Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

He's a Weirdboy, he already gets Psychic powers - and they get stronger the more people there are next to him. GM could probably allow him to do stronger than normal poo poo if he wanted as a special one time thing with the worshippers as a part of this adventure. Still, there aren't too many of them yet, only sixty I think? It was just one village of super primitive weird aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My regular game last night fell through, so those of us who were around played Fiasco for the first time, this is how it went:

It started with Dr Sagrus DDS cleaning the teeth of Theodore when he gets a call from his underage lover Francis. Then Theodore and Francis met up to talk about their lives and Francis pledged to help his friend find peace with the memories that haunt him. Then Francis and Dr Sagrus met up for their tryst and Francis blackmailed him for access to real drugs instead of the laughing gas he's usually compensated with. The blackmail is busted, but Dr Sagrus agrees to the deal anyway the next day after church. Meanwhile we flash back 10 years as little Theodore tells something he shouldn't have to his grandma, which then sullies his sisters reputation in the small southern town, the root of his haunting guilt stress.

Act 2 started with Dr Sagrus making a drug deal while his wife calls him on the phone, demanding to ask if he's cheating. He mollifies her, but the dealer takes his jeweled wedding band as collateral since he was short on the cash. Theodore tries to get another part time job at a bbq joint and considers using the family's secret dry rub to land it, but it triggers a panic attack as we flashback again to 18 year old Theodore receiving the secret at his grandma's death bed. When he came to, Francis told him his real plan all along: he just wanted Dr Sagrus to land the drugs, and then they'd steal them in disguise. The theft works, but the disguise doesn't, and Dr Sagrus gets the jump on them to take them back.

In the standoff Theodore offers up his family's secret recipe, which is something Dr Sagrus has been wanting all along, and he goes nuts with it; especially when he learns the secret ingredient that he could never have laerned from dental cleanings: powdered human teeth. There's a scuffle, Francis raises the suitcase full of cocaine just in time to deflect Dr Sagrus' bullet, but it nicks Theodore in the arm. They run out and leave the briefcase behind and fly down the highway. Theodore gets patched up at the hospital, reveals he doodled absentmindedly on the recipe while Theodore was out of commission, and that's the end of act 2.

In the aftermath Francis runs in the winning touchdown at state and starts dating Theodore's sister. Theodore makes up with his family since he took a bullet for their secret recipe and gets a letter from the New Yorker. Dr Sagrus' wife leaves him and is eventually arrested when its discovered he's pulling teeth just to grind them up for food.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
My group played Dark Heresy for the first time the other day. None of us are super knowledgeable about the lore and the universe, but we know enough to bumble around. We only had two players for it aside from the DM, so my friend rolled up a female Scum who used to rob trains and scam people on an old backwater world, and I made an Arbitrator who has turned out to be more or less Denzel Washington's character in Training Day. I rolled randomly for my character to be a dark skinned man, and was initially thinking I was going to play like the Operative in Serenity, but (partially because of the Scum) that has fallen through.

To start off, we were tasked with hunting down a Slaanesh cult rumored to be started by a rogue former Imperium Psyker, on a relatively comfortable, settled world. We ask around for information, and end up in a bar that may or may not have been near a meeting place for this cult. The bartender gives us some information and tells us there was a rumor that people were going into the alleyway next to his bar and maybe doing things there. I flip out and start demanding to know why he never contacted anyone about this, as it's been going on for a few weeks at least, and the bartender was like, "It was only a rumor, sir!" So I say "Now I don't like to throw around the word Heresy lightly, and this isn't necessarily heresy itself, but your lack of vigilance is what allows heresy to thrive! I will make note of this in my report." At this point I stormed out. We investigate the alley, find a secret entrance to the sewers, find a hidden door, locate the cultist's base. The Scum gets us in the locked door, and we shoot up a few cultists. I got injured in the fight, so we burn the corpses and leave for some rest, ready to try again the next day.

We get up the next day, and the Scum asks me how I feel about her doing a little "extra curricular activity" to make some extra money. I tell her if she can't control her penchant for lawbreaking, she might as well do something useful, so I tell her to go burglarize the bar we were at yesterday. She agrees to this, so I tap into the local law enforcement radio signals and wait nearby. Eventually a call goes in for a disturbance at the bar, so I walk over and ask what the problem is. Our Scum had hired someone to run a protection racket scam on the place, and the bartender was trying to get some police in to handle it. I read him the riot act, berating him for only running to the law when things directly affect him, and tell him this is clearly the God-Emperor's punishment for not being faithful and notifying the proper authorities when something suspicious was going on. After a good, therapeutic holler, I hear the radio chatter regarding the cops showing up at the bar, so I leave to go outside to meet them. I then proceed to yell at the police officers, telling them they were late, and did they have any idea that there was an entire cult of Slaanesh under this very street, etc. and rolled really well to intimidate them into coming with me, after calling them soft and weak and threatening to get them reassigned to a "colder, harsher world where your faith in the Imperium could be truly displayed."

