Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

How is it acting up? Because it's doing weird things here too…

Videos just stop loading at random requiring a refresh of the browser. On some occasions it will start to play again after 30-60 seconds. It will do this multiple times per video. I've tried the usual tricks but nothing seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This was happening to me at random a few days ago, but I'm running Chrome on 10.8.3. I think Youtube's CDN might just be having some wonky issues.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh My Science posted:

Videos just stop loading at random requiring a refresh of the browser. On some occasions it will start to play again after 30-60 seconds. It will do this multiple times per video. I've tried the usual tricks but nothing seems to work.

Hmm… I get that, but it happens at the same time too often and too inconsistently to be able to say if it has anything to do with the browser or the OS. So I'd just stick with blaming youtube, personally. Recently, it has also started to default all new videos to zero volume on half of the computers around here for no obvious reason.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Rabid Koala posted:

You have to drag the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, then move down again to get the dock to display when it's hidden.

This is in Mavericks. Not sure if it's supposed to be a bug or a feature.

I don't know about turning it off, but you don't have to move-stop-move. Just do a slightly longer, continuous swipe as if you are trying to move the cursor off the edge of the screen.

One motion, not two.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 6, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

Recently, it has also started to default all new videos to zero volume on half of the computers around here for no obvious reason.

I get this as well, just forgot about it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rabid Koala posted:

You have to drag the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, then move down again to get the dock to display when it's hidden.

Conversely, this sounds great to me as I always hated trying to get something low in a window only for the dock to suddenly pop-up and a random app start loading.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Oneiros posted:

I don't know about turning it off, but you don't have to move-stop-move. Just do a slightly longer, continuous swipe as if you are trying to move the cursor off the edge of the screen.

One motion, not two.

Thank you! Doing this, I can consistently get the Dock to display.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Tippis posted:

Recently, it has also started to default all new videos to zero volume on half of the computers around here for no obvious reason.

Getting this as well. And three finger swipe to go forward/back in Finder isn't working for me either.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Rabid Koala posted:

This is how it works in Mountain Lion for me. I wish the menu bar worked the same way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh My Science posted:

I get this as well, just forgot about it.

Fiki posted:

Getting this as well. And three finger swipe to go forward/back in Finder isn't working for me either.

Apparently, it's a known issue and they're working on it. It can supposedly be fixed in the mean-time by doing a complete reinstall of Flash.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

VMWare Fusion 6 is noticeably slower and has worse compatibility with older programs for me, anybody else noticing this?
I was planning on buying at the end of the trial but instead I just downgraded to 5 and everything is faster and smoother.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I picked up my iMac in January when it was running 10.8.2, and restarts and shutdowns were pretty much instant. Since 10.8.3 through to .5, I've noticed up to a 20 sec delay on shutdowns.

This appears to be pretty prevalent based on some googling, and the following statement appears to offer a fix:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

This forces OS X to kill this process after 1 second, and is effective, but seems like a bit of a kludge to me.

Is there any reason why this process would be hanging for up to 20 secs? I've filed a bug report with Apple. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Most people never shutdown.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

Most people never shutdown.

Yeah, I never do unless I'm switching to Windows. I actually haven't restarted in 10.9 so I couldn't say if they fixed that issue yet or not.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I never do unless I'm switching to Windows. I actually haven't restarted in 10.9 so I couldn't say if they fixed that issue yet or not.

It has been fixed in 10.9 ( as of the GM anyway, I can't remember how it was in the DPs).

This made me very happy until I realized that I only shutdown maybe once a month. Oh well, at least it only takes 4 seconds now :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Since Mavericks is coming out soon, and I haven't had my 2013 Air that long, I was considering just backing up my photos then doing a clean slate install for the first time ever (last time around I just upgraded Lion to ML and went from there).

Question is, would I be doing the factory refresh to Mountain Lion then buying Mavericks, or when you get Mavericks would there be a relatively straightforward option to do a clean install? Just curious.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mavericks doesn't give you an option to do a clean installation by default, but you can make installation media to boot from and then do a clean installation.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For developers wondering how to make a USB installation disk, download Mavericks from the App Store and leave it in the default location, format a disk as "Untitled", and run this in the Terminal. I think it took about 15 minutes to finish.

code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I had copied that to my notes.app the first time you posted but good to know that's the relatively straightforward method. Really wish I'd put two and two together on that one.

Do we know yet if 8GB will still be large enough for the USB installation disk?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Do we know yet if 8GB will still be large enough for the USB installation disk?
8GB is fine.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I did the USB installation via createinstallmedia, made a USB bootable disk.

Then took that USB into Disk Utility, turned it into a DMG.

Going to see if that DMG is still bootable upon imaging it to another USB or booting it into a VM

Kind of a cludge-y thing to do, but I am so drat used to having a bootable dmg image on my file center for work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In my anecdotal experience, 8 GB is fine for installs but if you are using a USB drive for utility purposes invest in a 16/32 GB flash key as a full system needs the VM space at some point.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

jeeves posted:

I did the USB installation via createinstallmedia, made a USB bootable disk.

