Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Electromax posted:

The Viewtype is a modification of the built-in Multiplex view. I had never done any XBMC skinning/customization before but the files are XML format buried in Program Files/XBMC/addons/skin/aeonmq.4/720p. The author did a pretty horrible job for code formatting and readability but I eventually adjusted the zoom and tilt on posters to make them huge for across the room, changed spacing and info tags and such.
Looks great and thanks for sharing how to do that.

Also Fist of Legend kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I have my PC in my office connected to my LCD TV over HDMI along with my Monitor on my desk. I'm running Steam BPM full time, but I have XBMC set as an app in steam to jump back and forth. For the most part this works pretty well, however, a lot of times when I launch emulators from RCB in full screen, often XBMC will shift to windowed mode, which is a bit annoying, and worse sometimes it won't be the active window when I exit the emulator. Is there any way to keep XBMC running in full screen? I've tried checking the option for full screen windowed but that doesn't seem to help.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a setting for the advancedsettings.xml or otherwise that will allow my client HTPC to timeout after X amount of seconds without being able to reach my file server? I'd like to fire up the HTPC sometimes without firing up the file server, but XBMC will just freeze at the logo until I either force quit it, or disconnect the USB wifi adapter (to make it give up on connecting to the server). I have a few streaming options on the HTPC, and sometimes only want to watch that. But if I don't have the file server turned on, it will just hang until I turn it on or unplug the wifi adapter.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Cross posting from the Game Center Live thread.

If you want to watch NHL games use this addon for watching the NHL streams on XBMC. Worked perfect yesterday. Download and then install addon from zip in XBMC.

Edit: Fixed URL

Burden fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 6, 2013

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Burden posted:

Cross posting from the Game Center Live thread.

If you want to watch NHL games use this addon for watching the NHL streams on XBMC. Worked perfect yesterday. Download and then install addon from zip in XBMC.

fixed url: http://ge.tt/2QbKAUt/v/0

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

IUG posted:

Does anyone know of a setting for the advancedsettings.xml or otherwise that will allow my client HTPC to timeout after X amount of seconds without being able to reach my file server? I'd like to fire up the HTPC sometimes without firing up the file server, but XBMC will just freeze at the logo until I either force quit it, or disconnect the USB wifi adapter (to make it give up on connecting to the server). I have a few streaming options on the HTPC, and sometimes only want to watch that. But if I don't have the file server turned on, it will just hang until I turn it on or unplug the wifi adapter.

I had asked this question once before, and was told that it's not possible. Something to the effect of XBMC being so dependent on the library that it doesn't make sense to run without it. That seems a bit silly to me, since there are several streaming options that don't require a file server, as you mention. Either way, the answer that I received at some point in the last year was "Nope, can't do."

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If you want to be able to use your setup without an SQL server running at all times, configuring your XBMC install to be completely dependant on one probably wasn't a good idea.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Isn't the whole point of the server that its running all the time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't the whole point of the server that its running all the time.

I just bought a house so I don't have a whole lot of extra money. I put the server (desktop) to sleep. I could wake it up every time I also turn on the HTPC, but when I want to just watch the news or streaming media I don't really need the sql database or files. If I don't unplug the USB wifi adapater it will freeze at the logo. If I do unplug it it'll just go to a blank library, but with my video plugins there.

Also useful if I am firing up the HTPC to play something on Steam instead, and I don't intend to watch video at all. Because most of the time when XBMC freezes like that I can't even bring up the task manager because it is hidden behind the full screen dead XBMC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I just bought a house so I don't have a whole lot of extra money. I put the server (desktop) to sleep. I could wake it up every time I also turn on the HTPC, but when I want to just watch the news or streaming media I don't really need the sql database or files. If I don't unplug the USB wifi adapater it will freeze at the logo. If I do unplug it it'll just go to a blank library, but with my video plugins there.

