Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
There are two factors with GEs: the building's price in hammers, and the city's population. The higher your population, the more hammers it'll produce in bulk. If your population isn't high enough, your GE will only complete a certain amount of the work. You can see this in late-game wonders because even if you burn a GE on the Sydney Opera House, you might not be able to instantly finish it unless you have a population of at least around 35.

Basically, I know you wanna put a Wonder in your lovely new settlement so it can generate some culture and have a Wonder bonus, but don't do this. Ever.

Hammers::population also seems kind of exponential, so you'll get a lot more hammers out of a city with 10 pop than you will out of a city with 7 or 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

I am Reverend posted:

Was the ring world game I just played glitched or is it supposed to be the worst loving thing ever. I don't have any screenshots but every single hex was jungle unless it had like horses on it or something.

I've seen this too, it's not just you. Pretty much makes the game a PvE against Barbarians. And with the narrow chokepoints, it's a pain invading anyone.

Also, make sure you have good cities on both the inner sea and the outer sea, so you can actually apply some pressure on others.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I see so many people talking about the traits of the AI. For the past bazillion yrars, I have played with random personalities but am I in the minority?

I am not a good player and thus i hang around Prince, so. I wonder if later difficulties are something that are nigh impossible without being able to predict AI.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Basically, I know you wanna put a Wonder in your lovely new settlement so it can generate some culture and have a Wonder bonus, but don't do this. Ever.

The hammers don't appear to scale with age, with means that you can get by with this for medieval era wonders in a relatively new lovely settlement but modern wonders won't get done in 1 turn unless you pop them in a core city.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vahakyla posted:

I see so many people talking about the traits of the AI. For the past bazillion yrars, I have played with random personalities but am I in the minority?

I am not a good player and thus i hang around Prince, so. I wonder if later difficulties are something that are nigh impossible without being able to predict AI.

I also play almost exclusively with random personalities. I'm pretty sure it actually makes the game easier, though, because the personalities usually don't synergize with the uniques as they are meant to.

e: Also that son of a bitch Hiawatha is always the runaway even with random personalities.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

The hammers don't appear to scale with age, with means that you can get by with this for medieval era wonders in a relatively new lovely settlement but modern wonders won't get done in 1 turn unless you pop them in a core city.

No, they definitely do scale with age. They just don't stay at a constant level against Wonder costs. In Ancient and Classical and I think Mediaeval you'll get 100% the cost of the Wonder, but from Industrial on you seem to get about 90%. A core city can still build the Wonder in one turn by adding on its own production, but I often have to build Neuschwanstein in a minor city and when I do it goes from around 20 turns to around 3.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Finished a post-patch Germany game. I think I like the Hanse. Its bonus is really good but not only do you have to make less lucrative trade routes (though I guess that's offset by putting banks everywhere), you also have to stay on top of the world congress to make sure no one tries to embargo them. And they will, just to spite you. It's all kinda high-effort but I guess that's a good thing.

A library or public school replacement that works like the burial tomb but gives the conqueror science could've been fun too.

Also, a common question is if moving your initial settler is worth it. In this game I didn't settle until turn 3. My original spawn was about a quarter tundra but I spotted a plains/river area nearby with 4 wheat and 3 salt. Conquered Poland and China before turn 75.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I played with random personalities once, but it ended up just feeling like all of the civ's actions were just random, instead of having a clear goal behind them.

Also can someone tell me how to build an early army? I seem to suck at it and just get stuck building buildings. I'll have at most my original warrior, a scout, and an archer for a very long time into the game. I just can't pull myself away from "Oh but this building will make x better!" and building units seems to take forever.

Plus I barely have the money to support a large army existing. Unless I take time to build caravans which also takes a while. It's just a never ending feedback loop of having no army.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
There's usually time to pump out some units after you've got a monument/shrine/granary/library in the capital. If you take tradition you can even just take the freebie monument and you may not care about a shrine so that's more hammers for units.

I generally don't bother with walls, barracks, markets, or coliseums until later. Stone works, stables, and circuses on a case-by-case basis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vahakyla posted:

When I played with random personalities, I still got an extremely expansionist Hiawatha. Only now he was cowardly.

