Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Optimize and scale class is heavily recommended for VCAP-DCA, and it qualifies you for the DCV, so if you don't have your VCP class and have enough experience to install / configure VMware, I'd take that class. For me, it was cheaper than Fast Track or ICM. It runs you through a bunch of command line stuff you probably don't use on a day to day basis like ESXTop or PowerCLI.

VMware recommends two classes for VCAP DCD but I hear just reading http://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-Design-Forbes-Guthrie/dp/1118407911 a few time might get you through. There's also an official cert guide now: http://www.amazon.com/VCAP5-DCD-Off...ywords=vcap+dcd thoguh you might want to order direct from Pearson since their eBook version has extra test prep. (The book does come with a 70% off code for the ebook and extra test prep.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Tried to upgrade 5.1u1 to 5.5 on my toy at work today. It kept hanging at the same spot and when I looked online for an answer I came across this:

http://www.tinkertry.com/best-parts-of-vmwares-esxi-5-5-free-hypervisor-rely-on-vcenter-which-isnt-free-uh-oh/

Apparently the vsphere client software can't do much on 5.5 and the web client isn't free.

I also found out one the onboard intel nics are no longer supported so I guess I'm not upgrading.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Why do most virtualization engineers feel the need to over-complicate every possible thing?

Side not: Is it true in 5.5 avamar appliances VDP nodes can replicate between each other. Haven't worked too much with the VDP in many environments but this makes it worth taking a second look if true.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Why do most virtualization engineers feel the need to over-complicate every possible thing?
Same reason as any other engineer: to go on future job interviews and brag about the complex and difficult environments they've had to design and manage.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Same reason as any other engineer: to go on future job interviews and brag about the complex and difficult environments they've had to design and manage.

Don't they expect some "Well why did you make it more complicated by doing X, Y, Z"? Or am I just overthinking.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

What part are you saying is over-complicated?

Misogynist posted:

Pretty much this. You get some people that want to flashy crap because they think it is fun, and don't actually give a poo poo about long term code development. Getting engineers that want to do the boring stable development can be hard. You get a pretty good view into this with the recruiting tactics of places like Facebook and Google. They really try to sell the fun aspect of working at the company. Other places end up using the same tactics. That is a lot of the mentality in Silicon Valley right now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DevNull posted:

Pretty much this. You get some people that want to flashy crap because they think it is fun, and don't actually give a poo poo about long term code development. Getting engineers that want to do the boring stable development can be hard. You get a pretty good view into this with the recruiting tactics of places like Facebook and Google. They really try to sell the fun aspect of working at the company. Other places end up using the same tactics. That is a lot of the mentality in Silicon Valley right now.
"I managed infrastructure at scale on AWS using all the Netflix tools for a company with 1,000 users"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

thebigcow posted:

Tried to upgrade 5.1u1 to 5.5 on my toy at work today. It kept hanging at the same spot and when I looked online for an answer I came across this:

http://www.tinkertry.com/best-parts-of-vmwares-esxi-5-5-free-hypervisor-rely-on-vcenter-which-isnt-free-uh-oh/

Apparently the vsphere client software can't do much on 5.5 and the web client isn't free.

I also found out one the onboard intel nics are no longer supported so I guess I'm not upgrading.

I'm fairly convinced that VMware doesn't really want the "free ESXi license" crowd anyway. Given VMware's pattern of "we have no idea who actually uses VMware, who's willing to pay for features, and how much they're willing to pay", this was probably an intentional decision.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, with vCenter Web Client getting OSX support I have to ask: Does the web client provide some sort of console view, or is it only for management? I haven't played with it myself at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Hey, with vCenter Web Client getting OSX support I have to ask: Does the web client provide some sort of console view, or is it only for management? I haven't played with it myself at all.
Console access done via a client integration browser plugin, just like the old VMware Server 2.0 web interface.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evol262 posted:

I'm fairly convinced that VMware doesn't really want the "free ESXi license" crowd anyway. Given VMware's pattern of "we have no idea who actually uses VMware, who's willing to pay for features, and how much they're willing to pay", this was probably an intentional decision.

It was not an intentional decision. It actually is a pain in the rear end for a lot of devs at VMware as well. I don't have to worry about a license, but I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with setting up a vCenter VM for running my single ESX box that I work on. Luckily, I don't need many features through the client at all, so I just connect with Workstation 95% of the time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DevNull posted:

It was not an intentional decision. It actually is a pain in the rear end for a lot of devs at VMware as well. I don't have to worry about a license, but I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with setting up a vCenter VM for running my single ESX box that I work on. Luckily, I don't need many features through the client at all, so I just connect with Workstation 95% of the time.