The Scum joins back up with me and the squad of locals, and we go down to the cultist's hideout once more. They had a vanguard waiting for us, as I figured they would, and managed to take out all but one of the police before getting wiped out themselves. My partner and I collect upgrades from the fallen cops, not before waving my Arbitrator ID at the remaining cop who was protesting our blatant looting of dead people. We continue raiding the place, and come across a closet with some strange moaning emanating from it. "Whatever's going on in there is clearly heresy!" I state, so we shoot out the nearby lights with silenced pistols, and knock on the door to wait in the shadows. A nearly naked man opens the door, covered in various bodily fluids, and says "Is that you, Slaanesh? Have you come for me, I have come for you!" the Scum and I look at each other disgustedly and open fire, gunning him down with extreme prejudice. We all had a good laugh about that at the table, and the DM said "I don't know why, but that's all I could come up with at the moment."

Continuing on, we come to a door that is carved with VERY heretical engravings, and looking through the keyhole, we see a VERY heretical scene involving a bunch of people doing VERY heretical things. The Scum has the best idea ever, and I should take note right now that this is the sort of player who saves drat near everything he can. We've acquired some cultist robes/rags, some alcohol in a glass bottle, and various other things, but the point is, through the magic of fastidious inventory bookkeeping, we made a combination frag grenade/molotov cocktail out of the alcohol, some pellets out of one of our shotgun shells, and a ripped off piece of cloth stuck in the bottle. I breach the door and the Scum runs in and yells "Where's the heresy!?" and hucks the thing into the middle of this orgy, killing a few people and lighting even more on fire. We clean up after killing the rogue Psyker, and loot a bunch of heretical sacrificial daggers off the dead people. They all have symbols of Slaanesh on them, and the Scum decides to hang onto them.

After another night of rest, the Scum pipes up, "So, want to see if we can root out more heresy and corruption? Let's go try to sell these daggers and arrest whoever tries to buy them!" I am all in for this plan, even though I know drat well the woman doesn't give a rat's rear end about the Inquisition (it should be noted that her service was not entirely voluntary, and she was wearing a bomb collar, which I had the activator for) We commandeer a car in the name of the God-Emperor of Mankind, which is the nicest way possible of saying we carjacked someone at gunpoint and then demanded they not tell anyone, Inquisition business you see. We drive to the next town, and after a few hours of not much success, the Scum actually gets a lead to another cult, just barely starting to form, this one a cult of Nurgle.

The DM was looking rather pleased with himself for managing not to let us arrest someone and confiscate all their poo poo for no reason, but we had not yet begun to be corrupt assholes. We go over to the apartment building, said to be a place where some shady people were hanging out doing culty things. There are two men on the stoop of this place, and I attempt to ignore them and barge in, but they stop me. I start flashing the badge and demanding to be allowed inside, and they're being jerks about it, and one of them starts calling me a dirty pig and using a bunch of racial slurs. At this point I stated, loudly and with exaggerated pronunciation, "You wouldn't be impeding an Inquisition investigation would? It sure would be bad for you if you were obstructing justice!" I then proceed to whip out my shotgun and blast him directly in the chest. The Scum got my hint and already had her knife at the other guy's throat by the time the body hits the ground. I cover the still alive man with my gun and ask the Scum "Ms. Solaris, do you still have those daggers?" "Uh, yeah" "Good. Plant one on the dead guy."

We then took the guy out for a spin in our stolen car, conducting an orderly interrogation that was perfectly within the stated regulations expected of any law enforcement and definitely did not violate anyone's human rights, and once the man graciously volunteered some information, we called in a bomb threat on the building so the local cops would again show up to act as cannon fodder for us. So that was our first Dark Heresy session! We are probably doing it all wrong and violating many sacred tenets of Warhammer lore, but it was a lot of fun regardless.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
... Did you just run a session of The Shield: 40k? Because that's awesome.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nucular Carmul posted:

My group played Dark Heresy for the first time the other day. None of us are super knowledgeable about the lore and the universe, but we know enough to bumble around. We only had two players for it aside from the DM, so my friend rolled up a female Scum who used to rob trains and scam people on an old backwater world, and I made an Arbitrator who has turned out to be more or less Denzel Washington's character in Training Day. I rolled randomly for my character to be a dark skinned man, and was initially thinking I was going to play like the Operative in Serenity, but (partially because of the Scum) that has fallen through.

