Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loomer posted:

Time for this thread to start watching Sleepy Hollow. It's gloriously over the top and takes the approach of throwing every supernatural thing in possible. It's like a cheesy hunter game.

Plus: Clancy Brown plays a dead sheriff who investigated all kinds of supernatural poo poo and left voice recordings. Guarantee he comes back as a ghost at some point.

I realized the sheriff was the Kurgan mere moments before the inevitable happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I've looked around a little but haven't seen a definite on this: does anyone know the release date for Demon?

Also, running my first Mage game tomorrow. Going to do some adaptation and potentially run something premade. If any of my players are reading this thread, no peeking.

I'm probably going to run Reign of the Exarchs adapted to be set in a medieval fantasy era.

Any suggestions for me?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Xir posted:

I've looked around a little but haven't seen a definite on this: does anyone know the release date for Demon?

Also, running my first Mage game tomorrow. Going to do some adaptation and potentially run something premade. If any of my players are reading this thread, no peeking.

I'm probably going to run Reign of the Exarchs adapted to be set in a medieval fantasy era.

Any suggestions for me?

The schedule says that Demon ought to be coming out this month, so I'd expect it near the end of November.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Hey guys. I'm about to revive my on again off again Hunter campaign. Now, before we were just playing it with myself as the GM and three other players, but since then, we've grown to about 4-6 players (depending on guests and whether or not some of the regulars can make it that day). So, I'm going to have the new guys make new characters, but what I want to know is, how much Practical Experience should I give them? For the record, the Hunter campaign started out as a mortal WoD campaign and spiraled out from there (In fact, one of the old hands isn't actually a Hunter), so they only recently started gaining Practical Experience. I was thinking about 10 regular and 5 Practical for the new characters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Loomer posted:

Time for this thread to start watching Sleepy Hollow. It's gloriously over the top and takes the approach of throwing every supernatural thing in possible. It's like a cheesy hunter game.

Plus: Clancy Brown plays a dead sheriff who investigated all kinds of supernatural poo poo and left voice recordings. Guarantee he comes back as a ghost at some point.

Episode two holds all you want and more.

Erebro
Apr 28, 2013

Xir posted:

Any suggestions for me?

For the game?

(I repeat the above warning-if you play in Xir's game, do not click).

You probably don't need to adapt too much, just dial back the tech level-it's already one of the more "magic-focused" chronicles, and magic is largely timeless when fantasy is involved. Assuming you're in medieval Europe, the Flesh Tress are probably somewhere in Finland given the forests already there allowing Qherephis to hide them in the Shadow, and she herself may be Aztec or Greek already, given that last name (I am not a linguist, so don't quote me at all on that), so if she's the latter, there's your suspension of disbelief right there (Greek blood in medieval Europe wasn't that strange). If it's a fantasy world, good. You aren't bound to minutia of historical realism in a world you invent. Mammon can easily blend into a guild of merchants, seeing as how they're that already.

The only real problem I see is seeking the Scepter, since the world it creates is based around middle-class life in affluent parts of the nation. I can see Sutterton Farms reinvented a peaceful, dull community built around the local lord's castle (who is ignored or friends with nearby lords), but if magic (of any kind, Awakened or not) is commonplace, you need something else that the Omnium censors completely to quietly clue the PCs in on its unreality. So is the symbol of the Scepter's defense spell-cell phones presumably don't exist, so neither do cell towers. Perhaps the tower monastery is renowned for the abilities of their messengers?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I'll take that under advisement, I'm still reading the later acts of the chronicle.

Can anyone tell me where in the core book the rules that describe the mechanical effects of magical tools are? I've read over what I can find and it suggests that they help with concentration but don't specify a mechanical benefit. Also would a Mage have a path tool, order tool and arcanum tool all at the same time?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Xir posted:

Can anyone tell me where in the core book the rules that describe the mechanical effects of magical tools are? I've read over what I can find and it suggests that they help with concentration but don't specify a mechanical benefit. Also would a Mage have a path tool, order tool and arcanum tool all at the same time?

Sometimes I wonder who was drinking when things went in the mage book. They don't always make sense, because it's not under Magical Tools (and their dedication in Chapter 2 p89), but rather Chapter 3 in the paradox section on p124.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Xir posted:

I'll take that under advisement, I'm still reading the later acts of the chronicle.

