Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Is amazon the best place to snag a copy of D2? Or is there a better deal lurking out there somewhere? Looking forward to the mount riding and leveling up reincarnations improvements. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrManiac posted:

I heard the later games were a little better so I have no idea why they ported the worst one.

Zero is apparently slightly better gameplay wise but turns up the skeeviness in a big way. 2, from my understanding, is actually really bad as it traded the strategy battles for a piss poor Valkyrie profile ripoff.

Thankfully I never bought any past the first (which I quickly regretted.)

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.

Cheap Trick posted:

I'd like to answer your questions, as I've been trying to play for a few days since it dropped on the EU PSN.

But the game always freezes when using certain skills, and I can replicate this consistently. This is after going so far as performing a full system restore and re-downloading the game.

I've just reached the post-game and had no such issue, but with a physical copy.

Brasseye posted:

A few questions for anyone thats already picked up disgaea D2, are combination attacks in the game like from number 3? And would it be possible to get a quick explanation of how this mount system works? And are monsters viable party members this time round?

I'm not certain about the terminology, but in D2, when a character does a simple physical attack, not only he has a chance to get help from the characters around him, but all the characters that are in position to attack the target have a chance of getting a free attack as well, this includes bow and gun users.

Mounting replaces magichange. Basically, the monster is the one being attacked while the mounting character is the one attacking. It can be a good way to make your most squishy characters more durable. But they can't get help on attack, they can't help during other characters attack, and they can't be stacked. Overall I didn't use it that much.

I am ambivalent about D2, coming from Disgaea 3 Vita and Disgaea 4. I like some changes a lot, like the Cheat Shop, or the removal of rarity. I miss the char world and the PPS item cloning mechanics. I liked the campaign progression, although it requires a bit of grinding between maps in the later chapters. Most maps have an interesting balance of puzzle vs monster level, and quite a few will require to focus on a particular mechanic, like throwing or jumping in order to succeed. IIRC, those kind of maps where mostly available in X-Dimension or HoC Maps before.

But my major complaint right now is that the post-game grind looks daunting. It looks like bribing my way into Cave of Ordeal doesn't work reliably, and my nowhere near able to kill lvl 1000+ monsters. From what I can see, it looks like the game wants me to grind my way to those level in the item world, which isn't a appealing prospect.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

My name aint Jerry posted:

I've just reached the post-game and had no such issue, but with a physical copy.

That would be my luck. I don't like the thought of double-dipping just so I can get a properly working game.

Edit: At least it's not just me. The issue may be tied to the 4.5 firmware. No response from NISA so far :waycool:

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 7, 2013

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

That would be my luck. I don't like the thought of double-dipping just so I can get a properly working game.

Edit: At least it's not just me. The issue may be tied to the 4.5 firmware. No response from NISA so far :waycool:

poo poo thanks for the warning, that sucks. Ive ordered a physical copy, definitely don't want to deal with that right now.

Sounds like I'll get on well with the game, I normally just beat the campaign missions in disgaea and mess around in item worlds as I go. I never managed to get very far into the postgame of any of the titles I've played but I only started on number 3.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I just got a tracking notification. My copy of D2 was just delivered. Now to sit at work watching Autodesk products install for another hour before I can drive an hour to play.

Always order from NISA directly you always get it early.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

pixaal posted:

I just got a tracking notification. My copy of D2 was just delivered. Now to sit at work watching Autodesk products install for another hour before I can drive an hour to play.

Always order from NISA directly you always get it early.

D4 actually needed a second printing for preorders and delayed all shipments after a certain date for several days after release. At least I think that was the problem. So this time I resolved to just pick it up at the store. Oh well.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

D4 actually needed a second printing for preorders and delayed all shipments after a certain date for several days after release. At least I think that was the problem. So this time I resolved to just pick it up at the store. Oh well.

Only for the special edition crap. If you just ordered only the game, it should've already went out last Friday. I'm in Canada and they already processed it here this morning.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

This also happened with D2, if you subscribe to the newsletter you get an email about the cutoff date when it happens. I assumed they also post about it but I couldn't find it on their website. Just tick the box to get email by them they only email you when a new game is coming out and you probably want to know that anyway. I don't think I've considered anything they have sent to be spam.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Some more Disgaea D2 bugs I've found while playing the NA version for a hour:

-The opening movie is cut too early and stops before the end of the song.
-Laharl sometimes gets set to 1 HP when finishing a map for no real reason at all.
-Currently trophies aren't syncing correctly (they appear fine in Offline Mode), but that might be a product of the release date being tomorrow rather than an actual bug.

