of my current salary to work as a 3 day a week remote contractor (no benefits)
Or of course maintain the current deal or fire me, neither of which they have indicated they would like to do.

We've talked the numbers and the issues, so now they just want time to decide which implementation is best for cost/availability.

I'm pretty floored. For me, time off is more important than the final dollar amount as long as I can pay bills. It also allows for prioritization of tasks, where only the most important jobs will be escalated to me. The tedious bullshit that drags down my hourly rate can finally go to someone with a lower skill set. I'm really glad they understand the value of this reallocation plan.

Final meeting in 2 weeks to discuss the execution plan that will begin Jan 1st. Fingers crossed.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

BossRighteous posted:

I am statistically underpaid, working as a developer in a small company. I voiced my concerns about this and the owners were receptive. I presented working part-time for higher pay as a compromise to the increased costs and they have voiced interest. As it stands they can to alter my pay to:
105% percent of my current salary to work as a 3 day a week remote contractor (no benefits)
Or of course maintain the current deal or fire me, neither of which they have indicated they would like to do.

We've talked the numbers and the issues, so now they just want time to decide which implementation is best for cost/availability.

I'm pretty floored. For me, time off is more important than the final dollar amount as long as I can pay bills. It also allows for prioritization of tasks, where only the most important jobs will be escalated to me. The tedious bullshit that drags down my hourly rate can finally go to someone with a lower skill set. I'm really glad they understand the value of this reallocation plan.

Final meeting in 2 weeks to discuss the execution plan that will begin Jan 1st. Fingers crossed.

I wish you good luck with this. It seems more companies are becoming receptive to keeping their people. My step-father works security and the company he is with is starting to realize they're underpaying everyone, because they can't retain anyone longer than what's needed to get a better job elsewhere. So, he's probably going to get a big raise pretty soon.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BossRighteous posted:

This is really cool. I'm in a similar situation at work and I think if I were in a more stable place in life (aka not 30 and a parent of a young child) I'd definitely think about presenting similar options for my employer. At the moment, I'm paying for the job security with being incredibly busy.

Being a local government employee really limits the types of raises / employment changes anyone working in the private sector can work out, but I really like the different options you've come up with.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CornHolio posted:

Oh, the one that was moving to Mexico? Yeah, the day they made the announcement official, I put my two weeks in. I found a job closer to home that pays six grand more per year. So gently caress them.
Good for you.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BossRighteous posted:

Yeah there's a small nagging voice in the back of my head that says "You know, past cost of living increases, you could probably live on this salary for the rest of your life pretty comfortably" and accepting/hunting for positions that are fewer hours worked as a form of compensation as my value rises; it's an interesting concept that would be excellent to gain traction.

iamthepinkylifter
Nov 12, 2012
Just got my first credit limit bump this month! From $1,000 to $1,500. Woohoo!

My credit score is currently over 800. In August, I financed a wonderful gently used car and got a rock-bottom interest rate with no down payment.

Life's been good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My credit card, which at one point had a balance of $8,600, now has a balance of $0.

:feelsgood:

Next up, OSAP.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got a promotion! While no increase in cash has come, I do get a company car. That will save me a few thousand $$ per year, plus I can sell my current car.

Even better, it's a new car! :woop:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

Great news! They accepted. We are in final negotiations on total pay but starting Jan 2nd, I will work remotely 3 day a week on a guaranteed salary based on 24 hours. Any weeks that come up under, the un-utilized hours will roll over. Any overages or time on site will be logged and invoiced at the end of the month in addition to the salaried amount. I will not receive benefits so I am negotiating the hourly rate to compensate - as my initial conditions assumed benefits would be included. I am happy enough with the numbers without benefits but that said I am still going to adjust my ask to cover the difference.

