Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

Why release DLC when they can take the time to make a good game, not withhold content for DLC, and it has a really good shelf life where it doesn't need to come down in price?

My point was more Nintendo releasing stuff like Luigi U extends the life of a game without having to make a brand new game. That way they can spend more time making something brand new.

That's the right way to handle DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tekken is $10 at Target right now. I had to price match with the website since it was listed at $20 at my store.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Bass Bottles posted:

The boxart was taken from someone's DeviantART account so don't get excited.

I wasn't. I just found it amusing that they had "boxart".

I still have to get Dark Moon myself.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You can't say that when the 3DS is the loving boss and selling fine.

Nintendo is failing in their console department. Doesn't mean they are failing overall.

You're right, that's fair. But I still stand by the WiiU being a colossal failure and they need to seriously switch up their corporation and who's in charge. They're getting killed. When the new systems come out they're supremely hosed

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're right, that's fair. But I still stand by the WiiU being a colossal failure and they need to seriously switch up their corporation and who's in charge. They're getting killed. When the new systems come out they're supremely hosed

I really don't get what Nintendo is supposed to do. Their games look and play great. Even with out the gamepad, all they can do is make games, which is more than the head of a company has say in. Their biggest problem is HD development as they've acknowledged. I don't see how firing anyone helps this. If anything they should be hiring more people, which they do, but they hardly trust anyone to develop their properties.

They also can't just money hat, because they aren't respected by third parties. Even Ubisoft is throwing them lame scraps, Zombie U, AC3 and Splinter Cell have been buggy messes, Splinter Cell being the worst port ever. Rayman is only good by virtue of being a platformer, and having more dev time than they needed. So they either pay for developers to put poo poo on their consoles, furthering the stereotype that Nintendo console owners only buy Nintendo, or they develop a new game every month as some people seem to think that's how long it takes to make a game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's wrong with Splinter Cell?

Also, don't denigrate platformers.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Is anyone else having trouble viewing YouTube videos with the browser? It's not freezing anymore, but it says that the video (any one) can't be played on the device. Presumably they want you to use the lovely app for some reason.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What's wrong with Splinter Cell?
After 2 months, you can still only play single player at the moment. The online is broken, private parties work a tenth of the time, people you meet through quick match can no longer play with you once you add them as friends, if you find a match it hard locks your system, and they completely took local coop out of the local coop machine version.

The miiverse is a tire fire of people desperately hoping for a patch, posting Twitter responses from devs and shushing people who question Ubisoft's brilliance.

quote:

Also, don't denigrate platformers.

I would never. And I'd have bought Rayman Legends if I didn't have principles. The challenge app was great. Can't wait for Ubisoft to blame sales instead of their reputation, devs don't realize how powerful miiverse is for informing purchases.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 8, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Is anyone else having trouble viewing YouTube videos with the browser? It's not freezing anymore, but it says that the video (any one) can't be played on the device. Presumably they want you to use the lovely app for some reason.

Browser Settings > User Agent > Internet Explorer - Touch

You'll have to set this each time you open the browser, but it'll fix your Youtube issues.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bushisms.txt posted:

They also can't just money hat, because they aren't respected by third parties. Even Ubisoft is throwing them lame scraps, Zombie U, AC3 and Splinter Cell have been buggy messes, Splinter Cell being the worst port ever. Rayman is only good by virtue of being a platformer, and having more dev time than they needed. So they either pay for developers to put poo poo on their consoles, furthering the stereotype that Nintendo console owners only buy Nintendo, or they develop a new game every month as some people seem to think that's how long it takes to make a game.

When you consider that Nintendo in all likelihood, if factoring in second party developers and subsidies, has at least 24 dev teams going at any one time its not that hard an idea to have to expect at least two games per three months.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 8, 2013

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Cliff Racer posted:

When you consider that Nintendo in all likelihood, if factor in second party developers and subsidies, has at least 24 dev teams going at any one time its not that hard an idea to have to expect at least two games per three months.

When you consider 3DS titles this might actually be the case.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

When you consider that Nintendo in all likelihood, if factoring in second party developers and subsidies, has at least 24 dev teams going at any one time its not that hard an idea to have to expect at least two games per three months.

Physics don't work that way. Especially with how anal they are with their properties. Also yes, the 3ds is pretty much being held up by Nintendo alone.

