Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

SwissCM posted:

If you have even a relatively low-end PC, it's actually best to get the game on Steam. It's the best version; has 5 exclusive characters and on higher-spec PCs can run at 60fps with anti-aliasing and other niceties.

I own both the Wii U and the PC version (the game is that good) and I fully agree with you. However, local multiplayer is vastly superior with every player having their own screen, I only bought the PC version to play online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

jhorphear posted:

So to pick myself up out of the dumps ( best firned just died ) i bought the WWHD bundle. I spent the entire weekend in my boxers on the couch playing New Super Mario Bros U. I have to say i really like it. Despite all the hate its a fun platformer that my g/f and i can play.

I'm pretty sour on the New Super Mario Bros. series, but I have to admit that NSMBU is a really good game. It's a shame that they took four tries to actually get a really good game out of the series, and still has recycled graphics, enemies, music, and powerups, while everything new is just uninspired. The only memorable new enemy in the entire series for me were the ghosts with the boxing gloves in the first game, but across four games they haven't made nearly as many memorable enemies as SMB2, SMB3, or SM World had individually.

It's polished just because it's so safe. Even Super Mario Land 2 was much more inventive, and had great worlds like the huge Mario Robot, the Halloween world, outer space, and Wario's castle. Wario's a far more interesting character than any NSMB game ever introduced, which pretty much consists of Nabbit, some gormless looking enemy which also ruins 4-player mode in Super Luigi U by forcing one player to have god mode.

tl;dr, it's a very good game, but as predictable and safe as Call of Duty.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jhorphear posted:

So to pick myself up out of the dumps ( best friend just died ) i bought the WWHD bundle. I spent the entire weekend in my boxers on the couch playing New Super Mario Bros U. I have to say i really like it. Despite all the hate its a fun platformer that my g/f and i can play. I havnt even had a chance to play WWHD yet, but ill be getting to that this week.

I am a big fan of the tablet. I like the fact that i have my wii-u hooked up in the living room and i can play this thing in my bedroom with little to no hicups. My g/f likes the fact that she can stream games/netflix to it while i am watching football. Now, not all of the games work with the streaming to the tablet, but the ones that do work really well. Now, i will agree, there are not a lot of titles that launched with the system that look like they are worth buying, but this seems to be a recurring trend with nintendo lately.

Ive played the demos for zombie u and w101 and they will be added to my purchase list. Along with need for speed, pikmin, luigi bros, monster hunter 3 and nintendo land, there are atleast 6 titles that i can add. Not too bad considering this thing is still in its first year of launch. Ill be interested to see what games are out by christmas 2014.

edit: i cant spell

My condolences for the lost of your friend.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Alteisen posted:

My condolences for the lost of your friend.

Thank you.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any plans to release Dragon's Crown for the Wii U? It seems like it would be a great addition. One of the reviews on amazon said

quote:

If you reminiscence about those old-school side-scrollers like Golden Axe, TMNT, Streets of Rage, Double Dragon etc then this is the game you're looking for.

TMNT was one was one of my fav titles for the SNES, and I was wondering if there is something similar, but new, for the Wii U. The last new game I played that reminded me of one of those 4 was God Hand, which I described to my friends as Streets of Rage in 3D. Megaman is getting a remake as Mighty No 9, and I think the 3D models are a nice step forward. Does Nintendo have any similar games that are a work in progress or at least being considered?

I also heard Bayonetta might be rereleased for the Wii U? I owned it on the 360, but the console broke and I'm not interested in replacing it, so I'm just wondering.

I guess another good addition would be the DMC HD set. Any chance of that happening?

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Safety Scissors posted:

Are there any plans to release Dragon's Crown for the Wii U? It seems like it would be a great addition. One of the reviews on amazon said

TMNT was one was one of my fav titles for the SNES, and I was wondering if there is something similar, but new, for the Wii U. The last new game I played that reminded me of one of those 4 was God Hand, which I described to my friends as Streets of Rage in 3D. Megaman is getting a remake as Mighty No 9, and I think the 3D models are a nice step forward. Does Nintendo have any similar games that are a work in progress or at least being considered?

I also heard Bayonetta might be rereleased for the Wii U? I owned it on the 360, but the console broke and I'm not interested in replacing it, so I'm just wondering.

I guess another good addition would be the DMC HD set. Any chance of that happening?

The answer to all your questions is, no, basically. Sorry.

If you're after a game like those you describe on the WiiU, the Capcom Dungeons n Dragons arcade collection is a great mix of side scrolling brawler and RPGing, but you may have played it already.

