Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

The new Tedit claims to be able to do this, you should be able to open your world (after backing it up), check the "saved Goblin" box, hit save and have him show up on the next cycle of NPC spawns.

So, once I've defeated the Golem.. Is that it? Do I have to kill Plantera again for another temple key so I can go to a different world's temple and loot the power cells to fight him some more, or do they just (rarely) drop off the mobs in there?

Also, Nimbus cloud and a small platform 3-wide above your head makes most of his attacks useless, you can just stand there and let the rain do the work. Until the last 10% health when his eye-lasers start actually hurting a bit.

Have you got the steampunker? If so, two telleporters (5 gold all told) and a few wires will let you enter temples without a key, in case you didn't get a picksaw. Whoever pointed that out in the thread deserves a medal, since I was frustrated with having 13 golem kills or so and not a single picksaw, and I thought getting a new temple key meant killing Plantera in another world (hint, it doesn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Have you got the steampunker? If so, two telleporters (5 gold all told) and a few wires will let you enter temples without a key, in case you didn't get a picksaw. Whoever pointed that out in the thread deserves a medal, since I was frustrated with having 13 golem kills or so and not a single picksaw, and I thought getting a new temple key meant killing Plantera in another world (hint, it doesn't).

No, I got the picksaw (three of them, actually) just not much else in terms of drops. The heat gun is neat (No mana, does magical damage) but the shadowbeam staff is still "better" in both a usefulness of lighting areas and for killing dudes. I kinda wanted to see the golem fist and stuff.

And no, the dungeon color is still random, but I've had more blue than pink dungeons. I almost want to say that blue dungeons spawn on the right and pink on the left, but I may be misremembering (and someone in the thread will probably post a screenshot of a blue left dungeon and a pink right one.)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've gotten the pink dungeon since 1.2, so I think it is just bad luck for you. And it was on the right.

The ugly cave spiders, I don't mind those. I do mind the giant bloated godawful ticks that you find in the Crimson, however :stonk:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Alternative to using meteor shot to find a Floating Island, make some gravitation potions and fly through the sky by moving sideways and flipping gravity every little while, you get a nice coverage by zig-zagging that way. Just make sure you land before the time runs out unless you have someway to slow down falling, like a sandstorm / blizzard / cloud in a bottle.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Are the dungeons just always blue all the time now? I've generated four worlds and all the dungeons are blue on blue. I wiped my game and started over so now I don't have any pink dungeon blocks and those amused me.

Nope, the one in my main world is pink, though I think there might be an assorted bunch of coloured bits throughout it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

You know what's fun, but might lag your game to death? Fighting the Destroyer with piss. Tried it earlier with my full Spectral guy, and managed to take off like 1/4 to 1/2 of its health (can't remember exactly) in one pass. I thought my game was going to sputter and die though. It was glorious.

Piss Wizardry is basically my MO for bosses right now. And everything else actually. Piss everywhere, and Megashark them while they're covered.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

McDragon posted:

Piss Wizardry is basically my MO for bosses right now. And everything else actually. Piss everywhere, and Megashark them while they're covered.

I've been playing multi with my pals and when they're hard at work building their houses I walk in and piss my entire mana pool on the floor in front of them or on their beds or cookpots or (thanks to some fun buggy geometry) through the sloped roofs of their houses into their attics or living rooms.

It annoys and creeps the hell out of them that I stay dead silent on our running Skype call when I do it. :allears:

Also cripes, I've been idling letting pygmies kill meteors in my Crimson for an hour or two now while I watch crap on Netflix. This would be unbearably tedious if I actually had to pay it attention.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Any goon active server?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paladins can't throw hammers down, only up and side to side.

Cheese it while you can folks.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Terraria 1.2 - Give the world a golden shower

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

DelphiAegis posted:

So, once I've defeated the Golem.. Is that it? Do I have to kill Plantera again for another temple key so I can go to a different world's temple and loot the power cells to fight him some more, or do they just (rarely) drop off the mobs in there?

They do drop off of lihzarhds in the the temple, but only them and you're right, only rarely. It will probably be easier to kill Plantera again for the key and then going to a new world to get more power cells. You should probably kill Plantera/Golem a bunch of times anyway, since they both have a bunch of different cool drops you might not have!