A magical tool gives you -1 to paradox rolls when you use one, that's it. You can have a path tool, an order tool, and multiple arcanum tools if you want, but they don't stack and RAW there's no reason to when a path or order tool will work with anything. I seem to recall DaveB suggesting tools are one of the things he'd change a lot in the Fallen World Chronicle.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Flavivirus posted:

A magical tool gives you -1 to paradox rolls when you use one, that's it. You can have a path tool, an order tool, and multiple arcanum tools if you want, but they don't stack and RAW there's no reason to when a path or order tool will work with anything. I seem to recall DaveB suggesting tools are one of the things he'd change a lot in the Fallen World Chronicle.

This is true.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

This is true.

And that would be awesome. I always get stuck on how you're using your will to bring forth magic into a broken world using the trappings of the world, and then there's the magic wands and tools and stuff and they're... well, they're only really useful for not getting paradox. That doesn't mean I ever came up with a way to balance that in my head, but really it's just me saying I can't wait to see what the change might be.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I actually really like that tools only make your magic safer for bystanders rather than outright more powerful. Magic comes pouring out of your soul and doesn't ACTUALLY care if you're holding a funny-shaped piece of wood in one of your hands... but the fallen world feels a little better about it since you've at least offered it some kind of warning as to what you're about to do to it. It means that bare-handed magic is messy and dangerous but not actually any weaker, so anyone using it habitually is a reckless firebrand and that you corner a mage who hasn't prepared themselves at your own peril.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I actually really like that tools only make your magic safer for bystanders rather than outright more powerful. Magic comes pouring out of your soul and doesn't ACTUALLY care if you're holding a funny-shaped piece of wood in one of your hands... but the fallen world feels a little better about it since you've at least offered it some kind of warning as to what you're about to do to it. It means that bare-handed magic is messy and dangerous but not actually any weaker, so anyone using it habitually is a reckless firebrand and that you corner a mage who hasn't prepared themselves at your own peril.

I'm 100% with you there, but I do wish that it did something (really anything) for covert magic as well. Because as much as it makes the fallen world cope with magic a little easier, I just wish it interacted with that other section of magic that the fallen world doesn't really seem to have a problem with. I'm not wanting equipment modifiers or something that makes magic stronger, but I would love something that made thinking about the tools of your trade more important all the time, and not just when the two conflicting realities collide. The only thing I've ever really come up with is making a covert spell act like it has +1 potency when it's being countered/dispelled. It doesn't make the effects stronger, just harder to get rid of.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

I generally have magical tools and other accoutrements (ritual candles, oblations, diagrams of power, and so on) provide a small mana reduction in addition to any Paradox mitigation, but that's because I use a fairly insane houserule method for calculating mana costs and paradox pools for ritual spells.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jhet posted:

I'm 100% with you there, but I do wish that it did something (really anything) for covert magic as well. Because as much as it makes the fallen world cope with magic a little easier, I just wish it interacted with that other section of magic that the fallen world doesn't really seem to have a problem with. I'm not wanting equipment modifiers or something that makes magic stronger, but I would love something that made thinking about the tools of your trade more important all the time, and not just when the two conflicting realities collide. The only thing I've ever really come up with is making a covert spell act like it has +1 potency when it's being countered/dispelled. It doesn't make the effects stronger, just harder to get rid of.

Here's what we do: the only way to boost a spell's power is by spending extra mana on it, and each point of mana you spend in this way threatens paradox no matter what kind of spell you're boosting. (Vulgar spells are innately more risky, of course)

You have to combine this with a general inability to wick away or mitigate paradox once it's been added to the pool, and you need paradoxes which are themselves significant rather than trivial, but once that's out of the way...

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Generally speaking, how do you guys handle surprise/stealth attacks? I ask because a few days ago my players devastated some NPCs with a surprise attack (not helped by the fact that I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night beforehand and I forgot to make Perception rolls for those NPCs), and I'm thinking that a DnD style surprise round where you just plain lose your turn might not be appropriate for this game, what with the action economy and everything. I've been considering things like just placing characters caught off guard last in the Initiative for the surprise round, but I'm not sure about that.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 7, 2013

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

INH5 posted:

Generally speaking, how do you guys handle surprise/stealth attacks? I ask because a few days ago my players devastated some NPCs with a surprise attack (not helped by the fact that I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night beforehand and I forgot to make Perception rolls for those NPCs), and I'm thinking that a DnD style surprise round where you just plain lose your turn might not be appropriate for this game, what with the action economy and everything. I've been considering things like just placing characters caught off guard last in the Initiative for the surprise round, but I'm not sure about that.

