Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Lum posted:

Isn't it end of life next year?

Might be. All I know is I was barely out of High School when it was first released and I don't like it and I don't want to use it. Grumble bitch moan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Antioch posted:

Might be. All I know is I was barely out of High School when it was first released and I don't like it and I don't want to use it. Grumble bitch moan.

Good luck.

I reckon Citrix on 2003 will be around for years to come, if only because of all those poo poo webapps that require IE6 and will never be updated.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ticket came in

My PC is slow!

Let's see here what's going on....

:what:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Oh good loving lord. My boss just told me to start looking at Hyper-V to replace our 4 node VMWare cluster because it would save us $12,000 a year in licensing.

Hyper-v on 2012 isn't totally worth killing yourself over! It'll be ok!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We bought another company in December of last year. We merged together phone systems in May/June of this year. I discovered that up until today, if a customer of that other company called in and pressed the right options on their phone tree (about 75% of the time) the were dropped into an extremely unfriendly "We are available on the web 24*7 at https://www.oldcompany.com/support via email at support@oldcompany.com or if you are a dedicated customer, look at your sales documentation for your dedicated support number" loop that had NO VOICE MAIL PROMPT. Because of our synergistic branding, someone had the idea to put newcompany logos with a link to the newcompany support page at the top of oldcompany's support page, and removed all the oldcompany support phone numbers.

Can you guess what happened?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Stupid problem with Trent Micro Worry-Free Business Security 7. Each site for this client has their own trend micro server and with our domain name change a few months ago an issue has cropped up with one site. Trend is dumping can-to-email documents from the MFP into the jumk mailbox. We have verified it is trend doing it as outlook reports that it is a third party application filtering the email and there is no other non-standard software installed that is setup to filter email in any way. I have been through the configuration for the server, desktop and everything top to bottom and I cannot find any settings for email filtering. I have checked the trend servers for each site and they are all configured the same as far as I can tell. My googlefu has failed me as when i search for any kind of trend micro issues, I just get setup documentation for it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

Stupid problem with Trent Micro Worry-Free Business Security 7. Each site for this client has their own trend micro server and with our domain name change a few months ago an issue has cropped up with one site. Trend is dumping can-to-email documents from the MFP into the jumk mailbox. We have verified it is trend doing it as outlook reports that it is a third party application filtering the email and there is no other non-standard software installed that is setup to filter email in any way. I have been through the configuration for the server, desktop and everything top to bottom and I cannot find any settings for email filtering. I have checked the trend servers for each site and they are all configured the same as far as I can tell. My googlefu has failed me as when i search for any kind of trend micro issues, I just get setup documentation for it.

When you say you can't find the email filtering settings, do you not have this screen?

Accessed via menu->security settings, then selecting the exchange server name from the list, then configure.

jre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 9, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

jre posted:

When you say you can't find the email filtering settings, do you not have this screen?

Accessed via menu->security settings, then selecting the exchange server name from the list, then configure.

Hmm neither the current or old Exchange server is setup on any of the trend servers.. All of our other servers are

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 9, 2013

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

Hmm neither the current or old Exchange server is setup on any of the trend servers.. All of our other servers are

Have you seen this page?
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1056742.aspx

Section 4 talks about the MSA which has the behavior your talking about.

quote:

For WFBS Advanced only: Configure the MSA.
You will be prompted to install the MSA at one of the following points:
Note: This procedure applies to both local and remote MSA installation.
The Configuring Messaging Security Agent page highlights the local MSA.
When installing the Security Server on a computer that has Microsoft Exchange server installed on the same computer, Setup prompts you to install a local Messaging Security Agent.
When installing the Security Server on a computer that cannot detect the existence of local Microsoft Exchange servers, Setup prompts you to install the remote Messaging Security Agent to remote servers.

quote:

Spam management
End User Quarantine - If selected, WFBS creates a separate spam folder on Microsoft Outlook in addition to the Junk E-mail folder.
Outlook Junk Email folder - If selected, WFBS stores spam mail into this folder. Since Outlook typically moves spam mail in the End User Quarantine (EUQ) folder to the Junk E-mail folder, Trend Micro recommends to select this option.

Edit:

Have you tried accessing https://yourexchangeserver:4343

jre fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 9, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

jre posted:

Have you seen this page?
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1056742.aspx

Section 4 talks about the MSA which has the behavior your talking about.

Edit:

Have you tried accessing https://yourexchangeserver:4343

Installing MSA now. I don't recall anything mentioning MSA before that, I probably missed it skimming over it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Oh good loving lord. My boss just told me to start looking at Hyper-V to replace our 4 node VMWare cluster because it would save us $12,000 a year in licensing.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're paying for, but why in the gently caress are you re-licensing your cluster every year?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
A ticket from Office IT provider called in:
"Hey, I just got a call that there's an issue at ... and jsut wanted to let you know. It was reported by (Coworker)."
"Uh, dude, that's one of our guys?"
"Alright, forget I called, I'll check it out."