But other than that, no there arent any more new bosses. Until the Moon gets put in

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Are the dungeons just always blue all the time now? I've generated four worlds and all the dungeons are blue on blue. I wiped my game and started over so now I don't have any pink dungeon blocks and those amused me.

Just dumb luck, dungeons can either be blue, pink, or green brick still. Red changed the texture of them though, I don't think the pink is as pink as it was before. You could always make bubblegum brick though if you want some pretty pretty pinkness.

benzine posted:

Any goon active server?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572758

Don't know which port is the new character one, the other worlds got chewed to hell as we said "gently caress sleep" and blitzed through all the new content/dicked around.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

So I just bought this game and have been playing it for the first time. I don't really wanna look at the Wiki and learn everything there is to do and make without experimenting, but I feel real powerless stuck with a standard spear and lead armor as my gear. What should I be looking for to get good at combat?

I feel blessed that I managed to find a flying carpet, cloud in a bottle, parasol, climbing boots, and roughly 900 rope in fairly short amount of time, so I feel like I can go anywhere, but cant fight anything when I get there :/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The update's been out for almost a week now, so I think it's time to update the OP with relevant information from the patch. That said, I'm not sure what to include. What new information would you guys like to see in the OP?

Frequently asked questions, helpful tips, things like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I scrapped World the First to join a small goon server that he just started last night. We found a desert and some snow in the other end with a bunch of flying claw eye monsters that were dangerous as gently caress and dropped rotten chunks, so we fled. In the desert Speakout and I found several iron and tungsten veins, and I found the Toe Spikes to go with my Climbing Claws and then I found a Sapphire Hook, so now I'm officially Spider-Man and it is awesome. Managed to cobble together a hodge podge of iron, copper, and RAIN HAT armor, and now I have a sweet Gold sword and tungsten pick.

One thing that's weird, I found a weird black spikey chest in a cave with weird grey energy coming off it, but it has no mouseover and I couldn't figure out what it was for. I also found a sort of pinkish twinkling metal looking ore that I couldn't break... wasn't amethyst since I found that already and made a wand that I can fire a whopping three times before running out of mana because gently caress finding Fallen Stars with swarms of flying demon crabs.

Also, we built a castle and then someone blew 4 huge holes in it with bombs and zombies swarmed in and it was hilarious. As revenge I buried the culprit under a mountain of sand and placed his tombstone in the foyer as a warning. :black101:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I think this was touched upon briefly a few pages back, but what's the consensus on making your npc village eclipse proof? Flying fortress below the wyvern level? Would having a floating island for the fortress to rest on work, or would mobs just spawn on the soil there?

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

nftyw posted:

Sun Pyramid. Moon Pyramid.
:getin:

Thanks you monster, now I'm compelled to recreate levels from La Mulana.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Make sure to get a lot of teleporters and wires to recreate all the teleporter mazes. :getin:

Looks like some of the enemies before hardmode get completely replaced by new mobs in hardmode. Unfortunately, some of them have different drops, so you essentially lose out on a few items forever if you change your world to hardmode too fast, which is pretty annoying.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SourceElement posted:

The update's been out for almost a week now, so I think it's time to update the OP with relevant information from the patch. That said, I'm not sure what to include. What new information would you guys like to see in the OP?

Well, start with new bosses and npcs I think.
Talk about which areas have new hard mode enemies.
Say something about tin, lead, etc replacing standard metals because several people have missed that.
Talk about the biome-keys and chests from the hardmode dungeon.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I like how chests deep in the Lihzhard temple have like... silver and some grenades and oh look, a regular healing potion. Even the dungeon chests that open with special keys have just random crap for loot besides the main prize.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Saxophone posted:

How the hell do you even kill wall of flesh with normal mode gear? I've got full molten armor with obsidian skull and the rose that lets me touch lava and not die and I'm just getting demolished and I don't feel like I'm doing much damage to it at all. I suppose I will potion up and see if that helps but yikes. I get the little feelers dead and then the wall to like 6k/8k health and then just die horribly. By then, I can't catch up with him and he'll have despawned. Oy.