Also useful if I am firing up the HTPC to play something on Steam instead, and I don't intend to watch video at all. Because most of the time when XBMC freezes like that I can't even bring up the task manager because it is hidden behind the full screen dead XBMC.

Have you looked at what your server is actually costing you each month, electricity wise? My server has like 8 drives or something and stays on all the time. Electric bill footprint is like $5 or $10 per month or something. More than worth it to not gently caress around with stuff when someone wants to watch TV.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, the other thing is that it's noisy as gently caress in my office. It's one of those Antec 800 cases with a 200m case. I don't want to turn it on and leave it on 24/7 for the ~1 hour of TV I watch a day that isn't Netflix. If I did watch a lot of the media stored on it, I also live in CT, which has the 4th most expensive electricity costs (I just looked it up, we were the second highest after Hawaii for a while).

I just have a few reasons why I want to not keep the fileserver not running all the time, and the answer is "XBMC isn't designed that way" I guess.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

Okay, the other thing is that it's noisy as gently caress in my office. It's one of those Antec 800 cases with a 200m case. I don't want to turn it on and leave it on 24/7 for the ~1 hour of TV I watch a day that isn't Netflix. If I did watch a lot of the media stored on it, I also live in CT, which has the 4th most expensive electricity costs (I just looked it up, we were the second highest after Hawaii for a while).

I just have a few reasons why I want to not keep the fileserver not running all the time, and the answer is "XBMC isn't designed that way" I guess.

Fair enough. If that's the case I would look at not using a SQL library setup, and just have XBMC manage everything. You won't miss anything unless you're actively using multiple XBMC installs, and even then there's add-ons to take care of everything else besides being able to resume stuff in a different room.

Also, could profiles be used to solve this? I'm not sure how they work, as I haven't used them, but if one profile could be setup without the server then it would solve your problem.

You could also setup a different instance of XBMC that just has the video addons you want to use, but that would probably get aggravating in regards to updates and things.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IUG posted:

I dont know if you do anything else with this thing, but you should see about selling it and just getting something like a synology NAS. Uses minimal power and can run sql servers and poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EC posted:

Fair enough. If that's the case I would look at not using a SQL library setup, and just have XBMC manage everything. You won't miss anything unless you're actively using multiple XBMC installs, and even then there's add-ons to take care of everything else besides being able to resume stuff in a different room.

Also, could profiles be used to solve this? I'm not sure how they work, as I haven't used them, but if one profile could be setup without the server then it would solve your problem.

You could also setup a different instance of XBMC that just has the video addons you want to use, but that would probably get aggravating in regards to updates and things.

Profiles still look at advancedsettings.xml, so no, that doesn't work. I tried that for my AD10 HTPC to have an away/home setup with it, but that doesn't work. But yeah, I do have multiple HTPCs in other rooms, but the living room is the one I watch from the most frequently.

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if you do anything else with this thing, but you should see about selling it and just getting something like a synology NAS. Uses minimal power and can run sql servers and poo poo.
This "fileserver" is an old desktop computer I made like 7 years ago, just with Samba sharing turned on with the SQL server. It's just Windows 7 that I'll occasionally fire up Steam on as well when I want to play Bioshock Infinite or some other PC exclusive.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

EC posted:

Have you looked at what your server is actually costing you each month, electricity wise? My server has like 8 drives or something and stays on all the time. Electric bill footprint is like $5 or $10 per month or something. More than worth it to not gently caress around with stuff when someone wants to watch TV.
Besides the 3x2TB in internal drives, I have over 5x2TB connected via USB. I wonder how much those power bricks are wasting.
(Next PC is gonna be a proper server)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

Profiles still look at advancedsettings.xml, so no, that doesn't work. I tried that for my AD10 HTPC to have an away/home setup with it, but that doesn't work. But yeah, I do have multiple HTPCs in other rooms, but the living room is the one I watch from the most frequently.

