Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

vv That's true too, but I feel like this game just had a ton of holes in it that could have been filled with, like, missions, or story, instead of chasing Mary Ann and never having her call you again.

I'd like to say I want more Mary-Ann missions, but I actually need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Only tangentially related, but this video is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8XqXkIcA2I

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Michael Scott posted:

Only tangentially related, but this video is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8XqXkIcA2I
Hahaha :golfclap:

From the title, though, I thought this was gonna be about OG Loc from San Andreas.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hhahah that was great. That song is basically an earworm. So catchy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TheLoser posted:

So, quick question.

I got 100% completion, the other day, but the special mission for Franklin hasn't appeared yet. I figured it must appear at a certain time like a bunch of other missions, but it just never pops up as I'm messing around the map. Am I missing something?

What special mission are you expecting exactly? At 100% the only missions left open will be any unfinished strangers and freaks for Michael and Trevor because being able to do them is obviously dependant on the ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grab Meatcastle posted:

What special mission are you expecting exactly? At 100% the only missions left open will be any unfinished strangers and freaks for Michael and Trevor because being able to do them is obviously dependant on the ending.

There's a S+F called "The Last One" that unlocks at 100%.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

TheLoser posted:

So, quick question.

I got 100% completion, the other day, but the special mission for Franklin hasn't appeared yet. I figured it must appear at a certain time like a bunch of other missions, but it just never pops up as I'm messing around the map. Am I missing something?

Just be patient. It took around 10 hours before it unlocked for me after I got 100%.

Might help to travel to the mission area, not sure about that though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

It's kind of stupid that the only plane spawns are at the international airport unless you're playing Trevor. If you go to Trevor's airfield as Franklin/Michael the only plane there is a stunt plane that you can't bail out of.

Isn't there a crop duster type plane sitting somewhere near the edge of the Alamo Sea?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm kind of bummed that you can't save any car in a garage and it will always respawn. There's no reason not to upgrade a car you don't own because unless you head back to your garage it's gone forever.

It worked great in Sleeping Dogs because you could buy the car and then call to have it delivered to you anywhere on a street.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I wrote a blog post with my thoughts on GTAV, proposing the "open world test" for missions in GTA-like games. Baically: if it could be done in a non-open-world game, why is it in your game?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

I wrote a blog post with my thoughts on GTAV, proposing the "open world test" for missions in GTA-like games. Baically: if it could be done in a non-open-world game, why is it in your game?

I don't know where you got the impression that you need to use Auto-aim comes from. The game is balanced around it, but it's not necessary at all. I completed the game without using it at all, and turned it on after I'd finished it while replaying rampages to try and see how many kills I could get and it makes the game mind numbingly easy. The game is better without it, but it's in there for people who need it (like the skip function when you keep dying).

And if we removed any element of the game that could be done in a linear game from this genre, you wouldn't be able to do anything in these games at all. You can play Tennis in Top Spin, or Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis, sure, but why is it such a bad thing that you can play a simple version in GTA? I like the Tennis mini-game for what it is, a distraction. I sort of miss Bowling too. Options aren't bad, and I feel as though if open world games had to pass your test, we'd be devoid of them.

Borrowing elements from other genres to enhance your game is not bad, it's pretty awesome. The shooting mechanics of the old GTAs are the hardest thing about those games to return to. If we purposely tried to avoid using things like GTA V's shooting because Max Payne 3's was very similar (to the point of recycled animations) we'd have an anachronistic game that wouldn't be great fun to play.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 8, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone figured out the weird "Come back when your story is complete" thing yet?

Between that and the weird art in the cable car area, I'm kinda wondering if there's anything cool like a hidden mountain fortress or something. I remember all the stuff about the ULTOR pyramid in SR2, and that was kinda fun. It'd be nice to have something similar here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

I figured because it's meant as a smorgasbord game with something for everyone, and thus things that not everyone is going to like too. The linear missions are just one of those things.

