Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Someone wearing a Luton Town shirt should be booed wherever they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think with hipster pubs it's less classism and more that they have a randomized ruleset enforced daily, because hipsters.

How much does a hipster weigh? An instagram.

Why are farmers cooler than Hipsters? Farmers can go a day without their Pitchfork.

Why do hipsters only use the microwave. They don’t like conventional ovens.

If a hipster falls in the forest and nobody's around... does it make a sound? Yes, but you've probably never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 25, 2013

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Bozza posted:

The difference is between large groups of football fans together, and one bloke in a Luton Town shirt getting booted out of some hipster pub because "no football shirts". The first, I would agree with you, but the second is almost always classism.

It's not always classism. I know of a few goth/rock pubs that have all sports colours banned.

Possibly because they're not the washed-out faded black uniform to that particular subculture :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well Addidas founder Adolf Dassler was a Nazi. Although it should be noted that his brother Rudolf Dassler, who founded PUMA, was much more passionate about Nazism than Adolf ever was.

The Dassler family have also done more to ruin world football (and the Olympics) than any other people on Earth, although that was continued by the French-Jewish Louis-Dreyfus family who took Adidas over in 2000, so we can't just blame the Nazis for that one.

(Yes, that is Louis-Dreyfus as in the actress who played Elaine in Seinfeld - she's richer than either Jerry Seinfeld or Larry David, and would have been if she'd never seen a penny of that Seinfeld Money)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Given what a rip off football shirts are these days can the working classes even afford them??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Given what a rip off football shirts are these days can the working classes even afford them??

I went in JJB sports once and jesus christ that place is expensive.

I can only assume chavs have to go to charity shops, but that begs the question of who buys the footie shirts and addidas trackie bottoms and big furry socks to tuck them into in the first place?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think they somehow manage to work their doors and the complex art of walking and drag themselves to Sports Direct and buy them discounted.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

glitchkrieg posted:

It's not always classism. I know of a few goth/rock pubs that have all sports colours banned.

Possibly because they're not the washed-out faded black uniform to that particular subculture :v:

Are you sure it's the sports and not the colours part that's the problem?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Puntification posted:

Are you sure it's the sports and not the colours part that's the problem?

:thejoke:

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Someone wearing a Luton Town shirt should be booed wherever they are.

I find it quite hard to argue with that view. More seriously though, I understand why certain establishments may ban football shirts and I don't really have a problem with it. I do have issues with the hijacking of national emblems by far right wing groups that has, in certain instances, lead to such a stigma being attached to those emblems to people being afraid of being misconstrued as racist just because they are patriotic. I know it is not something that effects everybody and I appreciate that the media tend to twist these things out of all proportion, but I do think it is a problem.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not quite, although in some places it was drat close, with some of them having >80% casualty rates.

Of course it also meant that the psychological effects of war (particularly as bloody and senseless a war as WWI was) were vastly multiplied, because every single person your unit lost was someone you'd known since childhood. The fact that they were barely trained and used as straight-up cannon fodder at the Somme (the Pals were used on the northern flanks of the attack to mask the main thrust from the regulars in the centre) only made it all the worse.

That's not quite true. By the time the Pals were at the Somme the proper regulars of the BEF had been all but wiped out. Indeed, the BEF as it refers to the regular army composed of soldiers recruited prior to the outbreak of hostilities (i.e. professionals) was finished by the end of the First Ypres in 1914. What happened at the Somme was that Regular divisions (mainly composed of post-1914 recruits) were supported by New Army and Territorial divisions (also mainly composed of post-1914 recruits). Besides which, the northern flank, at least in July 1916, was mainly Territorial divisions.

Kitchener's New Army, of which the Pals were a component, were actually pretty well trained. That was the point. Sure some that turned up in the later months of 1914 weren't brilliantly trained compared to later recruits (and certainty compared to the Old Contemptibles), but that's because of opposition to Kitchener's plans and lack of officers and equipment in the autumn of 1914. The New Army was certainly generally better trained and commanded than the Territorials, which is why Kitchener insisted upon creating it.