In that case I'd give up room-to-room resume and just let the local installs take care of themselves. Setup either updates on startup or updates every few hours and you'll be good. If watched status is important, in pretty sure there's an addon that will take care of that as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I updated OpenElec to 3.2.2 last night and it trashed my libraries/watch flags so yeah, I think I'm going to be looking into addon related solutions for that. Is Trakt still a buggy piece of poo poo or it reliable these days?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Gunslinger posted:

I updated OpenElec to 3.2.2 last night and it trashed my libraries/watch flags so yeah, I think I'm going to be looking into addon related solutions for that. Is Trakt still a buggy piece of poo poo or it reliable these days?

It was reliable when I rebuilt my library awhile back. The website seems stable nowadays as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

It was reliable when I rebuilt my library awhile back. The website seems stable nowadays as well.

Ok I'll give it a shot then, I'm tired of losing watched flags as I really depend on them with the size of my library.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok I'll give it a shot then, I'm tired of losing watched flags as I really depend on them with the size of my library.

There is (was?) an addon that will do it locally as well, but the XBMC forums won't load for me so I can't search for it.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

The Gunslinger posted:

I use http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc to sync my watched data with trakt.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

Trakt is, and always will be, a buggy unreliable piece of poo poo. Which is a great shame. I tried it only a month or two back and despite the usual 'it works fine' comments, once again it was the culprit of bringing my system to its knees.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Suniikaa posted:

I use http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc to sync my watched data with trakt.

Works great. I use this to sync plex and xbmc everyday.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Trakt is, and always will be, a buggy unreliable piece of poo poo. Which is a great shame. I tried it only a month or two back and despite the usual 'it works fine' comments, once again it was the culprit of bringing my system to its knees.

Where you using trakt utilities or another 3rd party addon? I had issues with those, but the official trakt xbmc has worked well since I switched over.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Seconding that. If you're running the sync process for the first time, it will take awhile, though.

Also, if you're into rewatching series, it can be a bit troublesome at time. I'll mark a season as unwatched, then wake up the next day to see it marked as watched again. Technically it's doing what it's supposed to, just a bit aggressively.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Well I'm totally sold on nbox being my full time skin on all my xbmcs. It really looks great imo.

I may look to editing the TV library view to show TV logos at some point as I prefer them to posters, but day to day it really looks good and proper.
Check it out if you've not seen it before. It is a 'metro' inspired skin, but really, don't hold that against it, it works well on lower powered systems too.

bobsetsfire
Oct 14, 2005

They call me the American Eagle
Going back to the 5.1/7.1 discussion, I'm running Openelec on a normal desktop PC. I've got a 7.1 sound card and a no-name (Xenta I think?) 5.1 surround setup with wireless rears. If I select 5.1 or 7.1 in xbmc, the audio is incredibly tinny. The sub seems to shut down for all but the bassiest sounds. The speakers do all seem to be set up correctly but the subwoofer is pretty much not used. Obviously as it's a budget setup, there's no bass management on the speakers.

At the moment I've been using 4.0 which uses the rears, but the centre channel appears to be split between the centre and the front speakers. The sub also works fine in this mode but I'd prefer to have 'proper' 5.1

Any ideas what I can do? I've looked into asound.conf but it's all pretty complicated and I've never got it to work anything like properly.

bobsetsfire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 9, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have sickbeard put the quality of a file in the filename, and then have it replace with better quality. XBMC sees these as two separate episodes, 1 of which exists and one doesn't exist. If I watched the first quality and then the file gets replaced, the new file is no longer watched.

