Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the jizz taxi posted:

I might as well ask here: why has Czech culture and language remained such a persistent island when it's been constantly surrounded and influenced by the (much bigger and traditionally more influential) German culture and language?
Not a historian, but I would guess it has something to do with being quite densely populated and rich historically, having a strong sense of being distinct from the Germans (Having a special status within the HRE, the whole Hussite thing and so on), and being mostly located between highlands/mountain chains. And even then, by 1938, Germans had encroached upon large parts of the territory, though this was obviously reversed following their defeat in WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
German settlers didn't really encroach on anything, they had been invited to colonize the inhospitable borderlands, and first waves of organized German colonization occurred during the High Middle Ages. That doesn't mean there wasn't a huge amount of tensions between the Czechs and Germans of Bohemia throughout the history.

Anti-German sentiments fueled by religious differences rose to prominence in the 15th century, leading to severe reduction of privileges granted to foreign Masters of the Prague University (it was more significant than it sounds), and other events in the build-up to the Hussite revolution. Also, until the 17th century, Czech noble estates were powerful enough to prevent foreign elements from affecting the native language, and a rule that migrant aristocracy had to learn Czech were put into place, together with a privileged administration for Bohemian Christian denominations.

Nevertheless, the failed anti-Habsburg coup of 1618-1619 led to curbing of Bohemian self-governance within the Habsburg monarchy, and to an influx of foreigners who took custody of estates abandoned / seized from rebellious Czechs. German language was also officially put on the same level as Czech, and censorship of literature was introduced to combat seditious ideas of the natives, cities came under German hegemony (Prague in particular became German in nature, and when Czech started founding political parties after 1848, they had to do so in seedy pubs because all high-street establishments were pro-German), and extensive swaths of rural areas largely Germanized and alienated from their customs. Even though ethnic Germans didn't replace ethnic Czechs, the nobility which ran everything from bureaucracy to manufacturing was often ethnically German, and didn't bother to adjust their behaviour to new conditions. This period, which lasted with varying degrees of intensity until the 19th century, has been dubbed as The Dark Ages, but contemporary scholarship argues that this interpretation of history is inluenced by nationalism, and that the violent downfall of Czech culture wasn't nearly as drastic.

The turning point, and renaissance of an independent Czech community, came with the period of National Revival, and the consequent establishment of distinctly Czech linguistic, academic, cultural and political institutions sponsored largely by philanthropists from old Bohemian families that reconnected with their heritage.

tl;dr: The Czechs weren't always an independent or distinct entity, and in fact for long periods of history they were suppressed, and their culture neutered. The modern Czech nationality and culture is to a large extent a reconstruction created by 18-19th century scholars, and spread by politically mobilized activists.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

German settlers didn't really encroach on anything, they had been invited to colonize the inhospitable borderlands, and first waves of organized German colonization occurred during the High Middle Ages. That doesn't mean there wasn't a huge amount of tensions between the Czechs and Germans of Bohemia throughout the history.
Invited by who? I assume the Czech nobility, which could make one question the legitimacy of the invitation in the first place. The other events you describe also seem to fit the word well enough to me, even if it's not straight up American-style swamping of the local population.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Invited by who? I assume the Czech nobility, which could make one question the legitimacy of the invitation in the first place. The other events you describe also seem to fit the word well enough to me, even if it's not straight up American-style swamping of the local population.

By the king.

Also, I should stress that there was a difference between ordinary German settlers who just peacefully lived in their villages and towns, and aristocracy, clergy & bureaucracy that replaced the original owners of feudal titles. The former don't deserve to be shunned, it's the latter who intended to make themselves and their kin into a new ruling class.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

By the king.

Also, I should stress that there was a difference between ordinary German settlers who just peacefully lived in their villages and towns, and aristocracy, clergy & bureaucracy that replaced the original owners of feudal titles. The former don't deserve to be shunned, it's the latter who intended to make themselves and their kin into a new ruling class.
Absolutely, I was just speaking in terms of the Czech-German linguistic/cultural border, though I guess the use of the word encroachment might have unfairly painted the early German settlers with the same brush as the later German nobility.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Absolutely, I was just speaking in terms of the Czech-German linguistic/cultural border, though I guess the use of the word encroachment might have unfairly painted the early German settlers with the same brush as the later German nobility.

