Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

nrr posted:

Yeah, almost everywhere in town has these but I was never really impressed with the inconsistency of the spheres.

We have a Kold Draft ice machine that makes big, dense, clear cubes. They're not cheap, and the reason for that is they produce a cube with no air bubbles or weaknesses. This makes the cubes last longer, dilute less, and make for a better drink. I've seen them go through the dishwasher before and still come out resembling ice cubes.

The sphere works on the concept that less surface area creates less dilution as well but I'm not convinced that it's flat out better when the spheres i get are cloudy with air trapped inside them and some of them crack and break in half.

So the holy grail right now is basically a combination of the two. A dense, perfectly clear sphere of ice with no imperfections. So far I've managed to use the Tovolo moulds to achieve this but the real challenge is to be able to effectively mass produce them for my bar. So far, each individual ball takes around 8-12 hours to form, and that's not really practical to refill the 4-6 moulds we've got for the 20-50+ combined Manhattans, Negronis, Old Fashioneds etc that I can do on a Saturday night.

The air you're seeing is more likely the trail minerals leave as they try to make it to the surface. Boil and filter your water before freezing it, and/or set your freezer to 31f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

I have a cocktail-ish question.

I'm having a dinner party, and wanted to to something a bit different. I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

In my head, this is how it goes:
Combine: Canned tomatoes (decent fresh ones here are over $4/lb.), celery salt, hot sauce, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, water, pepper. Simmer for 10 min or so to combine (maybe fridge overnight instead?), then strain. Get it back on the heat, and mix in agar agar. Simmer for another minute or so until the agar dissolves, take off the heat, add vodka, put into molds (ice cube tray) and let set. Serve on a toothpick with an olive.

Couple questions:
1. How's my bloody mary mix?
2. Is this a terrible loving idea?

In addition to this question, for the same dinner party:
Punch! Hibiscus tea, mint, simple syrup, gin (probably Hendricks). Thoughts?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

angor posted:

In addition to this question, for the same dinner party:
Punch! Hibiscus tea, mint, simple syrup, gin (probably Hendricks). Thoughts?

Great! Add some lemon and infuse your tea and mint into the simple syrup, then adjust to taste.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oooh, lemon is a good call. How do I infuse the tea in the simple syrup? Note that I plan on buying bulk dried hibiscus and letting it steep to make the hibiscus tea. Adding mint to the simple syrup is a great idea as well.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

angor posted:

Oooh, lemon is a good call. How do I infuse the tea in the simple syrup? Note that I plan on buying bulk dried hibiscus and letting it steep to make the hibiscus tea. Adding mint to the simple syrup is a great idea as well.

You can heat hibiscus rather than just steeping it. I'd simmer the hibiscus in water for a bit, drain the hibiscus, then add sugar to the hot hibiscus tea to make your simple.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

angor posted:

I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

Doesn't look like anyone has replied. Mix sounds spot on, I'd only add some fresh cracked black pepper. I'd do a some quick research to see if alcohol interferes with agar agar setting action. Let us know how it goes.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've gotten rather tired of taking shots of vodka and chugging lovely whiskey. For my 21st, I was introduced to whiskey sours and V&T's. Why I never had them before, chalk it up to college.

I've found that making a simple syrup from raw cane sugar is especially good with rums and whiskeys. gently caress the supposed healthy aspects, it's got a unique flavor that I like. I boiled down 2 cups of raw sugar in a cup of water until it had the consistency of antifreeze, if that makes any sense. Try it with a cocktail involving lime.

Also, I've got a good amount of instant ginger tisane. I wonder what spiced rum would be like in it. Will let y'all know.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome. We can help you drink well. Try replacing that vodka in your vodka tonic with gin. It's uh, super tasty.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Chiming in to say that tequila and tonic works great too. Espolon blanco and the milagro blanco are both dirt chea good blancos that are perfect for mixing.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've come into possession of a bottle of St. Germain, largely on a whim. A local store was having tastings and it was enjoyable. So I'm looking for recipes to use it in. The official website has several that look very promising, just wondering if anyone else has some they recommend or that they've created.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I did a ginger and elderflower "martini" with St Germain about 10 years ago that was a pretty big hit.

45ml Vodka
15ml St Germain
1 slice fresh ginger, bashed a couple of times with a muddler

Shake/fine strain, up, garnish with a twist.