Other than Trakt, is there any way to reconcile these watched statuses?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

FISHMANPET posted:

I have sickbeard put the quality of a file in the filename, and then have it replace with better quality. XBMC sees these as two separate episodes, 1 of which exists and one doesn't exist. If I watched the first quality and then the file gets replaced, the new file is no longer watched.

how do you do this in sickbeard (aside from the quality in the title, I know how to do that)? I'd love for it to download the bluray rips as they come out of things.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Set the quality to custom, then you can choose initial and archive. For most of my shows I've got 720p HDTV and 720p WebDL as initial and 720p WebDL and 720p Bluray as Archive. It wont' search for the archive qualities until one of the initial qualities has been downloaded, so it will download HDTV or Web-DL first, then upgrade HDTV to Web-DL when it comes out, then upgrade Web-DL to Bluray when it comes out.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

You could... use trakt. Or switch to a naming scheme that doesn't include quality, although I can understand why you'd want to have the info in there. XBMC's watched values are completely based around files instead of library entries.

trakt has been working great on my setup for over a year now, instead of causing crashes and generally not submitting every other play as it used to. Whenever I add stuff to my library it checks and sets watched status automatically, it's really neat.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Edit: I'm stupid.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Anyone know how to change the default home screen tile when using the Ace skin? I'd prefer my default to be "TV Shows" as opposed to "Live TV".

Keep in mind I don't want to directly go to the TV Shows menu (this I know how to do). I just want the home screen tile to be set as TV Shows.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

g0del posted:

No, this is wrong. The AD12 uses an AMD chipset, and the AMD linux drivers do not support HD audio. See here and here.

It really sucks, because openelec is really nice, but if you want to hear 7.1 audio on your AD12, you'll need to run windows. Or convince AMD to write fully functional linux drivers. Whichever's easier for you, I guess.

Of course unless you're ripping your own blu-rays, odds are you won't be seeing HD audio much. The average video file you'll come across will only have ac3 or dts 5.1 at most, which will work fine on the AD12 with openelec.

Well, it looks like this is no longer the case. The latest release of Openelec has added support for HD audio on AMD systems!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Question: So now I'm all up in this XBMC business and I need to rename my 600+ movies to something XBMC can tolerate. Plus I need move the ones not in folders into folders with their names. I went to the supplemntary tools forum as suggested in the OP. The 2 main programs seem to be Ember media manager and something called tinyfilemanager or something like that. I also heard about one called Media Center Master, which is the one ive been playing with for an hour or so. It seems good (and will rename stuff according to XBMC standards) but its cumbersome and when it started doing an automatic renaming of everything it went hog wild, asking me for IMDB ids and just renaming stuff without even consulting (it renamed the movie "Cuba Si!" to "Ann Boleyn"..?)

Which do you guys use/used for when you first switched to XBMC?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been using Ember Media Manager to manage my meager movie collection. It's pretty good at detecting the names of movies, but if it gets it wrong you can pretty easily force it into recognizing it as what it actually is.

I didn't really watch movies until I used EMM to clean up my movies and get me all the pretty artwork.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I've been using Ember Media Manager to manage my meager movie collection. It's pretty good at detecting the names of movies, but if it gets it wrong you can pretty easily force it into recognizing it as what it actually is.

I didn't really watch movies until I used EMM to clean up my movies and get me all the pretty artwork.

Any good tut on using this thing? Any personal tips?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Gozinbulx posted:

Any good tut on using this thing? Any personal tips?

Honestly? I would just use CouchPotato to manage the collection (even if you have no intention of using it for its other features). I used Ember for a while, and its scraping didn't seem very good. Unless I wanted to sit there and manually verify each of the matches it found, it would make some pretty puzzling decisions.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just kinda poked at it until it did what I wanted it to. I set a movies directory in EMM, and put my movies in there. Somewhere in the settings you can tell it you're using XBMC Frodo, and doing so automatically selects the metadata that's relevant to XBMC. From there, just scan the library and then scrape the movies (scraping is what downloads all the metadata). You can automate it, and it's pretty good about getting good high quality stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Another opinion: do it yourself. I know it seems like a lot of work, but you'll be much happier in the long run. Don't worry about artwork or posters or anything, just make sure the name/year of the movie is in the folder name and you'll be set for life. EMM/CP and others usually did nothing but leave behind a mess for me to clean up.