Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

so it leaves me in a "well you guys did it before" situation.

Which your manager is paid to resolve. Sounds like it isn't your problem any more - you've discovered a potential issue that could possibly have landed your employer with legal issues. Obviously it won't play out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SamDabbers posted:

Highlighted the problem. They probably don't have even $100 in the budget to get new wireless cards or a wireless bridge. The teacher stresses pretty hard that they have to work with what they have, which is sad considering the machines are so old that they can't hop on a modern wireless network.

Oh. Right.

A school being a school there's no money for anything and if you had the money you would have upgraded the wireless cards. It's been a while since I've done any work in a school.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Oh. Right.

A school being a school there's no money for anything and if you had the money you would have upgraded the wireless cards. It's been a while since I've done any work in a school.

It's not that there's no money for anything, but that what money there is has already been committed. If you need wireless cards, they have to be specifically added to the budget for next year. This is why a school will be able to spend tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade the campus wireless network, but won't be able to buy $100 worth of wireless cards for old machines once someone realizes, after the new APs have been installed, that the old machines can't connect to them.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
How big is that library that a computer in the center can't be connected by Ethernet, and why can't a school that can afford a 10 acre library not afford modern PCs? :confused:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caged posted:

Which your manager is paid to resolve. Sounds like it isn't your problem any more - you've discovered a potential issue that could possibly have landed your employer with legal issues. Obviously it won't play out that way.

Unfortunately, you forgot the most important part of the situation:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

It's not that there's no money for anything, but that what money there is has already been committed. If you need wireless cards, they have to be specifically added to the budget for next year. This is why a school will be able to spend tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade the campus wireless network, but won't be able to buy $100 worth of wireless cards for old machines once someone realizes, after the new APs have been installed, that the old machines can't connect to them.

E-Rate funds. The infrastructure is upgraded using E-Rate funding from the federal government, but since it has to be spent on very specific infrastructure related items, none of it can actually be used for PCs or other network endpoints.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Unfortunately, you forgot the most important part of the situation:

Hah! I haven't heard back from anyone as of yet, either the customer after the original phone call or from any managers or account leads who I have informed. To be fair, it is lunch time and that does take priority over everything else.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

iOS 7 does an activation lock - you can't set the phone up unless the previous user enters their Apple ID.

Yep. I currently have two iPhones in for repair just sitting there, waiting for their users to deactivate the unit in their account.

this has got to be something an Authorized repair center will be getting the tools to reset. It's just a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd take that or the ability to assign the phones to a master corporate account as well as letting people use their own personal iTunes stuff. Like how the MS Passport parent accounts worked back in the day.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
New record phone bill by our international sales director guy

ELEVEN GRAND month before last
TEN GRAND last month.

Apparently AT+T blames him for enabling roaming data (which is tied to enabling roaming calls) and using 8300mb.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

It's just a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Apple have bluffed this out several times now (PR disasters waiting to happen I mean) and nothing sticks! Even with Jobs long gone the infamous RDF is still in place as far as I can see.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

drukqs posted:

New record phone bill by our international sales director guy

ELEVEN GRAND month before last
TEN GRAND last month.

Apparently AT+T blames him for enabling roaming data (which is tied to enabling roaming calls) and using 8300mb.

21 thousand dollars for 8.3GB?

That's loving ridiculous. Expected--it's AT&T--but ridiculous nonetheless.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

drukqs posted:

Roaming voice and roaming data are separate options on my phone.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Record we have here is $37,000 in one month, due to a guy travelling abroad with his blackberry and not taking the roaming package and doing ~something~ that ate up a few gigs.

Bell charges $5 a mb if its not on a plan

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've always been curious who is in the chain of providers and their international agreements actually gets that money. Is it your local telecom reaming you because they can or are they just passing on what they get charged by the telecom in wherever you're roaming?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

peak debt posted:

How big is that library that a computer in the center can't be connected by Ethernet, and why can't a school that can afford a 10 acre library not afford modern PCs? :confused:
Because the textbooks have already been approved by the Texas Board of education so they're obviously necessary and a prudent use of resources.

Also people remember using books when they were in school.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Day two of new job, and I've already seen my first "do the needful"!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Entropic posted:

I've always been curious who is in the chain of providers and their international agreements actually gets that money. Is it your local telecom reaming you because they can or are they just passing on what they get charged by the telecom in wherever you're roaming?