How many games is MSFT putting out? Sony is splitting time between generations, but the Vita is the worst selling console still alive today. And they've got only 3 to 4 games coming out for the PS4, a few more if you include downports from PC.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bushisms.txt posted:

Physics don't work that way. Especially with how anal they are with their properties. Also yes, the 3ds is pretty much being held up by Nintendo alone.

How many games is MSFT putting out? Sony is splitting time between generations, but the Vita is the worst selling console still alive today. And they've got only 3 to 4 games coming out for the PS4, a few more if you include downports from PC.

They do if you are a competent business which puts teams on a two to three year leash instead of letting them gently caress around for half a decade and not even come up with anything. Who cares what the other two are doing, their consoles' success is not 100 percent tied to in-house first party content in the same way as Nintendo's is. We all know that Microsoft Game Studios slowly drove everyone with drive and creativity out over the past eight years (not to mention the fact they often go out and buy timed exclusivities from third parties instead) and Sony's groups, while of diverse competence, are nowhere near as numerous as Nintendo's.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate with Wii Classic Controller Pro for $19.99 plus shipping!

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcom...s=1381221654958

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
That's not going to help the confusion between the Pro Controller and Classic Controller Pro. Should have called the Pro Controller the Core Controller.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

but the Vita is the worst selling console still alive today.

I've been following the Vita thread for a couple of months and it's kind of crazy how much better that thread is compared to this one even though the Vita is performing as poorly as the Wii U

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been following the Vita thread for a couple of months and it's kind of crazy how much better that thread is compared to this one even though the Vita is performing as poorly as the Wii U

Probably because aside from those who just play it for the games and love it (which is a lot and I mean no ill will towards them) there are some technophiles that get angry if top technology is not as commercially viable as a withered technology item. To them there's no plausible reason for someone to buy a crappy 3DS over the more powerful Vita. These are the same people who make a thousand excuses to why the Wii was a failure because in their world, an under powered console should never be a market leader. These are also people who upgrade their phone the moment they can to whatever is new on the market just to say they have the latest whatever.

I push for technological advances any chance we get (especially future technology research through socially funded means) but I don't get angry when people are having fun playing FarmVille, Pokemon or any game that doesn't push boundaries graphically. Vita looks like a nice piece of hardware and while it ain't my cup of tea (I think the sticks on it are poo poo) I certainly don't want to see support dropped for it before its time.

I know it'd be easier for some if all games came out on the same platform but I consider choice and competition a good thing. If everything was run by Sony, Apple, Microsoft or even Nintendo it would pretty much be the worst thing for the gaming industry.

tl:dr good for them

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I really don't get what Nintendo is supposed to do. Their games look and play great. Even with out the gamepad, all they can do is make games, which is more than the head of a company has say in. Their biggest problem is HD development as they've acknowledged. I don't see how firing anyone helps this. If anything they should be hiring more people, which they do, but they hardly trust anyone to develop their properties.

Dude, I don't know how else to put it but Nintendo isn't doing well with their new console. Things take forever and they don't make that big of a splash when they've come out.

The marketing is a joke and the system is floundering. If you think they don't need a shake up in terms of how they're managing the system then I don't know what else to say.

Theyre bringing out some good games in a little while, but it's been out for more than a year now. 2 new systems are coming out in a little bit and Nintendo should be well ahead of them at this point. I really don't think they are.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

bushisms.txt posted:

Also yes, the 3ds is pretty much being held up by Nintendo alone.

Um..what?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dunban posted:

Um..what?

I'm gonna guess he meant to say Nintendo is pretty much being held up by the 3DS alone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Dude, I don't know how else to put it but Nintendo isn't doing well with their new console. Things take forever and they don't make that big of a splash when they've come out.

The marketing is a joke and the system is floundering. If you think they don't need a shake up in terms of how they're managing the system then I don't know what else to say.

Theyre bringing out some good games in a little while, but it's been out for more than a year now. 2 new systems are coming out in a little bit and Nintendo should be well ahead of them at this point. I really don't think they are.

The marketing is extremely frustrating. This is Nintendo. The Mario 3 commercial is still one of the greatest commercials of all time. Remember the Smash Bros. Commercial and how crazy it was to see Nintendo characters fighting each other? Or the wacky "Wii would like to play" stuff that just made getting a Wii feel like "I'm doing this for me because I want to have fun with friends and family at home again"?

Nintendo used to be marketing geniuses and the handling of the 3DS and Wii U is not common to how they worked through history. It's frustrating when I'm doing more marketing for Nintendo to friends than Nintendo is doing period.