Demon Scythe will wreck the WoF.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I killed him with a hellstone bow, firing hellstone/jester's arrows. Make sure you have a relatively clear path in either direction, because I'm pretty sure he spawns from a random direction, and then just run backwards firing arrows and dodging laser beams. Ironskin and archery potions will help.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Saxophone posted:

Build a bridge, get close, then spam the hell out of a harpoon. That's the way I first beat it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
He spawns moving towards the center. Explore the underground and cover over any lava and make a runnable path towards the center of the map. If you have mediocre weapons, make the path nice and long. Demon Scythe and even Water Bolt will ruin his day, though it could take a while.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I killed him last night in a fresh 1.2 game using a long runway to fight on, molten armor, an archery potion, and molten fury. Took a couple of attempts but as long as you don't have to pay attention to jumping over lava and stuff it's just a case of pouring arrows into his eye.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

SourceElement posted:

You should probably say something about the pyramid/ great tree spawns, since people can easily miss that they exist if they don't spawn in their world.

Also make sure to mention the context key (shift) and the grappling hook key (e) because those make life significantly easier

Fuzz posted:

One thing that's weird, I found a weird black spikey chest in a cave with weird grey energy coming off it, but it has no mouseover and I couldn't figure out what it was for. I also found a sort of pinkish twinkling metal looking ore that I couldn't break... wasn't amethyst since I found that already and made a wand that I can fire a whopping three times before running out of mana because gently caress finding Fallen Stars with swarms of flying demon crabs.

You sure it's a chest? It sounds like a Demon Altar, which is used for crafting like 4 specific items. You don't really have to worry about those until you get a Pwnhammer. Hitting it with any other hammer is not recommended.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Oh having a good sword ready for later on to clear out the little worms that start spawning is really helpful - stop and take a moment to clear them out which will also probably drop a bunch of hearts and mana.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saxophone posted:

I used a phoenix blaster and meteor shot. Having a clear path you can just keep running on is very helpful. Lava waders make getting that easier since you don't have to build bridges over the lava.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Either spectral gear is way too powerful, or ectoplasm is way too plentiful, because I just went to make the dungeon into my magical realm screw around in the dungeon with my Golden Shower and cobalt gear and walked out with enough to craft a pickaxe that lets me jump six equipment tiers ahead in pickaxe power :stare:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Daeren posted:

Either spectral gear is way too powerful, or ectoplasm is way too plentiful, because I just went to make the dungeon into my magical realm screw around in the dungeon with my Golden Shower and cobalt gear and walked out with enough to craft a pickaxe that lets me jump six equipment tiers ahead in pickaxe power :stare:

I really don't believe in nerfing things in casual games like this unless they're ridiculously, absurdly broken.

That being said - spectral gear is too loving powerful and needs to be nerfed. My friend and I got to the golem boss and we have no idea what he did because I just sat still swinging a sword at him while my friend shot magnet orbs at him with spectral armor. Neither of us had any buffs and I never drank any potions.

There's almost no reason to use anything else, especially considering using it requires no boss drops.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I did it by making a long dirt path through the under world. I beat him using a mix of the Demon Scythe spell and meteorite armor with a space blaster.

I made a new building world after converting my first to hardmode. It isn't hardmode yet as I have a lot of building to do, but I did spend several hours today making an above ground mushroom farm complete with house for the mushroom guy. Its not fully decorated yet as I need to get a lot of furniture and vanity decorations yet. I can say that I am glad I have some hardmode gear because the above ground mushroom area spawns some nasty poo poo even when not in hardmode.

Are there better ways top make screenshots or am I stuck printscreening and using an image mashing program to capture an area?

edit: yeah I can take single screenshots but to take in a whole area I guess I just have to take a ton and use a program to stitch them together.

Welp here is what I am working on atm.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 7, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

Are there better ways top make screenshots or am I stuck printscreening and using an image mashing program to capture an area?

