Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

lohli posted:

Well you've sort of jumped ahead of what I suppose was the expected sequence, in going cobalt>ectoplasm, though I'm honestly surprised you were able to last long enough in there to farm that much.

I think the problem is that bosses(especially the Golem) are too weak, and would probably benefit from more debuff abilities alongside some AI tweaks, like giving a boss a silence ability and the capability to detect which players are at least using magic and maybe even take that a step further to try to use poo poo on players who are buffing/healing other players. Or the ability to nullify set bonuses for a limited time or something.

Rather than a whole bunch of weird counterintuitive poo poo that only applies to bosses I'd rather they just nerf the spectre armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Magic damage heals all of the new bosses. Done deal, call it a day.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I don't see how it's weird or counterintuitive to give the bosses some interesting ways to deal with players, if the bosses aren't made more mechanically interesting then every fight is doomed to be a tank-and-spank or just trying to kite stuff endlessly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Redigit specifically took out the ability to spam chug healing potions and mushrooms infinitely because it made the game totally impossible to balance; either enemies did low damage and were totally trivial for anyone with any healing items or enemies did ludicrous damage that necessitated farming a billion healing items before you did anything. A few exploits like the Hellstone trick aside, the game was in a pretty good place with healing being limited. Now we have an infinite no-cooldown-or-restriction healing source again, which is again impossible to balance. Either you balance bosses around being able to outdamage spectre armor/vampire knives healing and thus gently caress over anyone not abusing it or you balance bosses around not having a totally infinite fountain of healing in which case spectre armor/vampire knives is invincible. There's a really easy way to fix this and it's not to try and code complex AI subroutines in a game where AI consists of "fly/run at player" for 95% of enemy types.

Magic in general in 1.2 is pretty unbelievably broken. Spectre Armor is far and away the easiest endgame set to get and is also the most powerful by a landslide. Turtle and Shroomite Armor are both great but they require a shitload of ore farming and drop/mushroom farming to put together, while Spectre Armor requires you to take a Golden Shower to the dungeon for 20-30 minutes, which incidentally also provides you with something like half a dozen incredible weapons in the process.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

More unique tactics used by bosses would be neat, but at this point it would be hard to imagine what could exactly be done considering that there's only so much players can use against them. If bosses can disable buffs and heal from certain types of damage occasionally and whatever the hell along with making GBS threads out large amounts of damage and taking forever to kill, it'll just turn into a game of seeing how many players you can get to brute force the poo poo out of the boss so you can ignore the 'special' conditions. The game is fun, but it's pretty simple at heart. The Spectre armor seems like something that was cool in concept but when released to the public quickly turned into an easy way to chump out basically everything, because we all know how people are and how well they can figure this poo poo out. The Spectre armor being relatively easy to make compared to other stuff doesn't help matters, either. (I say most of this because I highly doubt Redigit will go back and add extra crap to the bosses in the 1.2.1 update.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Vampire Knives healing isn't so much of an issue if their damage is nerfed (considering how goddamn hard it is to farm a Crimson Key) but the only way I can see to fix the Spectral Armor issues is to remove the healing set bonus altogether. Even if you ignore the holy trifecta of Magnet Sphere/Inferno Fork/Golden Shower, there's still Cursed Flames and Crystal Shards to contend with there as a source of rapid-fire health.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Apply an internal cooldown for an item-based healing source.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
The Diamond Scepter is kind of broken. It obsoletes everything up to hard mode and it's not hard to make at all. The gold one is even easier to make and almost as good. It should probably require some sort of dungeon drop to build it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They only spawn in the buildings, which only spawn in the middle...I want to say third of Hell. They're pretty rare so you won't find many.

This isn't entirely true. I can't verify whether this has changed in 1.2, but in 1.1 they could occasionally spawn on ash blocks closer to the surface of hell. Some spelunker potions and jumping along your hellway (hopefully with wings) is a good way to discover if this has happened with any chests.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well here is a dumb thing I am doing. I mined myself into the hardmode underground crimson below a lava pool. I enclosed myself in wood along with a small wooden platform to get to drops. The crimson scepter, when cast at the wood ground, will deal damage below the wood. Pair this with the seeming inability of flying gross to fly through the wood at you, and the lava pool above you, stuff just dies for you to loot.

