Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

Could one of those cables breaking its connection while the computer is running do real damage to something? If it's not a threat to the integrity of anything, I'd rather not replace it. I've had the thing since 2006.

If the cable comes slightly loose while it is running it could start arching and damage the connector and the motherboard permanently by the heat generated, or start a bit of a fire in extreme cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wulfolme posted:

...should a power supply from 2006 just be replaced anyway?

If it matters at all, this is the exact unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182029

The only time you should be using a seven-year-old power supply in a new build is if it has a ten-year warranty (lifetime doesn't count) and it's still a decent fit for your equipment (it wouldn't be). And on second thought, I'm not sure I'd trust a ten-year warranty. The company could be gone by then. I'd probably cap a power supply at two full build cycles, end of warranty, or whenever problems traced directly to the power supply or to no other part of the system came up, whichever came first.

Dear lord it had a one-year warranty. You probably shouldn't have been using that thing new. Yeah, nothing (irreversibly) bad happened to you, but someone's gotta win the lottery.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 7, 2013

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well drat. New power supply is ordered and on the way. Thanks, goons.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm looking for some quick advice which is more related to software, but since I couldn't locate a thread for that, I'll try my luck in here. :)

I just bought a new HDD(Hitachi Deskstar 1Tb) and wonder what kind of software I should use to clone the content of my old drive. The Drive is already hooked, so I basically want to clone drive to drive. Google has tons of results, but I don't really trust a lot of the free applications that it suggested. So, I would appreciate some advice on what tools to use, and if there are any things about cloning my drive that I should keep in mind?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macrium Reflect is what the SSD thread recommends. It can work HDD to HDD too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Aphrodite posted:

Macrium Reflect is what the SSD thread recommends. It can work HDD to HDD too.
Thanks, Macrium worked like a charm and was surprisingly fast. :respek:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
I need some help with microphones, They seem to work on magic.

I have a cheap Dynex headset I use for skype, it works fine on other computers, but once I plug it into mine it simply stops working. they play audio, but the microphone doesn't pick up any sound, or it does but it's so quiet its inaudible. Seems to be really arbitrary too, It was working fine last night, this morning its not. Somedays a reboot fixes it, some days it doesn't.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dementedghost posted:

I need some help with microphones, They seem to work on magic.

I have a cheap Dynex headset I use for skype, it works fine on other computers, but once I plug it into mine it simply stops working. they play audio, but the microphone doesn't pick up any sound, or it does but it's so quiet its inaudible. Seems to be really arbitrary too, It was working fine last night, this morning its not. Somedays a reboot fixes it, some days it doesn't.

Is it a USB or a microphone jack (pink) headset? You should definitely take a look in your recording device settings in Windows, the default is usually to set the mic to 20% volume, whereas it's usually useful to have it at 100% volume with a 20 or 30 dB boost.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
USB, and there is no boost setting on this, but it is at 100%. I should say that by so quiet you can't hear it I mean only on the configure window can you see an form of pickup and thats little more than 1 pixel flashing. Also no other mics work on my computer, USB or not. It seems very arbitrary.

EDIT: this is the wrong thread.

Dementedghost fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 7, 2013

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
Silly question.. but maybe someone can shed some light for me. I am running Windows 7 x64 on my Crucial M4 60gb SSD and I have my media/games on an external USB drive. I was cleaning out my PC and making room on both drives because they are dangerously close to full. I am getting ready to do a little upgrading and add another drive internally (possibly a new main drive for Windows). Anyway, I noticed on my 60 gb SSD something odd when trying to make room. I knew it seemed weird because I DONT have that much stuff (programs, media, etc) on the drive but I don't understand how it's so full. 60gb drive translates to 59.5 gb useable. I have 6.30 gb FREE now after cleaning the disk and deleting everything I could possibly get rid of. So 59.50 - 6.30 = 53.20gb worth of stuff.

My SSD is (C:/) and for some reason I have a SYSTEM RESERVED (E:/) which is 100mb. I never noticed it and don't know what it's for. An automatic partition of sorts?

