Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Now that Thaumcraft 4 is out, I'm trying to set up a new set of mods for myself and my friends to use. However, I've run into a problem.

First is that the download for the most recent Modular Powersuits seems to have been borked. Does anyone have it or know where I can get it?

Second is that IC2 seems to be freezing Minecraft. Which version of IC2 should I be grabbing? (I grabbed the most recent build, 253, but it freezes things, and I don't know enough about this stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jetamo posted:

...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

Holy poo poo! How!? I'm 100% certain flipping that switch would blow up my computer.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Jetamo posted:

It's not enough that you can store several hundred thousand blocks of various things in two blocks anymore for Applied Energistics. Now you can take entire chunks.

Get bored of your current area? Sink a couple pillars down, flip a switch, your hours of work is now in your pocket to bring along!

Wander into a Mystcraft page and never look back!
Moon base? Ha, your painstakingly built complex is no match for my full transplant of grass and trees!
What's that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you on top of my chunk stacked on top of the highest point of the world.

Take it into The End with you! :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sage Grimm posted:

It's not enough that you can store several hundred thousand blocks of various things in two blocks anymore for Applied Energistics. Now you can take entire chunks.

This could be used to construct megaprojects so easily! Copy/Paste everything! :haw:

On the topic of Thaumcraft 4, i've been writing all of the currently discovered aspects into a list because the books abit fiddly to get into when your on the table. Posting it here if anyone wants to add to the list, but please keep it behind a spoiler for anyone who wants the mystery preserved, such as me. :allears:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hyZewrx-rXsexLBk02pTdmnC4PIsHIATQga8KAML6Dc/edit?usp=sharing

Expect millions of typos, its read-only so no one sneaks in a spoiler. :3:

This research system feels like a better way of doing it. Effort without consuming vast quantities of resources and encouraging you to explore the world for nodes. Bet its still going to be a pain in the arse for replay's 'tho.

Edit: Am i missing something here?

In the end i had to research another Thamium puzzle page because that setup and another seems impossible. Seems like the random discovery pages you get from carrying around paper and scribes tools are more difficult to beat. :raise:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 8, 2013

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Jetamo posted:

God drat.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any decent modpacks with Thaumcraft 4 out there? I usually run Magician's Cookbook to satisfy my magic urge, but I really want to try Thaumcraft 4.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Jetamo posted:

Apparently these things can store entities as well. Including player entities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pjd6jMXKIY

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Serifina posted:

Now that Thaumcraft 4 is out, I'm trying to set up a new set of mods for myself and my friends to use. However, I've run into a problem.

First is that the download for the most recent Modular Powersuits seems to have been borked. Does anyone have it or know where I can get it?

Second is that IC2 seems to be freezing Minecraft. Which version of IC2 should I be grabbing? (I grabbed the most recent build, 253, but it freezes things, and I don't know enough about this stuff.)

Try IC2 build #252, it works for me with Thaumcraft 4 and some other mods.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Holy poo poo we can build the matrix!

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

m2pt5 posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo. This is weird.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Not only that, you'll be able to replace your item and liquid pipes, buildcraft and IC2 energy transportation, and even redstone with ME. All of it can go through the quantum network link as well, so it can take a redstone signal cross-dimensionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JkDeQptpcE

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any decent modpacks with Thaumcraft 4 out there? I usually run Magician's Cookbook to satisfy my magic urge, but I really want to try Thaumcraft 4.

When Technic updates to 1.6.4 the Luddite pack will be available; it's an all-magic/zero-tech pack with Thaumcraft 4, Thaumic Tinkerer, Ars Magica (when it becomes available) and other suitable magic-based mods.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

fondue posted:

When Technic updates to 1.6.4 the Luddite pack will be available; it's an all-magic/zero-tech pack with Thaumcraft 4, Thaumic Tinkerer, Ars Magica (when it becomes available) and other suitable magic-based mods.

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up! I'd just need to add tinker's construct and natura and it's perfect.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jetamo posted:

There's a few drawbacks. Because blocks like apiaries* store coordinates in metadata the author has opted for an opt-in system for modders. I'm sure most authors will add support eventually, but on initial release I wouldn't expect much compatibility. It makes sense that the AE author would make sure it was 100% rock solid on release and take low maintenance from his end, but it's disappointing for a short while that it can move vanilla blocks and AE stuff until other people flag their blocks as "yes, AE". On the positive side, it works with nearly every block in every mod without their authors having to change anything. They just need to opt in.

It also uses literally trillions of MJ if you are moving a large area. Think something that could run hundreds/thousands of MFR laser drills.

It's really awesome.

*I am not even sure if there are other blocks that result in server crashes and chunk resets. Blame bees. ;)

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 8, 2013

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

m2pt5 posted:

could you use computers to transfer the storage cell from one area to another, have a teleporter that sends you through the internet! (I can finally punch you in the face for disagreeing with my youtube comment!)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Welp I wanna play minecraft again.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up! I'd just need to add tinker's construct and natura and it's perfect.

Those will be in there! I'll update here when the pack is available.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
This adds an interesting action, you can abduct players and admins and imprison them in your storage cell. But this also means you can abduct the ender dragon as well and drop it into someone's place, or straight up steal someone's place and all their possessions. Encasing your place in warded blocks or locked furnaces does nothing now!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
If there isn't a way to disable that feature being able to grab & store entities I see that block being banned on literally every server running AE. There's about a million ways to grief with that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

President Ark posted:

If there isn't a way to disable that feature being able to grab & store entities I see that block being banned on literally every server running AE. There's about a million ways to grief with that.

