Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HipGnosis posted:

I can't believe people who whine about how they can't change the name of their racist-rear end :siren:SPORTS TEAM:siren: actually exist. If you're pissed you can't call a sports team a racial slur, you are human garbage and lock yourself in a basement forever.

They SHOULD lock themselves in a basement forever, however they tend to be the loudest assholes outside and in the open possible. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HipGnosis posted:

I can't believe people who whine about how they can't change the name of their racist-rear end :siren:SPORTS TEAM:siren: actually exist. If you're pissed you can't call a sports team a racial slur, you are human garbage and lock yourself in a basement forever.

People today are too sensitive. You can't have a society if everyone just gets all offended at every blatant racist slur and insulting caricature. In my day you called people whatever you wanted and nobody got upset. Now...oh wait hold on there's a fantasy children's movie implying that the Church can be just a tad intolerant sometimes! I won't stand by while Christians are oppressed, not if other faiths think they can insult Christians and get away with it :bahgawd:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

VitalSigns posted:

People today are too sensitive.

I agree, racists are very sensitive about being told not to say racist things.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Scrolling through Facebook I saw this and thought it was a critique of capitalism posted by a lefty friend but nope, it's Ron Paul guy complaining about taxes! Facebook is displaying the image weirdly so I copied the comments and the image separately.

It's like they're so close to having leftist critiques click in their head, and then they just take a hard right and scream "TAXES!!! OBAAAMMMMAAAAAAAA"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Neptr posted:

It's like they're so close to having leftist critiques click in their head, and then they just take a hard right and scream "TAXES!!! OBAAAMMMMAAAAAAAA"

It looks like I'm not the only one who thought it was a leftist critique at first glance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was really poor I didn't pay any taxes and in fact would frequently get refunds and bits of assistance here and there. What poor people are poor because of taxes?? Taxes are a strictly middle-class "problem". The poor are often exempt and the rich know how to avoid them all together.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

When I was really poor I didn't pay any taxes and in fact would frequently get refunds and bits of assistance here and there. What poor people are poor because of taxes?? Taxes are a strictly middle-class "problem". The poor are often exempt and the rich know how to avoid them all together.

People who make $35k or so and have kids or expensive hobbies. Payroll taxes ate $160 off my last check and that's not unbearable but if someone is strapped that $160 seems like an injustice. Also a complete lack of understanding regarding how poverty works and what it is like to be poor in America.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Something like 55% of Americans who make more than $100k in a year identify as middle class, despite being in the top 10% of income earners nationwide. Americans love to throw themselves into lower income categories. Its safe to say that very few people who complain about taxes have experienced the semi-destitution that is usually required to qualify for Medicaid.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Emanuel Collective posted:

Something like 55% of Americans who make more than $100k in a year identify as middle class, despite being in the top 10% of income earners nationwide. Americans love to throw themselves into lower income categories. Its safe to say that very few people who complain about taxes have experienced the semi-destitution that is usually required to qualify for Medicaid.

I would say we have an obsession with the "Middle-Class." No one self identifies as poor, at least where I'm from, since "poor" has become so demonized (and racialized.) I would hazard to guess the vast majority of Americans, or at least White Americans, identify as Middle-Class.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Baronjutter posted:

Last year was the first year I started making serious money.

But before that I always made around 25 to 30k. I always took the largest amount out of my check for taxes and I always owed more. Money I put aside all year often had a big chunk of it taken out for April taxes. It was maddening.

I went up a tax bracket this year and pay a very good bit in taxes each month, but I tell myself this will be the year I get a refund.

This won't be the year I get a refund.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Federal taxes, sure, put there's still state, municipal, property, sales (in general and for things like cable), excises, vehicle registration/inspecion, etc. etc. Some of these like sales taxes and vehicle registration are very much regressive.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Last year was the first year I started making serious money.

But before that I always made around 25 to 30k. I always took the largest amount out of my check for taxes and I always owed more. Money I put aside all year often had a big chunk of it taken out for April taxes. It was maddening.

I went up a tax bracket this year and pay a very good bit in taxes each month, but I tell myself this will be the year I get a refund.

This won't be the year I get a refund.

