Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

I honestly don't think many Dutch footballers would start if the two nations merged. Maybe Van Persie and maybe Robben, I guess.

:(

belgend posted:

(still hate the Dutch tho)

:mad:

I'll try to remind myself to drive extra slow on the E19 next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

It's time for this thread to rear it's ugly head again.

gently caress international break.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
International football is great! gently caress european leagues!

DirecTV got exclusive rights to everything and now I can't watch poo poo

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Polidoro posted:

We all know how much you enjoy your national team. :v: Seriously, Ecuador/Uruguay is going to be tasty.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

We need to beat Ecuador so badly. We have 11 players with a yellow card and if the last game is a must-win (against Argentina, no less) we will start the WC (hopefully) with half a squad. We also need Ecuador to forget the things we've done to their team so they don't kill our players or something. I'm sure Oscar "loving" Tabárez will start Lugano, who has played superbly during the 6 minutes total he has played for West Brom since he joined them.

If only Venezuela could tie/lose their game, I'm pretty sure we could beat Jordan in the playoffs.

There's no enjoyment in Uruguayan football, only suffering.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm actually really looking forward to the qualifiers for once. I have no delusions about Poland qualifying, but nothing will make me happier than denying England a place in the World Cup (again). It's been too long.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Polidoro posted:

The only reason I have directv is because of football and formula 1, once you watch games and races in HD you can't go back to lovely Chinese streams.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

Polidoro posted:

We need to beat Ecuador so badly. We have 11 players with a yellow card and if the last game is a must-win (against Argentina, no less) we will start the WC (hopefully) with half a squad. We also need Ecuador to forget the things we've done to their team so they don't kill our players or something. I'm sure Oscar "loving" Tabárez will start Lugano, who has played superbly during the 6 minutes total he has played for West Brom since he joined them.

If only Venezuela could tie/lose their game, I'm pretty sure we could beat Jordan in the playoffs.

You are playing away (in Ecuador), correct? Horrible place to go. I dont think theyve lost there in the whole of the qualifying

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

northward posted:

You are playing away (in Ecuador), correct? Horrible place to go. I dont think theyve lost there in the whole of the qualifying

We beat them in Quito the last time we played, but you are right, their worst result at home this time was a tie against Argentina. Height and hot weather are terrible for us so I'm not getting my hopes up. We can always count on the corruption of CONMEBOL and its Uruguayan president :D

El Hefe posted:

The only reason I have directv is because of football and formula 1, once you watch games and races in HD you can't go back to lovely Chinese streams.

But I could watch all that in HD on my cable and then loving DirecTV came and now I can only watch baseball and American Football, or even worse Uruguayan football. Gonna switch to DirecTV when my contract is up.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Polidoro posted:

I wish there was a way to send only 2 teams from COMMEBOL this time, all the other ones are CONCACAF quality.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, which teams would you send instead? I don't think there's many teams that would improve the quality of the tournament outside the already qualified.

Anyway, except for Uruguay, I think every team in the CONMEBOL top 5 (and Brazil) would walk the CONCACAF qualys. Uruguay might scrape a playoff place.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
They should mix up the qualifiers a bit more imo, like every cycle pick a few teams from each federation and swap them round.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

cisneros posted:

I wish there was a way to send only 2 teams from COMMEBOL this time, all the other ones are CONCACAF quality.

I hope you aren't serious.

Actually, the Jordan face in your avatar is very fitting when reading your post.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Screen Error posted:

They should mix up the qualifiers a bit more imo, like every cycle pick a few teams from each federation and swap them round.

CONCACAF and OFC would only be able to cycle between themselves to keep it fair

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Ireland and Sweden.

Haggis Heed posted:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Haggis Heed posted:

This forever, especially after all the Milan players get injured playing in dead rubber games that don't matter at all.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Aren't they all injured already?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Polidoro posted:

No, some are banned!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I love international football, love it!

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I will be at an international football game come Friday!!!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Charlotte Hornets posted:

I'm sorry.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Polidoro posted:

Sandwolf posted:

No, some are banned!