The way my game handles surprise attacks is, in brief:

* If you're attacked while completely unawares, you don't get to roll Defense. (My game uses a contested Dex+Wits defense)
* It's not possible to be subject to surprise attacks once initiative has been rolled
* I can't remember if it's come up yet, or if we decided against it, but at one point we had a thing where you could spend 1 Willpower and spend the rest of the scene On Your Guard, such that you could avoid sneak attacks

The main thing we do that makes wildly disparate attack and defense less ruinous is: we cap net damage at 5 successes. The goal was to make combat behave at least a little more like the other spheres of game interaction, where the difference between an Exceptional Success and, hypothetically and not-at-all-bitterly speaking, 9 successes on a defense roll, is just how much everyone involved feels like they should embellish the result.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

* If you're attacked while completely unawares, you don't get to roll Defense. (My game uses a contested Dex+Wits defense)

Out of curiosity, do you let vampires blood-buff Defense rolls?

Attorney at Funk posted:

The main thing we do that makes wildly disparate attack and defense less ruinous is: we cap net damage at 5 successes. The goal was to make combat behave at least a little more like the other spheres of game interaction, where the difference between an Exceptional Success and, hypothetically and not-at-all-bitterly speaking, 9 successes on a defense roll, is just how much everyone involved feels like they should embellish the result.

Yeah, the game has always been weird about this. For most of the systems, 1 or 2 or 3 successes are all just supposed to mean you succeeded. Only 5 successes makes any real difference, or at least that's how it's theoretically supposed to work. Except that in combat, and in extended rolls to a lesser degree, every success puts you closer to achieving your goal. So in those cases, 3 successes is much better than 1 success, since it could mean taking away half of the other guy's health instead of 1/7.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

INH5 posted:

Out of curiosity, do you let vampires blood-buff Defense rolls?

I'm in that game, and we do.

quote:

Yeah, the game has always been weird about this. For most of the systems, 1 or 2 or 3 successes are all just supposed to mean you succeeded. Only 5 successes makes any real difference, or at least that's how it's theoretically supposed to work. Except that in combat, and in extended rolls to a lesser degree, every success puts you closer to achieving your goal. So in those cases, 3 successes is much better than 1 success, since it could mean taking away half of the other guy's health instead of 1/7.

Before we put the 5cap in place combat could get really annoyingly swingy, and I don't even think it was a result of the full attack dicepool vs. full rolled defense dicepool system; when I played by-the-book Requiem years ago it'd just occasionally and unavoidably happen that a fight ended with a suddenly every-die-comes-up-ten instadeath anticlimax. I was bouncing back and forth alternative systems for months - you know, maybe attacks should just be stat + skill and defense should just be stat, and then weapons would do some weird damage conversion thing without actually giving you dice, etc etc - but it finally occurred to me that it was the totally open-ended nature of attack rolls in the combat system that was the problem.

If you use Nightmare on someone with 1 net success, you scare them. If you Nightmare them for 5 net successes, you scare them really bad. But if you use Nightmare on someone for 11 net successes, you still just scare them really bad, you don't make their head explode or something. Combat should work the same way, and the fact that it doesn't is part of what makes combat stats so much stronger in a game-mechanical, do-your-actions-have-concrete-feedback sense.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I'm in that game, and we do.

The thing is, RAW says that blood-buffing adds to all rolls using that Attribute for the turn. So going strictly by that, you could blood-buff every Defense roll and an attack roll using that Attribute for a turn with just 1 point of Vitae. Do you break from the rules there too?

Ferrinus posted:

If you use Nightmare on someone with 1 net success, you scare them. If you Nightmare them for 5 net successes, you scare them really bad. But if you use Nightmare on someone for 11 net successes, you still just scare them really bad, you don't make their head explode or something. Combat should work the same way, and the fact that it doesn't is part of what makes combat stats so much stronger in a game-mechanical, do-your-actions-have-concrete-feedback sense.