Not only do I get guaranteed income for part time remote availability, but I get 10 vacation days reseting in early December and able to be used before the new deal takes effect in January. I'm over the moon right now. Going from 40hrs on-site to 24 hours off-site with comparable yearly numbers is a dream come true for me!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That's so kickass, and not something most people can swing. Good for you!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SpelledBackwards posted:

That's so kickass, and not something most people can swing. Good for you!
Not sure that should be the takeaway from this story.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

No Wave posted:

Yeah but it's true, really. I'd guess that the majority of full-time workers don't even have the option of working remotely due to the nature of the work they do, let alone a boss and/or company who is receptive to the idea.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

No Wave posted:

May I ask what your preferred takeaway is? My negotiations worked out perfectly to my liking, and the newfound free time allows me to break into my long term goal of freelance contracting with minimal risk. Our household budget is minimally affected by this move and is no where near broken.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
God paid today, just budgeted all my expenses for November with money already in my checking account. Finally a month ahead on my budget and not living paycheck to paycheck.

Feels great. A+ would budget again.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

God paid today, just budgeted all my expenses for November with money already in my checking account. Finally a month ahead on my budget and not living paycheck to paycheck.

Feels great. A+ would budget again.

Budgeting rules. Congratulations on your progress!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BossRighteous posted:

May I ask what your preferred takeaway is? My negotiations worked out perfectly to my liking, and the newfound free time allows me to break into my long term goal of freelance contracting with minimal risk. Our household budget is minimally affected by this move and is no where near broken.
No, your outcome is great, and it's fantastic that this gets to be your life now! I was referring to the reaction of hearing your story and saying "I can't do that" rather than attempting to apply your inspiration to any other applicable areas of life.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Yeahhhh. This has turned into a nightmare and probably will have to end up paying 3 grand out of pocket and then suing in small claims court to recoup.

I now have a check in my hand for the full amount and court costs. :hellyeah:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Just got a 25% raise and moved up to lead programmer! :toot:

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
February I was let go from my job. I'd been going back to school, and had - with the company's blessing - cut back my hours to 32 instead of 50+ (moved to hourly instead of salary). Company stuck by me for 14 months then let me go.

February through October I was unemployed. Partly by choice, but I knew I couldn't find a professional job paying what my last job did on a student's hours, with class during the day 4 days a week. Cut back on spending, and my wife had a small income, but still built up a small amount of credit card debt (6k or less).

Today, we have no outstanding debt beyond this months' purchases on our cards, and that's sub-$500.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I resigned from my job, and walked away winning - The owner of the company is happy to treat it as a sabbatical, so I can evaluate where I want to go in my career. I'm always welcome to give him a call and see what jobs are going. I've negotiated a better job in the meantime. Yay!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Berzerker posted:

My credit card, which at one point had a balance of $8,600, now has a balance of $0.

:feelsgood:

Next up, OSAP.

OSAP should be $0 within a year. In the meantime, I got a promotion (and a raise). Hell yeah.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Complained to my boss a while back about my tiny yearly raise, last week he finished arguing with HR and I got a 5k bump.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Finally have a month's worth of expenses saved for a rainy day... two more to go!

Plus my retirement account finally went over $20k! :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

My wife and I work at the same place and today the board approved a cost of living increase to go along with our merit raises (we're local government, basically) so we're both getting a 4.5% boost this year. Not earth shattering but I'll gladly take what I can get, hopefully it will counteract the "tax cliff" thing if nothing else.

Quoting myself from last year. This year the board approved a 2.5% cost of living increase. My wife and I still receive merit increases of 2.5% so it's an effective 5% raise for each of us. My approximate calculations say this is right around a $250/mo net increase, which will certainly come in handy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Achievement Unlocked: One Thousand Benjamins

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 27, 2013

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Year end principle debt paid off: $26,453
Additional Savings (beyond 401k): $10,230

Feels pretty good. Hopefully 2014 will bring more of the same with more debt pay down, shooting for $35K.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Paid off 3 student loans this year - $26,000 worth. I've had no fun money for a while and will not for a while longer but it will be worth it to have this non dischargable lovely debt off my shoulders.

