Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

RatHat posted:

So I know I'll be killed if I go into the dungeon without killing a certain boss first, but can I climb over it instead? I was trying to go to the ocean/edge of the map and it's kinda in the way.

Yup, only entering it and going below 0 feet will kill you. You can go above it, around it, dig around it, whatever, as long as you don't go inside with killing the boss first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Note that digging really close to it below 0 feet may cause the Guardian to go schizo and murder you without warning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man, I was way more worried about the Eye of Cthulhu than I should've been. Being able to loving Spiderman my way around my world's living tree and a nearby tower I'd built combined with my Diamond Staff made quick work of him. :science:

If I felt he was really, really easy, do I stand a good chance versus the Eater?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, I was way more worried about the Eye of Cthulhu than I should've been. Being able to loving Spiderman my way around my world's living tree and a nearby tower I'd built combined with my Diamond Staff made quick work of him. :science:

If I felt he was really, really easy, do I stand a good chance versus the Eater?

Eater is a chump since he tends to just fall apart if you look at him with anything that pierces. Every segment has to get blown to bits to win the fight but it really is incredibly easy, just be sure to have an ironskin and regen potion active and a lot of his damage is neutered, particularly if you have silver armor or higher.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
The diamond staff is an amazing weapon, moreso if you're still that early in. Eater should be cake for you, especially if you have decent armor. Double especially if you have any spiky balls to dump all over the floor before summoning him.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

If you get a Vilethorn in the Shadow Orbs you break to summon the Eater, you're basically golden as long as you have a decent mana pool and can minimally facetank some damage. The segments that die will drop mana stars, and the piercing just wrecks him.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Ironskin + Gold armor + health drops from segments basically makes you invulnerable as long as you kill the parts fast enough. The vilethorn is one of the best ways to kill him at that stage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

That depends. How much trouble do you have with Devourers/Giant Worms? The Eater of Worlds is basically a boss form of that; it's really less about dodging attacks like the eye is and more about damage racing it. If you have a good way of doing a metric fuckton of localized, rapid-fire and/or piercing damage along with some decent armor (I'd say Silver/Tungsten or better armor, and either Vilethorn or a decent spear) then you're pretty golden.

e:f;b so very hard.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2013

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I would love some sort of inverse-raincloud block that made smoke for chimneys.

Also, I still haven't found the goddamn plantera bulb. Are there places in the jungle it is more likely to spawn? I've carved out and illuminated almost everything around the underground temple.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kyrosiris posted:

Get a weapon or spell that pierces, and Eater becomes a cakewalk. My hardmode character held out his flail and just ate the damage, and it still killed him without trouble.

However, if you don't have a piercing weapon, then I'd set up a wood platform arena in case you need some breathing room. Or just get a vilethorn from a shadow orb.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I've either got a full set of Platinum Armor or a full set of Jungle Armor, plus my Diamond Staff and a Phaseblade, and the Musket from my first Shadow Orb.

I may hold off on going after him until I get the Tinkerer, though, so I can merge some of my accessories (get a Blizzard in a Balloon, Mana Flower, etc).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
No point, just kill the dude. You are so massively overarmed for the encounter it'll be nothing more than a small speedbump. Hell you could probably kill 2-3 eaters at a time without too big a problem.

First time I ever killed him I did it with iron armor and a silver broadsword, so uh, yeah. Not hard.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 8, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah you are more than loving ready go kill him already :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Oh yeah you are more than loving ready go kill him already :v:

Oh well okay :yayclod: Of course I gotta go find two more Orbs but whatever.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh well okay :yayclod: Of course I gotta go find two more Orbs but whatever.

Or just get 6 vile mushrooms, 15 chunks of meat and a glass bottle.

Set the bottle on a table, turn the 'shrooms into vile powder, then make 'worm food' at the altar.

Boom! Boss fight, easy demonite ore/shadow scales. Seriously, with your gear set, it won't stand a chance.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Boom! Boss fight, easy demonite ore/shadow scales. Seriously, with your gear set, it won't stand a chance.