In most of these cases, especially before the rise of nationalism, there was no specific intent to encroach upon the other party's culture or language. It's similar to how the Dutch-French linguistic border has shifted slightly northward over the centuries, simply because French at this time had a higher status and was widely accepted as a lingua franca. Most of the natives accepted the cultural conversion 'willingly', albeit under obvious sociological pressure. And just like Flanders is deeply influenced by French culture, I get the impression that German culture has left its mark on the Czechs, despite the aftermath of WWII.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Czech republic is also one of the few countries in europe you can basically see from space without the need of any borders. It's surrounded on all sides by mountains/hills and almost looks like a huge crater in central europe.

Although the real answer is that the Hapsburgs were too lazy to spend a few hundred diplo points to magically convert the Czechs over the course of 2-3 years.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

Czech republic is also one of the few countries in europe you can basically see from space without the need of any borders. It's surrounded on all sides by mountains/hills and almost looks like a huge crater in central europe.

Natural AND pretty borders...it's the dream :swoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

Oh wow I'd never looked at that before. Go to Google Maps and switch the borders off. The eastern part isn't so clear but the north/west border is absolutely along the mountain lines, you really can see most of the country's border purely from natural markers. Neat.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

SaltyJesus posted:

E: Haha
that map posted:
Alsace and Lorraine will again be part of free France

I know this thread makes a big deal out of France's cultural assimilation policies, but speaking as someone from a family with roots in Alsace from pre-french conquest, in 1871 we had no popular desire to join Germany and throughout the Kaiserreich period Alsace-Lorraine was unique in being the only "german" territory to be administered directly from Berlin rather than federally. By 1918 there wasn't necessarily a huge desire to be reincorporated into France but there was definitely a strong undercurrent of pro-french, anti-kaiser sentiment throughout the annexation, and France did in fact give Alsace-Lorraine a few liberties that remain to this day. Cultural imperialism is bad but it was better than the Reich's actual imperialism.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

thecolorpurple posted:

I know this thread makes a big deal out of France's cultural assimilation policies, but speaking as someone from a family with roots in Alsace from pre-french conquest, in 1871 we had no popular desire to join Germany and throughout the Kaiserreich period Alsace-Lorraine was unique in being the only "german" territory to be administered directly from Berlin rather than federally. By 1918 there wasn't necessarily a huge desire to be reincorporated into France but there was definitely a strong undercurrent of pro-french, anti-kaiser sentiment throughout the annexation, and France did in fact give Alsace-Lorraine a few liberties that remain to this day. Cultural imperialism is bad but it was better than the Reich's actual imperialism.

Hey, thanks for the input, I genuinely appreciate it. Can you weigh in on the events of November 1918?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

In most of these cases, especially before the rise of nationalism, there was no specific intent to encroach upon the other party's culture or language. It's similar to how the Dutch-French linguistic border has shifted slightly northward over the centuries, simply because French at this time had a higher status and was widely accepted as a lingua franca. Most of the natives accepted the cultural conversion 'willingly', albeit under obvious sociological pressure. And just like Flanders is deeply influenced by French culture, I get the impression that German culture has left its mark on the Czechs, despite the aftermath of WWII.
Sure, but there is a major difference still: France didn't control the Netherlands throughout the 19th century.

thecolorpurple posted:

I think it should be mentioned that some of the strict assimilation policies of France were implemented after the loss of Alsace-Lorraine, so that might explain the preference for France over Germany when you include the Prussians being shitheads like usual. Actually, did the Prussians attempt to forcibly integrate/assimilate the region like they did in the Schleswig and Poland, or was it just general mistreatment?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soviet Commubot posted:

This other map he made corresponds a lot more closely even if it's not quite the same.

I think his maps are useful if you use them in conjunction with maps of existing states as a way to show the range of European minority peoples, if not the density or their hypothetical viability as independent states.

This map is interesting in that 1: Skåne is independent for the first time in ever; 2: Germany is unified which has yet to be the rule rather than the norm.

Poland also ate half of Prussia.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Dusseldorf posted:

Is that majority Hispanic or plurality hispanic? I see Ventura county listed as 40% Hispanic.

