Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Carteret posted:

Who is this, because goddamn that video and video title are inspired.
My older brother Hypnolobster, I think combined we had that dash out at least a half dozen times, he got it down to an art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
With the government shutdown, I am glad I have my road warrior car to tool around in.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Today felt like a good day for exploring some local roads; the offroading club at the top of the mountain were slightly surprised to see anything with 2WD make it all the way up.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Awesome shots! Looks like a fun place to go exploring :)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
So far so good, looks like I might be able to get 15mpg too. 14mpg so far with mixed city driving. Only 1600 miles to go to AZ.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My mind is screaming that that's a terrible way to tow an AWD car. What don't I know?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

He removed the driveshaft. I did the same thing to get my Forster home with a dolly.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Hmm, dad's Grand Marquis is doing a funny thing where the blinkers randomly start blinking fast and then go back to slow, back and forth. Found a TSB, but it looks like a pain in the rear end. Basically looks like the climate control circuit is sucking up too much power when the blower's on high, so they have you throw the blinkers on another circuit.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/powerdistrofix/tsb01233.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holdbrooks posted:

So far so good, looks like I might be able to get 15mpg too. 14mpg so far with mixed city driving. Only 1600 miles to go to AZ.

You're towing with the OD off, right? That's decent mpg.

If you had air ride the rear end would have leveled right off :smug:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Fart Pipe posted:

He removed the driveshaft. I did the same thing to get my Forster home with a dolly.

I knew it had to be something obvious. :shobon:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cab to the airport this morning was a franken-panther. Front end of the Vic, back end of the Marquis. Dash was police spec Vic, with 496k miles. Drivers seat was older style with the rounded headrest, passengers seat was newer style with square headrest.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

This photo really makes me want a Crown Vic.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Jared592 posted:

Hmm, dad's Grand Marquis is doing a funny thing where the blinkers randomly start blinking fast and then go back to slow, back and forth. Found a TSB, but it looks like a pain in the rear end. Basically looks like the climate control circuit is sucking up too much power when the blower's on high, so they have you throw the blinkers on another circuit.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/powerdistrofix/tsb01233.html

I had the same issue but mine was a loose battery cable, just had to snug up the neutral connection and all was fine and dandy. Now only if my timing chain TSB was that easy.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
After seeing T1g4h's video of his glass pack exhaust I couldn't help myself and went and did the same thing myself. It really does sound very nice, not obnoxiously loud but a very nice rumble from idle up until about 2.5k rpm. No significant drone at highway speeds. Plus for the price it cant be beat, worst part of the install was just getting the stock mufflers off; they had been clamped on so tightly I had to air-chisel them off.

I would definitely recommend it as an option to others looking to louden things up.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Hey do you guys remember talking about the towing with a Vic? Well, let this put to rest any doubts about the ol' Panther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5yAomvKfA

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I could see that combo being susceptible to some pretty awful side to side death wobble on a windy day.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I made it back home with no issues, 5400 miles total in two weeks. I got 16mpg overall for the 1800 miles home, which I think is pretty good for towing 4000lbs and keeping up with the speed limits. I have to say that I am really impressed with the P71, best $3800 I have spent on a car.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

I made it back home with no issues, 5400 miles total in two weeks. I got 16mpg overall for the 1800 miles home, which I think is pretty good for towing 4000lbs and keeping up with the speed limits. I have to say that I am really impressed with the P71, best $3800 I have spent on a car.

It's only the best Sedan... no, best car that the USA has ever produced, no big deal.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Today felt like a good day for exploring some local roads; the offroading club at the top of the mountain were slightly surprised to see anything with 2WD make it all the way up.

I don't know what it is but panthers just handle themselves really well offroad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holdbrooks posted:

16 mpg in a land barge, pulling basically its own weight behind it.... :stare:

... while my 2800 pound 2.2L plastic economy car is lucky to hit 22 MPG when used for delivery, and so far, I've yet to break 26 mpg highway.

:sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 9, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

16 mpg in a land barge, pulling basically its own weight behind it.... :stare:

... while my 2800 pound 2.2L plastic economy car is lucky to hit 22 MPG when used for delivery, and so far, I've yet to break 26 mpg highway.

:sigh:

Tall gears and lots of low end torque is that really really helps. When I used to own my 92 Trans Am, if I drove it sanely and kept it under 80, I would regularly do 24.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In town's where the fun is though, I've regularly seen 8-9mpg :iamafag:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

So I was cleaning the back of my CVPI and found this:

What is this cable? It was under the passenger seat, I didn't have a chance to follow it back.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Police radio antenna hookup maybe?