This is even more :psyduck: if it was/is used internally

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good rundown of when vCenter Server is preferable over VCSA and vice versa? Pros/cons list, or management summary or something. If VMware has one on their site I'll be damned if I can find it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

What part are you saying is over-complicated?

No not your guy's code or anything, I meant in terms of what Misogynist said

Martytoof posted:

Is there a good rundown of when vCenter Server is preferable over VCSA and vice versa? Pros/cons list, or management summary or something. If VMware has one on their site I'll be damned if I can find it.

If you are doing straight Server virtualization in SMB <100 hosts <3000 vm's, aside from no VUM and some 3rd party tools and additional services that may want to install on vCenter server. The appliance is the way to go.

I wonder if they are still on track for "no thick client" in 6.0

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2013/05/physical-or-appliance-upgrading-to-vcenter-server-5-1.html

the vcenter server has a bunch of capabilities that you probably won't need (like ipv6)

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
If you've got >1 site, Linked Mode so you can manage more than one vCenter with one sign in is really nice and bordering on mandatory. The vCenter appliance can't do Linked Mode since requires Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) and the VCSA is Linux.

There's also some restrictions around VMware View so don't use it if you're planning on virtual desktops anytime soon.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

El_Matarife posted:

If you've got >1 site, Linked Mode so you can manage more than one vCenter with one sign in is really nice and bordering on mandatory. The vCenter appliance can't do Linked Mode since requires Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) and the VCSA is Linux.

There's also some restrictions around VMware View so don't use it if you're planning on virtual desktops anytime soon.

^ That mainly, you can work around it but you cause more headache than it is worth.

For straight up Server Virtualization for SMB it is amazing

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

How painful is it to migrate from vCenter Server to VCSA?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I believe there's currently no migration path. There's a lot of interest though, now that it's workable with larger environments.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugggggh, I wonder what is keeping VMware from certifying a Mac Mini for HCL. I sincerely hope it's not just the fact that the Mac Pro exists.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Ugggggh, I wonder what is keeping VMware from certifying a Mac Mini for HCL. I sincerely hope it's not just the fact that the Mac Pro exists.
It's not vmware.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I was worried about. Dammit Apple :|

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If the Mini had at least dual-Ethernet capability, I think it'd be pretty compelling. PCI-E expanders are available via Thunderbolt, otherwise, so it's even somewhat feasible to expect 10Gbit connectivity for a Mini.
It's just rather cost-prohibitive by this stage, and you still don't have reliable memory.

Edit: Okay, more compelling. It's pretty awesome as it is.
Edit2: Also I don't know if Thunderbolt works at all when booting into ESXi, so perhaps this is all limited to Hosted hypervisors for the time being.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any gigabit USB adapters on the HCL? I know that sounds dumb but you could always add another NIC that way. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. I kind of want to virtualize OSX soon since I'm the only one at my new company who does any OSX work at all, and having a VM that people dick around in would be super useful to teaching people how to do poo poo like Active Directory integration, etc.

I'm not seriously going to buy a Mac Pro just to do this, but a Mac Mini wouldn't be out of the question to add to our existing vSphere setup.

Obviously you can get this running since people are running ESXi 5+ on their Mac Mini so HCL be damned I think I'm going to give it a shot if I can get someone to spring for a Mini and some RAM.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Martytoof posted:

Are there any gigabit USB adapters on the HCL? I know that sounds dumb but you could always add another NIC that way. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. I kind of want to virtualize OSX soon since I'm the only one at my new company who does any OSX work at all, and having a VM that people dick around in would be super useful to teaching people how to do poo poo like Active Directory integration, etc.

I'm not seriously going to buy a Mac Pro just to do this, but a Mac Mini wouldn't be out of the question to add to our existing vSphere setup.

Obviously you can get this running since people are running ESXi 5+ on their Mac Mini so HCL be damned I think I'm going to give it a shot if I can get someone to spring for a Mini and some RAM.

Thunderbolt NIC adapter is supported and works in ESXi automatically. Biggest problem is only 2 DIMM slots.

I'm not sure Apple wouldn't want it on the HCL. At least the Server version.