It still doesn't work exactly the same way. 1 success on an attack roll means that you hurt the other guy a bit, but 3 successes means that you hurt them pretty badly (for an average mortal, that's nearly half their health bar). But with Nightmare, 1 net success means that you scared them and 3 net successes means that you scared them. The results might be more embellished by the ST in the latter case, but there still aren't any concrete mechanical effects for rolling that much higher.

I actually saw a house rule on a forum somewhere where a single success on an attack roll inflicted a flat amount of damage based on the weapon you were using, an exceptional success inflicted twice that amount, and there was no in-between. So if your weapon has a damage of 2, you inflict 2 damage on 1, 2, or 4 successes, and 4 damage on 5, 7, or 10 successes. I don't actually like that system, but it does make you think about how different parts of the game are constructed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

INH5 posted:

The thing is, RAW says that blood-buffing adds to all rolls using that Attribute for the turn. So going strictly by that, you could blood-buff every Defense roll and an attack roll using that Attribute for a turn with just 1 point of Vitae. Do you break from the rules there too?

That's what I used to think, but I recall checking the wording recently and finding that it is in fact for one roll only, not for the whole turn. I'll go look right now-

Yeah, it says "to one physical dice pool" and "lasts for one turn". Dexterity + Wits is not the same dice pool as Dexterity + Brawl. I think it's even arguable whether a Vitae boost would increase two separate Defense rolls in the same turn, because they might mean "dice pool" as in "the thing you assemble before making a roll" rather than "a particular combination of traits".

quote:

It still doesn't work exactly the same way. 1 success on an attack roll means that you hurt the other guy a bit, but 3 successes means that you hurt them pretty badly (for an average mortal, that's nearly half their health bar). But with Nightmare, 1 net success means that you scared them and 3 net successes means that you scared them. The results might be more embellished by the ST in the latter case, but there still aren't any concrete mechanical effects for rolling that much higher.

I actually saw a house rule on a forum somewhere where a single success on an attack roll inflicted a flat amount of damage based on the weapon you were using, an exceptional success inflicted twice that amount, and there was no in-between. So if your weapon has a damage of 2, you inflict 2 damage on 1, 2, or 4 successes, and 4 damage on 5, 7, or 10 successes. I don't actually like that system, but it does make you think about how different parts of the game are constructed.

Oh, you're right about that, we just wanted a quick fix rather than a more serious reworking (given that we'd already seriously reworked a ton of stuff anyway and at this point the game was ongoing rather than theoretical). If I was to iterate on the WoD combat system again, I might do something like what you're saying, and if I was to iterate on it again I'd probably see if I could get away with deleting the "Health" trait entirely.

Mind you, I think there might be something lost if 1 success is identical to 4, and a lot of other mechanics we use do care at least a bit about the gap in between - e.g., when attempting to gather information you get one fact per success, or similar. So it's not super important to flatten the range of results between a basic and exceptional success as it is to lop off the top.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 7, 2013

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Having finally got round to reading them, Danse Macabre and Damnation City are awesome. The authors of each are like a hotlist of all my favourite RPG writers. Robin Laws? Dave Brookshaw? Chuck Wendig? Benjamin Baugh? Matt McFarland? Motherfuckin' Greg Stolze?

And all of the alternate Covenants are awesome and I'm gonna try and use them. gently caress yeah, Sun-walking Knights

Edit: Dave, do you know which bits were written by who? A lot of the text seems like it was written by Stolze, as it sounds very Unknown Armies. Most of the Tier 3 Conspiracy Covenants, in particular. I thought he generally only contributed fiction to WoD books, though. Also, which parts did you write?

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 7, 2013

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Doodmons posted:

Having finally got round to reading them, Danse Macabre and Damnation City are awesome. The authors of each are like a hotlist of all my favourite RPG writers. Robin Laws? Dave Brookshaw? Chuck Wendig? Benjamin Baugh? Matt McFarland? Motherfuckin' Greg Stolze?

And all of the alternate Covenants are awesome and I'm gonna try and use them. gently caress yeah, Sun-walking Knights

Edit: Dave, do you know which bits were written by who? A lot of the text seems like it was written by Stolze, as it sounds very Unknown Armies. Most of the Tier 3 Conspiracy Covenants, in particular. I thought he generally only contributed fiction to WoD books, though. Also, which parts did you write?

