Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

As near as I can tell, very rarely. It's kind of disappointing. I've seen more theocracies raised than Republics, but republics is definitely something that pops up from time to time..... To be honest, I'm not even sure what the mechanic is for an AI republic suddenly springing into existence.

I know with a theocracy, it's usually some guy with Free Investiture stuck an unwanted relative into a Bishopric, and then someone else decided Mr. Now a Bishop would make one hell of a King, and started a faction for him. With Republics, though, I just don't know. The city has to become the main part of the county, and then that count has to become a duke, somehow. It'd take someone savvier about the AI than I am to figure this one out.

Can't Peasant Rebellions that succeed form Republics sometimes?

Not that Peasant Rebellions that succeed are very common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Any idea if this can only happen once in a game? Or if it can trigger if Shiite Islam has been exterminated? Sort of like a rebirth of the religion?

I've never seen it happen twice, but it's a pretty rare event to begin with.

Dallan Invictus posted:

As I recall, a) you only get De Jure claims on counties, and b) you need a certain level of Crown Authority to use a De Jure claim if you only have the kingdom and not the duchy. I don't play vanilla so someone else might have to check whether you'll need Medium or High.

A is true, B is not. De jure claims only let you grab a county at a time, no matter what level of title your de jure claim originates from. Emperors and kings have to claim their rightful territory one province at a time. Crown authority doesn't affect this at all in vanilla.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
However, if a duchy or kingdom is part of your de jure territory, you can invite a claimant and press their claim, which will make them your vassal without needing any marriage/title-granting shenanigans.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 7, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Any idea if this can only happen once in a game? Or if it can trigger if Shiite Islam has been exterminated? Sort of like a rebirth of the religion?

I've seen it trigger multiple times in a game, for what that's worth.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So once again I'm playing mainly with an eye towards an eventual EU4 conversion, but this time I want to fine-tune my exported mod more than last time-- which was mainly just putting Muslim Iberia in the Western tech group where it belonged and giving the HRE tag to elective Byzantium. This time around, I want to give ideas to some of the important export countries that don't exist in EU4. Is there a way to give a country in my exported mod another country's ideas? I'd especially like to give the Latin Empire something (would the Roman Empire ideas make sense) since I feel like their struggles in Anatolia are the most important historical event in the world that has nothing to do with me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Did another random scenario, this time as the Duke of Sardinia. It's about 905, things are going pretty well. On my second character now, married into owning Malta and conquered Mallorca and Menorca, so I'm also the Duke of Mallorca (gently caress you, Duke of Barcelona, I saw it first). At the start the only king level titles were the Pope and Gondar, but by this point a bunch of others have formed, four in Scandinavia, two in the British Isles, two in Russia, two in the Baltic, one in the steppes, one in South-Eastern Europe, four in the Middle East (including Anatolia), and one in Africa.

Early game I had some trouble with boats (what do you mean I have 0 Shipbuilding, we live on a loving island), but after saving up some tech points I now have Shipbuilding 2 so I can shuttle around my army in one piece. My first character was lustful, so I ended up with two bastard girls. I mat-married one of them off, so I'm hoping I see a bunch of Di Cagliari's doing cool poo poo on their own later in the game, while the other is like, 10 now. The first Pope of the game died and his son (newborn son no less) took over, which I've never had happen to me before. Right now I think I can keep my new vassals in check, but it looks pretty precarious, so it should be fun, especially if Barcelona decides to try and gently caress me up over Mallorca (a distinct possibility, those weasly fucks, I hope Navarra eats 'em).

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

catlord posted:

The first Pope of the game died and his son (newborn son no less) took over, which I've never had happen to me before.

I'd love to see a screenshot of this if possible.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I see your mention of a Son as Pope and raise with a Pope's Daughter as Pope.

Her father was a Pope so she became Pope at the same time that another Pope was elected. Leading to Popes ruling Popes.