Then took that USB into Disk Utility, turned it into a DMG.

Going to see if that DMG is still bootable upon imaging it to another USB or booting it into a VM

Kind of a cludge-y thing to do, but I am so drat used to having a bootable dmg image on my file center for work.

As I guessed, this simple trick doesn't work. The DMG made from the bootable install media (made with createinstallmedia) doesn't boot.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there a way to reset the badge on mail.app to 0 without having to actually mark all e-mails as read?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there a way to reset the badge on mail.app to 0 without having to actually mark all e-mails as read?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the badge?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I have a quadrillion unread emails that I don't want to mark as unread, but I do want to know when I have new incoming ones without starting at 8834 and wondering how many new e-mails that means I have. Setting the badge back to 0 and only marking new incoming emails from this day forward would be useful.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I have a quadrillion unread emails that I don't want to mark as unread, but I do want to know when I have new incoming ones without starting at 8834 and wondering how many new e-mails that means I have. Setting the badge back to 0 and only marking new incoming emails from this day forward would be useful.

Archive your "unread" ones. If you're using Gmail, for example, this approach will do what you want. Otherwise, that count refers to the number of unread mails in the inbox, and I'm not sure you'll find a mail client that will do otherwise on any platform.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mr. Onslaught posted:

A bit of a faff, but… if you don't want to use archiving, one work-around would be to create a combination of auto-flagging/tagging and a smart mailbox. If you can figure out a rule or tag for everything you want to see (or not see), you can make the smart mailbox only contain or exclude those mails, and then tell mail to use that smart mailbox as the “Dock unread count”.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guys its diss time. Any recommendations on reference management?

vvv thanks guys, sorted.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 23, 2014

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

My Air has been doing this weird thing lately where it will try to connect to WiFi at home and then I get the popup about "another computer on your network is using this IP address." I'll try the troubleshooting tips in Network Preferences, I'll cycle the router, I'll reboot. Nothing will fix it until it decides to fix itself. Sometimes it's two minutes later, sometimes it's 20 minutes later, but it'll just connect out of nowhere. :iiam:

The connection will last until the laptop sleeps or I shut the cover. Sometimes it will still be connected when I open it back up, other times not.

This was happening on the AirPort Extreme I have. I disconnected the AirPort and am now just using the AT&T U-Verse residential gateway's wifi router. I get similar issues on my Nexus 4 (although it doesn't give me any warning message like the Air) and my wife has issues connecting with her iPhone 4 and iPad. The portable devices will just show the wifi as connected, but are unable to access the internet. They will eventually start working too. Other computers on our network (Dell laptop, wife's Macbook, Playstation 3) all work without issues.

I even tried going into the residential gateway's control panel and assigning my Air a static IP, thinking that it's not refreshing DHCP info like it should be, but it hasn't seemed to help. I'm at my wit's end here...
:negative:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Do you have some double NAT thing going or something where DHCP is on both devices so they give out the same addresses?

Make sure your Uverse thing is in bridge mode or set it to give out 192.168.1.x addresses and set your airport to give out 10.0.0.0 addresses

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jototo posted:

My Air has been doing this weird thing lately where it will try to connect to WiFi at home and then I get the popup about "another computer on your network is using this IP address." I'll try the troubleshooting tips in Network Preferences, I'll cycle the router, I'll reboot. Nothing will fix it until it decides to fix itself. Sometimes it's two minutes later, sometimes it's 20 minutes later, but it'll just connect out of nowhere. :iiam:

The connection will last until the laptop sleeps or I shut the cover. Sometimes it will still be connected when I open it back up, other times not.

This was happening on the AirPort Extreme I have. I disconnected the AirPort and am now just using the AT&T U-Verse residential gateway's wifi router. I get similar issues on my Nexus 4 (although it doesn't give me any warning message like the Air) and my wife has issues connecting with her iPhone 4 and iPad. The portable devices will just show the wifi as connected, but are unable to access the internet. They will eventually start working too. Other computers on our network (Dell laptop, wife's Macbook, Playstation 3) all work without issues.

I even tried going into the residential gateway's control panel and assigning my Air a static IP, thinking that it's not refreshing DHCP info like it should be, but it hasn't seemed to help. I'm at my wit's end here...

Edit: I should probably read your post in entirety before I reply.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Is anyone else experiencing issues with scrolling on Mavericks GM? It feels off, specially with the app launcher, it sort of skips and stutters, also battery time is shorter than ML by a wide margin, installation is 3 days old so I don't think is indexing. Mountain Lion was pretty much flawless so I'm really bummed about the upgrade. Should I clean install it or is that irrelevant?

Its on a 15' 2011 MBP with 8GB of RAM and a 2.3 iCore 7, battery has less than 100 cycles.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had to adjust my scrolling speed after upgrading from ML. Battery life on my 2013 MBA and my GF's 2010 MBA is WAY better than under ML.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

mulligan posted:

Is anyone else experiencing issues with scrolling on Mavericks GM? It feels off, specially with the app launcher, it sort of skips and stutters, also battery time is shorter than ML by a wide margin, installation is 3 days old so I don't think is indexing. Mountain Lion was pretty much flawless so I'm really bummed about the upgrade. Should I clean install it or is that irrelevant?