Only a million?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

What you might call a grief I would call curating a collection of players and player by-products.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

President Ark posted:

Don't play Minecraft with lovely people.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
This chunk-o-port is the best you can own a moving castle. Once I get one of these up Ever 1/2 hour or so my base will port to one of 7 random location.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hagop posted:

This chunk-o-port is the best you can own a moving castle. Once I get one of these up Ever 1/2 hour or so my base will port to one of 7 random location.

Set up twelve quantum gates, have it transfer once an hour, call it Hour Hand and give it a clock theme.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Thaumcraft 4 Trip Report: Deconstruction Table, while frustrating to have to sit here waiting, i have found a few items that seem solid.

Wheat seems king so far for everything but ignis. Coal/Charcoal should fix that but uncertain as test run seemed dry. Torches are a cheap alternative but the chance seems much lower. Another possibility is Netherwart but i dont have the mass production of it setup. :science:

I am loving awful at the research minigame. :smith:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Bernardo Orel posted:

Try IC2 build #252, it works for me with Thaumcraft 4 and some other mods.

That one also produces a freeze. It's not even giving me a crash report, it's just freezing on the Mojang screen.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Any good tutorials or guides to Applied Energistics out there, now that you've gotten me all excited about it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Any good tutorials or guides to Applied Energistics out there, now that you've gotten me all excited about it?

Check out Wylker's spotlight of it to get you started.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That AE world storage thing seems like it'd be fantastic for swapping out rooms in your base.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Has anyone heard anything out of powercrystals in awhile?

Heard a rumor that he was dropping out of the modding scene. And I'm not sure if that's true or if it's just because people are panicking because MFR hasn't been ported to 1.6.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dementedghost posted:

could you use computers to transfer the storage cell from one area to another, have a teleporter that sends you through the internet! (I can finally punch you in the face for disagreeing with my youtube comment!)

Oh drat, that would be awesome.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

RaspberryCommie posted:

Has anyone heard anything out of powercrystals in awhile?

Heard a rumor that he was dropping out of the modding scene. And I'm not sure if that's true or if it's just because people are panicking because MFR hasn't been ported to 1.6.

As of this morning, MFR has, in fact, been ported.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2016680-162164-powercrystals-mods-minefactoryreloaded-powercrystalscore-and-netherores-updated/

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is why open-sourcing stuff owns. Tired of modding? Someone else will carry it on for you! Though I wouldn't expect PC's absolutely insane rate of feature-addition continuing in any way.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

This is why open-sourcing stuff owns. Tired of modding? Someone else will carry it on for you! Though I wouldn't expect PC's absolutely insane rate of feature-addition continuing in any way.

It helps that Skyboy has apparently been pretty heavily involved with MFR for several months now, and has done a LOT of work. I imagine he knows it as well as anyone.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Is Universal Electricity supposed to show up in the in-game mod list? Basic Components is there, but I don't seem to have the Coal Generator or any of the other basic stuff.

EDIT: I don't have a Creative tab for it either. I'm using 1.6.4.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 9, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Once you get a hang of it, AE's nifty and really easy. The biggest real hurdle for it is the amount of quartz it takes (both nether and the mod's own certus variant). Honestly, the amount of quartz you need almost makes you need to have fun with Quarries or building a Mining Laser. But...once you do the functionality AE gives you is pretty easy to understand and useful.

Oh, and to keep yourself sane, you only really need a handful of 4K memory drives unless you're doing something insane, like trying to store the output of a 64x64 Quarry. Also, since neither Quarries nor Mining Lasers have internal inventories for what they dig up, you'll need to have them output into a chest that you can then connect to the AE system with an import bus.

As for guides, the mod has it's own very good wiki: http://ae-mod.info/

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Alkydere posted:

Oh, and to keep yourself sane, you only really need a handful of 4K memory drives unless you're doing something insane, like trying to store the output of a 64x64 Quarry.

Actually, you don't even need higher storages for that. Setting up a system to automatically dispose of cobble, dirt, and gravel above a certain amount will keep you sane and your network manageable. (Generally, I keep 1024 of each and destroy the rest using a condenser, export bus, and level emitter system.) If you have them, barrels are also a really good place to keep them, with a Storage Bus attached.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Also, since neither Quarries nor Mining Lasers have internal inventories for what they dig up, you'll need to have them output into a chest that you can then connect to the AE system with an import bus.
I've been finding Nether chests work pretty well if you're not at the stage to string up cable all the way to wherever your dig site is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Serifina posted:

Actually, you don't even need higher storages for that. Setting up a system to automatically dispose of cobble, dirt, and gravel above a certain amount will keep you sane and your network manageable. (Generally, I keep 1024 of each and destroy the rest using a condenser, export bus, and level emitter system.) If you have them, barrels are also a really good place to keep them, with a Storage Bus attached.

DSU with a Storage Bus attached. Don't dispose of a thing in case something needs a billion dirt or something.

And I'm pretty sure a Quarry will work if you put a ME Interface on top of it.

• Locked thread