To start off, we were tasked with hunting down a Slaanesh cult rumored to be started by a rogue former Imperium Psyker, on a relatively comfortable, settled world. We ask around for information, and end up in a bar that may or may not have been near a meeting place for this cult. The bartender gives us some information and tells us there was a rumor that people were going into the alleyway next to his bar and maybe doing things there. I flip out and start demanding to know why he never contacted anyone about this, as it's been going on for a few weeks at least, and the bartender was like, "It was only a rumor, sir!" So I say "Now I don't like to throw around the word Heresy lightly, and this isn't necessarily heresy itself, but your lack of vigilance is what allows heresy to thrive! I will make note of this in my report." At this point I stormed out. We investigate the alley, find a secret entrance to the sewers, find a hidden door, locate the cultist's base. The Scum gets us in the locked door, and we shoot up a few cultists. I got injured in the fight, so we burn the corpses and leave for some rest, ready to try again the next day.

We get up the next day, and the Scum asks me how I feel about her doing a little "extra curricular activity" to make some extra money. I tell her if she can't control her penchant for lawbreaking, she might as well do something useful, so I tell her to go burglarize the bar we were at yesterday. She agrees to this, so I tap into the local law enforcement radio signals and wait nearby. Eventually a call goes in for a disturbance at the bar, so I walk over and ask what the problem is. Our Scum had hired someone to run a protection racket scam on the place, and the bartender was trying to get some police in to handle it. I read him the riot act, berating him for only running to the law when things directly affect him, and tell him this is clearly the God-Emperor's punishment for not being faithful and notifying the proper authorities when something suspicious was going on. After a good, therapeutic holler, I hear the radio chatter regarding the cops showing up at the bar, so I leave to go outside to meet them. I then proceed to yell at the police officers, telling them they were late, and did they have any idea that there was an entire cult of Slaanesh under this very street, etc. and rolled really well to intimidate them into coming with me, after calling them soft and weak and threatening to get them reassigned to a "colder, harsher world where your faith in the Imperium could be truly displayed."

The Scum joins back up with me and the squad of locals, and we go down to the cultist's hideout once more. They had a vanguard waiting for us, as I figured they would, and managed to take out all but one of the police before getting wiped out themselves. My partner and I collect upgrades from the fallen cops, not before waving my Arbitrator ID at the remaining cop who was protesting our blatant looting of dead people. We continue raiding the place, and come across a closet with some strange moaning emanating from it. "Whatever's going on in there is clearly heresy!" I state, so we shoot out the nearby lights with silenced pistols, and knock on the door to wait in the shadows. A nearly naked man opens the door, covered in various bodily fluids, and says "Is that you, Slaanesh? Have you come for me, I have come for you!" the Scum and I look at each other disgustedly and open fire, gunning him down with extreme prejudice. We all had a good laugh about that at the table, and the DM said "I don't know why, but that's all I could come up with at the moment."

Continuing on, we come to a door that is carved with VERY heretical engravings, and looking through the keyhole, we see a VERY heretical scene involving a bunch of people doing VERY heretical things. The Scum has the best idea ever, and I should take note right now that this is the sort of player who saves drat near everything he can. We've acquired some cultist robes/rags, some alcohol in a glass bottle, and various other things, but the point is, through the magic of fastidious inventory bookkeeping, we made a combination frag grenade/molotov cocktail out of the alcohol, some pellets out of one of our shotgun shells, and a ripped off piece of cloth stuck in the bottle. I breach the door and the Scum runs in and yells "Where's the heresy!?" and hucks the thing into the middle of this orgy, killing a few people and lighting even more on fire. We clean up after killing the rogue Psyker, and loot a bunch of heretical sacrificial daggers off the dead people. They all have symbols of Slaanesh on them, and the Scum decides to hang onto them.

After another night of rest, the Scum pipes up, "So, want to see if we can root out more heresy and corruption? Let's go try to sell these daggers and arrest whoever tries to buy them!" I am all in for this plan, even though I know drat well the woman doesn't give a rat's rear end about the Inquisition (it should be noted that her service was not entirely voluntary, and she was wearing a bomb collar, which I had the activator for) We commandeer a car in the name of the God-Emperor of Mankind, which is the nicest way possible of saying we carjacked someone at gunpoint and then demanded they not tell anyone, Inquisition business you see. We drive to the next town, and after a few hours of not much success, the Scum actually gets a lead to another cult, just barely starting to form, this one a cult of Nurgle.