Its on a 15' 2011 MBP with 8GB of RAM and a 2.3 iCore 7, battery has less than 100 cycles.
Maybe it's because I'm old fashioned but I can't bring myself to do update installs of operating systems. Stuff always seems to be just a little bit weird after doing them in my (admittedly anecdotal) experience.

I'd recommend backing up to time machine and using a USB stick (with the method SWSP linked earlier) to do a fresh install and then restore the TM backup onto it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jototo posted:

Other than what Bob Morales said (basically make sure the U-Verse router and AirPort networks aren't conflicting), when you're trying assigning a static IP are you doing it outside the DHCP range at least?

(I'd try suggesting more but...it's kinda hard to tell without knowing all the IPs/ranges and whole network setup you got going on)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Other than what Bob Morales said (basically make sure the U-Verse router and AirPort networks aren't conflicting), when you're trying assigning a static IP are you doing it outside the DHCP range at least?

(I'd try suggesting more but...it's kinda hard to tell without knowing all the IPs/ranges and whole network setup you got going on)

We had this clusterfuck of D-Link routers scattered around the building, someone here tried to set them up all on the same SSID but they left DHCP on so they were all giving out the same 192.168.1.1-100 address pool...every two days you'd have to reset all the routers because they'd all have given the same addresses to three different clients.

Shut DHCP off on all of them, plugged them all into an old router from our server room I had laying around (not a D-Link) to do NAT and DHCP and haven't had a problem since.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wireshark dump from the Air when this is happening.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I think I hosed something up on my new 2013 3tb fusion imac. I tried to install windows 8 and got to to the part where I choose partition during the windows 8 installation. It then said it couldn't find any partition, so I tried to format the Bootcamp-partition (still in the windows 8 installer). That didn't work, so I went through the process again, but this time I deleted the partition in the windows 8 installer. It still didn't work, and now I get this in bootcamp:

Disk utility:

I couldn't do anything in recovery mode either. I even tried to reinstall OSX, but it didn't do anything.

I just read that my external HD could be the cause of the installation problem, and that I should just disconnect it while windows 8 did its thing. I feel so stupid.

Can I get my 105GB back?

Edit:
This is what cs list gives, if that's any help:

CoreStorage logical volume groups (3 found)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group 51276AAD-07C4-4B1F-81CB-2EBF3C69DE03
| =========================================================
| Name: Macintosh HD
| Status: Online
| Size: 3015530373120 B (3.0 TB)
| Free Space: 114688 B (114.7 KB)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 9C1DBE0F-F462-4AD6-9158-E9F4C16B6304
| | ----------------------------------------------------
| | Index: 0
| | Disk: disk1s2
| | Status: Online
| | Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 44F28875-88C6-4CDA-9FC2-596850A6AFE7
| | ----------------------------------------------------
| | Index: 1
| | Disk: disk0s2
| | Status: Online
| | Size: 2894541520896 B (2.9 TB)
| |
| +-> Logical Volume Family C7AE0F11-924C-4720-8815-CC4A1336CC8B
| ----------------------------------------------------------
| Encryption Status: Unlocked
| Encryption Type: None
| Conversion Status: NoConversion
| Conversion Direction: -none-
| Has Encrypted Extents: No
| Fully Secure: No
| Passphrase Required: No
| |
| +-> Logical Volume 19F0826B-90C0-4315-8A19-F842E42B6CB8
| ---------------------------------------------------
| Disk: disk2
| Size (Total): 3000999870464 B (3.0 TB)
| Size (Converted): -none-
| Revertible: No
| LV Name: Macintosh HD
| Volume Name: Macintosh HD
| Content Hint: Apple_HFS
|
+-- Logical Volume Group 2FEE744D-26DE-403B-BE14-79BEF60BC27D
| =========================================================
| Name: disk0s4
| Size: 314572800 B (314.6 MB)
| Free Space: 0 B (0 B)
| |
| +-< Physical Volume 37EFD29D-C679-4C24-83CC-FA5FC45CDA2D
| ----------------------------------------------------
| Index: 0
| Disk: disk0s4
| Size: 314572800 B (314.6 MB)
|
+-- Logical Volume Group E2329A74-B855-4E74-9912-DE1AE2F82275
=========================================================
Name: 07
Size: 104503644160 B (104.5 GB)
Free Space: 104184868864 B (104.2 GB)
|
+-< Physical Volume AAE49D38-CF16-4E96-9745-C1138AC1BD9D
----------------------------------------------------
Index: 0
Disk: disk0s7
Size: 104503644160 B (104.5 GB)

mongoibur fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The Mavericks update did overwrite my pf.conf. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh, wonderful!

The Mavericks upgrade has hosed (at least) one of my fonts in Keynote, such that all of the letters are mashed on top of each other in every text box formatted with that font (Bradley Hand ITC TT). I'm sure that will be a lovely little edge case that will take years to finally track down and fix.

Thousands of lecture slides now need to be re-edited. I need to go outside for a few minutes, I think.