Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i'll pay you friday for a hotdog today

trigger warning when you misquote wimpy plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Why are you trying to bring this young entrepreneur down?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

I gotta go with the 'roods on this one, I pitched in for the comedy.

lol yeah sure buddy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ThatPazuzu posted:

If I say something edgy about hot dogs can I get Cool Guy Internet points? What if I do it every day in multiple forums?

these guys seriously underestimate the value of cocol guy internet points

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in non-hot dog kickstarter news, cyan has given up on making computer games and turned to pen & paper rpgs to try and keep myst going

kinda makes sense because myst people have been clamoring for a moddable myst for ages :iamafag: but cyan sucks at programming

too bad pen & paper rpgs are for nerds. oh well

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i get that myst was popular originally because ~beautiful pre rendered 640x480 graphics~ in 1992 or whatever but whats the appeal in it past that.

it was a middling at best graphic adventure and the sequels didn't really improve on it either

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i liked the books when i was 12, they set up a neat universe and uru was supposed to explore a lot more of that. ended up being way too ambitious. it was pretty as hell, but the "gameplay" or whatever you'd call it was laughably bad, and their "interactive, player-driven story" amounted to a few cyan employees roleplaying as characters in the chat and forums

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it was a beautiful game that was also a good game for the time.

also it sold a lot of CD rom drives

it felt like the future when it came out

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Werthog 95 posted:

i liked the books when i was 12, they set up a neat universe and uru was supposed to explore a lot more of that. ended up being way too ambitious. it was pretty as hell, but the "gameplay" or whatever you'd call it was laughably bad, and their "interactive, player-driven story" amounted to a few cyan employees roleplaying as characters in the chat and forums

lol did they really. i've quite frankly never heard of that stuff.

i mean i played the sequel games and all but

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean it's one of the first games where you really had a beautiful world and to explore. the atmospsphere was mysterious and creepy and the player felt super engaged in what was going on

it's really the first game to do that.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Install Windows posted:

lol did they really. i've quite frankly never heard of that stuff.

i mean i played the sequel games and all but

exactly :smith:

idk if i'd find it worthwhile now anymore but when i was a kid i digged the weird logic they came up with to rationalize all the poo poo they threw into myst for no good reason

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I funded that japanese megaman clone thing and i'm not really sure why since I don't really remember any megaman but X. I feel like i am just funding dumb game kickstarters so I can complain when they come out and don't suit my needs

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cryin Burnigan posted:

I funded that japanese megaman clone thing and i'm not really sure why since I don't really remember any megaman but X. I feel like i am just funding dumb game kickstarters so I can complain when they come out and don't suit my needs

you are the problem now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean it's one of the first games where you really had a beautiful world and to explore. the atmospsphere was mysterious and creepy and the player felt super engaged in what was going on

yup

compare to uru, where the rear end in a top hat-physics puzzles often required you to awkwardly steer your 3d avatar around so he'd bump into an object just the right way to roll it onto a switch. so immersive

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Rude. posted:

you are the problem now

the only person i am a problem to is myself. it is much like I have 250 steam games and have probably played 60 of them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

well yeah i know about all that, but not why people apparently were still interested in it after decades and especially in why they were going to be interested in an story by the makers of Impressive 1992 Graphics The Game.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Install Windows posted:

well yeah i know about all that, but not why people apparently were still interested in it after decades and especially in why they were going to be interested in an story by the makers of Impressive 1992 Graphics The Game.

yeah that's dumb

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

mayhaps you've heard of text adventures, with stories and interaction as rich and deep as the most famous works of literature, the scenes as grand and vivid as your mind can conjure, and your options limited only by your vocabulary

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

mayhaps you've heard of text adventures, with stories and interaction as rich and deep as the most famous works of literature, the scenes as grand and vivid as your mind can conjure, and your options limited only by your vocabulary

text adventures own but all cyan can/could manage was slapping cutting edge graphics at the time over a mediocre graphic adventure game

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

For several reasons, we can expect to see future adventures grow in sophistication. The amount of memory in the typical home computer is steadily growing. The 16K "standard" main memory is giving way to 64K or even 128K - and by the time you read this, even more memory may be the norm. Increasingly powerful processors are also moving into home computers, and compilers for programming languages such as C and Modula-2 are becoming available as well. Better processors and languages will ease the programmer's job in creating fancier parsers and action routines. Floppy disk drives are getting cheaper, making it more feasible to get away from tape-loaded programs that have to fit everything into memory at once.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Finally, buyers' expectations will rise. When players see what Cyborg or Zork can do, they aren't likely to remain satisfied with adventures that limit them to two-word sentences. The more complex an adventure program gets in terms of what it can handle, the simpler the player's job will be. The ideal would be a program that could handle any grammatical command or question and come up with a reasonable response. If this sort of program existed, the player could deal with it as easily and flexibly as with a human gamesmaster in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