It's such a weird bug that has been in since release. (Never remove it)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
My Viking hordes conquered Rome and every holding in it, but the current Pope is still 'Residing in Rome' according to his character screen, so I can only assume that the new Jarl keeps Pope Damasus I in his closet, and brings him out with an axe to his throat when the Italian lords start raising their levies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Somehow my character's son became King of Denmark. This is actually rather annoying since as soon as he inherits my main kingdom titles, all my cultural buildings are destroyed. Anyway out of this besides just killing him?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rynoto posted:

I see your mention of a Son as Pope and raise with a Pope's Daughter as Pope.

Her father was a Pope so she became Pope at the same time that another Pope was elected. Leading to Popes ruling Popes.

It's such a weird bug that has been in since release. (Never remove it)

I thought if the pope had children they became anti popes?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Sadly King Murchad the Great, King of Ireland, Wales, and Brittany has past away after over 50 years of golden rule. In his lifetime he unified Ireland, conquered Wales and Brittany, and saw his half-brother King of Scotland. At the end of his life he revoked the titles of several Earls in order to consolidate his Duchies under his own rule and passed out other lands to other Dukes to compensate. The great man went a little kooky in his old age.

Now his poo poo-head grandson, Tagd, has taken power and met with no less than 3 wars for independence, crown titles, or his own title. Some petty Earl in Tyconnell thought he'd make a better king and brought half of the country to his side. One of the dukes of Wales, a greedy bastard, staged a war to claim the King title. The Duke of Brittany is doing the same thing. Tagd is at 10/5 demesne limit thanks to all the inheriting he did and can't change any of the laws due to the triple civil wars.

Luckily, each of these war-mongers is getting their poo poo ruined. The Earl of Tyconnell is in prison, and the Dukes of Wales and Brittany soon to follow. Tagd has great things planned, but keeping his lessers in line is the first order of business.

(This morning was exciting)

When King Murchad was still alive, he gave the southern duchy of Wales and all its lands to one of his sons. That son had three sons and died of natural causes soon after. Each of the young children inherited one of the three counties in Wales. When the oldest, the new duke, came of age, he systematically went to war with, imprisoned, and executed his younger brothers to claim their lands before he was 20. Children. Dude is a stone killer.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Sharmat posted:

Somehow my character's son became King of Denmark. This is actually rather annoying since as soon as he inherits my main kingdom titles, all my cultural buildings are destroyed. Anyway out of this besides just killing him?

Don't they only get destroyed if his culture changes?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Playing CKII+ as a Catholic Emperor, and I've got my eye on Mending the Schism. I've got Jerusalem and Alexandria, and I think I can grab Antioch and Constantinople without too much difficulty, which just leaves Rome. My current character is very pious and virtuous, so if at all possible, I'd rather not have to go to war with the Pope to manage it. Is there any way to vassalize the Supreme Pontiff peacefully? Or is my only option to forge a claim and storm the Vatican?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

FiddlersThree posted:

Playing CKII+ as a Catholic Emperor, and I've got my eye on Mending the Schism. I've got Jerusalem and Alexandria, and I think I can grab Antioch and Constantinople without too much difficulty, which just leaves Rome. My current character is very pious and virtuous, so if at all possible, I'd rather not have to go to war with the Pope to manage it. Is there any way to vassalize the Supreme Pontiff peacefully? Or is my only option to forge a claim and storm the Vatican?

Well, if you're Free Investiture you can set-up an anti-pope and then put your pope on the throne.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FiddlersThree posted:

Does CK2+ add the ability for Catholics to mend the schism? It isn't in the regular game.

In any case, you can vassalize the Pope but not without going to war with the Pope at some point. You can do it by creating an AntiPope and then pressing his claim on the old Pope if you don't want to end up booting the Pope out of Rome and having him hate you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Allyn posted:

Don't they only get destroyed if his culture changes?