He still won.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I swear something was gone wrong with my game, and Gustavus has taken his role as 'expansionist dickhead who does horrible things but is too drat nice to attack'. When I get Hiawatha, he tends to get the poo poo kicked out of him by the other AI before he can do anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

KKKlean Energy posted:

I had a quick browse of the workshop and noticed some mods that might be of interest to the thread:

Diplomacy Values: shows the number of jerkpoints for each modifier http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169448644

[GK+BNW+Van] Never Become a Warmongerer: disables the warmonger diplohit for all players http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109376170

Civ IV Diplomatic Features: This has been posted before, but it seems the creator has followed through on his ambitious promises and it contains a lot more stuff. Notably vassalage. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141452526

Cool beans I will add these

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
gently caress Caesar.

He's been almost a nonentity in every game thusfar. I started a new Venice game and got an amazing start (four wine, one incense, and a desert so I can finally built Petra as Venice) and 9 of the 12 civs are on the same continent as I am with a bunch of extra city-states since I'm going to try again for a diplomatic victory. I grab a far-off city state so I can extend my trade routes. Auggie and I have been great buddies so far considering we're sharing several land trade routes and making a bunch of money off each other, when all of a sudden he shows up outside my puppet with a massive army and says "oh hey, no hard feelings" and takes the city in five turns. Then he contacts me for peace. This whole time his mood is Friendly.

Now we're back to being buddies on paper, but I'm just waiting for him to try this again since he's been aggressively conquering city-states and just eliminated Brazil from the game.

What the hell, random backstabbery. Did I just end up with a really unbalanced Caesar in this game, or have I just been lucky so far and not encountered his conquering dickery?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

gently caress Caesar.

He's been almost a nonentity in every game thusfar. I started a new Venice game and got an amazing start (four wine, one incense, and a desert so I can finally built Petra as Venice) and 9 of the 12 civs are on the same continent as I am with a bunch of extra city-states since I'm going to try again for a diplomatic victory. I grab a far-off city state so I can extend my trade routes. Auggie and I have been great buddies so far considering we're sharing several land trade routes and making a bunch of money off each other, when all of a sudden he shows up outside my puppet with a massive army and says "oh hey, no hard feelings" and takes the city in five turns. Then he contacts me for peace. This whole time his mood is Friendly.

Now we're back to being buddies on paper, but I'm just waiting for him to try this again since he's been aggressively conquering city-states and just eliminated Brazil from the game.

What the hell, random backstabbery. Did I just end up with a really unbalanced Caesar in this game, or have I just been lucky so far and not encountered his conquering dickery?

Didn't Augustus Caesar bring unprecedented success to Rome by selectively ignoring and betraying pacts and allies?

Anyway, in game, he betrays me constantly, especially in the Classical era when he gets his beasts. I don't even think he takes into account his economy when he betrays someone. If you have a city, he wants it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ceasar is a conquering dick, it's really his calling card. He may not be genghis khan but hes still pretty bad.

He's also a lying fucker.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Great, now I've got to buy a huge army instead of finishing out my massive trade fleet and go teach him that Venice does not like interruptions to our trade.

Not how I wanted to spend the Renaissance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, it's Medieval Italians vs. Ancient Italians!

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Did I just end up with a really unbalanced Caesar in this game, or have I just been lucky so far and not encountered his conquering dickery?

Echoing that Augustus does that all the time. Now you know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Speedball posted:

How do you make a Venetian blind?

Poke his eyes out, then nuke his capital!!!!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Some of the civs seem pretty gimped with their starting areas. I played a game as morocco and was surrounded by desert, no river/flood plains. I was next to brazil who settled all the good bits and went REALLY wide.

Another match I played as possibly-brazil? and was surrounded by jungle and no production tiles at all. Just Jungle and food/luxuries. I still try to carry on with those matches but getting double-teamed at turn 100 with no army in place, doesn't work out. For the desert game I gave up when I fell behind absolutely everyone else. Since I've started trying to just play every single start I'm given, I am now really looking forward to getting an actually-good start for once.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Speedball posted:

I need 20 more turns to build up my treasury and I don't think that sneaky Roman bastard is going to give it to me. Is there some formula for how often he betrays and attacks you?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Generally speaking, are there common necessities for a good start or does it depend on what civ you've got?