This is nice find since I accidentally lost my mythril pick and had to mine another ;/

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

This isn't entirely true. I can't verify whether this has changed in 1.2, but in 1.1 they could occasionally spawn on ash blocks closer to the surface of hell. Some spelunker potions and jumping along your hellway (hopefully with wings) is a good way to discover if this has happened with any chests.

I had a look at some of my stuff in TEdit and I have a shadow chest that is 700blocks/1400ft away from where the underworld buildings stop. It looks like shadowchests are probably rarer than they used to be overall as well.

PlotDevice posted:

The Diamond Scepter is kind of broken. It obsoletes everything up to hard mode and it's not hard to make at all. The gold one is even easier to make and almost as good. It should probably require some sort of dungeon drop to build it.

Rubies and Diamonds seem rare enough that the gem staves being that good is ok.

Edit:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They only spawn in the buildings, which only spawn in the middle...I want to say third of Hell. They're pretty rare so you won't find many.
The buildings seem to take up about half of hell, with the end quarters of the map not having any of those buildings.

lohli fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 7, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, this is awesome.

I just went to hell, right? You can go to hell in lots of games, that's not the awesome part.

No, the awesome part is, I went to hell, and stole the art off their walls.

This makes me irrationally happy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
My world finally got the steampunk merchant, so I set up a stargate to the floating island:

Afterwards I built a temple to activate the teleporter. New to mechanics, though - what are the best traps for murdering other players? The lava pit is too obvious.

One pressure plate closes the door and douses the torches, the other is hooked up to skeleton spawner on a 1s timer. The lever activates the teleporter on a 5s timer, but also shuts you in and drops the floor.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 7, 2013

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Meldonox posted:

I've been playing multi with my pals and when they're hard at work building their houses I walk in and piss my entire mana pool on the floor in front of them or on their beds or cookpots or (thanks to some fun buggy geometry) through the sloped roofs of their houses into their attics or living rooms.

It annoys and creeps the hell out of them that I stay dead silent on our running Skype call when I do it. :allears:

This sounds hilarious, how does it work? Is there actually piss in the game? We have a dedicated server running with my mates where we only play hardcore and since I keep dying, at some point I usually just start loving with their heads and it leads to some funny stuff. I've managed to trick one guy into following me all the way up into the sky where it stops scrolling and then made him fall by mining some dirt from where his hook was attached and he managed to miss his double jump too. Now I just want to piss in his house though.

Edit: I'm very much aware that I'm a total jerk.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 7, 2013

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I love the teleporters. Now, I can build both a Sky Fortress AND an Underground Bunker, and I don't need to worry about long walks, zombies or Ice Golems suddenly loving up my poo poo as I go between the two!

Speaking of sky castles, I am building one.

This is a screenshot from much earlier today, I recently made a lot of progress with an artificial snow biome and an artificial forest biome, as well as starting Hard Mode, getting the Pirate, and getting the Steampunker. I also decided to create a secondary character, hardcore, just to see if I can pull off surviving in a Hard Mode world with nothing but 300 HP, two WIP specialized shelters, a bunch of guns, and lots of bullets. So far with that character, I narrowly survived my first Ice Golem by holy gently caress run away.

I also got a Clentaminator and am working on Hallowing the poo poo out of the ground level. Hallowing stuff is so much easier when instead of planting trees or throwing jars, you just buy a huge-rear end raycannon and 900 bottles of blue stuff and go to town. :cool:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I have discovered the best buff in a video game.

It is the Baby Dinosaur buff. The effect of the Baby Dinosaur buff is that I have a Baby Dinosaur. The Baby Dinosaur has his own personal Baby Pterodactyl for flying. Truly a very powerful buff.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Read posted:

Demon Scythe will wreck the WoF.