This is the first year that I'm making good money too (from 2012 to 2013 I basically jumped from being eligible for food stamps to being in the top 10% of single-earner income), and I'll likely get a small refund, due to income deductions for student loan interest, but I'm actually glad to be paying taxes. I spent years and years earning pretty low income, and some years I actually got not just a refund, but a full-on transfer payment from the IRS because I was able to use educational credits and EIC to get more back than I paid in. Finished my degree a few years ago and started in February as a newly-minted management consultant at a top-ten firm.

I want to pay taxes because I'm validation that the system works, goddammit. I wasn't a "moocher", I wasn't a "taker", the credits and deductions I got for education were an investment by the government in my future, and it's time to show that it was a good investment.

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 8, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm doing pretty well for myself after a long time at barely squeezing by. I got help from the government with food stamps and healthcare for about a year as well.

I'm glad that I'm paying taxes to help other people out. I'm so thankful to be in my current situation and while I know I worked hard, I also can think of dozens of ways that other people have reached out to help me along the way and I try to be kind to all the people who work with me. Besides, I might not always be on top, it'll be nice to have some people looking out for me on the way down.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I just got this one on a friend's Facebook:

quote:

From a friend, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION...posted on the Obamacare website today "I actually made it through this morning at 8:00 A.M. I have a preexisting condition
(Type 1 Diabetes) and my income base was 45K-55K annually I chose tier 2 "Silver Plan" and my monthly premiums came out to $597.00 with $13,988 yearly deductible!!! There is NO POSSIBLE way that I can afford this so I "opt-out" and chose to continue along with no insurance. I received an email tonight at 5:00 P.M. informing me that my fine would be $4,037 and could be attached to my yearly income tax return. Then you make it to the "REPERCUSSIONS PORTION" for "non-payment" of yearly fine. First, your drivers license will be suspended until paid, and if you go 24 consecutive months with "Non-Payment" and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home. You can agree to give your bank information so that they can easy "Automatically withdraw" your "penalties" weekly, bi-weekly or monthly! This by no means is "Free" or even "Affordable.

Found this: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/oct/04/facebook-posts/closer-look-facebook-post-mans-struggle-obamacare-/ but it may not be worth posting, because no matter what this dude just believes whatever his church group members post.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I just got this one on a friend's Facebook:

Found this: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/oct/04/facebook-posts/closer-look-facebook-post-mans-struggle-obamacare-/ but it may not be worth posting, because no matter what this dude just believes whatever his church group members post.

Jesus, that thing is so full of shitthatdidnthappen.txt that it's hard to pick just one.

I love that it's just flat-out lying. Shameless, absolute, 100% lying. Anyone who posts this unironically should have all sharp objects forcibly removed from their control; they're too stupid to be trusted with them.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Either that person severely misreported their income on the healthcare website, or they're just flat out lying. It's not going to take 20 goddamn percent out of your yearly income.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I find it hilarious whenever this made up poo poo says they "opt out" of Obamacare. Obamacare isn't an HMO or a health plan, you can't really opt out of it it per se, you can just refuse to follow the law and pay a fine. Saying you "opt out" implies Obamacare is the actual health plan itself.

Oldeba
Jun 5, 2004
self-sufficience please
Not an email, but a conversation with my crazy racist uncle, while on the topic of SNAP:

CRU: "So you get all the blacks who are standing in line at the grocery store taking food with food stamps that my taxes pay for, I saw this black woman talking on an iPhone while she was in line. You're going to tell me you can't work or afford groceries when you got an iPhone?"

Me: "Well, not everyone on SNAP is unemployed. Sometimes people just need a little help"

CRU: "These people don't need help. The blacks, they won't work to get ahead when they can get anything for free. And we get all these Mexicans, who can't even speak English, they just come here and suddenly they're Americans working our jobs, sending money back to Mexico so even more of them can take our jobs and take our welfare."

Awkward silence ensues. The exchange happened two weeks ago but it just hit me today:

If you're on welfare and you're not working, then you're stealing white people's money.

If you're on welfare and you are working, then you're stealing white people's jobs.

???

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Either that person severely misreported their income on the healthcare website, or they're just flat out lying. It's not going to take 20 goddamn percent out of your yearly income.

