Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Here's a turtle getting blessed with holy water.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Big kitty purring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMi136tURg

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/09/living/higher-call-military-chivalry

Dunno if this has been posted before, but if so, it deserves another read.

A German figher pilot in World War II decides to not go all Nazi on an American pilot in a damaged plane, instead chaperoning him to safety.

After the war, the American tracks down the German and they become friends. :)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A snake with a top hat and moustache is basically the cutest thing ever, sorry capybara lovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GKOz1Rx4s

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Have a couple tiny turtles:

(Or a really big strawberry.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Baby capybaras :kimchi:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:kimchi:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Speaking of chinchillas I'm pretty sure South America is where all the best rodents are from.

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.

Pilli posted:

A kitten stuck in a drain pipe. A good ending. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfe9UyMkNtg

Oh man, I thought this was going to be the kitten they had to use compressed air to get out of the pipe, which is simultaneously the most :3: and :stonk: thing ever.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

peepoogenderparts posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/09/living/higher-call-military-chivalry

Dunno if this has been posted before, but if so, it deserves another read.

A German figher pilot in World War II decides to not go all Nazi on an American pilot in a damaged plane, instead chaperoning him to safety.

After the war, the American tracks down the German and they become friends. :)

Holy poo poo, I am BAWLING.

This is one of those things that makes me write little notes to myself like "name firstborn son Francis. When he's old enough tell him who he was named after and why."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you know if he did a cat or other animal follow up? He mentions doing one but I couldn't find anything.

Nothing yet, I've been checking back every once in a while. I'll be sure to post it here once he does!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"Do you ever feel, like, trapped, maaaaan?"

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Zach Anner (of the Wednesday Work Out videos posted recently) has a new series visiting different religions to try and understand faith. In this first one he visit a 19 year old Muslim girl at a mosque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irL7tDORXY

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Newsnight, on the BBC, is a sober programme going in depth behind the news with topics of some gravity and distinguished guests.

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24439648

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dalax posted:

Newsnight, on the BBC, is a sober programme going in depth behind the news with topics of some gravity and distinguished guests.

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24439648

Funny thing: When I opened that link, it first showed a prompt "This site uses cookies, accept?" Had a good chuckle out of that.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
"Come onnnnn Tycho, play with meeeeeeeee"

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This is it.

This is the greatest thing on the internet.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Holy gently caress

:kimchi:

apsouthern posted:

Zach Anner (of the Wednesday Work Out videos posted recently) has a new series visiting different religions to try and understand faith. In this first one he visit a 19 year old Muslim girl at a mosque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irL7tDORXY

This guy owns so hardcore

the unabonger has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Oct 8, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

:colbert:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
ok, what's up with that table?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hilarion posted:

ok, what's up with that table?

It's pretty well polished, that's for sure.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Dog likes the guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-GJ3hsAM0

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

You can watch the whole adorable clip here:
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/too-cute/videos/short-legs-no-problem-corgi-pups-learn-to-climb.htm

Also this entire show is on Netflix (they also do kittens). Have fun, goons. :kimchi:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
A video in which a kitten overcomes a crippling neurological disorder and learns to walk :3:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
If anybody needs motivation:

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Radio! posted:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/too-cute/videos/short-legs-no-problem-corgi-pups-learn-to-climb.htm

Also this entire show is on Netflix (they also do kittens). Have fun, goons. :kimchi:

I have to admit, I'll usually end up watching an episode of Too Cute! if there isn't anything else on.

This was probably one of my favorite parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsiv3glyXA

Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this story. It is uplifting and feel good to me but if there is a better place for it to be posted just let me know.

A little over a year ago two cats were rescued from the Humane Society. One was a black and white female who jumped from her cage to my shoulder and chose me. The other was a solid black male who could go from being a total spaz to chill at the drop of a hat. They both stole our hearts right off the bat. My wife and I named them Jayna and Zan respectively. Yes they are named after the wonder twins even though they aren't even brother and sister.
We adopted them for several reasons but one of the bigger ones was that my doggy buddy had passed on about 6 months earlier and my wife thought it would help with my lingering depression to have a fuzzy buddy to take care of and love and spoil etc.
It worked. Although I still miss(ed) my little doggy, Jayna has to be a reincarnation of him and Zan made sure I get plenty of sideswipes and makes sure I pet him NOW. Jayna is the headbutt queen and loves to snuggle and bonk you with her little head while purring and drooling on you, as long as it is on her time. She also loves playing fetch with crumpled up balls of paper. Zan lives for the red dot and will play laser for hours he is also the more snuggley of the two content to curl up between your legs or just sit on the corner of your desk being a catgoyle or curled up in the cat bed on one of our desks.