Getting to that point within the next century might be too much to hope for. But you can be sure that the state of the art will keep advancing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the z machine unironically owns

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
this game blew my friggin nuts clean off

amazing

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
ultimately it doesn't matter if myst was good or not (it wasn't), iirc it was the top selling computer game of all time until the sims came out

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i've never played myst, but i thought its big selling point was that it was a cerebral game that required actual puzzle-solving skills, rather than the "try every item on everything" system in games like monkey island

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Install Windows posted:

i get that myst was popular originally because ~beautiful pre rendered 640x480 graphics~ in 1992 or whatever but whats the appeal in it past that.

it was a middling at best graphic adventure and the sequels didn't really improve on it either
myst (1993 f.y.i.) was poo poo but riven was literally perfect

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sweevo posted:

i've never played myst, but i thought its big selling point was that it was a cerebral game that required actual puzzle-solving skills, rather than the "try every item on everything" system in games like monkey island

and it didn't come with a cheat book with reference clues for poo poo a.k.a. "come up to a puzzle and turn to page 31 for the plainly obvious solution"

it came with vague hints and poo poo in the video books in the library, and iirc came with a phamplet in the box with some cheats if you got stuck... but the point is to play the game you also pretty much had to have a pen and notebook of your own and take notes and reference them later in completely different areas of the game

you had to literally write the own crutch booklet as you played from poo poo you observed in the game, that is what made it the coolest to me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sweevo posted:

not really, it's more along the lines of "try every number set on every console" "put the only number set with the right number of digits into each console" "just flip all the switches and get the one green page without loving around with the other ages" although it had its moments like the water pipes (which were canceled out by bullshit like the rail maze and the complete pointlessness of leaving the main island).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sham bam bamina! posted:

myst (1993 f.y.i.) was poo poo but riven was literally perfect

i never played riven, what was better than myst about it?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sham bam bamina! posted:

not really, it's more along the lines of "try every number set on every console" "put the only number set with the right number of digits into each console" "just flip all the switches and get the one green page without loving around with the other ages" although it had its moments like the water pipes (which were canceled out by bullshit like the rail maze and the complete pointlessness of leaving the main island).

iirc if you knew the matrix code to the inside of the fireplace you could skip like 99% of the game and just go straight to the end

but its been a lonnnnnng time

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

what no, it was seriously a completely standard graphic adventure game

its big selling point was the high tech 256 color 640x480 prerendered graphics.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sniep posted:

i never played riven, what was better than myst about it?
myst is a tech demo, riven is a goddamn world presented in the framework of a game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

iirc if you knew the matrix code to the inside of the fireplace you could skip like 99% of the game and just go straight to the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAh8F6u_dPE

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sniep posted:

the book is right there anyway so you don't even need to know that, just flip to the burned page

gj cyan for not taking five seconds to randomize this or anything else

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

okay, i 'get' speed runs, and how they can be entertaining to watch for a great majority of games

but myst type games speed run is the stupidest thing ive seen in a long time. there's no skill in it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you can also plow through riven in five minutes if you memorize the firemarble positions on that map thingy, that's a pretty dumb metric for judging a myst game

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yes I know they're called firemarbles big deal wanna fight about it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

okay, i 'get' speed runs, and how they can be entertaining to watch for a great majority of games

but myst type games speed run is the stupidest thing ive seen in a long time. there's no skill in it.

the point of it is to that yes, myst is over in 60 seconds if you already figure out that one fireplace code like u said

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

can we all just agree that the longest journey was pretty much the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

and it didn't come with a cheat book with reference clues for poo poo a.k.a. "come up to a puzzle and turn to page 31 for the plainly obvious solution"

it came with vague hints and poo poo in the video books in the library, and iirc came with a phamplet in the box with some cheats if you got stuck... but the point is to play the game you also pretty much had to have a pen and notebook of your own and take notes and reference them later in completely different areas of the game

you had to literally write the own crutch booklet as you played from poo poo you observed in the game, that is what made it the coolest to me

yeah I had to make a map for the mine cart maze and you have to be able to match musical notes at one point

• Locked thread