Just tunneled down to Hell, killed two things and got that as a drop. I haven't even beaten the Cthulhu eye yet, I feel like such a badass all of a sudden.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

LAY-ZX posted:

It is the Baby Dinosaur buff. The effect of the Baby Dinosaur buff is that I have a Baby Dinosaur. The Baby Dinosaur has his own personal Baby Pterodactyl for flying. Truly a very powerful buff.

Will it stack with the Pet Bunny buff?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PlotDevice posted:

I've had a tough time finding diamonds, but usually find enough rubies by the time I have a silver/tungsten armor set. It really is good, It's very mana efficient compared to everything else. I'm pretty confident a mythical ruby staff could beat WoF. After that though I'd want at least a decent reforged demon scythe.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Is it just me or were ranged builds kinda shafted in this update? Craftable Jester Arrows were cool, and the shotbow is pretty nice, but my buddy playing a mage spent 20 minutes in the hardmode dungeon and left with six different ways to end the world, and even melee seems to have a wide selection of new sharp sticks to use as well as the crazy turtle armor. Did ranged builds even get a new armor set?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They get Shroomite armor which gives you nuclear crits.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ah, alright. Haven't bought the Autohammer yet because of its price tag, so I hadn't gotten to look at the shroomite stuff.

e: And to be fair, it's called shroomite and is sold to me by a mushroom man calling himself a loving truffle, so I kinda just assumed it would just be a bunch of gimmicky bullshit

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 7, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I've noticed that the temple floors are spaced so that on a high enough resolution, you can see lizard dudes spawning in on the next floor down. Going on a marathon circuit through the temple to get power cells was mind numbing, to say the least.

But, after nearly a dozen heat rays and other assorted drops, I finally got a Picksaw, allowing me to dig a hole down to the next floor and do this:

E I E I O

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

President Ark posted:

Rather than a whole bunch of weird counterintuitive poo poo that only applies to bosses I'd rather they just nerf the spectre armor.

The issue is that if you nerf the spectre armor, mages will have literally no ability to solo bosses; they have no defense, low-ish damage, and need an extra accessory slot for an accessory that does nothing but give them mana. What I'd do is cut the invincibility period on hit universally so that mages have to actually make an effort to dodge poo poo and can't just sit there and heal through the boss' damage.

LAY-ZX posted:

Is it just me or were ranged builds kinda shafted in this update? Craftable Jester Arrows were cool, and the shotbow is pretty nice, but my buddy playing a mage spent 20 minutes in the hardmode dungeon and left with six different ways to end the world, and even melee seems to have a wide selection of new sharp sticks to use as well as the crazy turtle armor. Did ranged builds even get a new armor set?

They get the highest DPS in the game... eventually. You'll need the shroomite set and something like the Stynger or the Sniper Rifle.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heavy neutrino posted:

What I'd do is cut the invincibility period on hit universally so that mages have to actually make an effort to dodge poo poo and can't just sit there and heal through the boss' damage.

Counterpoint: Cross Necklace exists, as do the recipes that use it.

On the other hand, making the Spectre Set have piss-poor defense is a possible compromise. It's still numerically better in Defense than Hallowed mage gear, if only by a single point. Dropping its defense down to the level of Cobalt or even Meteor armor would have a much more noticable effect on the ability to tank, and might make avoiding hits still a necessary measure.

This leaves the problem that Turtle Armor + Vampire Knives still exist, but it's possible that nerfing the damage on the knives will make up the difference.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 7, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, making the Spectre Set have piss-poor defense is a possible compromise. It's still numerically better in Defense than Hallowed mage gear, if only by a single point. Dropping its defense down to the level of Cobalt or even Meteor armor would have a much more noticable effect on the ability to tank, and might make avoiding hits still a necessary measure.

I don't think defense matters enough at low values to make a big difference. If you were to drop it to the level of Cobalt, you'd only take on average 8 more damage per hit which isn't much. It would have to be either a nerf to the lifesteal percentage or to the invincibility period. Magnet Sphere also definitely needs a damage nerf.

