Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Johnny Segment posted:

Well my inability to read is probably the main cause of my shame but I was told this one first hand so it's at least original to me.
Apologies, I shall slink off.

Don't slink off, just edit your last post so you don't get probated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My coworker who used to work at an obstetricians told me she totally had mothers who didn't speak English name their daughters "Female" (fe-mah-lay) because they thought that was their name because it was on the paperwork! I pointed out that no one is that stupid, women have their baby's name picked out way in advance and just because they don't speak English doesn't mean they're dumb, but she swore it happened. Liar.

Anyway, a few more names I've picked up:
--Vickie Hickey
--Victor Victor
--Mani M. Mani (I hope the M stands for Mani)
--Mohammad Mohammad

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

--Mohammad Mohammad

This one happens kind of frequently. I know it's just a cultural thing, but the thought of someone naming their child "Jesus Jesus Lastname" or "Moses Moses Lastname" is equally humorous to me, and I don't understand Islamic culture enough to understand why "Mohammad Mohammad" is a name that doesn't raise eyebrows.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

My coworker who used to work at an obstetricians told me she totally had mothers who didn't speak English name their daughters "Female" (fe-mah-lay) because they thought that was their name because it was on the paperwork! I pointed out that no one is that stupid, women have their baby's name picked out way in advance and just because they don't speak English doesn't mean they're dumb, but she swore it happened. Liar.

My gf has a good friend that has told the "La-a" story from a first hand perspective in my presence more than once. I haven't called her on it, because that would make me the rude jackass, but it does certainly color my opinion of her and her values.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dyaaah I heard that!

:( He was one of the good ones. Give me Les Lye and Billy Van and I can film any story you can come up with.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

My gf has a good friend that has told the "La-a" story from a first hand perspective in my presence more than once. I haven't called her on it, because that would make me the rude jackass, but it does certainly color my opinion of her and her values.

I don't get the thought process of the people who make this poo poo up. I mean, I can understand why people would believe it and pass it along, because they're racist. But most urban myths have a vague, distant, unverifiable source, whereas with this one it's always either the person telling the story or someone they know well, like a close friend or an immediate family member. So either the person telling the story is knowingly and willfully making poo poo up, or the person who told them is. Do they expect people to not believe them, and try to make it as awkward as possible for someone to actually call them out?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much all of the 'la-a' and 'abcde' and 'orangejello' stories are basically people going "Ha ha those silly low-class black people!" and it sucks and it's stupid.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CJacobs posted:

orangejello
Why do people always spell it that way in these things? It's clearly supposed to be "derived" from Angelo, so you should have Orangelo, and LeMongelo's basis in the Black emulation of French is totally lost when you render it as "Lemonjello". Are they missing the point of their own puns? If you're going to be racist, you should at least do it right. :regd09:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Oct 7, 2013

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Just once, I'd like to hear one of these stories passed around with a white sounding name like P@rick or Am&a.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I used to have a job in the mailroom of the Purdue computer science building. There were a lot of foreign professors that worked there, so there were a lot of unusual sounding names, but by far and away the best had to be one Dixit. Not pronounced "dicks-it", but "dick poo poo". Thankfully we never had to interact with him much because keeping a straight face when using his name was pretty hard.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I knew a girl called Vicky and after years of knowing her I found out it wasn't short for Victoria, it was short for Victory. :patriot:

Also, it's more of a nickname, but my grandma farted when she was 9 and earned the nickname "Tootie." She kept that nickname for 72 years and her tombstone reads "Tootie". RIP grandma, you farted.

--Mohammad Mohammad

Huh. I met someone by that name too. Good ol' Mo-Mo.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

Also, it's more of a nickname, but my grandma farted when she was 9 and earned the nickname "Tootie." She kept that nickname for 72 years and her tombstone reads "Tootie". RIP grandma, you farted.

This reminds me of my great-uncle Tata. One of the grandkids called him Tata and it stuck. It's absolutely absurd. "Tata's coming over later." "Do you know what Tata wants for dinner?"

Also, I went to school with a kid named Hyman. I know, it's an old name, whatever. It was incredibly awkward.

Oh. And my friends call our Mohammed Mohammed Momo, too. I guess we're unoriginal!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Angry Walrus posted:

I used to have a job in the mailroom of the Purdue computer science building. There were a lot of foreign professors that worked there, so there were a lot of unusual sounding names, but by far and away the best had to be one Dixit. Not pronounced "dicks-it", but "dick poo poo". Thankfully we never had to interact with him much because keeping a straight face when using his name was pretty hard.
Huh, so this guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. :rolleye:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Had a girl named Taryn Butts in my class. Nice girl, and I thought it was a bit cooler than anyone else did.

Also, living in Pennsyltuckey, you get some wonderful Dutch and German names, like Boob, Butts, and Durr. The best was when they'd be hyphenated.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Huh, so this guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. :rolleye:

That loving guy.