I hate you both.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Me too, I will be at the Cardiff city stadium watching Wales take on *checks FAW website* macedonia!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Which one? I tried to get tickets for Uruguay - Argentina but couldn't get any because I overslept and the loving website crashed due to high traffic.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Polidoro posted:

Yeah, which teams would you send instead? I don't think there's many teams that would improve the quality of the tournament outside the already qualified.

Anyway, except for Uruguay, I think every team in the CONMEBOL top 5 (and Brazil) would walk the CONCACAF qualys. Uruguay might scrape a playoff place.

Uruguay will look good in the WC, it's just a shame that they got there by playing as bad as possible, and there's no way that Colombia or Ecuador don't get sent back home with a -5 GD. Basically, I wish that Venezuela could have pulled it off.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Playing as bad as possible has been our style since I can remember. We don't have the means to play well. In such a small pool of players as we have it's pretty hard to find people who are good with the ball and can also run for 90 minutes like headless chickens, so we pick the guys who can run. Also need to add that the players Tabarez thinks are not part of "the process" are not given a place. The biggest example of this is Napoli's Britos who wasn't called even when all our defence was suspended or injured and players from the U-20 got the call instead.

Colombia will do alright, I think. Ecuador are gonna get hosed, but so would Venezuela and I kinda hate Venezuela lately so gently caress them.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Only benefit of this international break is that I can finally buy a Spain shirt with Michu printed on the back and not look like a twat

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Meliv posted:

Only benefit of this international break is that I can finally buy a Spain shirt with Michu printed on the back and not look like a twat

I hate to break it to you, but...

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Meliv posted:

Shirts are for twats, you need to have a gigantic gut and paint it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Polidoro posted:

Playing as bad as possible has been our style since I can remember. We don't have the means to play well. In such a small pool of players as we have it's pretty hard to find people who are good with the ball and can also run for 90 minutes like headless chickens, so we pick the guys who can run. Also need to add that the players Tabarez thinks are not part of "the process" are not given a place. The biggest example of this is Napoli's Britos who wasn't called even when all our defence was suspended or injured and players from the U-20 got the call instead.

Colombia will do alright, I think. Ecuador are gonna get hosed, but so would Venezuela and I kinda hate Venezuela lately so gently caress them.

Having what is probably the best pair of strikers in the world must be a nice consolation though

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2013

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Yes it is, we would be hosed without them creating goals out of nothing at all. Can't complain about them at all, especially about Cavani who has accepted being played out of position all the time and always works hard.

edit: it just downed on me that I complain about Cavani all the time. Welp, he can be terrible some times so I think it's justified :colbert:

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 9, 2013

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Ninpo posted:

England to get a hilarious group of death.

To be fair it won't matter either way - never underestimate England's capacity to turn any group into a hilarious group of death.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Fideles posted:

To be fair it won't matter either way - never underestimate England's capacity to turn any group into a hilarious group of death.

England
Albania
Slovenia
Yanks

Best group since the beatles!!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Albania is Serbia.

It was Algeria.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Koesj posted:

Albania is Serbia.

It was Algeria.

we're in the geo political banter zone lads

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have a ticket to Costa Rica - Mexico next Tuesday. I will potentially watch Mexico fail to qualify and can't wait :ohdear:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Enjoy those Mexican tears for us!

Ref's gonna rob ya

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

sassassin posted:

I hate to break it to you, but...

I think the scale looks something like this:

- Shirt without a name on the back while actually playing football yourself
- Shirt without a name on the back while watching a match in the stadium (you are now just about entering the twat zone)
- Shirt without a name on the back on any other occasion
- Shirt with a player's name on the back
- Shirt with your own name on the back
- Full kit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Messyass posted:

I think the scale looks something like this:

- Shirt without a name on the back while actually playing football yourself
- Shirt without a name on the back while watching a match in the stadium (you are now just about entering the twat zone)
- Shirt without a name on the back on any other occasion
- Shirt with a player's name on the back
- Shirt with your own name on the back
- Full kit
- A Spain shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ahh how times change, it used to be a Brazil shirt.

• Locked thread