The DM was looking rather pleased with himself for managing not to let us arrest someone and confiscate all their poo poo for no reason, but we had not yet begun to be corrupt assholes. We go over to the apartment building, said to be a place where some shady people were hanging out doing culty things. There are two men on the stoop of this place, and I attempt to ignore them and barge in, but they stop me. I start flashing the badge and demanding to be allowed inside, and they're being jerks about it, and one of them starts calling me a dirty pig and using a bunch of racial slurs. At this point I stated, loudly and with exaggerated pronunciation, "You wouldn't be impeding an Inquisition investigation would? It sure would be bad for you if you were obstructing justice!" I then proceed to whip out my shotgun and blast him directly in the chest. The Scum got my hint and already had her knife at the other guy's throat by the time the body hits the ground. I cover the still alive man with my gun and ask the Scum "Ms. Solaris, do you still have those daggers?" "Uh, yeah" "Good. Plant one on the dead guy."

We then took the guy out for a spin in our stolen car, conducting an orderly interrogation that was perfectly within the stated regulations expected of any law enforcement and definitely did not violate anyone's human rights, and once the man graciously volunteered some information, we called in a bomb threat on the building so the local cops would again show up to act as cannon fodder for us. So that was our first Dark Heresy session! We are probably doing it all wrong and violating many sacred tenets of Warhammer lore, but it was a lot of fun regardless.

Nope you're doing it right. You've even got the using the locals as summon-able meat shields down pat.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Nucular Carmul posted:

You are a beautiful person, and this is exactly what Dark Heresy is supposed to be. Good on you, your fellow player, and the GM.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Preechr posted:

... Did you just run a session of The Shield: 40k? Because that's awesome.

The Strike Team would be an amazing inquisitor's band.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Had another session of Age of Worms last night. We picked up just having killed/chased off three harpies, who alerted the lizardfolk's caverns we had snuck into. We created a choke point at the entryway and basically just killed everything that came charging into the room until their shaman asked if we would be willing to talk instead of continuing our killing spree. We spoke since that was our first plan (the ones we had met first weren't so nice). Found out that the tribe was actually being manipulated by a black dragon, and that their king and his faithful would fight just to kill some outsiders, despite us having a common goal (preventing the apocalypse).

A little backstory about a couple of us: my character is a monk (with a boatload of alt class features). He got lost in the swamp while adventuring with his parents, and rescued a black wyrmling getting attacked by some monstrous spiders. Since he had proved his worth to them rather than running away or killing the lot, she adopted him and taught him some basic mystical effects (thus he has the draconic fist and soulwarp strike ACFs). Another PC is a ghost who was killed by a dragon along with the rest of his party and now he walks around trying to find the unfinished business that keeps him around.

So we go down to the lizardfolk's egg room and find the king and his two aides ready to fight. We also find a black dragon egg amongst the others. The party warmage fires off a lightning bolt to fry them all and pops some eggs in the process despite us wanting to save the drat eggs because we're on the shaman's side and he's on ours. This pops several eggs including the dragon egg, which instead of having a baby dragon, is full of worms - spawn of kyuss worms. This changes everyone's priorities to "save the eggs, kill the worms and spawnlings" and combat basically ends here... until the dragon that has been manipulating them shows up. And two of us know her.

Turns out, the dragon that controls the majority of this tribe, the dragon that killed the ghost PC, and my character's adoptive aunt are one and the same! She also never approved of her sister adopting a human, so there's no love lost there. She begins trying to bring a cavern down on us from outside, as she is too big to enter. The ghost tells us to run, he'll hold her off; he can survive because he's a ghost, and we need to get the eggs out of there. He goes ethereal and does his usual trick of firing a ton of conjured glaives at her which does a substantial amount of damage. She responds with claws, nearly killing him. He then possesses a torc she's wearing that lets her summon and drink potions and tries to curse her. She drinks a potion and then takes it off to force him out, which he does and attacks again, dropping her to nearly half hp. She responds with her breath weapon, which is now a force effect because of said potion. The ghost is unmade, but we escaped with the eggs and a grudgingly grateful lizard king. And now my character has an aunt he is so disgusted with that he's probably going to hunt her down at his earliest ability.

Out of character we knew that the ghost's player was swapping characters because being able to go ethereal at will, make something like 9 attacks for 1d10+10 each with TK, and be basically invincible was (a) not very fun or interesting and (b) making it really hard for the DM to make any encounter an actual threat. So the ghost made the heroic sacrifice and now hopefully the party will be slightly more balanced.

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo
Séan and Risk Legacy,

Two summers ago we all (excluding Jeff) went on down to Alberta to do our trades courses for the military, this was before Dark Heresy and it was still in the planning phase at the time, but this story is about the second half of the summer after our three days of leave in Edmonton, this story part is mainly to give Séan some depth, in his three days off he had bought, a laptop, a bunch of clothes, something for his long distance girlfriend, a sword, dubbed Satan's Sword, and Risk Legacy.

Now when we got back and had time we would play risk, now being the mature group of people we were we took it upon ourselves to give the cities on the board dignified names, such as robot tentacle rape Japan, bonerland Argentina, and a specific racist slang south Africa, mainly because he told us he was fine with them.