Anyway, so I have 53.20gb of stuff on my SSD, but when I add everything up I am coming up roughly ~13 gigs short. Now for a small drive, that is a lot of unaccounted space for me. My windows folder is ~29gigs. Everything else is about another 10-11gigs (my USERS folder, and Program Files and (x86)). I can't seem to find any hidden folders, unless I am looking wrong or in the wrong space. I have noticed some lag time lately on the drives which I attribute them to being near full. Don't really feel like formatting just to POSSIBLY save a few gigs. I don't have anything near the size of the missing ~13gigs, so I am not sure what the issue is. Could it be a hardware issue? I know this is the hardware thread, but I think it crosses both topics (software/hardware). I'd really like to find out where this space went and if I can reclaim it. Thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The system partition is your bootloader. Don't mount that.

The missing space is probably System Restore.

60GB is tiny, man.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
How much RAM do you have? That sounds about right for hiberfile.sys and pagefile.sys (hidden system files stored in the root of C:) in a system with 8-12 GB of RAM.

The answer is to get a bigger SSD, by the way. 60 GB is tiny for a Windows 7 machine, and still uncomfortably small for Win8.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The system partition is your bootloader. Don't mount that.

The missing space is probably System Restore.

60GB is tiny, man.

Factory Factory posted:

How much RAM do you have? That sounds about right for hiberfile.sys and pagefile.sys (hidden system files stored in the root of C:) in a system with 8-12 GB of RAM.

The answer is to get a bigger SSD, by the way. 60 GB is tiny for a Windows 7 machine, and still uncomfortably small for Win8.

Yes I know. I said I am upgrading my SSD to a bigger one for my Windows drive. I know 60gb is tiny, but still you guys think the missing 13 gigs is just hidden system files?

When you say System Restore, you're talking about restore points? Is there any way I can verify these system files by size. I feel a lot better knowing EVERYTHING adds up or just as close as can be. ~13 gigs off on a 60 gig drive is almost 25% missing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Yes I know. I said I am upgrading my SSD to a bigger one for my Windows drive. I know 60gb is tiny, but still you guys think the missing 13 gigs is just hidden system files?

When you say System Restore, you're talking about restore points? Is there any way I can verify these system files by size. I feel a lot better knowing EVERYTHING adds up or just as close as can be. ~13 gigs off on a 60 gig drive is almost 25% missing.

Check it out yourself:

I also had a 12 gig hiberfile.sys until I disabled hibernation becuase I don't use it. The size of these files will usually depend on how much ram you have but you can change the settings of them if you are so inclined.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://windirstat.info and figure out where your 13gigs of unknown data is.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ System Restore points will show up as "Unknown" unless you manually add your account to the ACL of System Volume Information (which probably doesn't hurt anything but ehh), and, because 'show unknown' is default disabled, not at all until you tick that.

Then again WinDirStat takes NTFS Compressed files at uncompressed value and doesn't expose filesystem files like the MFT at all, meaning WinDirStat's usage will never intentionally equal the Windows reported usage of a given volume.

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Advanced System Settings > System Protection; Configure... your SSD. Probably not the greatest idea to dump those yet.

ALSO: Windows storage sizes are mislabeled: a Windows gigabyte is an SI gibibyte* (230 bytes.) A hard drive gigabyte** is an SI gigabyte (109 bytes). Don't be surprised if your hard drive says it only has around 56 "GB" available.

*Also :twitch:.
**Also almost every other OS on the planet, unless it explicitly specifies SI data measurements (kiB, MiB, GiB, TiB vs kB or KB*, MB, GB, TB.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 8, 2013

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
This happened to me when I was playing tonight.

Surely this is a sign of a dying video card (evga GTX 660ti), right? If so, then this is the 2nd or 3rd RMA'd card I've recieved from evga that has ended up doing this after a few months of use. The problem is that support has said that the cards I send back check out just fine over there, but I don't have any sort of problems like this pop up when I'm on my backup GTX 460.