Edit: vvvv yeah, that! vvvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 10, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

So I was cleaning the back of my CVPI and found this:

What is this cable? It was under the passenger seat, I didn't have a chance to follow it back.

That is a "PL-259" connector attached to coax. It's for an antenna which may or may not still be on the car (or at least the antenna base).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Motronic posted:

That is a "PL-259" connector attached to coax. It's for an antenna which may or may not still be on the car (or at least the antenna base).

Found it, the lug for it is through the rear windshield. Maybe I should get my CB on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

Found it, the lug for it is through the rear windshield. Maybe I should get my CB on.

Does it looks like this?

That's the most common thin you'll find. It's call an NMO mount. With that information you should be able to find whatever correct band NMO mount antenna you'll need for whatever you want to hook up to it (CB, scanner, etc).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's worth noting that NMO CB antennas are not exactly common, it's mostly used for business and amateur radio which need smaller antennas for their higher frequencies. I wouldn't use a CB antenna with a glass-mount anyways, my Larsen NMO27B is tall enough that its bent my trunk lid a bit around the mount. Glass won't bend, but it might break.

Most CB antennas will be built for the counterpart to that connector, the SO-239 socket. Which is really stupid, since those are not waterproof with the antennas removed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Most" aren't, because NMO is more of a "real radio" mounting system, but there are plenty of $20-$50 options that are likely to be worlds better than a fiberglass whip.

The antenna you chose is an 11 meter 1/4 wave beast and yeah....it's gonna bend a lip mount. Most of them aren't so bulky and even the one you chose shouldn't bend a properly installed drill through NMO mount.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

The antenna you chose is an 11 meter 1/4 wave beast and yeah....it's gonna bend a lip mount. Most of them aren't so bulky and even the one you chose shouldn't bend a properly installed drill through NMO mount.

Mine's a drilled mount, its just a big whip. That's the deal with CB though, anything smaller just isn't great.

The old lip mount actually did less damage to the metal, but destroyed the paint and provided unreliable grounding at best.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 11, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

Mine's a drilled mount, its just a big whip. That's the deal with CB though, anything smaller just isn't great.

Note that I said properly installed. I'm going to guess yours was drilled through the sheet metal and mounted with no backer to spread the load.

Anything with more than a couple of feet in the wind needs to have some manner of metal backing sandwiched to the sheet metal, preferably attached to the inside sheet metal fram of the trunk or whatever other panel it's on. You'll find that good installers do this on all trunk and roof mount antennas. And you'll also find that most installers that get these municipal contracts are hack jobs.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
When I returned the tow dolly yesterday the three guys jumped my poo poo about towing with the vic. The said it was not a valid hookup and it should have never left uhaul. It was pretty funny how little they know when that think that the know everything about towing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

When I returned the tow dolly yesterday the three guys jumped my poo poo about towing with the vic. The said it was not a valid hookup and it should have never left uhaul. It was pretty funny how little they know when that think that the know everything about towing.

Uhaul gave me poo poo about towing the EXP with the Lightning.

"Your truck doesn't have 4WD, what if you got stuck???"

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uhaul people are comically inept and that entire company should burn to the ground. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Midniter posted:

Uhaul people are comically inept and that entire company should burn to the ground. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

They installed a hitch on my old Cherokee and hosed it up pretty badly. Brake fuse kept blowing out and the flat out refused to fix it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holdbrooks posted:

What do you expect when you pay minimum wage and shovel buckets full of "the customer doesn't know poo poo" at the employees? :smith:

There are many, many reasons why I will never do business with U-Haul again.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
On the other hand I can only imagine the comedy setups their customers have tried to pull. The earlier-posted 'car pulling a car pulling a cargo trailer' doesn't even begin to cover it.

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012
Hello, I own a 2002 CVPI that's recently developed noticeable belt whine, like more than before. I pulled off the belt and checked all the pulleys and they all spin fine, but after I put the belt back on I noticed that the tensioner seems to jitter a lot. Could this be the source of the noise? It's definitely a steady whine that gets louder and quieter with the RPMs, and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm turning or not so I don't think it's the power steering, and the water pump pulley turns just fine as well as everything else. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe the alternator is on its way out but nothing else seems to indicate that.

Also I love this thread and I love Panther Platforms and I love my car to death you guys are all the best

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Uhaul gave me poo poo about towing the EXP with the Lightning.

"Your truck doesn't have 4WD, what if you got stuck???"

What? I... That... What?
I'm not even sure how I would respond to that. There's words there, bit they don't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

What? I... That... What?
I'm not even sure how I would respond to that. There's words there, bit they don't make any sense.

Well there's two factors.

1. Uhaul's training takes about 45 minutes.

2. I live in Indiana.