I've done about a million variations since then - instead of the vodka you can try it with a nice floral gin like Nolet's or Botanist if you have something available to play with. Also works real well with some fresh lemongrass bashed up in it too, or maybe try throwing a blackberry in your shaker with it. Go nuts.

If you're on their website, their signature cocktail (also known as the Hummingbird) is real easy to drink and great on a hot summers day. Super light and soft.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Canadian Bakin posted:

I've come into possession of a bottle of St. Germain, largely on a whim. A local store was having tastings and it was enjoyable. So I'm looking for recipes to use it in. The official website has several that look very promising, just wondering if anyone else has some they recommend or that they've created.
Equal parts St Germain and gin, with some orange bitters dashed in, poured over a big ole iceball.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Canadian Bakin posted:

The Apparent Sour is one of my favorite drinks

1.5oz Aperol
.75oz elderflower liqueur
.75oz lime juice
shake/coupe/rosemary sprig

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Wow. It would seem that bottle isn't going to last as long as I thought, because those all sound great! My next day off is going to be fun. :cheers:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Comb Your Beard posted:

Doesn't look like anyone has replied. Mix sounds spot on, I'd only add some fresh cracked black pepper. I'd do a some quick research to see if alcohol interferes with agar agar setting action. Let us know how it goes.

PROTIP: Don't use agar agar to gel bloody marys. It's really weird and gross.

The hibiscus, mint syrup, gin cocktail was super refreshing and awesome though!

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

My wife and I love the Pamplemousse:

1 oz gin
1 oz grapefruit juice
0.5 oz St. Germain
0.5 oz lemon juice
Shaken, strained, garnish slapped basil leaf

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This past weekend while out to dinner I decided to order a cocktail on a whim and was extremely happy with the results. I don't usually do mixed drinks but this one really got me interested. I want to try and replicate the drink but I have very minimal experience. Unfortunately I won't be able to go back to this restaurant any time soon to ask the bartender but I did manage to track down the ingredient list:

White Rye whiskey(Specifically from a local distillery)
Dolin Blanc
Lemon
Celery
Pickled Watermelon/Watermelon Brine (menu in the bar said brine, menu online said pickled, I just assume it's interchangable in this context)

My question is what exactly do you think they refer to as watermelon brine? Does anybody know how to make it to be used in a cocktail? Any other tips for this drink would also be appreciated!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

lifts cats over head posted:

This past weekend while out to dinner I decided to order a cocktail on a whim and was extremely happy with the results. I don't usually do mixed drinks but this one really got me interested. I want to try and replicate the drink but I have very minimal experience. Unfortunately I won't be able to go back to this restaurant any time soon to ask the bartender but I did manage to track down the ingredient list:

White Rye whiskey(Specifically from a local distillery)
Dolin Blanc
Lemon
Celery
Pickled Watermelon/Watermelon Brine (menu in the bar said brine, menu online said pickled, I just assume it's interchangable in this context)

My question is what exactly do you think they refer to as watermelon brine? Does anybody know how to make it to be used in a cocktail? Any other tips for this drink would also be appreciated!

Watermelon rind is often pickled; perhaps they added some of the brine used to pickle said watermelon rind.

AtomicBolt
Jul 19, 2005

Instead of throwing a hand grenade, throw a small pumpkin. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they're thinking, throw a real grenade at them.
I just inherited a bunch of old liquor bottles (not sure how old, but from the looks of it, '80s?) from elderly relatives who don't drink anymore.

The Beefeater Crown Jewel is intriguing as hell. Apparently it was Beefeater's premium line (it's 50% ABV, 1 litre) and they discontinued it years ago, and the bottle's still sealed. The only reference I could find to this particular bottle was a British site where it was out of stock but going for £300 when it was available. Living in Canada I can't legally sell liquor on any kind of eBay-type site, and don't get me wrong I love me some gin, but I just feel like it would be a shame to make gin & tonics out of a rare, sealed decades-old collector's item when there are probably gin collectors who'd go nuts for it.

The rest of the stuff is just goofy exciting cocktail poo poo. Time to go all Mad Men on some old-rear end Chartreuse!

tynam
May 14, 2007

AtomicBolt posted:

I just inherited a bunch of old liquor bottles (not sure how old, but from the looks of it, '80s?) from elderly relatives who don't drink anymore.

