Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Space Opera posted:

I just finished painting my first gunpla kit and I'm looking for some advice on paints. I used acrylic Testor on my kit and I had some issues with several of my paints being too watery.

It's possible you might have just overthinned your paint. While you were putting it on, did it bubble up? That's a sure sign that something's wrong.

quote:

Also, can someone recommend a durable top coat? I used two coats of an enamel matt spray on top of my acrylic but my paint was still scratching as I assembled the kit, even though I was trying to be careful.

Mr. Top Coat has never let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pledge future floor wax is the goto for many of us
spray it or brush it on. Its self leveling and you can add dullcoat to matte it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So here's a third party kit I just completed: Hobby Crazy's 1/35 scale Hi-Nu head:

http://imgur.com/zelWEXH,JzAlR8X,WdMmH4d,KSxc8m1,P5eIBNN

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Any mechanics on it, or is it just a bust?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Any mechanics on it, or is it just a bust?

It does have LEDs in the eyes and main cameras, but I hosed up the wires and ruined it. Hardly a loss for me considering I never use LEDs anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

But now you'll never be able to have the best reading light. Well whatever, nice job!

In other news the render for Sazabi vKa was released:

It's got two-toned colors just like the Nu vKa, but seemingly no invoke mode. Also ridiculous amounts of parts separation, which is why it's so cheap.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Nice combo with the red and classic Char pink. I won't be getting this right away since i've got two Proto Zeros on pre-order and enough backlog to last me til I go back to work, but if the model is as good as the render, then maybe I can finally get myself to buy a Zeon/Char mobile suit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

In other news the render for Sazabi vKa was released:

Still can't hold its gun, I see.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm torn on the Sazabi, from some angles it looks really cool and from others it just looks really fat. I think it's mostly how huge the flares and back skirt look, especially from the front.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

BlitzBlast posted:

It's possible you might have just overthinned your paint. While you were putting it on, did it bubble up? That's a sure sign that something's wrong.

Mr. Top Coat has never let me down.

I didn't thin my paint at all, and I don't remember seeing any bubbling. I'll keep that in mind though in if/when I start using thinner.

Thanks for all of the info and advice. I'll try using a primer on my next kit as well as Mr Top Coat, hopefully that will allow me to assemble the pieces without them scratching the paint.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Space Opera posted:

I didn't thin my paint at all

Yeah there's your problem.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I like almost everything about the nuSazabi except for the video-card-error shield. No idea what's going on there frankly.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I've got a few new kits coming in that I'm pretty excited about. I picked up the Brasta and SRX kits from Kotobukia and the RG Destiny. These are my first ones for Kotobukia, do they differ much from the Bandai stuff?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait wait wait. There's a not out of production SRX kit?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait wait wait. There's a not out of production SRX kit?

Yeah I got it on Amazon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dalong has finished his Strike Rouge + Phoenix pack, and god drat is it ugly. I suppose it's still better than just getting a Strike Rouge like the original MG, but ugh this probably should have stayed a web exclusive.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

do they differ much from the Bandai stuff?

I think somebody asked the same question two or three pages ago, check back.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The Ootori Pack makes me think of something that should be in Build Fighters as a goofy I.W.S.P mod, not retconned into SEED Destiny. I still maintain the opinion that this thing should have never left the drawing board as is, even if it was meant to be online exclusive.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I'm torn on the Sazabi, from some angles it looks really cool and from others it just looks really fat. I think it's mostly how huge the flares and back skirt look, especially from the front.

Man my problem with it is the opposite, they made the legs and front skirt just a little too small. They're supposed to Izubuchi out like bellbottoms, to keep the unit from looking too top-heavy.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I've been feeling really overburdened by my amount of hobbies lately and also have a lot changing in my life, so I'd like to offload as many of my High Grade kits as I can to reclaim some sanity and closet space. I wanted to offer them to you guys before I start throwing them up on ebay.

Here's a not so recent picture of my collection:

Not pictured are a 1/144 Kshatriya, a Gerbera Tetra, and a Messala. Can't have any of the p-shop stuff though. You can PM me if you have any interest, I don't want to clog up the thread more than this.

