Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phy posted:

The skrulls look like they were caught in Farmer Hank's silo, stealing his grain.

Not shocking since they are cows.

Fantastic Four 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wonder what the FDA would say if they found out cows are Skrulls.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I wonder what the FDA would say if they found out cows are Skrulls.

Well it gives you super powers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
None of this Skrull conversation has been a joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Skrull Kill Krew owns so much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Skrull Kill Krew owns so much.

Strange things happen when Grant Morrison and Mark Millar work together. Strange, wonderful things.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The covers for Forever Evil are...

...something else

Why's Finch considered a 'star talent' again?

Van Sciver cover isn't that bad but Harley's face is creeping me out.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The teen titans look like they're just passed out drunk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Those trousers on Captain Cold look like they're a trifle uncomfortable.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Why does Johnny Quick's head look like a penis now?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

...something else

Van Sciver cover isn't that bad but Harley's face is creeping me out.

I was surprised to see that the second one was Sciver. It's usually Finch's thing to have everyone have the same face (look at Luthor's and Black Adam's face)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Why does Johnny Quick's head look like a penis now?

He looks like a palette-swapped Green Goblin

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I cannot figure out what the hell is going on with Quick's left leg.

And Bizarro looks terrible in that suit with the piping and it not being purple.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Madkal posted:

I was surprised to see that the second one was Sciver. It's usually Finch's thing to have everyone have the same face (look at Luthor's and Black Adam's face)

I don't know what you're talking about, Black Adam doesn't have the same face as Luthor...

...He has Sinestro's.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I mistook Black Adam's alternate model in Injustice for Luthor.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh god, I'm seeing Liefeld-esque flaws here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

Oh god, I'm seeing Liefeld-esque flaws here.

I was going to mention, I notice the artist went for "mouth WIDE THE gently caress OPEN = death or unconsciousness".

Of course, if Liefeld had drawn it there would've been a heck of a lot more lines on Superwoman's face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So is Johnny Quick there a conehead or something?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is so much good art this week.

For some reason the "Show two pages" setting on comixology decided this was meant to be split.
EDIT: This is from Marvel Knights Spider-Man
Also it has a pretty great cover.

EDIT:
On the other hand...

From the All New X-Men special.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 2, 2013

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

EDIT:
On the other hand...

From the All New X-Men special.

This is one thing I never got. I was powering through my friends copies of DMZ and I noticed the artist would do some great building detail but forget to draw in people's faces. Why do artists do this?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Madkal posted:

This is one thing I never got. I was powering through my friends copies of DMZ and I noticed the artist would do some great building detail but forget to draw in people's faces. Why do artists do this?
I always assumed it was for the same reason cinematographers will focus on an object in a scene and leave everything else out-of-focus: to pull your attention away from the thing your brain will normally lock on to (faces) and put it where they want it to be instead.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It looks like that was a rough/preliminary pencil (if there is a technical term for this I don't know what it is) and they just went ahead and inked it as was without letting the penciler finish it. The cross on the face is a pretty common way of roughing out a head when drawing, to define the major horizontal and vertical shape and volume.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

It looks like that was a rough/preliminary pencil (if there is a technical term for this I don't know what it is) and they just went ahead and inked it as was without letting the penciler finish it. The cross on the face is a pretty common way of roughing out a head when drawing, to define the major horizontal and vertical shape and volume.
In other words, a lovely inker and colorist both of whom didn't know to simply blank out the faces. If they had, it wouldn't be an issue; the reader wouldn't really notice two figures in the background didn't have faces because they probably didn't need to be drawn out given the context of other panels on the page. Instead, two layers of hackery literally left a big gunsight on both of them, and here we are.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because he's fast and reliable for a deadline, which gives him latitude to--quite frankly--suck in many ways. Lots of artists get that latitude if they're capable of occasionally making poster-ready art with a high level of detail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Because he's fast and reliable for a deadline, which gives him latitude to--quite frankly--suck in many ways. Lots of artists get that latitude if they're capable of occasionally making poster-ready art with a high level of detail.