He played with house rules, well only two, one was you could retreat your units, and second was NOBODY PLAYS IMPERIAL BALKANIA BUT SEAN. So god help myles for wanting to play it when Séan picked up a different faction.

In the end Andrew basically won the world with 5 written victories, I got two myles got one and with the other guys that played and won Séan won only once.
For those of you that don't know, you build the world and the winner places most of the major changes and after fifteen victories the world cannot be changed further. I feel though that he gimped the other factions by giving them the more situational or random abilities ( rolling triples and the like. )

He also tried to cheat hard during a game of death angel but that was stopped quickly.

Rahns fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 7, 2013

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
So, I just ran a giant Dark Souls reference encounter for my DnD party because they practically begged me to. It was my best session yet!
My party is:
Alain the Wizard and former Flaming Fist officer in Baldur's Gate
Lea the Lycanthrope Preist of Selune on a mission to get other Lycans to worship Selune.
Terak the half-orc theif trying to turn a new leaf.
Stonk the Orc Brawler mercenary.

My party was on the way to "meet" someone they suspected of being involved in a conclave of druid eco-terrorists in Baldur's Gate and Amn when someone Alain knew from his time in the Flaming Fist, Diego, stops them infront of a church to the Raven Queen. Turns out he needs some people that don't wear badges and he trusts to go in and disarm a hostage situation in the church.

For pay of course. :v:

Terak, being a rouge, procedes to sneak in the side, kill one of the "bandits" and take his place, kill a gensai who was beating the piss out of one of the priests, and seprate the big group of them that was congregating in the center of the church letting the rest of the party go in and mop them up one by one. Before this point, Terak's player was not having a good time with his character. He was rolling low and poo poo and getting frustrated. He didn't complain any more after I let him dismantle an entire encounter alone. :buddy:

Not being done though, a group of skeletons being animated by some plant thing bust out from the catacombs under the church. Diego, having just rushed in, shouts at the party the words "Go Down. Solve this. More Pay." before trying to organize his beat cops.

The party cautiously advances into the catacombs with Alain's light spell, finds a secret passage that I was going to let them use to get to the final encounter easier and then scare the piss out of them selves when Terak rolls a whopping 26 on his preception roll and I tell him that the passage is a little crumbly. So they head away through the catacombs proper into a massive room with square pillars full of alcoves that hold skeletons with more skeletons piled high on the walls. as the explore the room they split up and I drop what i was originally going to drop on them: a small group of skeleton minions and a pair of casters in the dark. Wouldnt have been much of a fight, just a little speed bump on the way to the main encounter. Then they started talking about dark souls and Stonk's player says, I quote, "Welcome to the Tomb of the Giants." Everyone starts laughing and encourage me to run a Dark Souls champaign. (we will, I just need to find the right system thats hella lethal)

So, using the fact that they weren't able to see everything I put down, (it's pitch black, the room is huge and full of obstructions and their torches aren't that powerful.) I more than triple the number of skeleton minions, remove one of the casters and make him a 12 foot tall mass of vines and dead things. He then plays a game of cat and mouse with the players in the massive 200x100 foot system of catacombs they were in using the pillars, the darkness and the ability to raise more skeletons (from a pool of 34 tokens total) to keep just out of reach until they corner him by the exit to the room. Up until this point, Alain was MVP permanently killing over half the tokens using a well placed color spray to nuke 9 of them and then freezing solid a number of others with Freezing Burst and Ray of Frost.

Finaly, after an hour of them being at the brink of being over run by skeletons they out pace the rate at which Nito (they nicknamed him Nito) could replace them and cornered him by a sealed door. Nito then proceeds to chuck a full skeleton at Stonk and punt Terak away.

When Stonk finaly gets in melee range of the massive 12" Nito, he grapples it. Not only does he grapple it, but he then drags the drat thing 10 loving squares and deals 34 damage to it. My party then, once they have a clear line at the Gravelord, ignore poor Alain, who was at 7 hit points and had a little minion buddy trying to give him a hug. (he freezes it too)

My melee members all unleash their dailies on it, getting it down to 93 health (out of 100). I use it's daily, a burst 2 +8 vs Relfex 2d8+8 damage AoE blast.

Stonk, Terak and Lea all take ~20 damage each and Terak and Lea are shoved back a square.

Stonk though? Stonk is attached to that drat thing. He just stands there and laughs the damage off with a second wind.

Lea heals everyone up, Terak tries to kill Nito and misses with his encounter. Alain's turn rolls around.

Ray of frost. 7 damage. Kills the boss dead with his worst attack. The party is out of Second winds, the free extra surge ability I gave them all through free magic gegaws and Lea's healing words. Most everyone is bloodied, if not near dead.