System:
Asrock B85M mobo
i5 4570
8GB memory
Samsung 830
Samsung 840 Pro
500GB WD drive

The weird thing about this is that this has happened on two separate systems. So is EVGA lying or is there another issue I'm not seeing? Oddly enough, the Steam overlay showed up just fine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ryuga Death posted:

This happened to me when I was playing tonight.

Surely this is a sign of a dying video card (evga GTX 660ti), right? If so, then this is the 2nd or 3rd RMA'd card I've recieved from evga that has ended up doing this after a few months of use. The problem is that support has said that the cards I send back check out just fine over there, but I don't have any sort of problems like this pop up when I'm on my backup GTX 460.

System:
Asrock B85M mobo
i5 4570
8GB memory
Samsung 830
Samsung 840 Pro
500GB WD drive

The weird thing about this is that this has happened on two separate systems. So is EVGA lying or is there another issue I'm not seeing? Oddly enough, the Steam overlay showed up just fine.

How hot is that card getting? I had a card that would slowly introduce weird errors in 3D games, but they'd be the exact same errors every time, and only for high-demand games. For example, an early one would be a 30-foot spine shooting out of the nose of the Medic from TF2. Eventually, everyone would start looking like porcupines. But it would only happen after about 30 minutes of play time.

Bioshock would do something similar, some of the larger gears on one of the levels would suddenly get 30-foot long gear teeth, then it would crash a few minutes later.

It was a combination of high heat and the card being a cheap piece of poo poo, I figure, because I've never seen it happen again with better-researched parts and paying more attention to fan speeds/case temps.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

How hot is that card getting? I had a card that would slowly introduce weird errors in 3D games, but they'd be the exact same errors every time, and only for high-demand games. For example, an early one would be a 30-foot spine shooting out of the nose of the Medic from TF2. Eventually, everyone would start looking like porcupines. But it would only happen after about 30 minutes of play time.

Bioshock would do something similar, some of the larger gears on one of the levels would suddenly get 30-foot long gear teeth, then it would crash a few minutes later.

It was a combination of high heat and the card being a cheap piece of poo poo, I figure, because I've never seen it happen again with better-researched parts and paying more attention to fan speeds/case temps.

I haven't paid much attention to the temps during load, but even during the summer, I think I'd see it get up to around 68C at load. Either way, I've started another RMA. I'm really regretting getting this card now.

I got this card Nov of 2012, but I just feel like saying screw it and getting a 760 from somewhere else. Is there any chance maybe a faulty cable is at fault or that it's my PSU somehow? The evga tech support guys keep saying it's something else other than the card.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 8, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Ryuga Death posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the temps during load, but even during the summer, I think I'd see it get up to around 68C at load. Either way, I've started another RMA. I'm really regretting getting this card now.

I got this card Nov of 2012, but I just feel like saying screw it and getting a 760 from somewhere else. Is there any chance maybe a faulty cable is at fault or that it's my PSU somehow? The evga tech support guys keep saying it's something else other than the card.
Nothing's wrong with your card. Your character has actually "leveled up" and is now in full command of the universal forces, granting him "power-ups" and thus making his fighting moves stronger. :science:

68C isn't that high for the card, so if it's not going any higher than 80C or so it's probably not heat-related. I would look at the power supply since it's happened on different cards. What model PSU are you running and how old is it?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Nothing's wrong with your card. Your character has actually "leveled up" and is now in full command of the universal forces, granting him "power-ups" and thus making his fighting moves stronger. :science:

68C isn't that high for the card, so if it's not going any higher than 80C or so it's probably not heat-related. I would look at the power supply since it's happened on different cards. What model PSU are you running and how old is it?

XFX 650W XXX Edition

Ordered it on June 4th of this year, received it on June 6th. The other system this happened on had an Antec PSU that was running at 1000W that was ~5 years old, so that's why I just opted for a new system altogether. If it was my PSU, wouldn't I have experienced other problems? Besides the dumb gpu stuff, I've not had any other issue with booting or shutting down (besides one, but that was related to the BIOS not being updated).