It's not that every green county is majority Hispanic, but that all those counties combined are majority Hispanic. For example, it includes Loving County, TX, which is only 22% Hispanic, but has a population of 82 and is surrounded by counties with a Hispanic majority or plurality.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, but there is a major difference still: France didn't control the Netherlands throughout the 19th century.

France annexed Belgium after the Austrians were defeated, and turned the Netherlands into a puppet state after the Napoleonic conquests. Anyway, Phlegmish's post referred more to Flanders anyway, which had always been in France's sphere of influence, first as a vassal of the French king, later under the Dukes of Burgundy, who actually unified the Low Countries for a brief period.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Full list here if you can't read the map: http://kerstendirect.com/insights/articles/united-states-nonprofits

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

France annexed Belgium after the Austrians were defeated, and turned the Netherlands into a puppet state after the Napoleonic conquests. Anyway, Phlegmish's post referred more to Flanders anyway, which had always been in France's sphere of influence, first as a vassal of the French king, later under the Dukes of Burgundy, who actually unified the Low Countries for a brief period.
The Napoleonic Wars ended in 1815, being in a sphere of influence is not the same as being a direct subject, and as you say, the Dukes of Burgundy only controlled the territory for a brief period. That's pretty different from the Czechs being part of a German-dominated political entity for around a thousand years, especially since the Czechs were a much less independent part of it during the period in which nationality became increasingly important.

3peat
May 6, 2010

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

This is a really good way of visually making a point of how few countries have adopted something. Are there any other maps done in this style?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apparently spanking falls under corporal punishment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

Apparently spanking falls under corporal punishment.

Unless you've learned to spank someone spiritually or psychologically, then yes.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Unless you've learned to spank someone spiritually or psychologically, then yes.

We should ask Ruddha about that, I hear he has transcended the realm of the corporal. I'm sure there is some DBZ move that could count as spiritual spanking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where's the map that shows countries where sick burns are illegal?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That would just be a map of Bhutan.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boiled Water posted:

That would just be a map of Bhutan.

Though the king of Bhutan is allowed to grow sick sideburns.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can most certainly spank someone psychologically, and it is still child abuse.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

I saw this on tumblr. Thought-provoking.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I saw this on tumblr. Thought-provoking.

Not far enough.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

I think if you convert a save from CK2 that has Sunset Invasions active, the Incas and the Aztecs are buffed up to about European levels.

I think that happens even if you don't get invaded in your CK2 game.

Yeah that's what I meant by Super Inca. The High American tech group is really powerful, and unlike the Europeans, Inca and Aztec have few threats other than each other and thus can easily colonize the rest of the Americas.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Is AFA in Mississippi the American Family Association? SPLC (just next door on the map) designated them a hate group due to their constant harassment of local gays and hate filled radio stations. For more information on this, watch "Small Town Gay Bar" a really sad but heartfelt documentary about a small town gay bar in Shannon, MS. It's on Netflix.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Haha, my home state is all about robots. And my high school was pretty big on the FIRST scene, if I recall.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

big business sloth posted:

Haha, my home state is all about robots. And my high school was pretty big on the FIRST scene, if I recall.

what school? one of my co-workers is heavily involved with a team that has been rather successful the past few years.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

oldswitcheroo posted:

Is AFA in Mississippi the American Family Association? SPLC (just next door on the map) designated them a hate group due to their constant harassment of local gays and hate filled radio stations. For more information on this, watch "Small Town Gay Bar" a really sad but heartfelt documentary about a small town gay bar in Shannon, MS. It's on Netflix.

Yes it is. That's rather interesting...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

oldswitcheroo posted:

It sure is. One of the headlines on their website is "Christian Deaths around the world and Obama's silence". You can feel the :bahgawd: before you even look at their stance on things.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Captain Foo posted:

what school? one of my co-workers is heavily involved with a team that has been rather successful the past few years.

Pembroke.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ah. not the same then (Gilford)

3peat
May 6, 2010

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.
Technically Swedish isn't a foreign language in Finland, though.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah, also that map has no idea how to handle Switzerland and Belgium, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Why is Spanish so high in Sweden and Norway, its not like they have any extra links to Iberia than main land Europe?