I don't really like linear missions either but I don't care because there's SO MUCH else to do.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Aurain posted:

Borrowing elements from other genres to enhance your game is not bad, it's pretty awesome. The shooting mechanics of the old GTAs are the hardest thing about those games to return to. If we purposely tried to avoid using things like GTA V's shooting because Max Payne 3's was very similar (to the point of recycled animations) we'd have an anachronistic game that wouldn't be great fun to play.
Any open world game is, by necessity, going to be a genre mashup of eg shooter, driving, RPG, etc. But what annoys me is not using the shooting mechanics from another game- which is fine- but having so many missions that could literally be in games dedicated to that play style (games that, chances are, execute that narrow genre more effectively than a mashup like GTA). GTA should be about shooting and driving in an open world, not going room to room clearing out bad guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I was using 3 different save slots and I guess they're all hosed up (or the game just is in general now) because no matter what I do, I can't progress the story after "Surveying the Score", and apparently a gently caress ton of people are having the same problem and Rockstar hasn't said anything.

Well, gently caress that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beeez posted:

So in the Lester missions is there a set point in which it's best to sell your stocks? I'm worried I'll sell too soon or too late and I can't follow the guide in the OP because I'm not going to wait til I beat the game to do these missions since I'm not planning on 100% it this go round.

Depending on the stock, they will usually plateau around 80% after about two days, and about 33% for the competitor's rebound, I think. This will decrease greatly with each reload after you've invested, however, so don't do that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1ncdnf/spoilers_how_to_get_max_cash_21b_across_all/

Stock tips.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

kingcobweb posted:

Any open world game is, by necessity, going to be a genre mashup of eg shooter, driving, RPG, etc. But what annoys me is not using the shooting mechanics from another game- which is fine- but having so many missions that could literally be in games dedicated to that play style (games that, chances are, execute that narrow genre more effectively than a mashup like GTA). GTA should be about shooting and driving in an open world, not going room to room clearing out bad guys.

I know what you are saying, but it seems to me that you completely leave out all the other aspects an open world game brings into play. Like the feeling of having total control over where your character will go next, the large open environment with endless room to maneuver and the ability to often choose on your own how to do a mission. It has a completely different atmosphere in this regard than, say, Max Payne 3.

I do concur that GTA keeps bringing in way too many scripted mission elements, which totally collide with the openness. For example, I hated the parts in the extraction heist (Franklin), the armored truck heist (Trevor) or the harbour heist (again as Franklin), where you had to shoot down a helicopter. Both times the game aggressively reminds you that a helicopter is on its way to you and it conveniently flys straight to you, so the pilot can be sniped immediately (or the heli blown up with an RPG in one case). They completely take out the challenge of shooting those down. I noticed this happens in almost any mission featuring an enemy helicopter, too.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Has anyone figured out the weird "Come back when your story is complete" thing yet?

Between that and the weird art in the cable car area, I'm kinda wondering if there's anything cool like a hidden mountain fortress or something. I remember all the stuff about the ULTOR pyramid in SR2, and that was kinda fun. It'd be nice to have something similar here.

Check out this thread;
:siren: Big Spoiler warning :siren: ofcourse.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572054

Qwezz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 8, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There's a great song that plays when (I think) you're doing the first Franklin mission with the drug deal gone wrong, and it has all these great trumpets on it and stuff. Is that on the OST or the radio?

Edit: Got it. Disc 2, track 1

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 8, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I disagree with your litmus test. The only times I stopped enjoying missions were when I was forced to use the sub or the helicopter, because I found the controls too finicky. Or, when I was forced to travel for (what felt like) eternity just to end a mission, even if there was nothing programmed to happen en route.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Depending on the stock, they will usually plateau around 80% after about two days, and about 33% for the competitor's rebound, I think. This will decrease greatly with each reload after you've invested, however, so don't do that.

Alright, thanks. I guess I sold a bit early for the Hotel mission then, as I sold it at about 76%.

As I mentioned, I can't check that out because I don't want end game spoilers. I'm not planning on waiting until post-game to do these missions.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What are some good/stable stocks to invest if I only want to avoid expensive hospital bills?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

As I mentioned, I can't check that out because I don't want end game spoilers. I'm not planning on waiting until post-game to do these missions.
There are no end game spoilers other than "do this after the last heist for maximum payout" and referencing missions you've already done by the time you start assassination missions. Just don^t follow the links/comments.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

VisAbsoluta posted:

What are some good/stable stocks to invest if I only want to avoid expensive hospital bills?

Pisswasser and Hawk & Little on BAWSAQ

Beeez
May 28, 2012

orcane posted:

There are no end game spoilers other than "do this after the last heist for maximum payout" and referencing missions you've already done by the time you start assassination missions. Just don^t follow the links/comments.