In Danse? The Harbringers and Hellions in the covenants (the Harbringers being my attempt to bring the spirit of the True Black Hand across), and three of the chronicles - the Tier 1 love story, the Elders-on-a-quest one with the alternate version of VII that makes them the same thing as the Strix and ties them into etruscan legends, and the Ancillas-gone-wild powderkeg that is basically the best Requiem chronicle I ever ran.

Wood wrote some of the other covenants. Stolze wrote the fiction in both books - any time you see fiction in the Chicago vampire setting, it's normally Greg writing it. Similarly, Ben Baugh writes all the Count Dracula and Felix stories.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What all books have Dracula and Felix? I love those guys.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Stolze wrote the fiction in both books - any time you see fiction in the Chicago vampire setting, it's normally Greg writing it. Similarly, Ben Baugh writes all the Count Dracula and Felix stories.

Awesome. I still haven't gotten through all of Danse (not having a regular active game does that), but I did read all the fiction at least. I adored it, and loved the two Requiem novels he wrote. :allears:

I wasn't a huge fan of Blood In, Blood Out though.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

morcant posted:

Blood In, Blood Out is really bad and the nicest thing I can say about it is that nothing that happens in it actually comes up in the next book so folks can go ahead and skip it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Down With People posted:

Blood In, Blood Out is really bad and the nicest thing I can say about it is that nothing that happens in it actually comes up in the next book so folks can go ahead and skip it.

Also, the rant Duce Carter goes on about "rap artists who sport the bling-bling" is fun to read to your friends so you can all share in how ridiculous it is.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm running a one-shot haunted house game for Halloween, and I was thinking about tinkering with Sanity. So far, I've considered throwing in a truncated version of the Unknown Armies Madness Meters (probably going down to Violence/Unnatural/Helplessness) or using the God-Machine Chronicle's Integrity system. How well does the latter work in practice? Or should I just ditch it completely since this is going to be a single session where I pretend to be the Crypt Keeper and the players fight mummies and golems and ghosts that shout boo at people?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Don't use WoD for a one-shot, buy a Jenga set and use Dread instead.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

If you use Nightmare on someone with 1 net success, you scare them. If you Nightmare them for 5 net successes, you scare them really bad. But if you use Nightmare on someone for 11 net successes, you still just scare them really bad, you don't make their head explode or something.

Well let me be the first to ask: why not?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Silhouette posted:

The Dread book is also excellent as a treatise on making horror games in general.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Silhouette posted:

I don't have the spare cash to pay for the full copy of the book, though I guess I could write up questionnaires if I have a Jenga set handy. But I'm not trying to run straightforward horror, so the mechanics are a little on the harsh side for what I'm planning.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

In the Vampire game I'm currently in, the existence of a Dominate/Vigor devotion that lets you blow peoples' heads off with mind bullets is a running joke. I'm just waiting for the GM to actually introduce an NPC who can do this out of nowhere.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Here's a mostly (for me) theoretical question: for any game with vampires in it, how should feeding in combat be handled? The RAW rules of spending a turn to start a grapple and then feeding on the next turn seems like a waste of time considering the typical duration of nWoD combat, even if as in my rules the "grab someone" attack can deal damage. For simplicity's sake, I'm tempted to just say "after a successful Brawl attack, you can choose to deal a flat 1 lethal damage (or drain 1 Vitae if you're biting a vampire) and gain an amount of Vitae as appropriate for the victim." I'm not sure if a penalty would be appropriate, or how it would interact with armor, though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Back and forth conflicts are more interesting than rocket tag. "Well, he got really, really, really, REALLY lucky" doesn't necessarily scan as the answer to "Why am I no longer playing the game?"

INH5 posted:

Here's a mostly (for me) theoretical question: for any game with vampires in it, how should feeding in combat be handled? The RAW rules of spending a turn to start a grapple and then feeding on the next turn seems like a waste of time considering the typical duration of nWoD combat, even if as in my rules the "grab someone" attack can deal damage. For simplicity's sake, I'm tempted to just say "after a successful Brawl attack, you can choose to deal a flat 1 lethal damage (or drain 1 Vitae if you're biting a vampire) and gain an amount of Vitae as appropriate for the victim." I'm not sure if a penalty would be appropriate, or how it would interact with armor, though.