I truly think with a good marketing campaign from the start this console would be in at least 10 million homes. Just the turnaround on World 3D should be proof that something is wrong with how Nintendo thinks they should market themselves. And if that's on Iwata or Reggies call they need to be held accountable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Mario 3 commercial is still one of the greatest commercials of all time.

It ran a bit long at 90-odd minutes, but man did it get the job done :allears:. And yeah, Nintendo really need to revitalize their marketing department. They used to have some really good fun ads in the 90's/early 00's.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Speaking as someone who loves the controller and his Wii U.

Nintendo's mistake was the controller. It absolutely must increase cost per unit of the console significantly, which is apparent given that they're currently loss leading on it.

For games, it's a great addition, that's become apparent in my playthrough of Windwaker. But with the amount that it bumped up the price of the console, it probably wasn't worth it. (For Nintendo I mean)

The lack of any sort of killer app on release was also a hilarious mistake.

I mean strategically if I were Nintendo I would have pulled a Twilight Princess gimmick again. Run a simultaneous Wii and Wii U release of the game on the day the Wii U releases, yes you miss 25th anniversary but that can be fudged just enough that it's probably okay.

Bang, you're releasing a console with a Zelda game that we now know sold 3.5 million units in a month at virtually no additional development cost, I mean Christ, the discs don't even have to be different if you don't want them to.

Hell, you even can deal with the new console silliness in the advert. "You can get Zelda on the Wii, or on the all new Wii U, a completely separate and upgraded console that will give you the best Zelda experience"

The endgame is a console running at power between generations, probably $100 cheaper and a Zelda game out the gate.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It ran a bit long at 90-odd minutes, but man did it get the job done :allears:. And yeah, Nintendo really need to revitalize their marketing department. They used to have some really good fun ads in the 90's/early 00's.

Oh The Wizard :allears:

You probably knew what I meant but the world uniting and making a Mario face is burned in my childhood memory. It's why I never cared about how the public looked at videogames for years because for all I cared, the world will unite to chant Mario if we have to.

I also remember Nintendo being obsessed with mixing Zelda and rap so it ain't always rosy. What an odd combination.

The first Wii U commercials should have been some celebrity spokesperson saying, "This was the Wii and this is the Wii U." holding up the console before the next frame goes to discussing the Gamepad. Make it Michael Fassbender in a suit and it'd be something both men and women can enjoy. But nope we got... Uhhh... sing along in glowing boxes from that one Elvis remix music video?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think this is why the other WiiU discussion thread was made. But honestly I love my WiiU. I use it a ton, I have a ton of games for it. I understand this isn't the case for a lot of people, but it works great for me. If I were to rank it among Nintendo's home consoles it would probably be pretty low, but I'm enjoying it more than I did my Wii.

The 3DS to me is honestly the best system Nintendo had ever released, bar none. I'm addicted to the thing and have way more games than I can possibly play, and everything about the system just works so well for me. Except the 3D which is neither a detriment or a compliment. But even not caring at all about 3D it is still my favorite Nintendo device ever.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
I would really love for Nintendo to start throwing some cool deals at Wii U owners, too. The 3DS games promotion they just announced for the Japanese Club Nintendo is fantastic and I fully intend to take advantage of it, but I just think it's strange that they wouldn't throw a bone to the Wii U in some way or another, too.

It's not like the Wii U got some lesser, not AS awesome version of the same deal-- it got NOTHING.

Wii U is pretty cool, though. I don't have that much free time, so the combination of Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and Wonderful 101 will definitely keep me busy until... Aw, drat it, it's October already? Mario comes out next month?

Yeah, I'm never getting around to all this poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Timely Howard posted:

I would really love for Nintendo to start throwing some cool deals at Wii U owners, too. The 3DS games promotion they just announced for the Japanese Club Nintendo is fantastic and I fully intend to take advantage of it, but I just think it's strange that they wouldn't throw a bone to the Wii U in some way or another, too.

It's not like the Wii U got some lesser, not AS awesome version of the same deal-- it got NOTHING.

We got 30 cent virtual console games.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Random Stranger posted:

We got 30 cent virtual console games.

I think I was getting more at how the 3DS is seeing pretty solid support, whereas the Wii U got one thing, a year ago.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

greatn posted:

I think this is why the other WiiU discussion thread was made.

Yeah you're right. This thread is filled with much more love though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah you're right. This thread is filled with much more love though.