Both, and every bandwidth provider between the two networks.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
forwarded this to my boss while he was being reamed out for not seeing this coming... :laffo:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403693,00.asp

the problem is, the sales guy is really fussy and JUST went through a whole complicated process getting a 5S with gayt+t

this article says verizon will only do this with a 4S

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A ticket went to my boss from a very important client of ours
"URGENT NEED SUPPORT ASAP FOR VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT"
Sub: Blah blah poo poo broke, can we have dilbert come fix stuff again? Blah blah It's 10am issues, piggers game not loading.

My boss: Hey dilbert can you go to $VIP client$
Me: Okay, sure lemme catch up on the email string to see what is going on
-reads email, its UNIX issues and Vmware issues-
Me: Yeah this is going to take me a couple hours
'Supervisor': Dilbert I need you to try your hardest get back here before 2, like unless they absolutely need you come back before 2.
Me: Well not sure if I can do but I'll try, it is a high priority issue some services are down.
-1:30ish close to finishing, calls super to say I am going to be in after 2, but it goes to VM"
No answer to call so I call/IM the guy who sits next to him telling him I am running over and will be an hour or so late. Then an IM from my super comes in, I explain the issue, no chatting for 5min or so and the onsite IT guy needs to login to some server to test some poo poo on my laptop. It's at this moment he sent me a "what time are you going to be back" but because my laptop was being used pretty heavily, I text on my company phone to his company phone "going to be around 2:45-3:00".

He then pings me back after the onsite guy is finished on my PC, right as a "Well I guess if you aren't going to talk to me I assume you'll be running late..."
:v: Did you get my text?
:colbert: I don't check my (company phone that is for work) at work, for text messages
:what:

The great this is that it is an iphone which buzzes and leaves the last txt up for a bit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I once had someone in a marketing team back in like 2007 wanting to trade her thin and light laptop in for a thin and light laptop that could also play Second Life. That was an interesting discussion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...
Did you berate him with meme humor and racist comments until he left?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

anthonypants posted:

Did you berate him with meme humor and racist comments until he left?

If he didn't, the Riot people probably will. Maybe sexist comments instead.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Entropic posted:

I actually work at a roaming clearinghouse, I'm pretty sure it's your home carrier making the money. The serving carrier gets paid the same negotiated, low rate no matter what your plan is, and while that's good revenue, I don't think it's thousands of dollars per excessive roamer. I'm pretty confident the more reasonable rates people pay when they have a roaming plan or other agreement are closer to the real rates (still profitable I'm confident) and are not subsidized by the charges for high users, though I have no knowledge about financial stuff internal to carriers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

If he didn't, the Riot people probably will. Maybe sexist comments instead.
Riot's community sucks, much like any gaming community where early teen-aged brats run rampant. Riot themselves seem to be firmly against such behaviour.

Their art department though...

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Caged posted:

I once had someone in a marketing team back in like 2007 wanting to trade her thin and light laptop in for a thin and light laptop that could also play Second Life. That was an interesting discussion.

The last company I was at used Second Life as a "virtual training" software instead of just a 8-hour droning conference call with a powerpoint deck in Lync. I'm not sure which is actually worse.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

teethgrinder posted:

Riot themselves seem to be firmly against such behaviour.

Nah, S2 Worlds nixed that idea, between Phreak's "well if girls just played more, they'd be here instead!" poo poo, having noted rape apologist HotshotGG on the commentary desk constantly, and Rivington's constant "X is raping Y!" crap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Urit posted:

The last company I was at used Second Life as a "virtual training" software instead of just a 8-hour droning conference call with a powerpoint deck in Lync. I'm not sure which is actually worse.

With Lync there isn't the chance that a flying penis could waft in and interrupt things.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caged posted:

I worked at a university library around that time period and the dean of the library latched onto second life and thought it was the wave of the future. She wanted to use it for conference calls and virtual conferences and poo poo with other libraries. She ended up quietly dropping it after putting a lot of effort into getting a bunch of other libraries on board with it. I assume someone took her aside and showed her some of the furry rape dungeons and whatnot that made up the core of the second life community.