For a while, our group just let you make a brawl attack to drain 1 Vitae from a target instead of inflicting normal damage. Right now we have a slightly fiddlier version where, on any Brawl attack, you can trade two of your successes for 1 Vitae drain instead. (Only once, so you can still only drink 1 point/turn) It hasn't seen a lot of use, though, so if there's some glaring problem with it we haven't run into it yet.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
I'm thinking I like the "trade 2 successes for Vitae drain" better because otherwise you could end up with people saying "I only got 1 success? Oh well, I might as well get some blood out of it." Though I'm not sure about the implied ability to do multiple points of damage and get a bit of Vitae, so perhaps it would be better as "if you do 2 or more damage, you can choose to drain 1 Vitae instead of dealing normal damage." Feeding in the middle of a fight should be a desperation move, not something you do whenever you have a chance. At least not unless feeding was the reason you got in the fight in the first place. Two combatants in a fist fight briefly nibbling on each other every couple of seconds just looks silly.

On the other hand, requiring 2 successes to get any blood at all makes it very difficult for anyone without a bunch of dots in Brawl and/or Vigor to consistently feed on anyone who's fighting back, especially with a 2 trait Defense. Which again, could make it look less like the traditional image of feeding and more like the "occasional nibbles during an otherwise normal fist fight" thing I mentioned above.

Maybe it could require 2 successes in normal combat, but only 1 success if the target's been grappled (which again, in my rules only restricts the target's ability to move away and can be initiated with any normal Brawl attack). So a vampire will trade a blow or two with a victim and, upon rolling 2 successes, grab them and bite in, and from there proceed to feed relatively easily unless the victim can break the hold. In any case, you're still only doing 1 lethal per round, so grappling doesn't help you win a fight, it just makes it easier for you to get blood. Which only makes sense, I think.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 9, 2013

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've really been wanting to play NWoD Hunter again and unfortunately for me, nobody in my area wants to play Pen & Paper style. So instead, I'm thinking about starting up a Play by Post though I'm probably a few weeks out from opening a recruiting thread. Inspired by last year's V:tM20th Liberty City PbP, (probably requires archives) I've been thinking about setting it in San Andreas and having it set up like a cross between the X-Files and Terriers. My thought is to have it set up as a monster-of-the-week style affair with a sunny backdrop with criminal undercurrents.

I'm still trying to work out in my head how I want to bring in the characters. I'm not quite sure if I want to structure it more like a traditional low power hunter cell of if I want to make something closer to 'paranormal private eyes for hire' that is less so concerned about cleaning up the streets and more so about keeping food on the table by doing something you're good at. I think the latter would be more fun and engaging from my perspective, but also possibly harder to keep group cohesion/focus.

Can I get some goon input on this? I'm open to suggestion and if I go through with recruitment for a PbP I really want it to go well.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

morcant posted:

Awesome. I still haven't gotten through all of Danse (not having a regular active game does that), but I did read all the fiction at least. I adored it, and loved the two Requiem novels he wrote. :allears:

BIBO (hee hee) was written by Lucien Soulban, not Stolze.

And yes, it's terrible. It's what happens when a white guy tries to write like Spike Lee.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

BIBO (hee hee) was written by Lucien Soulban, not Stolze.

And yes, it's terrible. It's what happens when a white guy tries to write like Spike Lee.

Yeah, I actually just looked at the authors for HLF and BIBO recently - I was aware Stolze did Marriage, and that it was wonderful. Parts of were kinda left hanging, though - or did some other book ever follow up on the pregnant ghoul and released elder going on a roadtrip? It's been a while since I read it, so it's entirely possible I'm forgetting something.

I still loan out all three books to my friends who play Requiem, because if nothing else it's good to have more people to talk with about poo poo it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

morcant posted:

Yeah, I actually just looked at the authors for HLF and BIBO recently - I was aware Stolze did Marriage, and that it was wonderful. Parts of were kinda left hanging, though - or did some other book ever follow up on the pregnant ghoul and released elder going on a roadtrip? It's been a while since I read it, so it's entirely possible I'm forgetting something.

I still loan out all three books to my friends who play Requiem, because if nothing else it's good to have more people to talk with about poo poo it is.

I seem to recall Danse Macabre had some fiction from Stolze between the chapters updating what was happening with Chicago's kindred, they might be addressed in that.

• Locked thread