Also should I make it a point to grab the early tourism-providing wonders when I'm aiming for a culture victory? There doesn't seem to be any way to leverage that minute bit of tourism into any level of influence before Archaeology, but I guess it would help me compete against an AI tourism powerhouse.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
I'd like to take this opportunity to reaffirm the fact that "Brave New World" was the marketing department's 2nd choice after their initially proposed title of "Rock the Kasbah".

Seriously, Morocco is the best loving joke and my indomitable economy is the only one laughing :frogc00l:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Geight posted:

Generally speaking, are there common necessities for a good start or does it depend on what civ you've got?

Also should I make it a point to grab the early tourism-providing wonders when I'm aiming for a culture victory? There doesn't seem to be any way to leverage that minute bit of tourism into any level of influence before Archaeology, but I guess it would help me compete against an AI tourism powerhouse.

I'm not particularly great at this but I feel like a great start would be wheat or some kind of food resource, and stone or marble. City on a hill with a river next to it, going through a desert for flood plains, and the rest of the tiles are grassland with a couple of jungle thrown in. And the city is next to a mountain for an observatory.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Menorah on Fire posted:

I'd like to take this opportunity to reaffirm the fact that "Brave New World" was the marketing department's 2nd choice after their initially proposed title of "Rock the Kasbah".

Seriously, Morocco is the best loving joke and my indomitable economy is the only one laughing :frogc00l:

Morocco and Sweden are great game mates since their UA benefits other people. It's like a goody bag.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

I need 20 more turns to build up my treasury and I don't think that sneaky Roman bastard is going to give it to me. Is there some formula for how often he betrays and attacks you?

Do you have enough money to bribe someone else to attack him?

Can you bribe him to attack someone else?

Can you make a defensive pact with any other civilization(they accept them sometimes now).

Is his current army small enough that you can beat him to the punch, declare war on him, and hope he sends a small army that you can pick off and keep manageable?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Generally speaking guys are less likely to attack you if you have a ton of trade routes with them--the AI is smart enough to know when it'd be shooting itself in the foot by killing a trade partner. That's how I kept Shaka off my back once.

Also: build an army and make it visible by putting it on your borders. You can dissuade an ambush by making the AI think you're well-prepared for an attack. I've actually seen an opposing army roll up, then roll right back the way it came this way. The AI smells weakness. If you don't have a big standing army they'll think you're weak and gang up on you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do improvements like the Chateau and Kasbah give you the resources below them?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Do improvements like the Chateau and Kasbah give you the resources below them?

No, Great People improvements give you strategic resources under them because it'd be painful to find out there was iron under that academy and have to tear it down. Those improvements don't have that problem.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I never figured out, what's the optimal tile to put Great People improvements on? How exactly does it effect tile yield?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
So I did a game or two as someone suggested focusing on early growth instead of wonders as that's a habit I've been trying to break, and after being pretty drat successful (I was China and then Poland and achieved science victory in both as I started swathed in jungle in both games), and also felt a little less constrained than 'there's a wonder I MUST BUILD IT!'.

Some of the early wonders seem like they're good no matter what in most situations though unless you're going super early aggression, like Great Library seems good for both Science and Culture victories because the free tech means you can immediately start working on the Parthenon and get quick tourism. What wonders are indispensable enough that they're worth rushing? Or is it still better to just grow early with little bits and pieces?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Wicked Wall posted:

What wonders are indispensable enough that they're worth rushing? Or is it still better to just grow early with little bits and pieces?

The Great Library, the Oracle, the Colossus, Petra, possibly Stonehenge if your strategy revolves around religion. Most other wonders are more situational or eventually only provide a cultural boost.

I do think Neuschwanstein Castle is a good later wonder to grab for the huge bonus to happiness.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JayMax posted:

I never figured out, what's the optimal tile to put Great People improvements on? How exactly does it effect tile yield?

It boosts the tile by whatever bonus the great person offers. So Great Merchants give +Gold, Scientists +Science etc. There's also Policies and World Congress Edicts that add more benefits.

They also remove any replacements already there, so farms, etc. are all gone. I've heard putting them on sheep is a good idea since they spawn on hills but just put it any tile with good yields, since you won't be improving the food/Production of those (Unless it's a great engineer). Putting it on a desert or snow is a bad idea for example because you will only get what the GP gives you.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Genghis invaded me as William Orange in a game last week because I didn't really have a standing army, but what I did have was the great wall and about 3k gold, so I just bought up a few composite bowmen and killed his entire force since they were about 6 tiles deep into my territory and couldn't get away, then he offered me one of his awful landgrab cities for peace, which I took and burned down because it was in an awful spot, then built a new one a couple tiles away.

