Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Spacemarine9 posted:

I learned a startling fact about Egypt. They built pyramids right next to each other and also way up in the sky, and they put houses on top of them.

There were three pyramids, all a short walk away from each other, all towering high in the sky. And they all had floating islands at the very tip, too. It was weird.
I got two magic carpets and a Pharaoh set. I wanted a sandstorm in a bottle! :argh:

This looks like you used the map generator a guy made that lets you generate worlds like that.

Vatek posted:

They should add radio transmitters as a replacement for wires. The things I could accomplish with those... :allears:
The only problem I see with this is that you'd need something that can support a huge number of different wire groups/circuits, which isn't hard but can just be messy for people to play around with and might not really fit with the way the rest of the stuff in the game works, save for signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you get Mushroom Grass Seeds to drop from these bloody mushrooms, I just want my shroomite already!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I have an idea to make a Doom/Quake-themed loadout with the new explosive weapons and a shotgun, but I dunno what armor to use in the vanity slots to make it look 'close'. Going to be using Shroomite stuff for the actual gear, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I have an idea to make a Doom/Quake-themed loadout with the new explosive weapons and a shotgun, but I dunno what armor to use in the vanity slots to make it look 'close'. Going to be using Shroomite stuff for the actual gear, though.

Wood Helmet, with Jungle Shirt and green-and-black dyed Crimson Greaves would get you the Quake guy's design pretty well.

For the Doomguy, I'd say a Meteor Helmet, Mythril Chainmail and Greaves, with Lime/Black dye on the helmet and green dye on the armor.

I haven't tested any of this, though, so the dyes may completely gently caress up the look.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Requesting pictures of said outfits.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

The Colonel posted:

Jesus christ, I fought the Golem eight times and I came out with a Heat Ray, an Eye of the Golem, and two Demonic Golem fists, and no Picksaw. :bang:

I've never used a character editor before, but goddamn, I'm not going through the process of finding the temple again, fighting Plantera again, and fighting the Golem eight times again.

I fought him multiple times to get that damned Heat Ray. I will trade you one of the two Picksaws I got for that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Aren't you guys always like "hardmode bosses are seriously easy"
Because I cannot beat a single one. Not the metal eyes, not the metal worm, not the metal skull, no dice.
How the hell are you supposed to dodge this poo poo, there's lasers everywhere and everything rams you so fast.
My world has corruption instead of Crimson so I can't get that golden shower thing everyone loves, and I don't really feel like going to another world for crimson hardmode stuff. My gear is paladium armor, wings, and a few toys like the dao of pow, an upgraded lightsaber, a nimbus cloud, cursed flames tome, and exploding arrows and bullets. I'm surviving the underground corruption and hallow well enough to take home some souls and stuff, but against bosses I cannot win. What's the trick? Do I have to upgrade to higher armor? Is there a dodging technique? Or do I have to build an arena and a bunch of gizmos to even have a fighting chance?

I'd grind the dungeon but I have not figured out what to do about casters who just appear and then cover the entire screen with spells.

Dao of Pow with Palladium armor plus some potions is good enough for the destroyer. Reforge Shackles to Warding and you can just stand inside of him getting multiple hits with the Dao of Pow. Create a few layers of stone/etc that all the laser drones can't shoot through and you can use them to harvest hearts and stay alive. Most importantly until you get the stupidly broken end-game weapons is you need piercing weapons. Dao of Pow is the best, but demon scythe, crystal bullets or I think Jester Arrows, will work too.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't beaten the Destroyer in 1.2 yet, but the shroom spear you get from the fungus NPC would be very effective against him since it pierces through blocks by leaving leaving some mushrooms that persist a few seconds after you attack and do damage.

E: Yeah, as long as you have something strong enough to quickly defeat the little drones that come off the destroyer (like the shroom spear), 2 Nimbus rod clouds will annihilate him.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 8, 2013

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Teleporters are really fun.