Edit: ECOAS Jegan, Loto, Stark Jegan, Jagd Doga, and Jesta Cannon are called for.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 7, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I don't have PMs, but I'd be interested in hearing how much you want for the Kshatriya, the Juaggu, the Stark Jegan, and/or the Jagd Doga (probably only one of those since money's a little tight right now). You can mail me at removed

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/10/mg-1100-sazabi-ver-ka-on-display-gbwc.html

Lookin' good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RG Strike Freedom, looking hideous with that gold colored plastic. Also, as everybody expected, like RG Destiny it has Full Burst effect parts sold separately.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

If my reactions to this kit swung any more wildly with each new reveal I'd be sporting some wicked-rear end whiplash right about now.

It looks like someone coated the thing in Spra-Mount and then sneezed into a box of pla chips. The Nu ver.Ka's styling was tacky enough but this takes it to a whole new level.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 7, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Up close and personal:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 7, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

My newest haul. :)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really, really hope you got those kits dirt-cheap.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
"Gunpla" and "cheap" don't go together well when you live in Newfoundland Canada. It cost me 26 dollars in shipping just to get them shipped to me from GG Infinite.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

So you got G-Unit, where is 50 Cent?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't see the middle one as anything but 'Gundam Lobster'.

VVVV Try living in the UK and having to pay 20% import VAT plus a handling fee, ended up having to pay an extra £15 on a package that cost £30. :suicide:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 8, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

"Gunpla" and "cheap" don't go together well when you live in Newfoundland Canada. It cost me 26 dollars in shipping just to get them shipped to me from GG Infinite.

I can relate my fellow Canadian gunpla enthusiast. :( :hf: :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't see the middle one as anything but 'Gundam Lobster'.

VVVV Try living in the UK and having to pay 20% import VAT plus a handling fee, ended up having to pay an extra £15 on a package that cost £30. :suicide:

Hahahahahaha. For once, just once, Aussies don't get the short end of the stick. There's a few local modelling supply stores where I live that stock gunpla kits, with HG's around the $20/$30 mark, RG's around the $35/40, and MG's around the $50 mark.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The lighting on those shots makes the Sazabi look bad. some of the more zoomed out ones look nice.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I can't tell if that Sazabi is leaning backwards slightly on purpose or if they're still having the problem with the waist joint that the prototype had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at those G-Units, I can't help but notice Gundam Grape and Gundam rear end. What are they from? A manga offshoot?

Red Bones posted:

I can't tell if that Sazabi is leaning backwards slightly on purpose or if they're still having the problem with the waist joint that the prototype had.

I'd say waist joint, otherwise they'd probably have posed it so as to hide the inner support peg.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Any reason why they did a reprint of these wacky G-Unit kits?
I saw them being advertised by GG and a Japanese dude was doing reviews of them recently.

quote:

...'where is 50 Cent?'...'Gundam Lobster'...'Gundam Grape and Gundam rear end'
S-stop ittt! Gundam is a very serious hobby!! You guys are meaaaan :cry:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Netherlands is the same, hence I never do EMS. SALL is only checked sporadically.

20 euro kit
6 euro shipping.
3.5 euro customs
19 euro customs handling fee

:suicide:

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hahahahahaha. For once, just once, Aussies don't get the short end of the stick. There's a few local modelling supply stores where I live that stock gunpla kits, with HG's around the $20/$30 mark, RG's around the $35/40, and MG's around the $50 mark.

Where is this magical place you speak of?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

Where is this magical place you speak of?

Victorian Hobby Center. I haven't used their online store to buy kits (I just go visit their retail store in Melbourne), but they have very knowledgeable and helpful staff in-store so I'd wager it's probably decent.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
drat, my place adds a good 10-15-20% to what I can get online. If I find a website that has a sale on quite often I can get 2 models (MG, mind) shipped for less than one in-store.

Its' website also is straight out of the early 2000s, at least in search capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My local Hobby Town USA that's 5 minutes away has half an isle set aside to Gundam.

• Locked thread