On topic, there's a woman at my work named Mags, short for MALGORZATA.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Antifa Spacemarine has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jan 1, 2021

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Not necessarily a bad name but there is a vendor who comes into my store named Marty McFly and he's definitely older than the movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Elohssa Gib posted:

Not necessarily a bad name but there is a vendor who comes into my store named Marty McFly and he's definitely older than the movie.

Well yeah, with all that time travel, of course he's not going to be the same age as when he started.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
My name is Diggory Carl Walter Waddle. My sister? Peralandra Angelene Sophia Ruby Waddle.

:smuggo:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
So, not just a science-fiction reference, but a misspelled science-fiction reference?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

So, not just a science-fiction reference, but a misspelled science-fiction reference?

Look man I don't know how to spell my sisters name

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I work as a guitar teacher in Main Line Philadelphia and I've been thankful that my students have all had reasonable names given the financial status of my area (wealthier people get whimsical with naming their children).

One day I was strolling through a nearby store one day and overheard a mom calling for her young son, Bismarck. We've overlapped all the special names and leapt forward to German nobility.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
How long do you think until we see a Hisenburg goons?

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Austrian mook posted:

How long do you think until we see a Hisenburg goons?

Given the number of people who watched the show to its completion and still thought Walter was the good guy, I'd say this is a distinct possibility :negative:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Dudeabides posted:

One day I was strolling through a nearby store one day and overheard a mom calling for her young son, Bismarck. We've overlapped all the special names and leapt forward to German nobility.

Maybe they were just very fond of North Dakota.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

All on Black posted:

Given the number of people who watched the show to its completion and still thought Walter was the good guy, I'd say this is a distinct possibility :negative:

:stare: what?

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

I don't have any photographic evidence but I have definitely encountered people who were rooting for Walter the whole time. Maybe they didn't pay enough attention? Who knows.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I guess this isn't so much terrible as much as awesome, but this guy who works at the local Chinese food joint is named Jackie Chan.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dick Champion, works with wood.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

My name is Diggory Carl Walter Waddle. My sister? Peralandra Angelene Sophia Ruby Waddle.

:smuggo:

Are you guys from Hogwarts?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

bringmyfishback posted:

Are you guys from Hogwarts?

Both Diggory and Perelandra are CS Lewis references - Diggory was the first name of Professor Plummer, the boy who brought the White Witch into Narnia and owned the wardrobe the four Pevensie kids got into. Perelandra is the second book in the Space Trilogy (and possibly the best of the three, though I also very much loved Out of the Silent Planet).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ButWhatIf posted:

Both Diggory and Perelandra are CS Lewis references - Diggory was the first name of Professor Plummer, the boy who brought the White Witch into Narnia and owned the wardrobe the four Pevensie kids got into. Perelandra is the second book in the Space Trilogy (and possibly the best of the three, though I also very much loved Out of the Silent Planet).

Yeah this is spot on. The worst part of having such an obscure name is loving everyone remembers me. It's the worst running up in a store and having someone go OH HEY! And having not a drat clue who the gently caress they are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I delivered pizza a couple of times to a guy named Thaddeus Potter.
It was on his driver's license and everything. He was super nice, a great tipper, and had hair that would make Robert Smith jealous.

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
I have heard several terrible names over the years. I have a cousin whose first name is Blissangel. My sister had a teacher in elementary school whose maiden name was Karen Bear. The only male substitute teachers at that school were named Mr. Man and Mr. Mean. I had a substitute teacher when I was a junior in high school who claimed that he had subbed for a teacher at another school named Ms. Boner. He said he had always wondered why she never changed her name.

I had never known the story behind the name Le-a or the racist chain letter it originated from until I read the OP and found the Snopes article on it. About a year ago, my best friend's mom (an elementary school teacher) told me and my family her own Le-a story. She actually had the nerve to claim that one her new students was named La-a. She specifically mentioned that the student was a black girl. Knowing nothing about the racist connotations of the name, we were skeptical of the story because, oddly enough, she never provided any proof that the girl actually existed, but still thought it was pretty funny. While my friend's mom had said some racist poo poo in the past, I always wrote it off as her being a loving idiot. I now believe that the fact the she told us this bullshit story proves she's a stupid racist bitch.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

I was more making a joke about the length and preposterousness of the names, but yeah.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Silly Hippie posted:

This reminds me of my great-uncle Tata. One of the grandkids called him Tata and it stuck. It's absolutely absurd. "Tata's coming over later." "Do you know what Tata wants for dinner?"

Family nicknames can get really bizarre. My mother teaches in rural Louisiana, and one of her former students (who had a normal name otherwise) was appparently known to his family as Twoberry. His mother's explanation was that "he only likes two berries," which needless to say did not really clear things up. This kid was a fairly rough special-ed student, so his having a goddamn Elfquest nickname at home is still sadly hilarious to me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Um... typo?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

YourHeadaSplode414 posted:

I had a substitute teacher when I was a junior in high school who claimed that he had subbed for a teacher at another school named Ms. Boner. He said he had always wondered why she never changed her name.

Boner is probably an anglicised form of the name Böner. Which, for obvious reasons, is usually anglicised as Boehner or Boener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Nope!