It's best this way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Obey Wario, DESTROY MARIO!"

I don't really see game commercials for any system any more, and when I do it's got pounding music single-line review quotes and about half a second of the actual game. Bring back video game characters selling their game to us. I want Nolan North Nathan Drake saying he needs our help to find the macguffin of whatever, Master Chief saying he did something awesome and we should check it out, or some Mario-styled Mii showing us around all the games Nintendoland offers.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 8, 2013

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I remember seeing a lot of these same arguments/complaints when the 3ds launched. Although my g/f plays my 3ds way more than i do, i still dont regret buying that either. I say if things dont get better by christmas 2014, then id be willing to call the wii u a flop. Remember, japanese businesses dont thing in the short term, they think long term. Its just how they do business.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jhorphear posted:

I remember seeing a lot of these same arguments/complaints when the 3ds launched. Although my g/f plays my 3ds way more than i do, i still dont regret buying that either. I say if things dont get better by christmas 2014, then id be willing to call the wii u a flop. Remember, japanese businesses dont thing in the short term, they think long term. Its just how they do business.

I guess the thing is that the 3DS shouldn't have had launch issues but it did. Also, handheld is a market Nintendo has been comfortably number one since 1989. The Wii U was Nintendo attempting to get former Nintendo console owners who switched to Sony/Microsoft back while also keeping the door open from the blue ocean strategy. They failed at both in a disappointing way. The marketing has been completely lackluster.

So many people chip in their two cents on why it's a failure from a hardware standpoint while others comment on how they love it. The problem is neither side can really prove their point on if it's good or not because Nintendo hasn't marketed the console properly. This really doesn't feel like a system in which Nintendo has done everything they can to let people know about it and nobody wanted it.

I'm of the opinion that once games people want to buy come out, it'll sell better. Probably around Gamecube levels but adjusted for the fact the console market is going to get smaller, not bigger (big games will sell more than ever, everything less than a big game will sell worse, indie games might sell a little better). That said I don't play as much as I used to and having around a dozen games I'm interested in playing is a good number so far. For people that burn through games daily I'm sure the console is a waste of space.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

They do if you are a competent business which puts teams on a two to three year leash instead of letting them gently caress around for half a decade and not even come up with anything. Who cares what the other two are doing, their consoles' success is not 100 percent tied to in-house first party content in the same way as Nintendo's is. We all know that Microsoft Game Studios slowly drove everyone with drive and creativity out over the past eight years (not to mention the fact they often go out and buy timed exclusivities from third parties instead) and Sony's groups, while of diverse competence, are nowhere near as numerous as Nintendo's.

No company will do this if they care about quality. Which is why the first game in a new series was usually tne best last gen. You really think games like Watch Dogs, Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, even Wondrful101 which has been around since 2010, only take a couple years?

Nintendo used to never talk about games til e3 and we liked it. Now with the nature of this instant culture, everybody wants things now. People with attitudes like yours are the reason Forza 5 is only half done at retail.

Dunban posted:

Um..what?

The 3ds was DOA until price drop and meaningful games. Besides MonHun, which outsold the Vitas LTD sales, just about every big release is Nintendo or second party, not even including Armature, which is former Retro, or Wayforward who is also super close to Nintendo and doing Shantae for them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bushisms.txt posted:

Wayforward who is also super close to Nintendo and doing Shantae for them.
Shantae 4 is hitting everything though. It's not like they're exclusive to Nintendo by a long shot.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Shantae 4 is hitting everything though. It's not like they're exclusive to Nintendo by a long shot.

That's just the nature of the business. Their splinter group Yacht Club is their Nintendo group. Nintendo doesn't need exclusives, they need games, period.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 8, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah it's pretty ironic people are heralding the 3DS as the greatest console ever when even 6 months ago people were saying it was DOA. I know I regretted buying a 3DS until very recently, since there was very little for it until earlier this year.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
They need exclusives because right now and for the next year or so, any multiplat that goes to Wii U will also likely go to PS3 and 360.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Chaltab posted:

They need exclusives because right now and for the next year or so, any multiplat that goes to Wii U will also likely go to PS3 and 360.

I agree, they have always done great when they had original titles on their systems. Multiplatform games have always done fairly poorly on nintendo consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jhorphear posted:

I agree, they have always done great when they had original titles on their systems. Multiplatform games have always done fairly poorly on nintendo consoles.

With exception to Sonic titles which is why Sonic is starting to become Nintendo exclusive.

• Locked thread