Inspired by someone trying to make a death trap on this thread, I decided to rewire the ones on the server my friends and I are on into a death pit with lava and traps. With a switch beside the teleporter faking as a return switch but instead releases more jungle spiked ball traps onto you. If you don't have your mirror hotkeyed it can end very painfully! Then theres a switch at the other side of the wall a mystery switch where if you click it sets off the multiple dynamite bricks inside the walls. There were a lot of deaths. People trying to take a teleport and then getting melted by lava or getting pelted to death painfully by spiky balls. Then there was one person who clicked the switch. Curiosity killed the cat.

I am a terrible person :(

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I just put a teleporter at the bottom of a lake of lava next to a switch that will teleport you to another pad in the same lake of lava.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pr0phecy posted:

Requesting pictures of said outfits.

Turns out that dye is both more and less effective on different outfits than I expected, and that with the right combinations of dyes, the Jungle Shirt and Crimson Greaves worked better for both types. I'm still looking for a better dye for the Doomguy helmet, though.

For the Doomguy, that's a Lime/Black Dye, Green Dye, and Green/Black Dye (since I was lacking other dyes to experiment with and didn't want to farm them :effort:) on a Meteor Helmet, Jungle Shirt, and Crimson Greaves.

Whereas Quakedude came out far better with a simple Lime/Black, and a Wood Helmet. Copper (or some sort of dyed iron) would likely work almost as well, though.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 8, 2013

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013

lohli posted:

This looks like you used the map generator a guy made that lets you generate worlds like that.

Huh, I didn't know it could do that, I jjust used it to force a world to spawn as Crimson after getting three Corrupted ones in a row. I guess I just have just spammed Y through all the prompts.

I thought it was a terrain generation bug :shobon:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KataraniSword posted:

Turns out that dye is both more and less effective on different outfits than I expected, and that with the right combinations of dyes, the Jungle Shirt and Crimson Greaves worked better for both types. I'm still looking for a better dye for the Doomguy helmet, though.

For the Doomguy, that's a Lime/Black Dye, Green Dye, and Green/Black Dye (since I was lacking other dyes to experiment with and didn't want to farm them :effort:) on a Meteor Helmet, Jungle Shirt, and Crimson Greaves.

Whereas Quakedude came out far better with a simple Lime/Black, and a Wood Helmet. Copper (or some sort of dyed iron) would likely work almost as well, though.

An iron helmet would probably go well with the Quake outfit, since it has that 'tactical' helmet sorta look. The wood seems a tiny bit too blocky, even if the Quake models were a bit lackluster in detail.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

An iron helmet would probably go well with the Quake outfit, since it has that 'tactical' helmet sorta look. The wood seems a tiny bit too blocky, even if the Quake models were a bit lackluster in detail.

Yeah, I was thinking similar, but I'm not sure what color would give the iron that properly rusted look.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Also I'm not even sure that corruption matters for your fortress. It won't spread through crafted blocks of any type so your fortress can't become corrupted. Formerly the corruptor spit would mess up your fortress, but that isn't the case anymore.
Corruption/Crimson ANYWHERE NEAR your base makes housing stop being suitable is the thing. I had some get onto part of my skybridge project and I had to throw purification powder at it and cut a hole in it I bridged with wood platforms to make the rooms I'd just built be housing.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've just gotten to hardmode on my main world. I managed to get a frost staff, which is making things manageable right now. However, I can't find a demon altar for the life of me. Crimson ones are broken right now, and can't be destroyed at all. :(

Any tips for finding altars?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

TwystNeko posted:

So I've just gotten to hardmode on my main world. I managed to get a frost staff, which is making things manageable right now. However, I can't find a demon altar for the life of me. Crimson ones are broken right now, and can't be destroyed at all. :(

If you have crimson in your world all of your altars will be the crimson one. You are using the pwnhammer from the wall of flesh to break then right?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TwystNeko posted:

Start a new world, if the Crimson Altars are actually unbreakable. They completely replace demon altars in any world with Crimson.