He left my court for some reason and has become Danish. My original culture is Scottish.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really wish they would just have culture specific buildings convert on culture change rather than ger destroyed, though I guess everyone would just marry Greek women and have cataphracts running around the British Isles by 1100. There must be some way of making it less frustrating though - maybe having the old culture buildings restored to their old level if you subsequently get a ruler of that culture in the province.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't see why having one guy educated in Denmark would rewrite the entire military tradition of a people anyway. Just let the building stay.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rincewind posted:

So once again I'm playing mainly with an eye towards an eventual EU4 conversion, but this time I want to fine-tune my exported mod more than last time-- which was mainly just putting Muslim Iberia in the Western tech group where it belonged and giving the HRE tag to elective Byzantium. This time around, I want to give ideas to some of the important export countries that don't exist in EU4. Is there a way to give a country in my exported mod another country's ideas? I'd especially like to give the Latin Empire something (would the Roman Empire ideas make sense) since I feel like their struggles in Anatolia are the most important historical event in the world that has nothing to do with me.

Update: The Latin Empire was destroyed forever mere hours later.

I'd still like to know how to do this, though, and fix things like Denmark winding up not named "Denmark" due to me seizing the crown, naming it after my idiot king, and then it being released in a Crusade as the independent Catholic state of "Odd".

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Amnistar posted:

Well, if you're Free Investiture you can set-up an anti-pope and then put your pope on the throne.

Dauntasa posted:

Does CK2+ add the ability for Catholics to mend the schism? It isn't in the regular game.

In any case, you can vassalize the Pope but not without going to war with the Pope at some point. You can do it by creating an AntiPope and then pressing his claim on the old Pope if you don't want to end up booting the Pope out of Rome and having him hate you.

Yeah -- As of 2.04, CKII+ lets regular Catholics attempt it. They incorporated this mod.

Oh. Huh.

NovaCoru posted:

The only real difference between the Catholic and Orthodox decisions is that I made it so you don't have to own Rome, so long as the Pope controls it. Otherwise the requirements and effects are exactly the same as the Orthodox decision, with some flavor text changed here and there.

Welp. Guess I should have read that first.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In regard to chat about vassal Republics: Less than a year after I formed Genoa and Pisa as republics, they are leading my vassal taxes with a 50% modifier. They're making like a third of my yearly income and I own like 3/4 of mainland Europe.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

What are the restrictions on marriage? I'm playing Norse and my half-sister is the Queen of Sweden (rather, the untypable Norse name for Sweden) and unmarried, and it won't let me marry her. When I go to her diplomacy screen and arrange marriage I can only get a marriage between her and a courtier or me and one of her courtiers.

I thought you could straight up marry siblings? So half siblings are even more permissible right?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Geokinesis posted:

I thought if the pope had children they became anti popes?
Essentially, yeah. If the pope has children, they get claims on the papacy, and 'claims on the papacy' is how the engine recognizes anti-popes.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I thought you could straight up marry siblings? So half siblings are even more permissible right?
Only if you're Zoroastrian or have the Divine Blood dynastic trait. Normally, no, you can't, half- or otherwise.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I thought you could straight up marry siblings?

Not unless you're Zoroastrian, you can't.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
And Calabria decided to take Malta from me. And the duchess blinded my son-in-law, after having him for like, a week. So, lesson learned, never get captured by the Greeks.

Edit: And the east has the Duchy of Sarkel, ruled by a Miaphysite Russian. I'm rooting for you, buddy!

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 8, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I don't know if I need a therapist, or just a bigger baby name book.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How normal is it for Norse to get out of West Europe/Novgorod? In my Zoroastrian game the Norse managed to take Azerbaijan and now Odin reigns in Baku.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

PrinceRandom posted:

How normal is it for Norse to get out of West Europe/Novgorod? In my Zoroastrian game the Norse managed to take Azerbaijan and now Odin reigns in Baku.