Yesterday I was watching some internet videos with my headset on while my wife was back in the bedroom chillin with the kitties.
At some point Zan jumped down to go do cat things as cats do from time to time.
Shortly after that my wife yelled down the hall "what was that?". Being that I had my headphones on I hadn't heard anything. I took off my headset and then heard a rattly, wheezy sound followed by a familiar "bringing up a hairball" sound. So, I went to check on the cats to see who was throwing up in the floor.

Everything that followed next is a huge blur.
Zan was crouched in the floor trying to throw up, he wasn't breathing right. I went to him and he ran a few steps and started writhing around on the floor. I yelled for my wife to call the emergency vet. Before she could even get to the phone Zan ran down the hall, sort of sliding along the wall to help hold him up. I went to the phone to call the vet as my wife tried to comfort him. We were both in extreme panic mode at this point.
Then my wife yelled to me that Zan had stopped breathing. Heartbreak and panic hit me like a truck.
I ran to the bedroom, he was laying still on the floor. I reached out and picked up my little friend he was limp and not breathing.
Every emotion that you could imagine was exploding around me.
Then, I did the only thing I knew to do when someone stops breathing. I tried breathing for him.
My wife tried giving him some chest compressions and I put my mouth over his little face and blew air in to his lungs.
Once, twice, three times. I'm not sure how long I continued mouth to mouth. It seemed like ages.
It didn't seem to be doing anything and I laid his little limp body down on the floor in front of me. I just knew he was gone.
Then he sputtered. My wife pleaded for me to do it again.
And I did.
He coughed once and a kibble fell out of his mouth.
He started breathing again on his on! His breathing was shallow, his heart rate was way up and of course he was wobbly and a bit freaked out. But our little guy has a chance at this point!

He had choked on his food and between me giving him mouth to mouth and my wife doing the compressions (Kitty Heimlich maneuver?) we had revived him for now.

I went to call the emergency vet to let them know we were coming and what to expect while my wife watched over Zan. My fingers weren't co-operating at all. My hands were shaking so bad I'd dial 3 of the same number and have to correct. Finally I got through to them and they told us to come on over.

With Zan in the carrier we hauled rear end over to the vet and they took him back immediately to check him out.
So there I stood hoping my little buddy was ok..
Crying and with cat barf I wiped from my face all over my shirt all I could do was pace in the lobby while we waited to hear something.
A vet tech came out and told us he looks good, he's going to make it but they want to check a few more things.
We told her to do whatever he needs. After a few minutes the vet came to talk to us and said Zan looked really good and to watch him over night. They also saw some possible asthma and gave him a cortisone shot for that.

Needless to say he was watched VERY closely last night, most of which he spent curled up between my legs. The cortisone shot, along with everything else he had been through, made him groggy so sleepy cat was sleepy. The rest of the night he laid on my wife and if he so much as farted she checked to see if he was ok.

I'm thrilled to say our little buddy Zan is doing really good today. He's hung out on my desk with me and he is pretty much back to being the Purr Monster. Dude has a motor!

Jayna has stopped hissing at the "hospital smelling" cat and stopped by to get me a few reassuring boops.

I have to say that writing all this out brought back a lot of the emotion from yesterday but it was also cathartic as well.
Two things that I learned from all of this was #1, Never give up. I thought he was done but he proved me otherwise and #2. Cat barf wont stop me from trying to save my buddy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The groundhogs moved out before I could get good pictures(I got one of a tail) but some raccoons have moved in. :3:

Sorry for the lovely through a door pics, but we didn't want to scare her by going outside, since she lives under the deck and might see it as an attack on her home.

EDIT: MUCH better picture when she came back:

A Fancy 400 lbs has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Oct 9, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Tater Tot 13 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this story. It is uplifting and feel good to me but if there is a better place for it to be posted just let me know.

It absolutely is. I'm glad your catbuddy is doing okay! You and your wife should be proud.

Here is a cat picture in the spirit of Halloween.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I'm very glad your kitty is OK! I know how that episode must have felt, and the roller coaster ride between giving up, and giving it that one last try that works. Good for you!