Oh, good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I love the reward for the spaceship parts. :allears: Does it actually have any special properties or is it just there for the sake of funny?

I was going to try for all the Under the Bridges, but some of them are pretty ridiculous so I probably won't bother unfortunately.

What are generally considered the best planes to use for the knife flights? Most seem to suggest the fighter jet but are there any others?

Just the jumps to go after this. :)

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

100% is not really 100%... like I wonder how many people actually have gotten True 100%.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pisswasser and Hawk & Little on BAWSAQ
I've made so much on Pisswasser (from investing at 12.70 a share at the end of the game) that it compensated me for accidentally going through the first couple assassination missions without investing properly.

I'm currently over a billion with each character and cashing out & saving in a backup file every day in case Pisswasser finally crashes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Make sure you check a map for under the bridge to see which ones actually count. Also there are three paths through the downtown canals that will get you on the way real quick

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Rapdawg posted:

100% is not really 100%... like I wonder how many people actually have gotten True 100%.

True, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to things like stunt jumps in a Grand Theft Auto game.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Make sure you check a map for under the bridge to see which ones actually count. Also there are three paths through the downtown canals that will get you on the way real quick

I did this and got most of the Los Santos river ones, yeah. Some were still pretty bad though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I love the reward for the spaceship parts. :allears: Does it actually have any special properties or is it just there for the sake of funny?

I was going to try for all the Under the Bridges, but some of them are pretty ridiculous so I probably won't bother unfortunately.

What are generally considered the best planes to use for the knife flights? Most seem to suggest the fighter jet but are there any others?

Just the jumps to go after this. :)
The stunt plane works well for both flight-based "collectibles", there are only like two knife flights which are really tricky, and you have more time to react (as you're slower than the jet) and still have an aircraft which can basically fly straight ahead in this attitude. Some under the bridge flights might be easier with a Buzzard but I mostly had issues when the weather changed to stormy than with the actual stunts. Just quicksave before attempting the really tricky ones.

Was the weird car supposed to be the reward for collecting all spaceship parts? Because I lost that on the way back from that mission :(

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

JazzFlight posted:

I've made so much on Pisswasser (from investing at 12.70 a share at the end of the game) that it compensated me for accidentally going through the first couple assassination missions without investing properly.

I'm currently over a billion with each character and cashing out & saving in a backup file every day in case Pisswasser finally crashes.

I was at over a hundred million on each character from investing in Pisswasser/HAL after the first few heists, without doing any of the end-game assassination missions.

Was kind of surprised to find out at the end that apparently there's a money cap of $2.1 billion that you can't go over, no matter how well you invest. Oh well :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The money cap is a programming limitation, not a design decision

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

The money cap is a programming limitation, not a design decision
Unless there was actually a use to letting people have more money than a signed 32 bit integer can handle (there obviously isn't), so not dealing with that limit is still a design decision on a basic level.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is just coming from an Intel marketing rep, and it's nothing we didn't already know, but Intel on GTA 5 PC release: "I don't think it will be console exclusive very long"

quote:

“I think it hurt Halo overall,” he said in reference to Microsoft’s failed attempts to at first keep it console-exclusive and then poorly porting to the PC. “At least with Grand Theft Auto I don’t think it’ll be console exclusive very long. But that’s what happens when you have a brand new launch with two companies that have lots of money trying to make sure they have content.”

Silva has his opinions as to why we haven’t heard hide nor hair about the PC version of this huge franchise. “Somebody paid a lot of money to make sure that title was exclusive,” he suggested.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

orcane posted:

Unless there was actually a use to letting people have more money than a signed 32 bit integer can handle (there obviously isn't), so not dealing with that limit is still a design decision on a basic level.

The design decision of "eh, whatever it probably won't happen" is the best one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
in this case "eh whatever, it won't matter"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Only just finished it. Does anyone else think that having multiple endings was a really terrible decision and kind of weakened the overall plot/ending/characterisation?

I chose C like any sane person would. Having watched the other two, they're awful and completely out of character for all three of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Only just finished it. Does anyone else think that having multiple endings was a really terrible decision and kind of weakened the overall plot/ending/characterisation?

I chose C like any sane person would. Having watched the other two, they're awful and completely out of character for all three of them.

I think it would've been interesting if you had to choose one of the three to die. It'd make the choice have a lot more impact.

• Locked thread