There's a vague chance of a Bayonetta port to cash in on the sequel, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Turtles in Time is on Wii virtual console though (or used to be).

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

No, no, you're probably thinking of Bayonetta 2, and no.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It'd be weird not to offer Bayonetta 1 on the eShop or as a preorder bonus for a special edition of Bayonetta 2, but that's Nintendo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would it be a licensing issue? Don't know if Nintendo owns everything Bayonetta outright, or if the first game is still in Sega's domain.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rorus Raz posted:

It'd be weird not to offer Bayonetta 1 on the eShop or as a preorder bonus for a special edition of Bayonetta 2, but that's Nintendo.

Almost no companies do things like that so no that's not weird and it's not Nintendo being dumb. Preorder bonuses are generally DLC or toys, not complete games that would need to be ported and enhanced for a new system.

Nintendo doesn't own Bayonetta, they're just publishing and financing #2.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Surlaw posted:

Almost no companies do things like that so no that's not weird and it's not Nintendo being dumb. Preorder bonuses are generally DLC or toys, not complete games that would need to be ported and enhanced for a new system.

Nintendo doesn't own Bayonetta, they're just publishing and financing #2.

It's getting a bit more common, although I can still only think of Bioshock Infinite which gave you the original Bioshock as well, and Alice The Madness Returns which gave you American McGee's Alice, ported to the console (that couldn't have been cheap, huh?)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spiffo posted:

It's getting a bit more common, although I can still only think of Bioshock Infinite which gave you the original Bioshock as well, and Alice The Madness Returns which gave you American McGee's Alice, ported to the console (that couldn't have been cheap, huh?)
Those were the only two recent ones I could come up with and it's a great bonus but saying that it's weird for Nintendo to not be doing this, especially when the previous game is one they had no hand in, is really reaching. I guess Nintendo gave out that Ocarina of Time port years ago too, but it's an incredibly uncommon thing to do.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Licensing wouldn't be a problem since Nintendo and Sega seem pretty chummy. The problem is that they would have to port Bayonetta to the Wii U from scratch and that costs time and money. It's probably not worth it for anyone involved.

Spiffo posted:

and Alice The Madness Returns which gave you American McGee's Alice, ported to the console (that couldn't have been cheap, huh?)

It would have been way cheaper than a Bayonetta port and even then it still probably wasn't worth it for them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crowbear posted:

Licensing wouldn't be a problem since Nintendo and Sega seem pretty chummy. The problem is that they would have to port Bayonetta to the Wii U from scratch and that costs time and money. It's probably not worth it for anyone involved.

It would have been way cheaper than a Bayonetta port and even then it still probably wasn't worth it for them.

Isn't Bayonetta 2 using the same engine as the original? Wouldn't it be relatively easy like how the Halo Anniversary release was done where they can drop the assets and level designs into the Wii U version of the engine? Not saying they should but it's a great game so any chance for more people to play it is a good thing.

It's only recently that this sort of thing is getting done with more recent games so I'm not really expecting it. I'm sure we'll see a new Metal Gear Rising before we see any new Bayonetta release after 2.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Spiffo posted:

Pre-ordering Modern Warfare 3 on Steam gave you the first Modern Warfare and pre-ordering Resident Evil 6 gave you Resident Evil 5, too. poo poo's awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Preordering Wind Waker gave you both Ocarina of Time and Master Quest, maybe Majors Mask too, that might have been a different promotion.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Neo Rasa posted:

Isn't Bayonetta 2 using the same engine as the original? Wouldn't it be relatively easy like how the Halo Anniversary release was done where they can drop the assets and level designs into the Wii U version of the engine? Not saying they should but it's a great game so any chance for more people to play it is a good thing.

It's only recently that this sort of thing is getting done with more recent games so I'm not really expecting it. I'm sure we'll see a new Metal Gear Rising before we see any new Bayonetta release after 2.

It's more complicated than that and it would increase the cost and development time for a game that isn't going to be a huge seller either way (even if I really wish it would sell millions of copies, it's my most anticipated U game.)

Also Steam is completely different ecosystem for a lot of reasons. If we want to say that Nintendo should do things more like Steam, we should be asking for significantly discounted bundles of eshop games.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 8, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Spiffo posted:

The games actually existed before that promotion, though

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

jhorphear posted:

I am a big fan of the tablet. I like the fact that i have my wii-u hooked up in the living room and i can play this thing in my bedroom with little to no hicups. My g/f likes the fact that she can stream games/netflix to it while i am watching football. Now, not all of the games work with the streaming to the tablet, but the ones that do work really well. Now, i will agree, there are not a lot of titles that launched with the system that look like they are worth buying, but this seems to be a recurring trend with nintendo lately.