It's really strange. I've seen similar problems from other people on NIS' forums, so it's not just my own copy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arctic Cress posted:

Some more Disgaea D2 bugs I've found while playing the NA version for a hour:

-The opening movie is cut too early and stops before the end of the song.
-Laharl sometimes gets set to 1 HP when finishing a map for no real reason at all.
-Currently trophies aren't syncing correctly (they appear fine in Offline Mode), but that might be a product of the release date being tomorrow rather than an actual bug.

It's really strange. I've seen similar problems from other people on NIS' forums, so it's not just my own copy.

I saw the movie get cut off, but I haven't seen laharl screw up yet, since I got the game this afternoon.

Off to a lovely start though. Gave my healer a book with the Books use Res evility, that ought to be useful.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

For anyone who has the game, do I need a generic healer? I assume Flonne is in and can handle healing? I like to run with only story characters as much as possible (though I plan to have a heavy knight after I heard about his block skill)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Good Citizen posted:

For anyone who has the game, do I need a generic healer? I assume Flonne is in and can handle healing? I like to run with only story characters as much as possible (though I plan to have a heavy knight after I heard about his block skill)

Flonne is a great healer and her Evility makes her a powerhouse when she's done enough healing during a match, but I'd argue that the Cleric is more effective due to her Advanced Healing Evility. That tags a bonus onto any Heal spell she casts that's equal to 25% of the target's max HP. It makes her incredibly efficient.

Flonne's a better hybrid and has one of the better early-game unique skills with Love Knuckle, but Advanced Healing is better for actual health restoration.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Flonne is a great healer and her Evility makes her a powerhouse when she's done enough healing during a match, but I'd argue that the Cleric is more effective due to her Advanced Healing Evility. That tags a bonus onto any Heal spell she casts that's equal to 25% of the target's max HP. It makes her incredibly efficient.

Flonne's a better hybrid and has one of the better early-game unique skills with Love Knuckle, but Advanced Healing is better for actual health restoration.

Early to midgame is good enough for me. I'm sure when things get serious
I can unlock/dlc Marona or another unique healer.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Arctic Cress posted:

This happened every drat time I finished a map, I kept thinking it was a story reason I missed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Did swords return to the glory they were in Disgaea o.g., or are they still the poo poo we've become accustomed to lately?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

This happened every drat time I finished a map, I kept thinking it was a story reason I missed.

That sounds like it would be mildly annoying once you get to a real grinding map, but otherwise it would just let you get the higher tier muscles faster.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

5er posted:

Did swords return to the glory they were in Disgaea o.g., or are they still the poo poo we've become accustomed to lately?

No idea, I've only unlocked Blade Rush so far.

The first level of more expensive stuff unlocked a lot more ranks than it used to I noticed. It used to only got up 2 or 3, but I got six new ranks with a single Bill.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
So far the item worlds in DD2 are kind of boring. I miss having branching levels and shitloads of events. So far it seems like things are pretty straightforward, much like D1 was.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There was a delay on the strategy guide if you ordered through Amazon or other sites. There are reports that GameStop got plenty of physical copies, but online orders got pushed back some.

If you'd prefer, to make up for the delay, you can get the guide for free with registration on Prima's website.

Apologies for the plug.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haven't checked it out yet, but: Does the monster mount system replace the old Magichange system or is that still in too?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Speedball posted:

Haven't checked it out yet, but: Does the monster mount system replace the old Magichange system or is that still in too?

Yes, there's no magichanging any more.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oh my goodness. Old school weapon proficiencies! Laharl's classic music (of which I've only heard the chiptune retread from the other Disgaeas from the last 10 years)! The updated Rosen Queen tune! O.G. monsters with hi-res sprites! I'm completely dangling somewhere between a nostalgic surge and satisfaction with the interface improvements... not the least of which is observing how quickly saving and loading behave.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anywhere have information on how to unlock the classes? I can't find it in the Prima guide and I'm not about to start not using a samurai.

e: apparently this information is included in-game now!

e2: well, sorta. I'm going to guess that the ??? class for them is archers, based on the pattern in previous games.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 9, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
/\ For those who want to know, class unlocks are shown in the data shop. Unknown classes in requirements are shown as a silhouette.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are there any switches or anything to find in D4? I just started this and the information online seems to be sparse compared to the earlier entries in the series.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
Anyone else get the guide having trouble getting Raspberryl?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have a strange love for Disgaea even though I normally don't enjoy srpgs and I've never found anime that I actually enjoyed watching. Something about how the game never takes itself too seriously and how you can speed up the battles by disabling the scenes for special moves and changing move speed etc. I've played Disgaea 1 for the PSP and 3 for the Vita. I have been considering picking up 4 but now that D2 is out, I don't know whether it's worth skipping 4 and going straight to the latest release.