It's more expensive, but it also holds resale value.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I don't think you can run OSX under ESXI on a mac anyway, it requires the hypervisor to virtualise access to the hardware TPM in a mac, so you might need to use fakesmc.kext to get it to work

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You definitely can; VMware explicitly lists OSX 10.7 and 10.8 revisions as valid guests under certain ESXi versions. For example:

http://blogs.vmware.com/guestosguide/2013/09/mac-os-x-10-8-5.html

Also there are a number of KB articles from various sites on how to do achieve a proper installation. I'm guessing that the trusted computing thing is somehow handled by ESXi itself.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03376943

I think from a technical standpoint you can probably run OSX on any vendor's ESXi hardware, but legally you're only allowed to run it on Apple bare metal per Apple's EULA. I'd rather be safe than sorry on the legal front on my first day of a new job :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 8, 2013

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

theperminator posted:

I don't think you can run OSX under ESXI on a mac anyway, it requires the hypervisor to virtualise access to the hardware TPM in a mac, so you might need to use fakesmc.kext to get it to work

5.1 had an issue emulating the SMC which was fixed in an engineering special (released in a thread on the communities forum), 5.5 shows support for desktop and server up to 10.8.5, install instructions here:
http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/MacOSX_10_8.html

Requires Mac hardware (for licensing compliance only I think).

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think from a technical standpoint you can probably run OSX on any vendor's ESXi hardware, but legally you're only allowed to run it on Apple bare metal per Apple's EULA. I'd rather be safe than sorry on the legal front on my first day of a new job :q:

That is correct.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We're a smallish company looking at DR scenarios. We've been quoted for a SAN at each of our two sites with replication between them. The quote is too high and will not be approved.

We run vSphere, is the vSphere replication feature worth looking at? Can I use it to replicate VMs from the SAN at Site 1 to the internal storage of a server in Site 2?

Swink fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 8, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

That is correct.
Wait I thought you could virtualize it, just limited to tuning on apple hardware?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Swink posted:

We're a smallish company looking at DR scenarios. We've been quoted for a SAN at each of our two sites with replication between them. The quote is too high and will not be approved.

We run vSphere, is the vSphere replication feature worth looking at? Can I use it to replicate VMs from the SAN at Site 1 to the internal storage of a server in Site 2?

Yes. You need to make sure that your internal storage will be able to handle it from a capacity and performance perspective, or if it's acceptable to only run a percentage of your workload there in a DR scenario.

You'll also need to determine what is an acceptable RTO/RPO.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Wait I thought you could virtualize it, just limited to tuning on apple hardware?

I read his statement wrong. You can virtualize it, but you have to be running the virtual environment on Apple hardware.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

I read his statement wrong. You can virtualize it, but you have to be running the virtual environment on Apple hardware.
Right exactly. It's pretty typical fruit behavior to write the license that way (no vdi/compute on OTS x86!) and then proceed to no have anything current on the HCL.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In my opinion, it's the biggest indicator that Apple has said "gently caress the enterprise." If they wanted in the enterprise, they'd let you virtualize OSX in a real way. Even if I wanted to go full balls out Apple products, I couldn't buy Apple servers to run VMware.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

In my opinion, it's the biggest indicator that Apple has said "gently caress the enterprise." If they wanted in the enterprise, they'd let you virtualize OSX in a real way. Even if I wanted to go full balls out Apple products, I couldn't buy Apple servers to run VMware.

To be fair, the XServe wasn't exactly a top seller, and OSX Server is questionably useful. They sell Minis with Server for business that want to be Mac-y, and they do a lot better in that market. OSX VDI doesn't offer them a lot.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had issues getting the web client console on the 5.5 VCSA vCenter working on my home lab, and it was a combination of:

1) I somehow neglected to setup reverse zones on my Windows DNS config
2) I was using the esxi unlocker for running MacOS X clients
3) There is a bug that HTML5 console (needed for Macs) doesn't initialize after a restart because of a missing Java home setting.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/09/html5-vm-console-does-not-work-after.html

I uninstalled the esxi unlocker and did that fix and it is working now. I figured someone else might run into this too.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

IMHO you'd lose a lot of critical capabilities if you'll be running VMs off of local storage - unless the DR plan includes manually migrating the VMs to other hosts at the DR site, then spinning up, etc. Even then you won't be able to do drs and all that.

I have a smallish client (10 VMs, under 100 users) that's using a barracuda appliance to back up to :yaycloud: that seemed pretty affordable to me, under $1/gb if I recall correctly and they could spin up at barracuda for DR.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

IMHO you'd lose a lot of critical capabilities if you'll be running VMs off of local storage - unless the DR plan includes manually migrating the VMs to other hosts at the DR site, then spinning up, etc. Even then you won't be able to do drs and all that.

It sounds like he only has one host at DR. If that's the case, he's not losing anything (but a bill for SAN hardware).

I tried vSphere replication when it first became available and it was clunky and unreliable. It might be better now. Veeam has its issues, but its replication is just fine. We actually fail over our VMs and run from DR once per quarter, so I know it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DevNull posted:

Isn't that what I wrote? :raise:

Not that I'm disagreeing with anything said here.