Wait, you can play games on the tablet when the WiiU in a different room? Holy poo poo that's cool. Why hasn't this been better publicized? I was under the impression you could play stuff on the tablet, but it had to be plugged into the console and it was just for when someone wanted to watch TV is the same room or some poo poo.

That loving Sned posted:

I'm pretty sour on the New Super Mario Bros. series, but I have to admit that NSMBU is a really good game. It's a shame that they took four tries to actually get a really good game out of the series, and still has recycled graphics, enemies, music, and powerups, while everything new is just uninspired. The only memorable new enemy in the entire series for me were the ghosts with the boxing gloves in the first game, but across four games they haven't made nearly as many memorable enemies as SMB2, SMB3, or SM World had individually.

Eh, I think they're all pretty good games, they're just uninspired rehashes. When I played NSMB 2 all I could think the entire time was, "This would have been so cool when I was 8." I mean, I had fun playing it, but it was like, the same way I have fun if I play Super Mario Bros. 3 nowadays. I've seen it before, but it kills time. No joke, though, I was working at an elementary school last year, kids still love that poo poo. Half the kids in my class had a 3DS, and about another two or three had a DSi, the rest had an ipod touch or something similar. Every single one of them had some kind of hand held electronic device that played games. And don't you ever loving dare call a 3DS a Nintendo DS. You'll get an, "Actually, it's a 3DS XL." None of the kinds knew what a WiiU was.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 8, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Wait, you can play games on the tablet when the WiiU in a different room? Holy poo poo that's cool. Why hasn't this been better publicized? I was under the impression you could play stuff on the tablet, but it had to be plugged into the console and it was just for when someone wanted to watch TV is the same room or some poo poo.

Well you can't go too far before the wireless signal cuts out and the tablet controller only has a few hours battery life.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Install Windows posted:

Well you can't go too far before the wireless signal cuts out and the tablet controller only has a few hours battery life.

Oh, so the tablet doesn't connect to your home wifi network? That's kind of lame.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The gamepad doesn't have GREAT range, but you can play it one room over with few issues. The main problem is that the pad has terrible battery life (three hours), and it's such a major complaint that Nintendo has released a replacement battery in Japan and Europe for the gamepad that doubles the lifespan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Oh, so the tablet doesn't connect to your home wifi network? That's kind of lame.

It connects directly to the WiiU. The limits of how far you can stay from your system are latency. If it starts to detect latency above some certain amount it will cut out. If it was connecting over wifi there would be a hell of a lot more latency.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Eh, I think they're all pretty good games, they're just uninspired rehashes. When I played NSMB 2 all I could think the entire time was, "This would have been so cool when I was 8." I mean, I had fun playing it, but it was like, the same way I have fun if I play Super Mario Bros. 3 nowadays. I've seen it before, but it kills time. No joke, though, I was working at an elementary school last year, kids still love that poo poo. Half the kids in my class had a 3DS, and about another two or three had a DSi, the rest had an ipod touch or something similar. Every single one of them had some kind of hand held electronic device that played games. And don't you ever loving dare call a 3DS a Nintendo DS. You'll get an, "Actually, it's a 3DS XL." None of the kinds knew what a WiiU was.

Nintendo rocked the handheld market for decades, simply because they had much better games than their competition, and because outside of SEGA and Sony, the only handheld games you got were those crappy Tiger LCD things. However, phones and tablets are definitely becoming popular portable game devices for children, since they have much more functionality outside of games, and it's actually possible to afford the games on just their pocket money. There are so many really good GBA and DS games that I missed out on when I was a kid because I couldn't afford to get all of them, but anyone with a phone or tablet can play Angry Birds, or Cut the Rope.

Those of us who grew up with Nintendo's handhelds can't accept these games as good substitutes, but that isn't the case for a lot of kids today. Good on Nintendo for still doing amazingly well with the 3DS despite this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They're not doing well "despite" it, it's simply a completely separate market. It isn't like, say, how PDAs disappeared when smartphones got popular because there was absolutely no point into intentionally not being able to make calls.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

With my WiiU where it is now I can play completely fine in bed, about 20 feet away and through a wall. If I move the system to where it used to be, three more feet away and on the other side of my computer, it varies between either an occasional bit of freezing up or being completely unusable. I don't know if I'm at the limits of its range or if there's some sort of interference from my computer tower (its current placement has it right next to my tower, but it's not broadcasting past it to reach the bedroom).