EDIT: Yeah, you have to use the Pwnhammer or Hammush to smash 'em, nothing else works.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Velveteen posted:

Teleporters are really fun.

Inspired by someone trying to make a death trap on this thread, I decided to rewire the ones on the server my friends and I are on into a death pit with lava and traps. With a switch beside the teleporter faking as a return switch but instead releases more jungle spiked ball traps onto you. If you don't have your mirror hotkeyed it can end very painfully! Then theres a switch at the other side of the wall a mystery switch where if you click it sets off the multiple dynamite bricks inside the walls. There were a lot of deaths. People trying to take a teleport and then getting melted by lava or getting pelted to death painfully by spiky balls. Then there was one person who clicked the switch. Curiosity killed the cat.
Pictures please. How does this work?

LAY-ZX posted:

I just put a teleporter at the bottom of a lake of lava next to a switch that will teleport you to another pad in the same lake of lava.
Is this possible? I thought the lava would eat the mechanics.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 8, 2013

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Do I have to set the new world to hardmode as well?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TwystNeko posted:

Do I have to set the new world to hardmode as well?

Yeah. You can't destroy demon altars before the Wall of Flesh, even with a Pwnhammer.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

It's a lot easier making hobbit-holes now.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Zereth posted:

Corruption/Crimson ANYWHERE NEAR your base makes housing stop being suitable is the thing. I had some get onto part of my skybridge project and I had to throw purification powder at it and cut a hole in it I bridged with wood platforms to make the rooms I'd just built be housing.

You can counter this by dumping hallowed sand around. With enough Pearlsand hidden in the walls, you can even build working houses in the heart of a crimson pit.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I just killed Plantera and got a Pygmy staff. Is the Tiki set very good or should I just stick with the Spectre stuff and Magnet Sphere / Magical Harp everything?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dizz posted:

So I just killed Plantera and got a Pygmy staff. Is the Tiki set very good or should I just stick with the Spectre stuff and Magnet Sphere / Magical Harp everything?

Combined with a fake meteor biome and obsidian shield, a full legion of pygmies is integral to farming hardmode biome keys, it appears. They attack on their own, so you can go do other things like have a life instead of being bored out of your mind.

They're mostly a gimmick, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't know if this is well-known or not, but if you right-click the armor in your vanity slot, you can switch it with your actual armor.

I'm using it to swap out my Cobalt gear for Crimson when I get badly damaged and have to hunker down, and I have the thought of keeping a second multi-purpose armor headpiece in the social slots so I can swap set bonuses and change playstyles.

The only problem is you're actually doing the opposite of what your gear makes it look like you should be doing. Picture a dude in Turtle armor doing the magic healing spam of Spectre gear, for instance.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I finished my Specter armor and got a Mythical Shadowbeam. Holy crap I'm spamming near-instagib lasers that bounce off walls and heals me. Now if I could get my hands on a Magnet Sphere, drat drop rates! :argh:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

I finally lucked out and found 3 pyramids in 2 worlds, and got the sandstorm in a bottle and floating carpet. Only took me 35+ worldgens! :shepicide:

I was considering just reusing my old flying castle, but decided that I actually didn't like the organization of it and retooling it would be a huge hassle. Also it was asymmetrical in a bad way, so I didn't like the look of it. Plus everybody has a floating castle, its a cliche!

I shouldve just reused it, this is insane. If you or anybody really is interested I can post some kind of screen of the WIP and you all can laugh at my stupidity of undertaking this poo poo. This tree I'm making has already consumed nearly 2500 blocks of wood.
e: I might actually appreciate suggestions on how to implement some of my ideas actually, some of them seem rather... unfeasible atm

Trees are neat looking. I think i've sunk almost 10k wood into mine, and went on a hopefully final deforesting run last night in a new world which netted me another 5k which is hopefully enough to finish it, although one of the big parts left to do is the top of it so i'm expecting to bleed wood out like mad real quick. Thankfully it only takes one NPC to supress wyvern and harpy spawn. I used to do solely efficiency building with one giant apartment block, but decided to go all out on this once I found the living wood and leaf wands.