Anyway, the idea of recruiting from a particular area wasn't terrible (it's how the regular Army had been recruited for hundreds of years) it was just terrible on the scale of WWI recruitment. Besides which, while it was a scheme ran with by Kitchener but he, and by extension the Ministry of War, didn't originate it. You can place the blame at the feet of Henry Rawlinson, but given that he was commander of the Fourth Army at the Somme, it could be argued it was the least of his crimes.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jokes in D&D? A likely story (thanks to a lack of sleep it only occurred to me after I clicked send I was making the exact same joke back to you but was too lazy to change my post).

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Tommeh tried to intimidate Gary Moon (the person behind EDL News) by turning up to the wrong person's house and tweeting photos of a front door and someone's post.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 4, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's pretty much textbook intimidation. Why the gently caress would he do this on a public medium. It's practically demanding that the police arrest him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That is incredibly obvious intimidation, but I'll admit I cracked a smile at him tweeting "look familiar" and someone's front door to the wrong person, because the follow-up tweet would have to just be "...no?"

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Ladies and gentlemen: The Master Race!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Ladies and gentlemen: The Master Race!

It's like some kind of edgy sketch show piece titled 'Idiot Hitler and the Drunken SS'.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's pretty much textbook intimidation. Why the gently caress would he do this on a public medium. It's practically demanding that the police arrest him.

Also I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be stealing other people's post, especially if it's from the bank. He's a weapons grade fuckwit.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be stealing other people's post, especially if it's from the bank. He's a weapons grade fuckwit.

Messing with someone else's mail is a major crime in the USA. Is the same true in the UK?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Pekinduck posted:

Messing with someone else's mail is a major crime in the USA. Is the same true in the UK?

Yes.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Did real life reproduce the South Park NAMBLA joke?

"We've been fighting those sick bastards for the rights to edl.com for years!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"English Disco Lovers" is a Googlebombing campaign that took off earlier this year and briefly was the second result for "EDL" - this guy's probably deliberately using the term to pull it back into Google's rankings.

e: oh he might be an EDL guy complaining about UAF holding an English Disco Lovers event.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tesseraction posted:

"English Disco Lovers" is a Googlebombing campaign that took off earlier this year and briefly was the second result for "EDL" - this guy's probably deliberately using the term to pull it back into Google's rankings.

e: oh he might be an EDL guy complaining about UAF holding an English Disco Lovers event.

The English Disco Lovers are still going strong (and not UAF or SWP related as far as I know) and they are having a disco party. Casuals united, PR-geniuses that they are, decide to counter-protest a disco-night because it's hosted by people that don't like racists.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Since we're talking about English Disco Lovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPpbfs5Vn4
(1:56 is when it starts to go :dance:)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 7, 2013

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Pekinduck posted:

While it looks like blatant intimidation, unless he's stolen someone's mail or opened and read it without permission, then it's probably more down to various privacy issues (eg publishing someone's address online knowing that it could lead to violence against them/property).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Apparently it's all over. How will they fare without their Glorious Leader?

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/press-releases/quilliam-facilitates-tommy-robinson-leaving-the-english-defence-league/

e: their site is hosed under load so

Quilliam Foundation posted:

QUILLIAM FACILITATES TOMMY ROBINSON LEAVING THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE
POSTED IN: 2013, PRESS RELEASES | OCTOBER 8, 2013 AT 08:47
Quilliam is proud to announce that Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll, the leaders of the anti-Islamist group, the English Defence League (EDL), have decided to leave the group. Having set up the EDL, infamous for its street protests, in 2009, they wish to exit this group, because they feel they can no longer keep extremist elements at bay.
    Tommy Robinson said:

“I have been considering this move for a long time because I recognise that, though street demonstrations have brought us to this point, they are no longer productive. I acknowledge the dangers of far-right extremism and the ongoing need to counter Islamist ideology not with violence but with better, democratic ideas.”
Quilliam has been working with Tommy to achieve this transition, which represents a huge success for community relations in the United Kingdom. We have previously identified the symbiotic relationship between far-right extremism and Islamism and think that this event can dismantle the underpinnings of one phenomenon while removing the need for the other phenomenon.