Depending what you want to use it for and your personal geometry it's pretty handy, but it's not completely untethered even if there's no physical cable to worry about. It's a wireless controller that pumps video back and forth as well as player input.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Install Windows posted:

Yeah I can go across my entire two story home with it so I guess that's not very far really. It'd only be cool if I could drive to the grocery store and still play it.

whaley fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whaley posted:

Yeah I can go across my entire two story home with it so I guess that's not very far really. It'd only be cool if I could drive to the grocery store and still play it.

Mine barely works in the bedroom that's 10 feet and a wall away from the TV I have my Wii U plugged into.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Install Windows posted:

Mine barely works in the bedroom that's 10 feet and a wall away from the TV I have my Wii U plugged into.

drat your house sucks. Maybe you have an air conditioner, a running microwave, and a refrigerator in that ten foot space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whaley posted:

drat your house sucks. Maybe you have an air conditioner, a running microwave, and a refrigerator in that ten foot space.

Nope. Just a wall, and a couch in front of that wall looking from the TV.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Install Windows posted:

Maybe there's heck of pipes in that wall?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Install Windows posted:

Test your walls for lead. If they taste sweet, you might need to get a new paint job.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Install Windows posted:

In the game lab I work at we got Wonderful 101 in today. The system with the Wii U was in use by a ps3 so I popped in the disc and started playing on the gamepad.

The system is about a good 20 feet away on a wall where the system is on the opposite side from me. No issues. You may want to start wearing a tin foil hat in your home cause it sounds like you have a lot of junk traveling through your place to cause that kind of interference.

So back to W101.

I tried it, and it looked cool but holy poo poo the controls are god awful on the game pad.

First thing I noticed is you can't use the stylus for ANYTHING.

Started in the tutorial level: I had to draw a circle for a hand grab on a bus.
Tried using the stylus. it looked like it wanted to react but it didn't go anywhere... Failed after about 2 minutes of trying. So next i tried to follow the screen directions.

It showed to rotate the right stick and press A.

So I rotated the stick a few times, nothing happened. I pressed A... failed again.

So then I handed it off to my co-worker and said "give this a try read the tutorial and let me know what you think." She grabbed the stylus and instantly tried to draw thinking it would be like advertised in the game. Nothing, so then she tried the directions, nothing. We then commented about how we couldn't figure out why it was working.

Third Co-worker comes over and gives it a shot. No luck. Finally we figured out that you have to rotate the right stick while holding A.

If you've ever used the gamepad you know how dumb this is. Basically you either hold the pad at a bizarre angle where you're no longer looking at the screen because you're using both hands to draw. or you have to have freakish mole man hands to draw properly while holding A.

They seriously thought this was a good idea?

I went under control settings and you can't swap the joysticks at all. It would be 10x easier if I could draw with the left stick while holding A. Jesus. This turned me off from the game and we threw it back in the nintendo game shelf where it will gather dust with the rest of the non brawl wii / wii U games.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Third Co-worker comes over and gives it a shot. No luck. Finally we figured out that you have to rotate the right stick while holding A.

If you've ever used the gamepad you know how dumb this is. Basically you either hold the pad at a bizarre angle where you're no longer looking at the screen because you're using both hands to draw. or you have to have freakish mole man hands to draw properly while holding A.

This is completely untrue and you and all of your coworkers are terrible at video games. You draw the shape with the stick, then press A, or X if you want to summon it as an AI controlled morph.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

deadwing posted:

This is completely untrue and you and all of your coworkers are terrible at video games.

Well it sure as hell wasn't working without us having to do it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I can't speak for why you had stylus issues, but you're supposed to actually draw the shape with the right stick, not just rotate it. Then you press A afterwards to confirm the shape.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A reasonably quick rotation should be sufficient to make a tiny Unite Hand though so I'm not sure quite what was going wrong or how holding A would solve the problem. :psyduck:

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
Wonderful 101 impressions always read like trying to introduce my friends to Street Fighter or other fighting games. Either they get the hadouken motion or they don't, and no controller or arcade stick can change the people who struggle with those motions.

For the record I've already beaten W101 once on normal and I'm currently working on hard mode.

Pankratos fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

deadwing posted:

A reasonably quick rotation should be sufficient to make a tiny Unite Hand though so I'm not sure quite what was going wrong or how holding A would solve the problem. :psyduck:

I'm starting to wonder if it was proximity to the TV. But we definitely only could get it to work by holding A down and rotating the stick to draw the circle. Or holding an and drawing the straight line for the sword.

It definitely didn't like us not holding A.

• Locked thread