The Beefeater Crown Jewel is intriguing as hell. Apparently it was Beefeater's premium line (it's 50% ABV, 1 litre) and they discontinued it years ago, and the bottle's still sealed. The only reference I could find to this particular bottle was a British site where it was out of stock but going for £300 when it was available. Living in Canada I can't legally sell liquor on any kind of eBay-type site, and don't get me wrong I love me some gin, but I just feel like it would be a shame to make gin & tonics out of a rare, sealed decades-old collector's item when there are probably gin collectors who'd go nuts for it.

The rest of the stuff is just goofy exciting cocktail poo poo. Time to go all Mad Men on some old-rear end Chartreuse!

drat that looks amazing. I'm in the school of "drink it if you got it," so I'd definitely just enjoy it now instead of worrying about saving it. The Last Word with that Chartreuse and gin sounds like good times.

In other weird gin news, if you want to make a gin & tonic that's not really a gin & tonic, I highly recommend G'Vine gin. I went on a Total Wine binge the other day and bought a few random bottles of gin that I've never had before, and a few cases of Med/Ind Fever Tree tonic to experiment. G'Vine was by far the weirdest gin (if you can even call it gin) I've ever had. Almost no juniper hit, floral and fruity as hell. I was hoping for an Aviation gin replacement since they stopped stocking it locally, but drat this is too much.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
After making Dark and Stormies with Kraken for months, I decided to try making an official patented Dark 'N' Stormy™ when I came upon a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal for the first time, and drat if it isn't a major downgrade from Kraken, in my estimation?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
After purchasing a shaker and basic tool kit from Goodwill for the princely sum of seven dollars, I've happily gone cocktail nuts the past few weeks. I've centered around the Negroni,making variations of it with gin, tequila, rum,rye whiskey and different bourbons.

Out of all the versions of it, I like mine with blanco tequila the best. I kept it simple, 1 and 1/2 oz tequila, 1 oz sweet vermouth, and 1 oz campari. The earthy funk of a good tequila balances so well with the tart campari, and the soft sweetness of the vermouth takes just enough of the edge off to make it go down smooth.

I've got a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel that made a good Boulevadier, but I prefer making it with my Rittenhouse Rye. It gives it a good spicy kick.

On the Manhattan front, I again prefer the rye, but the Four Roses also tastes fantastic. I'm finding that stronger proof spirits seem to stand up well in cocktails, they seem to handle a little bit of water better without tasting watered down.

I fooled around with a Rob Roy too. It tasted strange, but good. I used Teacher's Highland Cream, which is a very well reviewed blend. My complaint here was that *too* much seemed to be going on with all the flavors. I want to try this again with different blends though.

Next thing I'm going to work on is a tequila based Manhattan, although I feel it might slide more into a martini style territory.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

After purchasing a shaker and basic tool kit from Goodwill for the princely sum of seven dollars, I've happily gone cocktail nuts the past few weeks. I've centered around the Negroni,making variations of it with gin, tequila, rum,rye whiskey and different bourbons.

Out of all the versions of it, I like mine with blanco tequila the best. I kept it simple, 1 and 1/2 oz tequila, 1 oz sweet vermouth, and 1 oz campari. The earthy funk of a good tequila balances so well with the tart campari, and the soft sweetness of the vermouth takes just enough of the edge off to make it go down smooth.

I've got a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel that made a good Boulevadier, but I prefer making it with my Rittenhouse Rye. It gives it a good spicy kick.

On the Manhattan front, I again prefer the rye, but the Four Roses also tastes fantastic. I'm finding that stronger proof spirits seem to stand up well in cocktails, they seem to handle a little bit of water better without tasting watered down.

I fooled around with a Rob Roy too. It tasted strange, but good. I used Teacher's Highland Cream, which is a very well reviewed blend. My complaint here was that *too* much seemed to be going on with all the flavors. I want to try this again with different blends though.

Next thing I'm going to work on is a tequila based Manhattan, although I feel it might slide more into a martini style territory.

