Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

You think that's bad? Check out this page from Avengers: Initiative 35. Look at the last panel.

Hey, kudos for giving primordial dwarves their due in popular media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Kurzon posted:

You think that's bad? Check out this page from Avengers: Initiative 35. Look at the last panel.

It looks the baby is painted onto her shirt. It's two dimensional.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stupid babies need the most attention.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was impressed by this spread from the recent Supergirl #24.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

I can't take the motion blur. It looks lovely and out of place IMO.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think it adds dimension to the image. The whirlwind in the background should be out of focus, though by that logic the city should be blurred as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I don't hate it, but I wish it was more contained near the bottom of the plume, and didn't even get near her hand.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is comic book dialogue nowadays that melodramatic, or is does it make more sense in context? Because man, that's some bona-fide Silver-Age melodramatic hamminess there! Lovely! :allears:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
'Cyborg Superman' is kind of a mouthful in a dramatic scene.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Is comic book dialogue nowadays that melodramatic, or is does it make more sense in context? Because man, that's some bona-fide Silver-Age melodramatic hamminess there! Lovely! :allears:

Not unless you're Thor. And no, it doesn't really make that much sense. The context is Supergirl basically got killed but her consciousness survived inside a planet made of nanobots and, beating the odds, she's reconstructing a giant body for herself. I guess that tends to make one start to power trip and talk really melodramatically.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib

DrSunshine posted:

What you talking about? That there is downright poetic!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

'Cyborg Superman' is kind of a mouthful in a dramatic scene.

Well, she can't yell "Cyborg" or she'll seem weird and she cant yell "Superman" or she'll seem weird. She's kinda screwed!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

What you talking about? That there is downright poetic!

Stan Leeish even.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It wishes it could be this
New Gods 6

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 18, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

DrSunshine posted:

When I read that dialogue, I had thought that Supergirl had been possessed by some bombastic cosmic entity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Well, she can't yell "Cyborg" or she'll seem weird and she cant yell "Superman" or she'll seem weird. She's kinda screwed!

Could've just yelled "Henshaw!" unless Cyborg-Superman isn't Hank Henshaw in the New 52.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

Could've just yelled "Henshaw!" unless Cyborg-Superman isn't Hank Henshaw in the New 52.

He isn't, that would be way too interesting.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

CS is her dad!

I think!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Let's take a moment and marvel at how dumb that costume is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Alhazred posted:

You could post this in response to almost every panel posted in BSS.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

redbackground posted:

CS is her dad!

I think!

Yep, Cyborg Superman's one shot revealed Brainiac messed around with her dad's body to make a kidnapping robot

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goldenoreos posted:

Yep, Cyborg Superman's one shot revealed Brainiac messed around with her dad's body to make a kidnapping robot

Is it sort of like Moondragon and Drax the Destroyer, then?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alhazred posted:

I'm especially concerned about the red patch on her crotch area. It often looks like it could fall off at any moment, like a poorly fitted nappy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Making Cyborg Superman he father is actually pretty inspired. Much better than a Reed Richards knockoff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

It doesn't look like motion blur, it looks as though she was melting. She has melty bits above her shoulders and head, in addition.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Take a look around the vortex. The art absolutely has a terrible, useless filter over it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 19, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vincent posted:

Stan Leeish even.

A bad impression of Stan Lee doing Terrance Stamp's General Zod.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Making Cyborg Superman he father is actually pretty inspired. Much better than a Reed Richards knockoff.
Making him Brainiac's bitch is also pretty good. It makes Brainiac less of a collector-cataloguer robot, though.

Also, MaleGaze and all, but them's some superthighs. I'm kind of glad she's not being portrayed as the superwaif from Superman/Batman.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Just posted some great bad art on my blog, figured I'd share here. Art from Avengers Unplugged #1, art by MC Wyman, words by Glenn Herdling:

Count Nefaria rip-off (and the original Moonstone) "Nefarius" attacks the Jury, trying to get to Moonstone:

He finds her in a swimsuit (obviously):

Hercules to the rescue, changing outfits panel to panel:

Full review here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-avengers-unplugged-1.html

Cronin over at CBR did a pretty detailed look at issue #2, which featured an even bigger continuity issue: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/04/08/my-favorite-mid-90s-marvel-comic-screw-up/

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 22, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

Making him Brainiac's bitch is also pretty good. It makes Brainiac less of a collector-cataloguer robot, though.

Also, MaleGaze and all, but them's some superthighs. I'm kind of glad she's not being portrayed as the superwaif from Superman/Batman.

Oh poo poo, we're praising New 52!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
laz0rbeak, just stop posting bad art from the 90s because it nearly all sucked.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

laz0rbeak, just stop posting bad art from the 90s because it nearly all sucked.

No? This is the thread for humorously poor comic art.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
True, and you at least didn't post Liefeld, but 90s art was so widely bad that it cannot shock me anymore. These days, by comparison, comic book art is very good, and I'd rather see recent efforts that either fall below or above current standards.

Fixed Expression
Nov 9, 2009
Ignore this man, I love ridiculous 90's art.

So much teeth gritting went on back then.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RHATO 27 cover

Roy Harper, midget or a case of steroids abuse?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's on the Liefeld Workout Plan. Note: Please consult podiatrist before trying plan. Results may vary.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's just the perspective. Hey, it looks like he's trying to fire two arrows at once, and his bow has no string.

How is Ra's blocking Starfire's bolts with his bare hands? Does the Lazarus Pit do that?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

It's just the perspective. Hey, it looks like he's trying to fire two arrows at once, and his bow has no string.

How is Ra's blocking Starfire's bolts with his bare hands? Does the Lazarus Pit do that?

He got an upgrade on the most recent issue and now is a GOD...

yeah, is really stupid :smith:

Seeing more closely the cover. Jason, what's wrong with your legs? :stonk:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Again, it's just perspective plus the water that's skewing your perception.

Gah, I absolutely hate the New 52 Starfire. It's like they deliberately wanted to differentiate their version from the TV cartoon version in the most vulgar and unimaginative way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

Again, it's just perspective plus the water that's skewing your perception.

Really? his leg left looks more like a stump, the odd angle of his hips and legs could be perception, though.