Then later in the game he decided since he had no hope of beating me that he would go after some city states (aside from the one that had a 1 tile peninsula chokepoint that he had been trying to conquer for thousands of years). so he took three city states, and as soon as the third one was taken I declared war, freed all of them, and sacked his capital (which had a ton of marshes and floodplains nearby it). And the best part is that everybody else hated Genghis too, so the only people who were even a little steamed were the people from across the ocean for whatever reason.

I also had this going on while he was trying to take city states, made me giggle

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

JayMax posted:

The best are high-yield tiles with a minimal improvement effect. Sheep and cows are great for this, since the base yield is very high, so it will be a great tile with the GP improvement on it, and the pasture effect is negligible so you're not missing out on much.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

The Wicked Wall posted:

Some of the early wonders seem like they're good no matter what in most situations though unless you're going super early aggression, like Great Library seems good for both Science and Culture victories because the free tech means you can immediately start working on the Parthenon and get quick tourism. What wonders are indispensable enough that they're worth rushing? Or is it still better to just grow early with little bits and pieces?

The Great Library is awesome, but people talking about optimization and stuff don't mention it because, with very few exceptions, you can't get it on higher difficulties. It'll be built by an AI between turns 27 and 40, and it's usually just not feasible to get it that quickly yourself.

As far as other early wonders go, you can usually get the Oracle as the AI doesn't seem to prioritize it as much anymore, and I think that one's probably worth having (but I don't change my city off of growth focus while building it). I also had some pretty spectacular success using a Terracotta Army as Shaka. The Colossus and Petra are both great because the extra trade route will benefit you all game and obviously Petra is nuts for other reasons, but if any AI civ has a city that can build Petra you really need to prioritize it to have a chance at it. Chichen Itza is amazing if you can get it, but it's almost as hard to get a hold of as the Great Library in my experience.

I'm unsure of the Parthenon's value, frankly. 2 extra tourism every turn for almost the entire game seems pretty useful, but since most of your tourism gain comes in huge leaps and bounds toward the end of the game when you start getting hotels and airports and theming bonuses and stuff, how many turns does a few hundred tourism built up on your neighbors in the early game actually cut off of your victory time? Can anyone more familiar with cultural victories than I give us some idea?

Triskelli posted:

I do think Neuschwanstein Castle is a good later wonder to grab for the huge bonus to happiness.

Also, I don't think I have ever seen an AI build Neuschwanstein, so you can take your sweet time getting to it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Human Crouton posted:

Do you have enough money to bribe someone else to attack him?

I'm sure I do, I'm clearing 150 gold per turn and was just reinvesting it to fill out my 16 trade routes with cargo ships. The Shoshone built the Great Wall and have an enormous military so setting these two chucklefucks against each other would warm my cold Venetian heart.

Do you take a diplomatic hit to instigate war like that? Does it drag you into it as well, if I bribe the Shoshone to attack him?

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Parthenon is more useful for generating a glob of culture early than it is tourism--it's the replacement for the old function of Terracotta Army.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JayMax posted:

Just to put the good advice already given in the words that convinced me. I used to put GP improvements on desert and snow tiles early in the game's life because it would be the best use of the improvement if every tile was being worked and upgraded. But that almost never happens, and would only happen near the end of the game.

The best way to think of it is: "Make sure the tile pays for itself." Getting +6 science is nearly useless if you have to lose out on gaining several points of population that could help your science more in the long run. So just make sure that the tile pays for itself, or nearly for itself in food. That way you can gain the GP benefit and gain population. My favorite is empty grasslands not next to a river, followed by cattle, and then sheep as others have suggested.

Peas and Rice posted:

Do you take a diplomatic hit to instigate war like that? Does it drag you into it as well, if I bribe the Shoshone to attack him?

No. It's a back room dealing. Nobody will ever know.

Edit: And if you ever have Bismarck in a game, he will declare war on anybody for like $5. He's my favorite neighbor.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a mod that allows you to take on the special buildings/units of a conquered civ? If I defeat the Romans I should be able to build legions, and if I defeat the Netherlands, I should "unlock the secrets" of the Polder.

• Locked thread