Yeah, I've been exploring incredibly aggressively. I lucked into a huge cache of sapphires which turned into a hook and a staff, and then found a pretty decent vein of diamond - enough to make a staff, at least - and that thing has seriously been murdering everything, I love it to bits.

Glad I listened to my girlfriend, because I'd been going through a serious "nothing sounds fun to play" funk but goddamn this game is great. :neckbeard:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Now I can finally do WoF :confuoot:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I keep wanting to try a magic character but then I keep getting early goblin armies and harpoons are just so hard to pass up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fewd posted:

I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Now I can finally do WoF :confuoot:

If you're in a Small world, Wyverns can and will attack pretty much any village higher than, oh, 200 feet above sea level on any given Hardmode Blood Moon. And Wights seriously give no fucks as they can phase through everything.

You're probably safe from invasions and eclipses, though.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Tanith posted:

I would love some sort of inverse-raincloud block that made smoke for chimneys.

Also, I still haven't found the goddamn plantera bulb. Are there places in the jungle it is more likely to spawn? I've carved out and illuminated almost everything around the underground temple.

Have you killed a hardmode boss yet? 'cause one flower seem to bloom for each one that you kill.
(Bee queens might count as well, unsure if other bosses count.)
I think I have about five or six seperate flowers spread through my jungle that I have found so far, and I have already destroyed three flowers. (destroyed one with dynamite, turns out this doesn't count, so uh, don't do that)

Edit: \/\/\/ Good to know!

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 8, 2013

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ssthalar posted:

Have you killed a hardmode boss yet? 'cause one flower seem to bloom for each one that you kill.
(Bee queens might count as well, unsure if other bosses count.)
I think I have about five or six flowers spread through my jungle that I have found so far, and I have already destroyed three flowers. (destroyed one with dynamite, turns out this doesn't count, so uh, don't do that)

A new flower spawns every time you kill plantera.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I've either got a full set of Platinum Armor or a full set of Jungle Armor, plus my Diamond Staff and a Phaseblade, and the Musket from my first Shadow Orb.

I may hold off on going after him until I get the Tinkerer, though, so I can merge some of my accessories (get a Blizzard in a Balloon, Mana Flower, etc).

The eater is arguably easier than the Eye, and you're probably ready to kill Skeletron in that outfit. poo poo, you're practically ready for Hell.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Why do people hate the guide again?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tarquinn posted:

When the game first came out he didn't have the check-what-this-thing-is-used-to-craft function and had a tendency to leave doors open so your other NPCs/you got eaten by zombies.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

In the early days it didn't help and only opened the door at night, just in time to be killed by skeletons.

Changing topic, Powered by birds is the best painting :colbert:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

Because gently caress the guide.

No seriously, he has no real reason to be hated but you literally have to kill him to progress in the game, so why not go with it?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Stems back to when the game came out.
The guide would happily wander around, even during blood moons, and would be most graciously and open the door for all the monsters outside all the time.

Edit: Beaten like the goddamn guide!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarquinn posted:

He didn't always do the Material thing where he told you what to craft, and when you first started he'd just give you bullshit tutorial messages. "You should cut down trees" "You should build a house" Then he would die, and a new guide would come back. It was hard not to hate him. Also he'd open the door at let your poo poo get wrecked by whatever was outside.

e:fb

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

KataraniSword posted:

If you're in a Small world, Wyverns can and will attack pretty much any village higher than, oh, 200 feet above sea level on any given Hardmode Blood Moon. And Wights seriously give no fucks as they can phase through everything.

You're probably safe from invasions and eclipses, though.

Nah, this is large. Looking at the map even the biggest treetop is well below floating island level where wyverns spawn afaik.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Why in christ's name would you add trophies to the game but not make them a guaranteed drop from the bosses?

This is me with the turtle armour, afk farming vertebrae to summon brains because the first twenty or so didn't drop the trophy. Exciting gameplay!

vvvv :argh:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2013

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Why in christ's name would you add trophies to the game but not make them a guaranteed drop from the bosses?

This is me with the turtle armour, afk farming vertebrae to summon brains because the first twenty or so didn't drop the trophy. Exciting gameplay!