My party tells me "That was a blast," And my day was made. :3:

The Mighty Biscuit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 8, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, after tonight's session I'm definitely thinking the war-god cleric is playing Chaotic Stupid.

Fire obsession. Find a building? We should burn it. Find a journal? Burn it. Bridge over the ravine? Burn it. Luckily he didn't have any fire spells or flint+tinder, everyone but me had darkvision/low-light vision, and I was just casting Light onto my quarterstaff, unlit torches, etc.

Sass and argue with every. single. NPC. We're surrounded by elves with readied bows? Better shout nonsense at them until they shoot at your feet, then mock them for "missing". Then when the leader tries to talk to us, tell him he's boring.

Constant, poorly-worded in-character shouting about, well, loving anything that comes up. We find some slightly risque drawings of an elf in some abandoned guardhouse? BLASPHEMY, BURN THEM, YOU'LL ALL GO TO HELL.

It's pretty clear most of the group is sick of his antics. I'm hoping the DM will have a word with him, otherwise I guess we'll have to bring it up with the DM. Much as I'd love to hit him with magic missiles, flaming sphere, and maybe a summoned elemental, this thread has taught me that PKing for lovely playing isn't worth it.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
So I ran a session of Titan World tonight for my play group. Titan World is an Apocalypse World hack based off the show Attack on Titan and the hack was apparently made by goons. It's sword wielding spider-men fighting giant cannibals. Everyone began play as level 0 rookies who don't get a last name until they survive a mission. So we all agreed that everyone should bring four character concepts as there will be massacres. It was some of the most insane fun we've had playing a tabletop game. Highlights include:

Player A's character failing to get into position as his first move in the massive battle that began, causing him to land smack dab in front of the opening carnage as Titans stormed the gates. After watching dozens of people get eaten, he immediately went into a feared frenzy and ran for his life away from the party and battle. He then got jumped and eaten in a paralysis of fear. This all went down before anything actually happened in the battle and was the only thing this character ever got to do. Pretty much everyone found this hilarious as his character was a haughty aristocrat who spent the whole time before the attack during the intro talking poo poo.

Player B shooting the inside roof of a Titan's mouth while sliding back into its throat and slingshotting himself back out through the teeth without being bitten due to a max roll.

Player C blowing himself up with the gas canister that powered his Spider-Man gear in order to escape a titan's grip and surviving through freak luck.

Player A being the only one to reach the lever for closing the gates in order to stop Titans from flooding the city. He had four major injuries and had so many minuses from damage and overexertion that he had zero in every stat except agility. He broke his arm trying to force the jammed lever down and had to do it with his teeth.

And the total highlight was Player C earning the title of Rasputin. In order to escape a Titan's grasp without help, you roll 2d6 plus your rage stat. Rasputin had a -1 to his rage, yet escaped grips 5 times over the course of the night. He planned and led all the attacks personally and refused to stop and take a break. By the end of the night he was scaling the wall that protected the town in an effort to reach the level with nothing but his bare hands, so many injuries that all his stats were -1, no gas, all of his swords broken, and his Spider-Man gear broken. He Tarzan'd his way to the ground using the ripped out cords of his gear and managed to survive the closing of the gate by rolling underneath the falling metal and only once he was finally safe did he fail the discipline check not to panic. He had watched four other characters get eaten, been beaten beyond an inch of his life, slid down the throat of a giant monster and had his hand ripped off and destroyed every last piece of equipment he had, but utterly refused to die. He then sacrificed his life to save Player B's second character from the last surviving Titan.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Any hack that can give you moments that would fit well into the show / comic like that sounds worthy to me. Great job. Both for the goons who designed it and for you running it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

As the creator of Titan World, I am overjoyed to see people not only playing it, but having the time of their life with it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EDIT: and Prof beats me to it.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The session was originally planned to be a one time thing, but the players have flat out demanded a full campaign. Thanks for making this system, it redefines :black101:.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Chickenfrogman posted:

The session was originally planned to be a one time thing, but the players have flat out demanded a full campaign. Thanks for making this system, it redefines :black101:.

Awesome! It seems like every session of Titan World has been a hit so far. I hope to hear more about it in the future.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Needs more catpiss.

I started gaming sometime around 12-13 years old, after a friend went to a gaming club's open day and got drawn into 2e for ~12 months just before 3rd ed was launched. After his game wrapped up (he came into it towards the end as a replacement player), he invited myself and some other like-minded friends to the next open day, and we managed to wangle ourselves a few spots on some various 3e games, with some much older players (25-40).

It actually worked out quite well for most of it - they were down-to-earth guys without the sexist grognard poo poo that tends to infect some players, and we had a great time rolling with in-game jokes and crazy stunts.