And if it does take 20% of your income, you're exempt!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oldeba posted:

Not an email, but a conversation with my crazy racist uncle, while on the topic of SNAP:

CRU: "So you get all the blacks who are standing in line at the grocery store taking food with food stamps that my taxes pay for, I saw this black woman talking on an iPhone while she was in line. You're going to tell me you can't work or afford groceries when you got an iPhone?"

Me: "Well, not everyone on SNAP is unemployed. Sometimes people just need a little help"

CRU: "These people don't need help. The blacks, they won't work to get ahead when they can get anything for free. And we get all these Mexicans, who can't even speak English, they just come here and suddenly they're Americans working our jobs, sending money back to Mexico so even more of them can take our jobs and take our welfare."

Awkward silence ensues. The exchange happened two weeks ago but it just hit me today:

If you're on welfare and you're not working, then you're stealing white people's money.

If you're on welfare and you are working, then you're stealing white people's jobs.

???

I think when people start saying "the blacks" it's hard to really have a satisfactory response

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Oldeba posted:

???

Yeah, there's nothing you can say to somebody like this that will change their mind. They hate and fear people who are different from them, the reasons are just rationalizations for preexisting bigotry.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
A friend of mine posted a facebook link titled "Bill is a loving Jackass" with a picture of Barack Obama's signature and I thought to myself, "drat, I guess I'll have to cull more people after all." I open it and

quote:

Here’s a hilarious allegory to the current ACA aka Obamacare hoopla.

So, Imagine that the company you work for held a poll, and asked everyone if they thought it would be a good idea to put a soda machine in the break room. The poll came back, and the majority of your colleagues said “Yes”, indicating that they would like a soda machine. Some said no, but the majority said yes. So, a week later, there’s a soda machine.

Now imagine that Bill in accounting voted against the soda machine. He has a strong hatred for caffeinated soft drinks, thinks they are bad you you, whatever. He campaigns throughout the office to get the machine removed. Well, management decides “OK, we’ll ask again” and again, the majority of people say “Yes, lets keep the soda machine.”

Bill continues to campaign, and management continues to ask the employees, and every time, the answer is in favor of the soda machine. This happens, lets say… 35 times. Eventually, Bill says “OK, I’M NOT PROCESSING PAYROLL ANYMORE UNTIL THE SODA MACHINE IS REMOVED”, so nobody will get paid unless management removes the machine.

What should we do???

Answer: Fire Bill and get someone who will do the loving job.

Bonus: Bill tells everyone that he was willing to “Negotiate”, to come to a solution where everyone got their payroll checks, but only so long as that negotiation capitulated to his demand to remove the soda machine.

Bill is a loving jackass.

-Brian Krewson via themetricruler

It's not the best allegory, but you know what? It'll do. :unsmith:

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 9, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Propaganda Hour posted:

A friend of mine posted a facebook link titled "Bill is a loving Jackass" with a picture of Barack Obama's signature and I thought to myself, "drat, I guess I'll have to cull more people after all." I open it and

It's not the best allegory, but you know what? It'll do. :unsmith:

The big change needed is that originally everyone wanted to just have a fridge with free pop in it, but Bill couldn't stand that idea so they agreed to force everyone to pay for it instead.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mornacale posted:

The big change needed is that originally everyone wanted to just have a fridge with free pop in it, but Bill couldn't stand that idea so they agreed to force everyone to pay for it instead.

Yeah, if anything tweaking the story towards realism actually makes Bill look worse so I'm just happy in general.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Checked the last few pages and hadn't seen this. Maybe it'll cleanse the palate from all this Obamacare stuff.

I saw this on Facebook with a friend of mine saying how Putin is acting like the adult in the room, policy wise.

"freepatriot.org posted:

Last month we ran an article on a letter that Russian President Vladamir Putin wrote to the American people, trying to spell out in black and white, the dangers of radical Islamic extremism that faces the free nations of the planet.

See full story here: http://freepatriot.org/2013/09/08/russia-love-letter-putin-americans/

America, it seems, has gotten very soft and needs things spelled out in black and white by the likes of Putin, who has become one of the world’s leading badasses when it comes to dealing with real life threats, and beating them into submission, unlike U.S. President Barack Hussein Obama, who when faced with dire, economic circumstances, prefers to ‘pick up his ball and go home’ and leave his constituents hanging out to dry.