A tequila Manhattan is a Spanish Harlem and they are pretty tasty. I've been doing the Negroni twist thing lately too, especially after having a Left Hand (bourbon/sweet vermouth/campari/chocolate bitters/orange twist). Messed with that, lowering the vermouth and campari, subbing 1.5 oz of a decent reposado (cazadores), splash of coffee liqueur (in this case, Fair Cafe - nothing too thick like kahlua), a couple dashes each chocolate and orange bitters, orange twist, on the rocks. Delicious. Calling it El Padrino. I'm excited about it because it's gonna make it on the fall menu at my restaurant. It is a pain changing menus with the season but I love it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

After making Dark and Stormies with Kraken for months, I decided to try making an official patented Dark 'N' Stormy™ when I came upon a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal for the first time, and drat if it isn't a major downgrade from Kraken, in my estimation?

Goslings is a middling rum that makes a fine dark n stormy, but their ginger beer is terrible. You might try adding some angostura bitters if you like the spiced aspect.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Maestro posted:

Goslings is a middling rum that makes a fine dark n stormy, but their ginger beer is terrible. You might try adding some angostura bitters if you like the spiced aspect.

Yeah definitely use a better ginger beer. Their rum is fine.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Maestro posted:

A tequila Manhattan is a Spanish Harlem and they are pretty tasty. I've been doing the Negroni twist thing lately too, especially after having a Left Hand (bourbon/sweet vermouth/campari/chocolate bitters/orange twist). Messed with that, lowering the vermouth and campari, subbing 1.5 oz of a decent reposado (cazadores), splash of coffee liqueur (in this case, Fair Cafe - nothing too thick like kahlua), a couple dashes each chocolate and orange bitters, orange twist, on the rocks. Delicious. Calling it El Padrino. I'm excited about it because it's gonna make it on the fall menu at my restaurant. It is a pain changing menus with the season but I love it.

First, that sounds delicious. I'm going to try this at home. Have you tried this with an anejo?

Second, where do you get your bitters? I need to order orange and chocolate bitters, and some mole bitters.

Third, do you have any ideas for a scotch based cocktail? So far I've just been making Rob Roys, Horse's Neck, and Scotch&Sodas. The blend I have is good, it's got a good heavy, creamy mouthfeel and some smoke to it, and I have a feeling there is a cocktail out there that would bring out the best in it but I'll be damned if I can think of it.

It's very malty, I could see chocolate or orange bitters coming into play with it somehow. I want to to start messing around with Scotch and Campari, not sure where to start though.

I mixed up a tequila and tonic with Campari and it was good, maybe I'll ad some Campari to a Scotch&Soda and build from there.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

do you have any ideas for a scotch based cocktail?

Smokin' Barrel - 1oz each tequila, scotch, sweet vermouth, barspoon Benedictine, 2 dash Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/nutmeg
The Graduate - 1.5oz sweet vermouth, 1oz blended scotch, .5oz orange liqueur. Stir/iced rocks/top with tonic/lemon peel
Smoking Jacket - 1.5oz blended scotch, .75oz Cynar, .75oz sweet vermouth, dash orange bitters Stir/iced DOF
Le Roi Robert - 1oz blended scotch, 1oz St. Germain, .5oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/cherry
Bravo - 1oz blended scotch, 1.5oz rye, .25oz simple syrup. Stir/absinthe rinsed rocks/sugar cube

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

First, that sounds delicious. I'm going to try this at home. Have you tried this with an anejo?

Second, where do you get your bitters? I need to order orange and chocolate bitters, and some mole bitters.

Third, do you have any ideas for a scotch based cocktail? So far I've just been making Rob Roys, Horse's Neck, and Scotch&Sodas. The blend I have is good, it's got a good heavy, creamy mouthfeel and some smoke to it, and I have a feeling there is a cocktail out there that would bring out the best in it but I'll be damned if I can think of it.

It's very malty, I could see chocolate or orange bitters coming into play with it somehow. I want to to start messing around with Scotch and Campari, not sure where to start though.

I mixed up a tequila and tonic with Campari and it was good, maybe I'll ad some Campari to a Scotch&Soda and build from there.

We actually ran it as a special with Herradura añejo because we had the bottle kicking around. It was fantastic, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I think a reposado is fine but a Blanco might not work. I get bitters at bevmo, but online is probably the way to go. I'm pretty sure we use angostura orange (though everything I've read says Reagan's no 6 is the gold standard) and fee bros Aztec chocolate.

Edit: also, uh, it started as Campari, but the final drink will use Tru organic golden poppy liqueur instead. Just for the sake of accuracy.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 27, 2013

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made a Zim Zala Bim per Jamie Boudreau's recipe the other night and it is fantastic.

