Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I think I posed this question here before but I added so many dumb personal caveats that it didn't go anywhere as a topic of discussion. Weightlifting/Strength training. I want to incorporate 2 days a week to heavy lifting with benching, deadlifting and squatting. I do BJJ about 3 times a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, possibly adding in no-gi on Fri's. Mon might switch to Judo too). I feel 2 a week should suffice for BJJ. Any thoughts?. My primary goal is cut weight to a lower weight class by January. I wanna retain strength while I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

swagger like us posted:

I think I posed this question here before but I added so many dumb personal caveats that it didn't go anywhere as a topic of discussion. Weightlifting/Strength training. I want to incorporate 2 days a week to heavy lifting with benching, deadlifting and squatting. I do BJJ about 3 times a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, possibly adding in no-gi on Fri's. Mon might switch to Judo too). I feel 2 a week should suffice for BJJ. Any thoughts?. My primary goal is cut weight to a lower weight class by January. I wanna retain strength while I do it.

Two days a week of heavy-ish lifting is a good idea. The specifics of what you do on those two days is going to depend a lot on what your lifting history is to date, as well as your current strength levels.

As a general statement, if you're losing weight and also doing other athletic pursuits, your lifting routine should probably be high weight, relatively low rep, and be at peace with the fact that until you're eating more again your progress on the weights will probably be slow.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 2, 2013

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
When I'm dropping weight I only have very heavy and short sessions. Weekly I do one session each in the deadlift, squat and bench. Work up to a 5 rep max, then drop 10% of the weight and do another 5 reps.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So there was a BJJ tournament in my area this past weekend, and one of the purple belts from our gym really cleaned up. He’s a big guy, coming from football before getting into BJJ, and I was impressed by the power of his standing game: he gets a grip and closes the distance, then grabs for a knee/ankle pick when he gets in, and if he can’t immediately finish the takedown he charges forward and transitions into a khabarelli throw right into side control. I’ve been trying to brainstorm Judo solutions to this strategy, but he outweighs me by almost 150lbs, so my options are fairly limited and my timing has to be very precise to put up any sort of a fight. In practice I’ve been able to frustrate him by stepping the leg grab and controlling his grips, but I am still powerless to defend the bull rush, so I thought it might help to bring this scenario to the thread for advice. Does anyone have experience grappling against a similar size mismatch, or ideas about a reliable counter to this attack pattern?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CivilDisobedience posted:

So there was a BJJ tournament in my area this past weekend, and one of the purple belts from our gym really cleaned up. He’s a big guy, coming from football before getting into BJJ, and I was impressed by the power of his standing game: he gets a grip and closes the distance, then grabs for a knee/ankle pick when he gets in, and if he can’t immediately finish the takedown he charges forward and transitions into a Karabelli throw right into side control. I’ve been trying to brainstorm Judo solutions to this strategy, but he outweighs me by almost 150lbs, so my options are fairly limited and my timing has to be very precise to put up any sort of a fight. In practice I’ve been able to frustrate him by stepping the leg grab and controlling his grips, but I am still powerless to defend the bull rush, so I thought it might help to bring this scenario to the thread for advice. Does anyone have experience grappling against a similar size mismatch, or ideas about a reliable counter to this attack pattern?

If the guy is 150 lbs heavier than you and a purple belt he's just going to gently caress you up and there's not much you can do about it other than working the stuff you already know, unfortunately. Grappling is a weight class sport for a reason. On the other hand if he's doing this to you in sparring instead of using it as an opportunity to work on the weaker parts of his game then he's not really doing himself any favors either.

When I'm going with waaaaaay bigger guys who aren't adjusting to the fact that I'm a tiny baby man I just start trying for all kinds of crazy takedowns and sacrifice throws and if it doesn't work and they just start muscling me on the ground then I tap out and try again. I figure if they don't want to have a productive sparring session then at least I can be working my footwork and throw entrances and get some value out of it.

Though if he's always going for lapel grips I guess you could try to work your duck-unders or arm drags to take his back or shoot on him yourself. Most BJJ gyms are lovely at teaching these though. There's also sitting back for the armbar as soon as he takes the grip but you'll never finish it on a guy that much bigger and you'll just wind up in a bad spot on the bottom.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 3, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
150 pounds is a lot of weight, especially if hes in decent shape and not a lardball.

You would need to be much, much better than him to overcome that.

I guess my advice is "be Marcelo Garcia"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJDZsmiWGU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Who the gently caress throws a water bottle at a guy for beating someone twice his size? ADCC is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In the desert throwing water at someone is the highest respect.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Who the gently caress throws a water bottle at a guy for beating someone twice his size? ADCC is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I know they have different rules than IBJJF, but it's always a bit shocking to me when Ricco doesn't get instantly DQ'd for that ridiculous slam when Marcelo takes his back.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

I know they have different rules than IBJJF, but it's always a bit shocking to me when Ricco doesn't get instantly DQ'd for that ridiculous slam when Marcelo takes his back.