Very unusual but not unheard of. Unless it happened without the adventurer mechanics, in which case incredibly rare.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sometimes the Flavorful Titular Titles (sub-?)mod seems like it needs some tweaking. The dukes of Apulia inherited the single-county duchy of Brabant and something else, and ended up creating the Kingdom of Belgium, with its capital in Bari.

Also, I forget, is there a Norman melting pot event for Norse characters in France, either in vanilla or CK2+? I've been grabbing random Norsemen and landing them in France to see if it happens, but as of 932 no dice.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

PrinceRandom posted:

In the game I'm playing as Norse, an adventurer conquered Sicily, then Tripolitania from there. He was eventually crushed by a combination of Muslims and the Byzantine empire. His legacy is his old vassals in Tripolitania surviving, and then surviving the coming swarm of Islam by converting. North Central Africa in my game is culturally Norse Sunni, now.

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes the Flavorful Titular Titles (sub-?)mod seems like it needs some tweaking. The dukes of Apulia inherited the single-county duchy of Brabant and something else, and ended up creating the Kingdom of Belgium, with its capital in Bari.

Also, I forget, is there a Norman melting pot event for Norse characters in France, either in vanilla or CK2+? I've been grabbing random Norsemen and landing them in France to see if it happens, but as of 932 no dice.

I'm not sure if there's a noticeable event, but Normans start appearing around the same time that the Scandanavian identities form. In my game, despite owning most of France when it happened, Normans first appeared in my holdings in Cornwall, for whatever reason. They did, eventually, move around chaotically.

Of course, I'm running elective succession, so pretty much every branch of norsemen exist everywhere. My cultural map is a mess. (Especially with that one Andalusian province in the middle of France I can't get rid of)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PrinceRandom posted:

Pretty normal, in my experience. In my latest game the Ivarings converted to Christianity (the traitorous swine will be put to the sword for it). Still, I can't deny their badassery: one of their unlanded sons promptly sailed around europe, across the mediterranean, and over to Jerusalem, then carved out a kingdom from the vast bulk of the Abbasids. I can imagine how it went: "Hmm, this Christ guy sounds pretty cool, actually. What's that? 'Jerusalem,' you say? 'Infidels,' you say? Hold up, Imma just round up my homies from around the fjord and straighten this out right quick."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I had no end of trouble with the ilkhanate. I just couldn't mobilize troops fast enough to make a dent in those 100k horse archer doomstacks. So I stopped trying. I let them have the entire kingdom of mesopotamia, a trojan horse filled with norsemen, princes of the blood, and norse priests.

A few assassinations later, and we have the if you can't beat them, join them scenario:

Fylkir Hjalmar I, Ilkhan

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Fuligin posted:

I can imagine how it went: "Hmm, this Christ guy sounds pretty cool, actually. What's that? 'Jerusalem,' you say? 'Infidels,' you say? Hold up, Imma just round up my homies from around the fjord and straighten this out right quick."

Not too far off from the Norwegian Crusade, really.

Heimskringla posted:

"A young king just and kind,
People of loyal mind:
Such brave men soon agree,
To distant lands they sail with glee.
To the distant Holy Land
A brave and pious band,
Magnificent and gay,
In sixty long-ships glide away."

(It gets less gleeful later :ssh:)

Heimskringla posted:

"The Norsemen's king, the skalds relate,
Has ta'en the heathen town of Saet:
The slinging engine with dread noise
Gables and roofs with stones destroys.
The town wall totters too - it falls;
The Norsemen mount the blackened walls.
He who stains red the raven's bill
Has won - the town lies at his will."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

In my current game the Iberian Peninsula was first conquered by Francia, then taken back by Muslims, then Invaded by Norse adventurers. Setting the mapmode to Religious produces a beautiful, stripey rainbow there.

I was playing as Scandinavia and didn't even realize that this had happened until the new Petty King of most of the Iberian Peninsula tried to have me stabbed, then I tried to have him stabbed, then he tried to have me stabbed again and then I asked him to become my vassal and he was like "Okay" for reasons I cannot fathom.