For someone who's never experienced either release, do you think I'd be better off just grabbing D2 or saving a few bucks and picking up 4?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hekk posted:

I have a strange love for Disgaea even though I normally don't enjoy srpgs and I've never found anime that I actually enjoyed watching. Something about how the game never takes itself too seriously and how you can speed up the battles by disabling the scenes for special moves and changing move speed etc. I've played Disgaea 1 for the PSP and 3 for the Vita. I have been considering picking up 4 but now that D2 is out, I don't know whether it's worth skipping 4 and going straight to the latest release.

For someone who's never experienced either release, do you think I'd be better off just grabbing D2 or saving a few bucks and picking up 4?

Both are great games and I'd recommend either. If you decide on 4 then don't patch your game until you've abused the hell out of the dupe glitch in the early post game. I really like the cast of 4 but DD2 has some great quality of life improvements and everything feels smoother and more dynamic. I'm only up through chapter 3 in dd2 though so I can't talk about the supporting cast outside of the usual suspects or how the post game works out.

I'd have a tough time deciding at on one at the moment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Both are great games and I'd recommend either. If you decide on 4 then don't patch your game until you've abused the hell out of the dupe glitch in the early post game. I really like the cast of 4 but DD2 has some great quality of life improvements and everything feels smoother and more dynamic. I'm only up through chapter 3 in dd2 though so I can't talk about the supporting cast outside of the usual suspects or how the post game works out.

I'd have a tough time deciding at on one at the moment.

Well he apparently has a vita since he played 3 on vita, and the portable editions come with all the DLC and some new stuff. Waiting for 4 to come to vita and picking up D2 might be the best in term of value. Also there is some free DLC in D2 for the first month of release that they are going to charge for after so there is that!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

pixaal posted:

Well he apparently has a vita since he played 3 on vita, and the portable editions come with all the DLC and some new stuff. Waiting for 4 to come to vita and picking up D2 might be the best in term of value. Also there is some free DLC in D2 for the first month of release that they are going to charge for after so there is that!

I wasn't aware there were plans to port 4 to the vita. I think I'll give D2 a shot then. Thanks for the help.

NO BEN
Jul 27, 2007
I'm playing D2 and I just killed my first item world general on level 10, and my item is.... level 10. If I recall correctly, in previous games, you could skip entire floors with no detriment; but if you killed an item general, it would raise the item level appreciably. Did they take this out? Maybe they mentioned it and I missed it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NO BEN posted:

I'm playing D2 and I just killed my first item world general on level 10, and my item is.... level 10. If I recall correctly, in previous games, you could skip entire floors with no detriment; but if you killed an item general, it would raise the item level appreciably. Did they take this out? Maybe they mentioned it and I missed it.

Killing an Item General's never made the item higher leveled, you just get an extra boost to the stats for doing it.

NO BEN
Jul 27, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Killing an Item General's never made the item higher leveled, you just get an extra boost to the stats for doing it.

Ah, then I'm just mis-remembering then. Thanks

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hekk posted:

I wasn't aware there were plans to port 4 to the vita. I think I'll give D2 a shot then. Thanks for the help.

Even if it wasn't formally announced, considering they ported 1-3 to portables, it was kind-of a guarantee anyway.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

D2 question. I'm about a little bit into Chapter 2, and I don't think I see a way that there is going to be an XP or mana leeching gimmick like Disgaea 3 and 4 had. Is there a mechanic coming down the way, or is it back to 'participate in combo attack' tedium?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

5er posted:

D2 question. I'm about a little bit into Chapter 2, and I don't think I see a way that there is going to be an XP or mana leeching gimmick like Disgaea 3 and 4 had. Is there a mechanic coming down the way, or is it back to 'participate in combo attack' tedium?

Getting a really powerful monster and letting some weakling ride around on him seems like the best deal I've found so far.

E: does anyone know what the deal is with the cheat shop? I get messages every once in a whole saying things have changed at the shop but I haven't been able to find it in the base.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 9, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

E: does anyone know what the deal is with the cheat shop? I get messages every once in a whole saying things have changed at the shop but I haven't been able to find it in the base.

It's in the garden area, hidden behind the doors. Not sure if the shopkeep's there right away or takes a few chapters to appear.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
My tracking information has said my copy of the special edition has been at a sorting facility, ready to go out on delivery, for 3 days now. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's in the garden area, hidden behind the doors. Not sure if the shopkeep's there right away or takes a few chapters to appear.

He's there from the beginning. Maybe Chapter 2 at the latest. It's really nice that it lets you easily set the monster difficulty without dicking around with the Senate.

So how does the new game over mechanic work exactly in D2? I think something said that you just show up at the hospital if your team gets wiped. Does it work - and do you keep xp that you earned in that battle? What happens if you just get stalemated with 1 dude who can't reach a last enemy on an island, or something? Pretty sure the manual said that if you give up using the menu during battle, that you lose your progress since the last save.

• Locked thread