Technically that's illegal in ADCC too; that's why they stop for like five minutes.

Although if he'd waited till Marcelo was trying to choke him, it would have been perfectly legal. ADCC, everybody.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Novum posted:

In the desert throwing water at someone is the highest respect.

That event was in Long Beach, California.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gregor Samsa posted:

That event was in Long Beach, California.

I'm pretty sure people were throwing poo poo at Rodriguez given how hard people were booing him the whole fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like that he immediately goes for a heel hook after the restart.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

Although if he'd waited till Marcelo was trying to choke him, it would have been perfectly legal. ADCC, everybody.

hahaha

We should organize an ADCC watch thread. Boredom and :psyduck: in equal measure

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Novum posted:

I'm pretty sure people were throwing poo poo at Rodriguez given how hard people were booing him the whole fight.

Yeah, that plus, well, Brazilians.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Some great tips from Stephen Kesting on BJJ for the Zombie Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb7-SpJdgQI

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Some great tips from Stephen Kesting on BJJ for the Zombie Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb7-SpJdgQI

I love how he actually took this sort of seriously.

unf
Mar 6, 2004

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

same.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
well, thats it. Time to start boxing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ryan Hall owns.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
While true that's not Ryan Hall

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ryan Hall decided to renounce the dark side a while back to focus on pressure and top control like an adult.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Ryan Hall decided to renounce the dark side a while back to focus on pressure and top control like an adult.

Partly because he's apparently switching his focus entirely to MMA.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
When is ADCC and why are they trying to ensure no one sees it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

At least his opponent used the proper defense; backing away with a disgusted look on his face.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

MycroftXXX posted:

At least his opponent used the proper defense; backing away with a disgusted look on his face.

He got triangled shortly after the point where the gif ends.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I can't see the upside down crabwalk working out to your advantage in the long run.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Is there any talk at all about incentivizing top control in competition? I know we shouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole of tweaking rules, less we end up like Olympic Judo, but it seems to me that allowing so much guard pulling is detrimental to the sport. Obviously BJJ isnt some kung fu self defence eye gougin martial art, but competition/sparring should still be a form of distilled self defence training/alive based component of a martial art. So much guard pulling isn't helping that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

cortxbomb posted:

Sit down and fight me like a man!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Is there any talk at all about incentivizing top control in competition? I know we shouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole of tweaking rules, less we end up like Olympic Judo, but it seems to me that allowing so much guard pulling is detrimental to the sport. Obviously BJJ isnt some kung fu self defence eye gougin martial art, but competition/sparring should still be a form of distilled self defence training/alive based component of a martial art. So much guard pulling isn't helping that.

-2 points for a guard pull when neither competitor is working a throw or take down maybe? Look at FILA wrestling's recent changes to encourage positive wrestling, one of which was awarding an extra point for the takedown with no position of danger (it was 1 point, now is 2).

Otherwise standing restart for butt scoot.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Anyone been to a Rener Gracie seminar? Is that not to be missed? Certainly he knows his stuff, but is he a good instructor/seminar teacher?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Truly the finest sport.

Also here is one of my BJJ teammates, judo Olympian Travis Stevens, teaching a rolling omoplata from a kimura fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mylWD5et_o

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

Truly the finest sport.

Also here is one of my BJJ teammates, judo Olympian Travis Stevens, teaching a rolling omoplata from a kimura fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mylWD5et_o

pffft everyone knows omaplatas are fake and don't work

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

origami posted:

While true that's not Ryan Hall

Ah. All I could see was a smaller white guy with brown hair and just assumed. The guy in that video also owns.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

swagger like us posted:

the incentive is that you are more likely to win if you are on top

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

swagger like us posted:

Hello my name is Mechafunkzilla and I'm here to talk to you about sambo and catch wrestling. Have you accepted Igor Kurrinoy as your lord and savior?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2013

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Last competition I was in they deducted a point for pulling guard. (or gave a point to the opponent, I can't remember the exact implementation)

In an ironic twist, I lost in the finals of my division when, after much circling and failed shots on both our parts, my opponent finally pulled guard and I'm grinning all over myself for being up a point and then realized he'd pulled me into an arm bar. :smith:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hello my name is Mechafunzilla and I'm here to talk to you about sambo and catch wrestling. Have you accepted Igor Kurrinoy as your lord and savior?

They dont have any in my city :( Which is a real shame, they used to have a club out of the university but it has since shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5YYqVe1cU