Just in the past two weeks, Islamic radicals have extended their reign of terror on the free world by slaughtering countless innocents at the Westport Mall in Kenya, by taking over an entire city and killing more than 100 people in Zamboanga, Philippines, on the southern island of Mindanao, and by attacking the Russian Embassy in Tripoli, Libya just today.

While a politically correct America, arguably the “soft underbelly of Western Culture” continues to say that Islam is a “religion of peace” badass Russian President Vladamir Putin spells it out in saying, “…I would love to gas the Chechens–all 1.2 million of them. They are like cockroaches, murderous Muslim cockroaches, and if the Chechens had done to Americans what they have done to Russians, maybe the US public would want to join with us. Oh wait, they have: The Boston Bombers, those Tsarnaev brothers, were Chechens. You took them in–against our advice. You put them on welfare for a decade, ignored our intelligence warnings, and then they terror-bomb you. The Chechens deserve to be fumigated. As an aside, what’s wrong with your media? They seem like “useful idiots”–to borrow Lenin’s phrase–for the terrorists. That Rolling Stone cover? Really? That would never happen in Russia.”

For the first time in the history of both nations, more Americans find themselves looking to the Russian president for guidance during these dark times than their own president.

She legitimately believed Putin wrote this. The linked Op-Ed goes back to Breitbart. Vladamir Putin has two articles on Breitbart, one commenting on his NYT op-ed and the above story.

It took a second to try and decide if I was more bothered that she hadn't exercised so much as five minutes of fact-checking or that she was straight up on board with a head of state saying he'd enjoy gassing an entire ethnic group. This is a good friend and I tend not to mix it up with her politically, but this is straight up praising genocide. Think what you want about ACA, but if you're cheerleading killing a million people with poison gas, I can't really be silent about that.

Dicere fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 9, 2013

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

If there ever was a time to unfriend, it is now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mornacale posted:

And that there used to be a soda machine that charged $10 a soda. If you were really thirsty and couldn't afford one, you could grab one for free, but then all your co workers had to chip in for your soda, and each time you did it the price if soda for everyone went up a bit.

This machine was going to make everyone pay buy their own soda, and if they had trouble paying for it, management would cover some of the cost.

I got way too into the analogy.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing the analogy is missing is that if you don't have a soda, you will die of a preventable disease.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Also add in that Bill has his own soda fridge in his office that no one knows about.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Oldeba posted:

I hate this argument. I have an iphone. It was FREE with my phone contract.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Right, but if you can afford the contract you're a freeloading moocher who should have spent that money eating beans and rice day in and day out, instead of asking for assistance; don't you understand?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I bet you even have a refrigerator, you loving welfare queen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I AM THE 0.4%

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Breadallelogram posted:

I bet you even have a refrigerator, you loving welfare queen.

drat straight. Got a color tv too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NatasDog posted:

Right, but if you can afford the contract you're a freeloading moocher who should have spent that money eating beans and rice day in and day out, instead of asking for assistance; don't you understand?

I suppose it's beyond consideration that a person in a "welfare" line could have their cell phone included in a family plan of a working family member (individual phones cost as little as 20 bucks a month), or paid off prior from when they had a job? I mean it's very possible that this is a normal middle-class person who has fallen on hard times in a tough economy, right?

Yeah I know racists don't think like this. It color = lazy, always and forever.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you're poor you have to wear a wine barrel, have no access to modern technology, and eat garbage stew for every meal, otherwise you're a parasite.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A wine barrel?? Ooh la la that's some fancy poo poo for someone living off my tax dollars. They should be in a Bud Lite box just big enough so we don't have to see their lower class genitalia.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My brother-in-law recently had to fax an HR document to someone so he could start a new job. He has no car, no landline, and astoundingly, no fax machine. I'm incredibly grateful that he has a smartphone--which he first got while unemployed--because he was able to have someone email him the form, forward it to me, and I was able to complete and fax it for him. He literally would not have been able to start his job without that technology at his disposal.

But yeah, gently caress those blacks poors, if they'd just bootstrap and use a payphone like we did in the old days, they'd get off the government teat.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What kind of third world operation still uses fax machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ArchangeI posted:

What kind of third world operation still uses fax machines?

The nfl, most real estate and banking places, doctors offices. A whole lot!