Also my 401a is up to 27,000 after 2 years of contributions! :D

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
We just got our cell phone bill dropped from $115 a month for two lines to about $75 a month. We went into the store to get my husband a new phone since he lost his and the guy told us we were paying too much. We don't have smart phones or use data and when we got the phones, the cheapest plan they told us about was $50 per line. We switched to a really similar plan for $35 per line, and dropped our $10/month insurance. The guy helping us actually told us to not buy the insurance because phones like ours sell for $20-30 on Ebay and the $10/month insurance wasn't worth it. Thinking back, we had already paid $70 in insurance costs plus a $50 insurance co-pay for the phone we got yesterday so a $30 phone actually ended up costing us $120. That's a far cry from what the sales rep told us when we sighed the 2-year contract earlier this year - she basically pressured us into buying insurance (it's only $10 per month for both phones and you will use it! Hey Dave, how many insurance claims have we had today? See, we've already had 5 insurance claims JUST TODAY!). She also told us that we couldn't buy a used phone online and have it covered by insurance. So basically she had us convinced that we HAD to have insurance and it made sense at the time I guess.

So basically we got the first helpful Verizon store employee ever! He gave us his personal cell # and told us to call him if we ever needed help getting a new phone switched over (like if we lose one again, since we don't have insurance now) and he'd waive the fees for us.

So there's a lesson - if you have a dumbphone and don't use a lot of data, you can get a plan for $35/month and don't waste your money on insurance. It's actually cheaper in the long run to NOT have insurance.

Also my husband's grandmother gave us $5,000 and we're going to open a Roth IRA and hopefully we'll be able to throw more money in it on a regular basis. We don't have a lot of money to spare so the fact that we got this gift makes me pretty happy that we are at least starting to save for retirement.

razz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 2, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

razz posted:

Phone stuff

If you just have dumbphones (and don't use them a whole lot), you could probably do just a tracfone or something and get one of the phones that doubles your minutes that you buy. I think it's one of the cheapest ways to have a cellphone if they're just occasional use type things. Just FYI.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

dreesemonkey posted:

If you just have dumbphones (and don't use them a whole lot), you could probably do just a tracfone or something and get one of the phones that doubles your minutes that you buy. I think it's one of the cheapest ways to have a cellphone if they're just occasional use type things. Just FYI.

Yeah we have looked into that. That's actually what my husband used to have before we got married and we got onto a plan together. The downside to the tracphone thing - if you lose/break it, you either have to 1.) pay full retail price for a new one (the price of dumbphones are actually increasing, the phone my husband has is like $250 retail and doesn't even have a keyboard) and keep your phone number or 2.) buy an old/used phone but you have to get a different phone number which is a HUGE inconvenience. At least that was our experience when my husband was on a tracfone. Big pain in the rear end. Plus we text A LOT so we need something with unlimited texting. I'm sure there are cheaper plans than $35/month but compared to the $55/month we were paying, I'm pretty happy. Plus we're only 7 months into a 2 year contract with Verizon.

But seriously, have you ever gone into a cell phone store and had someone tell you your plan was too expensive? Blew my mind!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I use ting and they are super cheap if you limit your data usage. My bills the last two months have been below 20 dollars. But I am probably an edge case because I rarely ever talk on the phone.

I was doing some checking on my budget since I'm bored at work and realized I'm way ahead on some savings goals because I miscalculated what month the bills were due. I recalculated the monthly amount and threw the left-over on another savings goal.

Having a budget feels great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just got a promotion and a 10% raise. Hell yeah!

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Applied for a secondment and got it. The other day I saw a new version of the organisation chart had been put up and my name has 'Acting Supervisor' next to it with several names below :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberNonchalantguy
Jun 18, 2007
The easiest path through life is the life without adventure or rewards.
Closed on first house. Amazing I own a house!