Fast? Reliable? Since when? The dude is known for not being able to do a monthly. He started FE #1 like 5 months ago just so it would ship on time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I stand corrected then. I could have sworn he was more reliable than that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

I stand corrected then. I could have sworn he was more reliable than that

I'm pretty sure his first volume of Dark Knight had a fill in artist by issue 4.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Woops misread.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Feels like this one might have already popped up, but I'm going on a Ms Marvel binge after playing some Marvel Heroes and came across this in the first issue of the 2nd volume:

I'm all for muscles on a woman, but that's not what's ailing that image...

(Also noticed that the sash doesn't actually wrap around her, and the right shoulder lineart sorta just... stops)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
HI KIDS HERE'S MY VAGINA

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What's worse to me is how the kids are drawn. The black kid has cheeks so puffy he looks like a baby - is he supposed to be 4 years old or something? And the kid in front looks like he's either deformed or a close cousin of Alfred E. Newman.

Apparently kids are REALLY HARD to draw, as comic book artists are consistently bad at them. They either look way too young (like above), like little adults, or aliens, like this one from the 9/11 Spiderman issue:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently kids are REALLY HARD to draw, as comic book artists are consistently bad at them. They either look way too young (like above), like little adults, or aliens, like this one from the 9/11 Spiderman issue:

The blonde girl on the left there is Hit-Girl.

Still, I'd rather have badly drawn kids by JRjr than Greg Land tracing. You know the picture I mean.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Still, I'd rather have badly drawn kids by JRjr than Greg Land tracing. You know the picture I mean.

I don't, actually. Are you talking about the cover of Trouble or something?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Too young...for what? The kids up front are clearly meant to be kids.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too young...for what? The kids up front are clearly meant to be kids.
I'm saying the kids in the 9/11 Spiderman panel look like aliens, and the ones in the Ms Marvel image posted by Pimpmust look way younger than their supposed ages (assuming they're not supposed to be 4-5 years old). Two separate things.

And yeah, I can tell they're supposed to be kids. They just look like kids that have had their heads replaced with potatoes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Regrettably not. I'm referring to the image about a third of the way down this page:

http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.com.br/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html

Where kids are concerned, when Land was put on Ultimate Power Pack for some insane reason he wound up being investigated by the FBI.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm saying the kids in the 9/11 Spiderman panel look like aliens, and the ones in the Ms Marvel image posted by Pimpmust look way younger than their supposed ages (assuming they're not supposed to be 4-5 years old). Two separate things.

And yeah, I can tell they're supposed to be kids. They just look like kids that have had their heads replaced with potatoes.

That's just how JRJR draws all people, a mass of horizontal lines.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pimpmust posted:

the right shoulder lineart sorta just... stops)

Actually, I think this one's a colourist problem - you can see lineart for the trapezius and deltoid in her hair, it's just been blockfilled blonde.

The sash is pretty inexcusable though. There's a lot else wrong with the linework there, but that one thing, you can probably blame on the colourist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually, I think this one's a colourist problem - you can see lineart for the trapezius and deltoid in her hair, it's just been blockfilled blonde.

Not unless women have been altered so their necks sprout from their right shoulder.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's worse to me is how the kids are drawn. The black kid has cheeks so puffy he looks like a baby - is he supposed to be 4 years old or something? And the kid in front looks like he's either deformed or a close cousin of Alfred E. Newman.

You think that's bad? Check out this page from Avengers: Initiative 35. Look at the last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

You think that's bad? Check out this page from Avengers: Initiative 35. Look at the last panel.

Being the wife of a supervillain is dangerous. She should get a firearm of some kind. I'm thinking something with a lot of stopping power, like a light machine gun. Fabrique National makes a good one.

It's called the Minimi.