Are they not supposed to get Distant Realm penalties when halfway across the world or some kind of "this dude just tried to have me stabbed" penalties or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dauntasa posted:

In my current game the Iberian Peninsula was first conquered by Francia, then taken back by Muslims, then Invaded by Norse adventurers. Setting the mapmode to Religious produces a beautiful, stripey rainbow there.

I was playing as Scandinavia and didn't even realize that this had happened until the new Petty King of most of the Iberian Peninsula tried to have me stabbed, then I tried to have him stabbed, then he tried to have me stabbed again and then I asked him to become my vassal and he was like "Okay" for reasons I cannot fathom.

Are they not supposed to get Distant Realm penalties when halfway across the world or some kind of "this dude just tried to have me stabbed" penalties or something?

I don't know but in my Scandinavia game adventurers didn't need much convincing to join my mega empire no matter how ridiculously far away they were. Had Norse Persia agree to bend the knee as soon as he had won the invasion, and the guy wasn't even part of my dynasty. Though I guess when you are surrounded by hordes and muslims joining the biggest empire around of your faith and culture is the smartest move.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I just won my first Great Holy War as Norse to take most of France, but now I can't launch another one. What's the cooldown on them? Is it only 'One Great Holy War per Fylkir', or do I just have to wait a certain number of years?

Based on this I suspect I thought it was 10 years:
pre:
crusade = {
	name = CB_NAME_CRUSADE
	war_name = WAR_NAME_CRUSADE
	sprite = 9
	truce_days = 3650
But the normal 'claim' CB has the same line, so that just seems to be the truce timer against that particular ruler rather than a CB cooldown. Anyone know?

Boing fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 8, 2013

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've just started my first game using CK2+ with the old gods expansion and I keep getting the "Some guy has built up an army and has gone out to capture some lands of his own" event with the "well, good luck!" response - but 3 or 4 times now the character has immediately attacked me!

This doesn't seem to make sense, nor is it very fair having a stack of 30k troops spawn in my capital at random. Is this intended or is it a bug? I've seen this alert plenty of times in other games but it's never resulted in me being the target - in this game it seems to happen all the time. Have I done something to cause this? Is it just a CK2+ thing? In previous games I would get attacked by "X's host" that spawned from another nation, but ones that spawned from my lands would always try to capture territory elsewhere.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chalks posted:

I've just started my first game using CK2+ with the old gods expansion and I keep getting the "Some guy has built up an army and has gone out to capture some lands of his own" event with the "well, good luck!" response - but 3 or 4 times now the character has immediately attacked me!

This doesn't seem to make sense, nor is it very fair having a stack of 30k troops spawn in my capital at random. Is this intended or is it a bug? I've seen this alert plenty of times in other games but it's never resulted in me being the target - in this game it seems to happen all the time. Have I done something to cause this? Is it just a CK2+ thing?

I've never encountered this and I play pretty much nothing but norse games with CK2+ these days. Adventurers from my court always target foreign places. Though I haven't updated CK2+ for ages, might be a new bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Boing posted:

I just won my first Great Holy War as Norse to take most of France, but now I can't launch another one. What's the cooldown on them? Is it only 'One Great Holy War per Fylkir', or do I just have to wait a certain number of years?

Based on this I suspect I thought it was 10 years:
pre:
crusade = {
	name = CB_NAME_CRUSADE
	war_name = WAR_NAME_CRUSADE
	sprite = 9
	truce_days = 3650
But the normal 'claim' CB has the same line, so that just seems to be the truce timer against that particular ruler rather than a CB cooldown. Anyone know?

It's probably 30 years and 1 per Fylkir, like crusades. 10 years is just the after-war truce, it sets some flags on character and globally to control that it's not called more than once. Look for line with those flag checks in CB files and flag duration is probably set in event of crusade start or end.

• Locked thread