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 8, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Have you tried using different cables? Made sure that your cable is plugged in correctly? In both your graphics card and your monitor. Your graphics card is seated properly? Did these graphical errors start showing up after a driver update?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
For both of those PSUs to show the same error it might very well be the card or drivers.. Did you completely remove any old drivers with driver sweeper before installing the card's drivers? Are you using release-version drivers or a beta driver set? Definitely check the cables as GrizzlyCow pointed-out.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrizzlyCow posted:

Have you tried using different cables? Made sure that your cable is plugged in correctly? In both your graphics card and your monitor. Your graphics card is seated properly? Did these graphical errors start showing up after a driver update?

I have not tired using different cables because, sadly, I don't have any other cables to try out. By cables, are you talking about the PSU cables and the DVI cable? As far as I know, my GPU is seated and locked into the mobo properly. I've been on the same driver for the past couple of months and have had no issues until last night when the screenshot happened. I've been browsing with the same machine just fine and able to watch videos and wake it up from sleep just fine.

LCD Deathpanel posted:

For both of those PSUs to show the same error it might very well be the card or drivers.. Did you completely remove any old drivers with driver sweeper before installing the card's drivers? Are you using release-version drivers or a beta driver set? Definitely check the cables as GrizzlyCow pointed-out.

Yes, whenever I removed the old drivers, I'd always use driver sweeper to clean out the crap in safe mode before installing a new driver.

I'm on the 314.22 drivers because any WHQL drivers beyond that up until the August release has given me some sort of issue whereas the 314.22 drivers have not. The August drivers gave me a bsod while playing PS2, replacing the drivers afterwards stopped the BSOD issue.

At this point, should I just give up and get a new card from a different vendor?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I was talking about DVI cable. If the other goons in this thread can't help you, it might be worth it to take your problem to Haus before RMAing your card.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, but I've made up my mind to RMA the card and buy a new card from a different vendor.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I want to buy a cheap RFID card reader to log people making espresso in my team room at work so we can do this at zero profit/cost and so that I can have a toy project to over-engineer the hell out of. It can be attached to some random box no one is using (probably will be running Windows 8.1, but could potentially install Windows Server 2008 R2 or the like if necessary), and I'll write some simple app to run in the background and log activity.

My question is: what do I need to look out for in a card reader? I'm not a EE and I'm tempted to just buy a random one from Amazon. I would like to be able to register any cards people want to use eg. bank cards, security badges from work.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

http://windirstat.info and figure out where your 13gigs of unknown data is.

Welp. Answered my question. Thanks. I couldn't find the pagefile and hiberfile anywhere, even checked for hidden files. But Windirstat located them and it all adds up now. ~14 gigs between the two which accounts for what I couldn't find. All in all though, ~29 gigs in my windows folder and ~14 gigs between system files (pagefile, hiberfile, etc). Close to 43 gigs to run Windows 7? That make any sense? Jesus.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Welp. Answered my question. Thanks. I couldn't find the pagefile and hiberfile anywhere, even checked for hidden files. But Windirstat located them and it all adds up now. ~14 gigs between the two which accounts for what I couldn't find. All in all though, ~29 gigs in my windows folder and ~14 gigs between system files (pagefile, hiberfile, etc). Close to 43 gigs to run Windows 7? That make any sense? Jesus.
That's about right. Too much to really fit comfortably on a 60GB drive, although disabling hibernation and setting a manual min/max pagefile will free up a small bit of space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

The page file and hibernation file sizes are directly in proportion to your RAM, yes. And your default installation of Windows 7 will include all sorts of drivers and the like just in case you need them, rather then expecting you to have the installation media around to extract 'em from.

Some of the stuff in your Windows folder is probably installation data for various patches and service packs though, which you don't need. Disk Cleanup and selecting "Clean up system files" can help get rid of that. Mine's currently at 20 GB since I recently cleaned that all up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I couldn't find the pagefile and hiberfile anywhere, even checked for hidden files.