However, there was one guy that put a few of our teeth on edge every time we played, who I'll refer to as Lizardman. Lizardman had a thing for begging DMs to let him use player races from the plethora of available OGL content produced for 3rd ed, his most often request being a 4 armed lizardman he found in some strange book that we were never really made privy to. He just about reach climax when someone announced they were going to run a 3rd Ed conversion of Dark Sun and he had the opportunity to play a Thri-Kreen legitimately - that game is a perfect example of an evil party imploding*, and has a whole lot of Good, Bad and Catpiss situations on it's own.

So despite the fact 4 armed lizardmen are generally monstrous and unaccepted in any civil part of the world, he sometimes got to use the killing machines. He'd rail against the GM's portrayal of townspeople fleeing in terror or attempting to send him away by force, even after we tried to convince him if he wanted to play the race, he needed to take the good with the bad, even going so far as to have a storm-out tanty or two.

I think the real highlight of the issue was the fact that even though Lizardman had built a walking weapon to the exclusion of any roleplaying abilities, he never sent it in to combat, instead picking foes off from the side, running away, or pestering the cleric for heals when he had taken a slight scratch, and generally we devised parties and class choices taking into account he would effectively be useless.

The only reason nothing was really said was that he provided a lift for the guy who used to GM most often, and excluding him may well exclude the GM from getting a ride.

Funny how writing that out just makes me sound petty, but remembering back on it, it really ground a lot of our gears when we didn't have the whole party working as a team to achieve our goals.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorProf posted:

As the creator of Titan World, I am overjoyed to see people not only playing it, but having the time of their life with it.

Where can I find this thing? I love Titans and the attacking thereof, and after reading that example holy God do I want to run this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Night10194 posted:

Where can I find this thing? I love Titans and the attacking thereof, and after reading that example holy God do I want to run this.

Right here.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

From a quick read through this looks far more interesting than the base system. Good job man. drat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually Apocworld owns always be playing *world games.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Mr. Maltose posted:

Actually Apocworld owns always be playing *world games.

Why would I play a game where I'm constantly being attacked by bears :mad:

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Would trying to LARP Paranoia be a great idea or a terrible one? I just keep thinking it would be hilariously slapstick

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Rasamune posted:

Why would I play a game where I'm constantly being attacked by bears :mad:
So that you can be self satisfied about the amazing piece of high art you made and feel smugly superior to those brain damaged ROLLplayers. Do you think that people play storygames for fun or something?

On topic: That Attack on Titan session sounds like it turned out great, and the hack looks really cool; I might try running something with it sometime. The mechanics seem like they successfully recreated the sort of thing you might actually see in the source material, so good job, ProfessorProf.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

crowtribe posted:

I think the real highlight of the issue was the fact that even though Lizardman had built a walking weapon to the exclusion of any roleplaying abilities, he never sent it in to combat, instead picking foes off from the side, running away, or pestering the cleric for heals when he had taken a slight scratch, and generally we devised parties and class choices taking into account he would effectively be useless.

Liz probably figured that a GM who was mean enough to 'prejudice' peasants against his knockoff Barsoomian death machine would unfairly make his character a priority target after it reduced an enemy or two to goo in the course of a single round, and not allow him to make a new one when it died. And... yeah. It was probably a kink thing.

mmj posted:

Would trying to LARP Paranoia be a great idea or a terrible one? I just keep thinking it would be hilariously slapstick

I once read about a Paranoia LARP that was ran at a con. The chronicler was having the time of his life, but he was basically trolling the fiftyish people there who had no idea how to play Paranoia, or what it was about, by killing himself in ways that annihilated entire swathes of them while they milled about in confusion. I'd like to think that an intentionally disorganized group could do better.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

mmj posted:

Make sure your signnup forms are black-on-red. Or don't, and then have Friend Computer execute them all at the start of the game. Sets the tone pretty well.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 12, 2013

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

mmj posted:

An old coworker of mine said this was done at the (super nerdy) boarding school he went to. One kid kinda went off the deep end and locked himself in his room and wouldn't come out until the game was over.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

GoldenBee just DMed a game of Monster Hearts for PublicOpinion, HelmetTenWarehouse, and me that started with a slow high school burn between two weirdos and a punk babe and ended with a flaming mansion showdown amongst a demon possessed murderer, a devoted Innsmouth servant, and a bisexual werespider. The details are fuzzy at this point but I'm 100% sure that it was an awesome game that I would love to play again. Monster Hearts flows really well as a *World storygame and all of the tropes should be pretty familiar to most people of our cohort. Very cool.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I played Solomon, using the Serpentine playbook. In retrospect he slid from awkward dork to sociopath really drat fast, but the turning point was that after siding with some bullies to get them to like me I betrayed them in front of the entire school and had even more people like me, so I figured that with that first taste of glory Solomon might as well go all out on the betrayal train to 'human sacrifice to your clan's grim patriach' town. Can't afford to drag things out in a one-shot anyway!