The lifesteal percentage nerf might actually be the best idea; try seeing and dodging enemy projectiles while you have Magnet Sphere and Rainbow Gun out and are blasting Shadowbeam.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy neutrino posted:

They get the highest DPS in the game... eventually. You'll need the shroomite set and something like the Stynger or the Sniper Rifle.

Cholorophyte bow, magic quiver from the skeleton archers, and an archery potion. I wish there were more bows with unique attributes, it feels like all the creativity is going to guns.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Devour or Fire posted:

Cholorophyte bow, magic quiver from the skeleton archers, and an archery potion. I wish there were more bows with unique attributes, it feels like all the creativity is going to guns.

I thought guns were bows except for the ammo they used. :psyduck: You mean the Archery potion really is useless for 90% of the ranged builds in the game?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

LAY-ZX posted:

You have no idea how long I've spent trying to get this. I am so jealous.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Well last night I killed the Wall of Flesh and progressed into Hard Mode for the first time ever. Phoenix Blaster and a long runway made short work of the Wall. Smashed all but one of my demon altars, the closest one to my house, to release minerals into the world.

The new enemies are hurtful, but I had made a surface mushroom farm and got the Truffle guy. Mine's called Shiitake. Bought his spear, which is really neat. The glowing trail of mushrooms it leaves gives it a ton of range, and it pierces walls, plus being long enough to probe for new caverns near the one I'm in.

I found my flying islands, and killed the Wyvern a few times to make a set of Wings. One of the islands is just offscreen from my house, and a lot higher, so I gravity-potioned up there and dropped a long, long rope from the edge to the surface.

So far I've gotten enough Palladium to make a pick and armor set, and I'm working towards getting enough for a Mythril set. I'm guessing these two are roughly equivalent to copper and iron in terms of rank. The ores seem to be very sparse, though. Is there any trick to finding more? So far I've just been exploring the underground Hallow and collecting souls of light and crystals with a bunch of potions of spelunking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just realized you can paint chests (and any other furniture, really) any colour you want with the paintbrush. :aaa:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

The issue is that if you nerf the spectre armor, mages will have literally no ability to solo bosses; they have no defense, low-ish damage, and need an extra accessory slot for an accessory that does nothing but give them mana. What I'd do is cut the invincibility period on hit universally so that mages have to actually make an effort to dodge poo poo and can't just sit there and heal through the boss' damage.

"literally no ability to solo bosses" is an interesting interpretation. They have a whopping ten less defense than Shroomite users(who have to stand still for 2 seconds and stay still to utilize their set bonus) and both of them are heavily reliant on dodging hardmode bosses to begin with. Magic being low-ish damage is just wrong; Golden Shower does a tremendous amount of damage to multi-part enemies like the Destroyer and the defense stripping allows you to deal monstrous damage with spells like Inferno Fork, Magnet Sphere, and even the old Crystal Storm and Magic Harp. Melee has nothing to compare until Death Sickle/Terra Blade. Ranged can definitely do more damage in the long run because they have their own source of damage stripping and potential nuclear shroomite crits, but to say magic is low damage is baffling.

I'd like to see Spectre get its bonus changed to emphasize the glass cannon huge versatility of mages. If it were possible to code, something like a stacking damage buff for each different spell you've used in the last 10 seconds or so would be really cool.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Geomancing posted:

So far I've gotten enough Palladium to make a pick and armor set, and I'm working towards getting enough for a Mythril set. I'm guessing these two are roughly equivalent to copper and iron in terms of rank. The ores seem to be very sparse, though. Is there any trick to finding more? So far I've just been exploring the underground Hallow and collecting souls of light and crystals with a bunch of potions of spelunking.

The deeper you are, the more of the more valuable ores there are. This is still true in a hardmode world, so go down to hell and then explore the ceiling and upwards with those spelunker pots, you should find more of mythril/orchalicum and adamantium/titanium that way.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'd like to see Spectre get its bonus changed to emphasize the glass cannon huge versatility of mages. If it were possible to code, something like a stacking damage buff for each different spell you've used in the last 10 seconds or so would be really cool.