You need to turn on the option to view system files, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I apologize if there is a better place to ask this question and I missed it, but does anyone have any recommendations for a dualshock style controller for the pc. I just can't deal with using a 360 controller.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

I apologize if there is a better place to ask this question and I missed it, but does anyone have any recommendations for a dualshock style controller for the pc. I just can't deal with using a 360 controller.

I use a PS3 controller, connected with a miniUSB cable, and these drivers.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is a small question that my google skills have been unable to answer. I bought a super cheap GearHead 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard about a year ago and the mouse is starting to become unresponsive every few hours. Both the mouse and keyboard connect through the computer through a small USB dongle. Since I'm only replacing the mouse, will any 2.4GHz mouse work with the existing dongle, or is there something else I need to look at? Ideally, I'd like to keep the keyboard I have now and get a new mouse without having to use up another USB slot for a 2nd dongle.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lester Shy posted:

This is a small question that my google skills have been unable to answer. I bought a super cheap GearHead 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard about a year ago and the mouse is starting to become unresponsive every few hours. Both the mouse and keyboard connect through the computer through a small USB dongle. Since I'm only replacing the mouse, will any 2.4GHz mouse work with the existing dongle, or is there something else I need to look at? Ideally, I'd like to keep the keyboard I have now and get a new mouse without having to use up another USB slot for a 2nd dongle.
No, you're going to need a new wireless dongle if you're not using standard Bluetooth hardware. That said, it's probably a much smarter choice to NOT get 2.4Ghz wireless equipment since that's the same band as WiFi and Bluetooth, resulting in interference.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

LCD Deathpanel posted:

That's about right. Too much to really fit comfortably on a 60GB drive, although disabling hibernation and setting a manual min/max pagefile will free up a small bit of space.

This is true.

My file-server box is a Win 7 machine running a used 60gb SSD as a boot drive. I've got Win 7 down to about 30'ish gigs, including page file, since it really doesn't need much. 16 gigs of RAM and a 4-gig page file seems to fly just fine.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ordering RAM for a friend of mine. His mobo supports DDR3 1333MHz. If I get him 1600 will it work as a 1333 stick or will it be completely incompatible? Also, if it does work, does he need to do anything special in the BIOS? Thanks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

y_3 posted:

Ordering RAM for a friend of mine. His mobo supports DDR3 1333MHz. If I get him 1600 will it work as a 1333 stick or will it be completely incompatible? Also, if it does work, does he need to do anything special in the BIOS? Thanks.
Yes RAM will downclock to lower speeds, the motherboard will set the speed automatically, though he may need to double-check it picked the right settings. See the Parts Picking Megathread for more guidance.

E: Also, trying to mix RAM modules or use more than one per channel often ends in tears, so it's probably better to replace any existing RAM rather than try to upgrade.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 10, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Generally yes, system boards can underclock the RAM to their top supported speed.

The same thing will happen if you mix two different speeds of RAM, all modules will be underclocked to the lowest speed.

You shouldn't need to make any BIOS changes.

e: f/b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So, I'm trying to figure out a good Skype solution for a movie theater to let directors and the like do Q&A's remotely. The booth computer has the connection, as well as inputs for the microphone and outputs to house speakers.

What I need is some sort of camera that connect wirelessly to the booth computer(or maybe the theater's wifi) and be counted used to let the person on the other end of the call see the audience asking them questions. The distance is about 100-150 feet from the computer and using a cable is not an option. It'd be best if the camera worked off a battery, but wall power is workable if there's no other option.

The only thing I'm really finding is wireless security cameras which I hesitate to haul off and buy only to find out they're not able to stream in real time to Skype at at least 30fps and 720p. Wide angle would be a bonus, as would even crappy audio streaming options for general monitoring uses(the projection booth is ludicrously soundproof, so I can never hear anything that's going on in there unless somebody's talking straight into an active house mic).

Anybody have some candidates to offer?

• Locked thread