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/489/raising_the_bar_zim_zala_bim/

2 oz reposado tequila
0.25 oz Regans orange bitters
0.25 oz 2:1 simple syrup
0.25 oz St. Germain
Stir/Coupe/Grapefruit twist

This is the only cocktail that I've seen that uses large quantities of Regan's orange but it makes me wonder what other combinations might work. The coriander kick from the Regan's compliments the St. Germaine really well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So I managed to get a bottle of maple agave syrup. What should I use it with to make a sweet cocktail. I'm thinking definitely the base syrup should be rum or rye.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So I managed to get a bottle of maple agave syrup. What should I use it with to make a sweet cocktail. I'm thinking definitely the base syrup should be rum or rye.
2oz Rittenhouse Rye, 1oz grapefruit juice, 1/2oz maple agave. Stir, strain over ice, it's a Breakfast Sour.

e: Actually, replace the grapefruit juice with a Rauchbier; the easiest to find in America is the Rogue Bacon Donut beer in the giant pink fuckin' bottle. It has a 50/50 chance of being amazing or horrific.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone give me a recommendation for Absinthe? I drink it French style (louched).

I like Pacifique and St Georges, but is there anything else good? I'm not into "sweet" Absinthes, like Pernod or Ordinaire.

I'm in the US if it matters.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've heard that Ridge is really good stuff.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm now gainfully employed and have a bit of money to throw around, so today I finally bought Green Chartreuse, which is very expensive here (cheapest at $70) and I've been wanting to try it since I was 15. I also got a bottle of Tanqueray. I quite like to drink gin on its own with a bit of ice but a quick Google tells me it's common to mix gin and Chartreuse together in a cocktail. Can anyone recommend a recipe? I have some very basic cocktail making experience, so I'd rather something fairly simple.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh sir. Congratulations. And Chartreuse isn't just pricey wherever you are – it's pricey everywhere.

Do you have maraschino? I hope you have maraschino. If not you're going to have to spend $30 more and buy a bottle of Luxardo maraschino. You won't regret this, because then you'll be able to make

The Last Word

.75 oz. gin
.75 oz. lime juice
.75 oz. maraschino
.75 oz. green Chartreuse

Shake with ice, strain, coupe. It's a flavor experience that is almost unparalleled in all of drinking. Enjoy.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Or a bottle of sweet vermouth and some orange bitters to make a bijou: 1:1:1 gin, sweet vermouth, and green chartreuse, dash orange bitters. Stir over ice until chilled but not too watery, serve neat.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hmm, I have bitters. Maybe vermouth would be a good investment for the future too. Any recommendations or is it all fairly the same? My local place rates Noilly Prat highly but it's $25 as opposed to $15 for everything else.

I'm trying a bit of Chartreuse with ice at the moment. It's lovely. I feel like it could cure any ailment.

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 8, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

That sucks dude. Chartreuse is like <$30 where I am. Good thing because I go through a shitload of it.

Try gin, chartreuse, and fresh lemon juice. Shake & serve short.
I personally like mine 2:1:1 but depends on your taste. Drink is named Spring Feeling.

Worth reading into the history of Chartreuse as well, quite interesting compared to a lot of other liquors.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 8, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Octy posted:

Can anyone recommend a recipe? I have some very basic cocktail making experience, so I'd rather something fairly simple.

Some great suggestions so far. All I really have to add that is simple and fits your requirements:

Green Ghost - 2oz gin, .5oz green Chartreuse, .5oz lime juice. Shake/coupe

This doesn't fit at all but I love this drink so much I have a hard time not mentioning it when we're talking Chartreuse:

Champs-Élysées - 2oz congac, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz Green Chartreuse, .25oz simple syrup, dash Angostura. Shake/coupe/lemon peel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

The Last Word

.75 oz. gin
.75 oz. lime juice
.75 oz. maraschino
.75 oz. green Chartreuse

Shake with ice, strain, coupe. It's a flavor experience that is almost unparalleled in all of drinking. Enjoy.

Couldn't recommend this highly enough. Also with the maraschino you can make a neutered Aviation as well, or go the full distance and grab a bottle of creme de violette.

Noilly Prat is good, so is Dolin's if it's any cheaper. Don't skimp on buying good vermouth though. The taste wildly differs between brands, and the cheap stuff taste like poo poo in comparison. Also be sure to buy the small bottles - vermouth isn't something you want lying around opened for months.