That would be really cool. I cycle through spells pretty often, so that would get a lot of use for me. Ten seconds seems kind of short, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LAY-ZX posted:

Looking at this again: What's that crystal? Is it another light source like the fairy/orb/wisp?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

KataraniSword posted:

Looking at this again: What's that crystal? Is it another light source like the fairy/orb/wisp?

It's the set bonus for the Chlorophyte armor

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Kanos posted:

"literally no ability to solo bosses" is an interesting interpretation.

You're wrong about a couple things; first off the Spectre Armor has 19 less defense than Shroomite, not 10. The Destroyer is the easier boss by far and not a metric for anything (in my view, the Twins or maybe Plantera is the hardest boss in the game) and although I was wrong about low-ish damage (it's much lower than ranged builds, but certainly not bad), the point is that without the lifesteal, mage builds generally can't outlast bosses. Maybe my eyes are just bad but I can't dodge projectiles when there's a Magnet Sphere, a Rainbow Gun, a Hydra and whatever else out on the field since I can't even see them.

Another thing that could be done to help with soloing endgame bosses is a modification to movement mechanics so that it's not an awkward pain in the rear end to move around. Increase the base movement speed and left/right acceleration, make upward flight faster.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

You're wrong about a couple things; first off the Spectre Armor has 19 less defense than Shroomite, not 10. The Destroyer is the easier boss by far and not a metric for anything (in my view, the Twins or maybe Plantera is the hardest boss in the game) and although I was wrong about low-ish damage (it's much lower than ranged builds, but certainly not bad), the point is that without the lifesteal, mage builds generally can't outlast bosses. Maybe my eyes are just bad but I can't dodge projectiles when there's a Magnet Sphere, a Rainbow Gun, a Hydra and whatever else out on the field since I can't even see them.

Another thing that could be done to help with soloing endgame bosses is a modification to movement mechanics so that it's not an awkward pain in the rear end to move around. Increase the base movement speed and left/right acceleration, make upward flight faster.

Ten defense or nineteen is not a huge difference because neither of them has any viable future when it comes to face tanking bosses. If you're trying to leverage the good part about Shroomite armor, the cloaking bonus, you're required to stand still for several seconds at a time which can be ridiculously dangerous solo(and if you're not then you might as well be wearing chlorophyte, which mages can do too). The durability difference is a complete wash.

I find movement now might as well be permanent free form flight; with a bundle of balloons, carpet, lightning boots, and higher tier wings, you can pretty much stay anywhere you like in the air for almost indefinite amounts of time once you get used to it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Heavy neutrino posted:

Upping the acceleration is the big thing as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I can beat plantera without moving or using potions and come out with more health that I started the fight on, but it would certainly have helped before I got my crimson key. Being able to get around the dungeon and stuff would be loads better if every little turn took less time. It's really frustrating not to be able to dodge or move out of a way of a trap because you're not at full speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If the Spectre Armour is so broken in its current form, do you guys think it would work well if its life-steal ability was changed to grant supercharged regeneration instead of immediate healing? You could have the regeneration buff scale up its power based on how much damage you've recently dealt, and decay over time whenever you're not murdering poo poo. It would take a short time to crank it up to maximum power so you'd have to fight really carefully at first, and you still wouldn't be invulnerable since massive spike damage would still kill the poo poo out of you if you tried to just sit there and facetank it; you'd be free to fight a bit more aggressively, but you'd want to try to minimize the damage you were taking so that the regeneration effect outpaced it. Also you would never ever want to not be shooting apocalyptic hate magic at everything in sight, which is pretty much the ideal state for mages I think.

e: the cool thing about that is that it would let you build the buff up even while not injured, so if you were really doing a lot of damage, you could benefit your whole team by piling up regeneration on them even if they weren't in immediate danger, giving them a bit of a buffer in case things suddenly went south.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 7, 2013

• Locked thread