My lovely Missy, who I had to have put down about a year ago, gave me a terrible scare like that, once. I wake up to find her curled up at my feet. That is not unusual, but she always wakes up as soon as I move; this time, she does not. I sit up in bed and pet her, talking to her, and waiting for her to open her eyes. Then, I realize I don't see her chest moving. I start to worry, and I shake her: no response. I jostle her more, her eyes stay shut, and her stomach still isn't moving. I feel a cold rock in the pit of my stomach. I've had this cat for a decade, she's been back and forth across the country with me half a dozen times or more, lived in Miami, Vegas, Cleveland, and LA with me, and was the first pet my wife and I chose, together. My marriage failed, but I still had the cat. She was very important to me.

Anyway, I'm shaking her pretty vigorously at this point, and I even lifted the top half of her body and dropped it back to the bed a couple of times: utterly limp, no response whatsoever. I couldn't hear or feel breath when I put my ear to her mouth. She was gone, as far as I could tell. She seemed so far gone that I gave up after a few more stomach compressions. I picked her up, and nuzzled her, then set her back on the bed and went to call my ex-wife, to let her know Missy was gone. I was in the living room, and my ex had just picked up the phone, when I heard a loud crash, followed a by a couple of thumps, then that rapid-fire sound of a cat hauling rear end, and Missy comes FLYING around the corner from the bedroom, ricochets off the hallway wall, and barrels into my legs. It is one of the freakiest experiences I have ever had; I would have bet everything I owned that Missy was dead when I put her down on that bed and left the room.

That sort of incident really makes you appreciate your furry friends.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Radio! posted:

When he goes back to see the lonely little one on the blanket oh my god.

This and Tater Tot 13's story make me wish I could go get a shelter buddy so bad.

This is the best thread :3:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tater Tot 13 posted:

Your story was awesome, especially so as I just recently got a cat myself. :)

His name is Priimus (yes, with two "i"s, because that's how we roll in Finland), and we're actually old buddies from before as he used to be my best friend's cat. Said friend and I were also flatmatets once, so this isn't even the first time I'm living together with Priimus. But the thing is, my friend's toddler daughter has gotten old enough to be running around, and Priimus couldn't quite cope with the unwanted attention so I had to adopt him.

I was a bit worried at first because my apartment is quite a bit smaller than what he's gotten used to, but he doesn't seem to mind.
He spends a lot of time in my lap as I sit by the computer, either just snuggling or flat-out sleeping (and twitching in his sleep). Whenever I wake up, I more often than not find him sprawling over half the bed next to me.
He's also pretty vocal. Not obnoxiously so, but we have conversations every day. I hear him meowing in the kitchen, call out to him, he meows again, I reply, and this gets repeated a few more times as he moseys over to me for pettings. His calls are very varied too, ranging from a great big "MOOWWWLLL" to a basic meow to a quizzical, pigeon-like coo, to something I can only describe as a squeak.

And now, there shall be pictures.

Here's Priimus appreciating the summer.

And here he demonstrates his love for geometry by displaying a perfect circle.

Or close enough, at least.

And as completely unrelated bonus content, here is my cousin's Basset Hound puppy.

He's only a few months old in that pic, but of course it's hard to tell because Bassets are droopy like that from the get-go. :buddy:

Nordick has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Oct 10, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Nordick posted:

And as completely unrelated bonus content, here is my cousin's Basset Hound puppy.

He's only a few months old in that pic, but of course it's hard to tell because Bassets are droopy like that from the get-go. :buddy:

Wrinkly dogs are awesome! You can grab their lips, stretch 'em out and flap them! "Whoosa airplane doggy? YOU are! Bb-b-b-r-r-r-r-r!"

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

SilverSliver posted:

Wrinkly dogs are awesome! You can grab their lips, stretch 'em out and flap them! "Whoosa airplane doggy? YOU are! Bb-b-b-r-r-r-r-r!"

I have a non-wrinkly dog and I still do that. I'm typically rewarded with a sneeze to the face. I've learned to keep my mouth closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nordick posted:

:kimchi: He looks exactly like my grandmother's old basset hound Lizzie. She was blind as a bat but the lovingest drat dog you'd ever seen. She never did learn how to get around, she preferred the Roomba method- keep going until she thumps into something/someone, turn a few degrees, resume charging, repeat as necessary until either the food bowl or a lap is found.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Oct 10, 2013

• Locked thread