Starhawk64 posted:

So I finished my Specter armor and got a Mythical Shadowbeam. Holy crap I'm spamming near-instagib lasers that bounce off walls and heals me. Now if I could get my hands on a Magnet Sphere, drat drop rates! :argh:

Wait until you get the inferno fork. Magnet sphere is nice but it is not spammable since you can only have one sphere out at a time.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Just made a fresh world to see how long it would take to kill the golem: 4 hours total. We rushed into the crimson to break a shadow orb to enable meteorite spawning. Two meteorites got us two full sets of meteor armor with two space guns, which let us kill the dungeon guardian. We made a long tunnel with a tiny bit of lava at the bottom and went back to hell to kill the wall of flesh. We then ran to the dungeon and farmed up two magnet spheres and enough ectoplasm for spectre armor. After that, magnet spheres just obliterated everything. We tiered up to the best armor in the game by going copper->meteor->spectre. Pretty good fun!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Started playing this last night. Man does this game has an insane amount of content. I have a couple of questions though.

Do I need to worry about my house being attacked during a Blood Moon if I'm not there? Or do enemies just spawn around me?

Are iron doors better than wooden ones, or is it purely aesthetic?

And is Hardmode per character or per world?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 8, 2013

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

Started playing this last night. Man does this game has an insane amount of content. I have a couple of questions though.

Do I need to worry about my house being attacked during a Blood Moon if I'm not there? Or do enemies just spawn around me?

And is Hardmode per character or per world?

No blood moon is only a danger to where you are. If you are in your base then yes, but if you're out doing poo poo don't worry about it. Hardmode is per world. Materials for furniture is just an aesthetics thing.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So after a mishap during a Blood Moon I had an incident involving me with a Rocket launcher and Rocket IV's, I am building a new base of operations.
I've never really built underground but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Here's the entrance thus far...

Yes I am using white torches, not like I'm gonna use the diamonds for anything else. The soon-to-be-derelict base is to the right.

VVV I can jump and get it from below.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 8, 2013

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Make the trap... um, funnels only two blocks wide. That way the majority of the loot isn't too far away to get from your observation spot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there really no way to pause without Auto-pause? That's really annoying. I guess tabbing out might pause it though.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you get Mushroom Grass Seeds to drop from these bloody mushrooms, I just want my shroomite already!

I just found out the Nymph sells them and I felt quite silly spending so much time farming :downs:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I used TEdit to make my tree city + Honey comb houses + Sky dwelling. I'll post up pictures later.

After that, I'm just going to build floating castles connected by bridges, as my current tree setup can still be attacked by zombies, and NPCs won't live in hive homes. Which is a darned shame.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

canepazzo posted:

I just found out the Nymph sells them and I felt quite silly spending so much time farming :downs:

Do you mean the Dryad? The Nymph is the transformed version of the Lost Girl enemy.

I think she only sells them if she's in a mushroom biome, but I'm not 100% sure.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yep I meant the Dryad. She's kinda close to mushroom area, maybe it's that. Maybe I feel less foolish now.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone building into space tried making a massive outer enclosure to prevent wyverns from spawning? How big can a house be before it's deemed unsuitable for living in?

Jackard posted:

It's a lot easier making hobbit-holes now.

Very nice. The complex stuff can be cool, but personally I like the relatively simpler builds like this and that guide outhouse posted earlier. You could probably add some stone bricks above ground at the top to simulate the rest of the chimney, maybe have a small platformed hole on the right side with a rope, instead of that piece of floating dirt (which I think kinda ruins the effect.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I know I'll die if I go into the dungeon without killing a certain boss first, but can I climb over it instead? I was trying to go to the ocean/edge of the map and it's kinda in the way.

• Locked thread