We hope to help Tommy invest his energy and commitment in countering extremism of all kinds, supporting the efforts to bring along his former followers and encouraging his critique of Islamism as well as his concern with far-right extremism. We call all of Tommy’s former colleagues in the EDL to follow in his footsteps and also call on Islamist extremist leaders to follow this example and leave their respective groups. Tommy and Kevin believe the voice they have created can be channelled in a positive direction. Quilliam stands ready to facilitate such moves across the spectrum.
    Quilliam Chairman and Co-Founder Maajid Nawaz said:

“As well as being a very positive change for the United Kingdom, this is a very proud moment for Quilliam. This represents not a change but a continuation for us, as challenging extremism of all kinds forms the basis of our work. We have been able to show that Britain stands together against extremism regardless of political views and hope to continue supporting Tommy and Kevin in their journey to counter Islamism and neo-Nazi extremism.”
We are hosting a press conference for Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll’s departure from the EDL at an undisclosed location in London today, 8 October 2013 at 6:30pm and will field all questions then. Entrance will be strictly conditional on the presentation of press passes; please contact media@quilliamfoundation.org or call 020 7182 7275 or 020 7182 7278 if you would like to attend and more details will be provided but please do not RSVP if you are not press.

It could all just be bollox though fingers crossed it ain't

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 8, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Apparently it's all over. How will they fare without their Glorious Leader?

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/press-releases/quilliam-facilitates-tommy-robinson-leaving-the-english-defence-league/

e: their site is hosed under load so

It could all just be bollox though fingers crossed it ain't

Just saw Brown Moses tweeting about this, sounds insane. What is this quilliam foundation and how did they manage to convince Tommy Robinson of all people that right wing extremism and street violence aren't good? I thought those were his two favourite things?

Either way I look forward to the EDL reaction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Just saw Brown Moses tweeting about this, sounds insane. What is this quilliam foundation and how did they manage to convince Tommy Robinson of all people that right wing extremism and street violence aren't good? I thought those were his two favourite things?

Either way I look forward to the EDL reaction.

The Quilliam Foundation are an anti-Islamist Muslim think-tank that advocate, among other things, spying on other Muslims whether they're suspected of a crime or not.

Seems like they convinced Robinson that promoting racism from within the system is more effective than doing so from outside.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

The Quilliam Foundation are an anti-Islamist Muslim think-tank that advocate, among other things, spying on other Muslims whether they're suspected of a crime or not.

Seems like they convinced Robinson that promoting racism from within the system is more effective than doing so from outside.

An anti-islamist muslim think tank? How does that work?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

An anti-islamist muslim think tank? How does that work?

Anti-Islamist, not anti-Islam. But yeah I can see now why Tommy is involved with these guys.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Are you saying all Muslims are fundamentalists?

forums poster
Jan 25, 2012

by angerbeet
Welp,

quote:

English Defence League leader and founder Tommy Robinson has left the group, saying he has concerns over the "dangers of far-right extremism".

The EDL organises protests across the UK against "radical Islam".

Mr Robinson said it was still his aim to "counter Islamist ideology", although "not with violence but with better, democratic ideas".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Sloth posted:

Are you saying all Muslims are fundamentalists?

No, but Quilliam comes close to suggesting that. Apart from the McCarthy-esque witch-hunt they so enthusiastically support, they're anti-immigration, oppose multiculturalism, and have stated that Arabs are innately racist. Unsurprisingly, their biggest supporters are Michael Gove and Melanie Philips, and they get paid a not-inconsiderable amount by the government to endorse and promote their more xenophobic policies.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Darth Walrus posted:

So basically he's turned into the way more effective terrible right wing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So basically he's turned into the way more effective terrible right wing?

And he's given his new friends in the way more effective terrible right-wing a big boost, yes.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Now the media can laud his brave step of being less openly fascist.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not convinced associating with Tommy Robinson will be a PR coup in the short or long term.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Peel posted:

I'm not convinced associating with Tommy Robinson will be a PR coup in the short or long term.

Maybe in the short-term. Depends how long they can get him to keep up the "I've changed my ways! Look how tolerant I am now!" act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Peel posted:

It's certainly a PR coup for Robinson to be associated with more mainstream organisations, which is the more frightening thing

• Locked thread