I never had the heart to tell her about all that because she was so into it. I didn't tell her because I was just waiting for some big library second life conference to happen so SA could invade and make it rain penises.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, S2 Worlds nixed that idea, between Phreak's "well if girls just played more, they'd be here instead!" poo poo, having noted rape apologist HotshotGG on the commentary desk constantly, and Rivington's constant "X is raping Y!" crap.
I hadn't come across the other stuff, but man I did hear the Rivington stuff once and drat was it ever cringe-inducing. I was thinking more of the Tribunal.

Which is kind of hilarious too ... the forum was full of people constantly claiming Riot screwed them over, that they should never have been banned ... then a Riot employee offers the full case/chatlog which is always strewn with racism/homophobia/etc.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

We use Fiberlink MaaS360. It's good once it's up and running with some nicely granular support. I don't know how much it costs so it may be worth looking into 2012 R2's mobile device management if you can spin off a VM for testing/futzing.

gently caress Fiberlink. Their lovely product is loving horrendous to troubleshoot. Chances are, if something's hosed up with a users laptop, it's because of Fiberlink.

Granted, we only ever used the Laptop MaaS client, not the mobile, but I wouldn't touch anything from them again if I could help it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Galler posted:

I worked at a university library around that time period and the dean of the library latched onto second life and thought it was the wave of the future. She wanted to use it for conference calls and virtual conferences and poo poo with other libraries. She ended up quietly dropping it after putting a lot of effort into getting a bunch of other libraries on board with it. I assume someone took her aside and showed her some of the furry rape dungeons and whatnot that made up the core of the second life community.

I never had the heart to tell her about all that because she was so into it. I didn't tell her because I was just waiting for some big library second life conference to happen so SA could invade and make it rain penises.

A director at my previous job (coincidentally also at a university) wasted tens of thousands of dollars on getting on-campus buildings modelled in Second Life (now instead of going to the real English lit building you can meet at something that vaguely resembles it in Second Life!). He presented all this crap with such enthusiasm at one of our all-hands meetings, nobody else thought it had any point at all, and any mention of it was quietly disappeared.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Urit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedLyae4b2s&t=20s

(NSFW after 1:15 into the video)

Did they make people make new SL accounts, or use their existing ones? I'm imagining a corporate event filled with the default newbie avatar.

Not sure I'd fancy explaining my SL avatar (looks basically the same as my forums avatar, only longer hair) to some corporate suit running a training course, and now I'm remembering some of the goon ones from back in the day.

Lum fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 9, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

gently caress Fiberlink. Their lovely product is loving horrendous to troubleshoot. Chances are, if something's hosed up with a users laptop, it's because of Fiberlink.

Granted, we only ever used the Laptop MaaS client, not the mobile, but I wouldn't touch anything from them again if I could help it.

The mobile client's only real issue is that it's huge for what it does - like 45ish megs - and I'm not sure if it's just our company's Exchange environment/requirements or if it's just Fiberlink, but we had to use Touchdown for mail instead of the native Android mail/contacts/calendar. It also slowed down my Galaxy S Relay 4G while I had it on there.

I updated the phone to JB and when it wanted to encrypt my external SD card, I figured I was done with BYOD. Which wasn't doing much anyway since despite having MaaS installed, I was still expected to carry a Blackberry. :logic:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also the web UI is complete poo poo

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

web UI is complete poo poo

Broadened that for you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh good loving lord. My boss just told me to start looking at Hyper-V to replace our 4 node VMWare cluster because it would save us $12,000 a year in licensing.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have a really nice Server 2012 Root/Intermediate Certificate structure.
I issue all our internal certificates from it.
Our new intranet, of course, gets it's shiny new 2048 bit certificate from there.
A majority of our branch users (the main intranet audience) uses Citrix. The god damned citrix servers are on Server 2003 SP2, on a different domain in a different forest. This means when I imported the Root and Intermediate CA over to this other forest, the Citrix servers went "Huh? No that certificate can't be valid, look at all those numbers".

Server 2003 SP2 is what, 6+ years old? End of Life on that poo poo was years ago.

But there's a hotfix at least. That I can put on manually. Because it doesn't come as an msi, but as an exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Antioch posted:

Server 2003 SP2 is what, 6+ years old? End of Life on that poo poo was years ago.

Isn't it end of life next year?

• Locked thread