Steam has a screenshot hotkey that should work. Dunno what default is, mine is set to F12

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
^^^ Pancakes, you're probably looking for this: http://moreterra.codeplex.com/

SourceElement posted:

A "hold button to repeatedly leftclick" script for autohotkey like the one that Shukaro posted is drat handy if you don't like hitting leftclick every single time you want to swing some swords. I'd point people to Autohotkey and include the code starting with "XButton1" from his post below.

Shukaro posted:

Here are the two AHK macros I use for terraria:
code:
F12::
WinGet, WindowID, ID, A
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
return

XButton1::
    While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
    {
        Click
        Sleep 10
    }
return
The first snippet will resize + deborder a window with F12 and the second will left click while the side button is held. Has saved me a fuckton of clicking.

EvilSlug fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 7, 2013

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Daeren posted:

Well you've sort of jumped ahead of what I suppose was the expected sequence, in going cobalt>ectoplasm, though I'm honestly surprised you were able to last long enough in there to farm that much.

President Ark posted:

I really don't believe in nerfing things in casual games like this unless they're ridiculously, absurdly broken.

That being said - spectral gear is too loving powerful and needs to be nerfed. My friend and I got to the golem boss and we have no idea what he did because I just sat still swinging a sword at him while my friend shot magnet orbs at him with spectral armor. Neither of us had any buffs and I never drank any potions.

There's almost no reason to use anything else, especially considering using it requires no boss drops.

I think the problem is that bosses(especially the Golem) are too weak, and would probably benefit from more debuff abilities alongside some AI tweaks, like giving a boss a silence ability and the capability to detect which players are at least using magic and maybe even take that a step further to try to use poo poo on players who are buffing/healing other players. Or the ability to nullify set bonuses for a limited time or something.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Soho Joe posted:

I look forward to seeing results :)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Soho Joe posted:

Sadly we don't have upside-down slopes yet.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Do shadow chests exist anymore? I've been back and forth in a medium world and haven't found one. Are any of the mapping apps updates for 1.2 yet?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

PlotDevice posted:

Do shadow chests exist anymore? I've been back and forth in a medium world and haven't found one. Are any of the mapping apps updates for 1.2 yet?

I combed Hell from one end to the other in a medium world and found a total of 3.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PlotDevice posted:

They only spawn in the buildings, which only spawn in the middle...I want to say third of Hell. They're pretty rare so you won't find many.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I would honestly say that making bosses harder is kind of the wrong way to go when the more logical thing to do would be to nerf the overpowered things. There's plenty of people who don't really feel like abusing the broken as poo poo healing of the Spectre set, and 'punishing' them for it by making the new bosses even harder to kill would be a swift kick in the rear end. No one wants it to turn into a test of whether or not you have X and Y required to win instead of a test of skill/brute force/preparation/whatever. It's an issue that's pretty much always going to be present when a game has a very defined 'tier' system for armor/weapons with not much deviation, but it doesn't help to enable people using the overpowered stuff by making it tougher for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

PlotDevice posted:

Shadow chests are an underworld thing, TEdit works but doesn't have/load the sprites for all the different blocks yet, anything that shows up pink is one of those new blocks(some bricks show up transparent as well), mousing over it will let you know which block it is.

It seems to have problems with something on my wire test/showcase world because it can't even load it up, it is almost certainly the different coloured wires I have overlapping eachother.

If you want to use it for just viewing a map of your world then it works fine, but if you want to do some serious map editing then wait until it's been updated.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I would honestly say that making bosses harder is kind of the wrong way to go when the more logical thing to do would be to nerf the overpowered things. There's plenty of people who don't really feel like abusing the broken as poo poo healing of the Spectre set, and 'punishing' them for it by making the new bosses even harder to kill would be a swift kick in the rear end. No one wants it to turn into a test of whether or not you have X and Y required to win instead of a test of skill/brute force/preparation/whatever. It's an issue that's pretty much always going to be present when a game has a very defined 'tier' system for armor/weapons with not much deviation, but it doesn't help to enable people using the overpowered stuff by making it tougher for the rest.

Which is why I suggested some new abilities and AI tweaks that set out to target those potentially overpowered things specifically instead of just a blanket health + damage increase.

lohli fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 7, 2013

• Locked thread