Heh, look at this scrub who didn't even get 3 brain trophies from his first 3 brain fights. :smug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

I mean, even before this patch it was pretty clear that grinding to get gear was a staple for completionists who have to have everything. It hasn't changed.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
New to Terraria so please excuse the newbish questions.

I think I'm stuck in progression at getting Meteorites to drop so I can craft Meteor Armor. The Wiki says I need to smash a Demon Heart (I have a Crimson world) to get Meteorites. The demon hearts I've found so far are surrounded by Crimtane. The wiki says I need a Deathbringer Pickaxe to mine Crimtane, thus get to the Demon Heart. However, the wiki says that in order to make a Deathbringer Pickaxe, I need tissue samples, which are dropped by Brain of Cthulu, which I can only summon by smashing Demon Hearts. This looks like a Catch-22 but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

On the plus side. I found a Godly Bone Sword last night stuck in the head of a random skeleton, so that was pretty sweet.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I've found the answer: Bloody Vertebraes!

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

RatHat posted:

So I know I'll die if I go into the dungeon without killing a certain boss first, but can I climb over it instead? I was trying to go to the ocean/edge of the map and it's kinda in the way.

Note that in 1.2 the Dungeon Guardian that kills you actually has a drop. If you wanna go for it, you should probably come back in the endgame with a friend. :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Why is it important to get the trophies anyway, they don't do anything :confused:

Turtlicious posted:

He didn't always do the Material thing where he told you what to craft, and when you first started he'd just give you bullshit tutorial messages. "You should cut down trees" "You should build a house" Then he would die, and a new guide would come back. It was hard not to hate him. Also he'd open the door at let your poo poo get wrecked by whatever was outside.

e:fb

In this way, the Guide was actually kind of a great tutorial, since he immediately forced you to learn how to manage NPCs and keep them from idiotically wandering into mobs of zombies and spinning in circles until they died. :v:

Mental Midget posted:

I think I'm stuck in progression at getting Meteorites to drop so I can craft Meteor Armor. The Wiki says I need to smash a Demon Heart (I have a Crimson world) to get Meteorites. The demon hearts I've found so far are surrounded by Crimtane. The wiki says I need a Deathbringer Pickaxe to mine Crimtane, thus get to the Demon Heart. However, the wiki says that in order to make a Deathbringer Pickaxe, I need tissue samples, which are dropped by Brain of Cthulu, which I can only summon by smashing Demon Hearts. This looks like a Catch-22 but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

On the plus side. I found a Godly Bone Sword last night stuck in the head of a random skeleton, so that was pretty sweet.

You can combine the Vertebrae you get from Crimson things at an altar to make an item that summons the Brain. However, it's easier and better to just use bombs and dynamite - they destroy Crimstone.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mental Midget posted:

You can either:
- use explosives to destroy the crimstone blocks
- buy purification powder from the dryad (if you've defeated the Eye of Cthulu) and it turns crimstone into normal stone

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mental Midget posted:

When you beat an Eye/(Brain/Eater) you're eligible to get the Dryad, who sells purification powder that turns corrupted/crimson stone into normal stone.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mental Midget posted:

You can mine crimtane with demonite, and you can get that by killing the eye of cthulu which should spawn as soon as you have 200? health or something like that. Alternatively and less effort you can use bombs to blow up crimtane blocks.

E; beaten

But the takeaway from this is that explosives can solve your problems about 98% of the time.

vvvv Ah yes, right. Forgot about the scales.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 8, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sloober posted:

You can mine crimtane with demonite, and you can get that by killing the eye of cthulu which should spawn as soon as you have 200? health or something like that. Alternatively and less effort you can use bombs to blow up crimtane blocks.

I think you need Shadow Scales to make the Demonite pick, which means you have to kill the Eater of Worlds, which requires you to get through Ebonstone, which requires a Demonite or Crimtane pick :v:

In Crimson worlds, the Eye drops Crimtane, not Demonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think you need Shadow Scales to make the Demonite pick, which means you have to kill the Eater of Worlds, which requires you to get through Ebonstone, which requires a Demonite or Crimtane pick :v:

No it doesn't. You can use bombs or dynamite to blast through ebonstone and break shadow orbs.

• Locked thread