Here's sketches I did of Solomon and the family head, The Captain.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The players drive the action in Monsterhearts, and this game was no exception.

I started the game in Mr. Harper's Science Class and the Werespider immediately shut down the teacher (shooting the chalk out of his hand, leaving him flustered.) He gave out the assignment: "Perform a psychological profile of someone else" and that sent the games events out of control.

From that:
--The Werespider, Pepper, did Ty's profile as she stared him down.
--K-Dawg hit on Solomon, who was distracted from Fionna (who he would try to sacrifice to appease his horrid ancient family).

The teacher would take the Infernal Baron's cell phone (which Pepper would later recover, sending lots of fake texts and getting Baron a posse. Baron would sacrifice much of this posse to the Dark Power with an intentional car crash).

Pepper turned in a psychological profile of Ty that "deduced" that he came from an abusive home.

Mr. Harper was required by law to investigate this and, finding the results negative (and not liking Pepper for making him feel Old), ended up trying to get her arrested. She would later roll a 13 to escape confinement, wrecking a cop car and leaving two officers stranded in the woods.

Pepper had a lot of opportunities to be evil and mostly didn't take them. (For example, she failed a Hold Steady roll with a girl who had taken her to a wooded area and ended up with a girlfriend instead of a snack). I think the mix of danger and friendships creates villains and anti-heroes, which makes sense, since there's no default moves for stopping violence or being above it all.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 12, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mmj posted:

Just remember to have a big bowl of skittles as snacks!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Piell posted:

Just remember to have a big bowl of skittles as snacks!

Could the players safely eat the red ones, or does the white S stamped on 'em qualify them as UV?

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Keiya posted:

Could the players safely eat the red ones, or does the white S stamped on 'em qualify them as UV?

if they can find a way to touch only them it sounds legal

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

They're digesting letters above their clearance level. Forcibly remove the letters from their system, and then execute them as traitors.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're forbidden to use that letter from then on until they reach the appropriate clearance. Naturally it is mandatory to hand in a written field report free of errors after the mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So I went out and ran a one-shot of TitanWorld to see how it worked, after downloading the rules and getting excited, and my PCs were lucky as hell. We decided, being fans of the show, that we'd run a short story about some of the city guard when the gate was first breached, trying to evacuate a small foresting village ahead of the advancing Titans and get them in to the inner wall and escape the becoming-infested farmlands and countryside.

PC A was a playful guy who loved dicking around with his maneuver gear, high agility and bad Execution, and was designated diastraction.

PC B was a driven washout who couldn't make it into the Survey Corps and had a huge Rage stat, hating the Titans.

PC C was a veteran Garrison cop and expert fighter who'd broken up a few bandit groups and been in a few streetfights before, focusing on Execution.

The plot was simple, they'd run into people fleeing the Titans on patrol, fight a running Aberrrant chasing the refugees, then go to try to buy time for the villagers and refugees to escape, trying to distract and fight a group of six normal Titans of various sizes among the huge trees of the forest. I've never run a 'World game before, so we were kind of fast and loose with the rules, the cop blowing out eyes with his rifle as the crazy rage-girl went for necks and the hotshot flew around distracting Titans, getting them to slam into trees going after him and keeping them from ganging up. Slowly, with many Defy Death rolls made, including someone headbutting their way free of a small Titan's grab and several instances of slicing off fingers, the rage-girl ended up in a Titan's mouth only to have the hotshot fly past, pull her out, slash off the thing's tongue in the process, and the cop, who now had several broken ribs and a concussion, slash by and hack out the neck. Bloody, battered, low on blades, with the cop's rifle exploded from a misfire and all of them wounded, they finally stood among six steaming Titan skeletons, only to hear more thundering footsteps growing closer from the distance. They still had to run, but they'd bought enough time and managed to get the villagers and themselves to safety, coming out of it hosed up and barely alive after a half dozen or more close calls.

What I'm trying to say is gently caress yes Titanworld. I don't know how right or wrong I was running the rules but it was loving intense, and that's what I ask of my Titans and the attacks launched upon them.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

The best game.

Titan World is my first time running a *World game too, but I've been finding it boils down to three rules.

Is it :black101:? Run with it.
Will it crush your players souls into the dirt? Do it.
Will it drag back out your players will to claw kicking and screaming across the finish line? Do it.

Bonus points if a player breaks out into primal shrieks of fury as he rolls dice.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Golden Bee posted:

The players drive the action in Monsterhearts, and this game was no exception.

These Monsterhearts anecdotes sound so much like the fun I've had in Smallville games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Basically, Cortex+:Smallville::Powered By Apocalypse:Monster Hearts.