So they literally redirected a call that we responded to out of courtesy to our department because these fuckheads are too lazy to do any of the poo poo they are paid a fuckton for. We have literally no responsibility over this case and they independently forwarded the issue when my loving coworker (who identified himself...) reported the issue. They don't seem to pay attention who they talk to... So yeah, let's go there after escalating an issue with your PC which only you can fix to you.
We SHOULD stop doing these courtesy calls, but my department is looking to keep the hospital running, while they are only trying to do nothing they aren't forced to with a gun.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nexxai posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're paying for, but why in the gently caress are you re-licensing your cluster every year?

He probably meant maintenance. 12K in maint seems high for a 4 host cluster though.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Antioch posted:

Server 2003 SP2 is what, 6+ years old? End of Life on that poo poo was years ago.

Lum posted:

Isn't it end of life next year?
July 2015. I looked this up the other day because some lovely vendor wants us to set up 2 R620s running 2003... 32bit. gently caress GE and their lovely Muse program.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TWBalls posted:

July 2015. I looked this up the other day because some lovely vendor wants us to set up 2 R620s running 2003... 32bit. gently caress GE and their lovely Muse program.

bonus points if they won't let you virtualize and force you to run on bare metal.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
A system came in for a co-worker. The dispatch notes said that the system would not start up. They also said the client brought it home and when she came in the room the dog was licking it. Okay liquid damage quote this will be easy.

He opened the system to find still wet dog piss. :shepface:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

He probably meant maintenance. 12K in maint seems high for a 4 host cluster though.

Yes, maintenance. That's the number my boss mentioned so who knows how true it is.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skipdogg posted:

bonus points if they won't let you virtualize and force you to run on bare metal.

That was the original plan. My co-worker couldn't figure out how to deploy 2003 on it (he's using the setup discs that come with the server, apparently, they only support 2008 or greater now). So, they're having us install 2012 and then set up 2003 VM on each server.

I just looked. These servers had dual 6-core 2.5Ghz procs with 16GB of RAM. All they're going to be is a simple interface between GE's Muse system and Cerner. That's it.

Since they sent these without any of the OS or licensing and Cardiology is riding our rear end to get this up and running quickly, we're going to use some of our spare R420's instead, which are still overkill (Single Quad-core 2.2Ghz, 16GB RAM).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zeratanis posted:

A system came in for a co-worker. The dispatch notes said that the system would not start up. They also said the client brought it home and when she came in the room the dog was licking it. Okay liquid damage quote this will be easy.

At least it's not as bad as "the spec bucket."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
a layoffs came in... as they do about every year here. that's a pretty clear sign of needing to :yotj:, isn't it? layoff hasn't finished and I'm naturally worried /stressed, but I'm in Italy on vacation os I couldn't give a gently caress either way until I get back next week.

I've learned a lot, it's my first corporate job, and my first IT job (and first complete year in IT) . company is also well known for underpaying as far as salaries (even with some decent benefits).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depends I guess. I don't worry about it too much. My current company bought the company I worked for about 3 years ago and once or twice a year some true redundancies are ironed out and some folks are let go. It sucks, but the company is doing well and is very healthy.

I also don't worry about getting laid off though for 2 reasons.

1: I have a nice cushion in the bank where I can be unemployed for up to 6 months and stay afloat. This is important and goes both ways. I'm not beholden to a lovely employer because I need next weeks check to make rent. Get those finances straight and emergency funds funded!

2: I know I can be working again in less than a week. It won't be the cushy awesome job I have now, but I have an in demand skill-set and should have no problem landing a lovely 6 month contract gig somewhere while I look for something else.

If the company has lost some important contracts and funding has been slashed, and bills aren't getting paid, it's time to jump ship. (top executivesleaving the company is another warning sign) If they're just trimming some fat from the payroll, well unfortunately that's normal in the corporate world.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Wow, my mind is blown.. the ticket regarding the improper licensing at the one clients site for some software is actually being escalated. It took a bit of fighting as they tried to make me close it for customer non-contact, but I managed to get it into the teams head that now that we know they are out of compliance, we have to make the client get into compliance either by purchasing the additional licenses or by removing the software so they are down to a single instance of it again.

the ticket is being escalated to the account lead for him to get in contact with the president of the company to buy the additional licenses.

Not sure why the client, who is a multi-million dollar company, is fighting that one time cost of maybe $600 to get back in line with this software.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Yes, maintenance. That's the number my boss mentioned so who knows how true it is.

Your boss is a poo poo negotiator. Even I know to drop the hyper-v goblin on a vendor/var that price will drop...And I run hyper-v!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

incoherent posted:

Your boss is a poo poo negotiator. Even I know to drop the hyper-v goblin on a vendor/var that price will drop...And I run hyper-v!

We're going to VMWare World at the end of the month and this is his main point he is going to bring up. We also have a Hyper-V seminar the day before, so woo!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TWBalls posted:

I cannot loving /wait/ for July 2015 so we can stop trying to fix people's lovely 2003 servers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket puppy came in....

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The rest of the time he works in a datacenter :3

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket puppy came in....

Imagine the reaction of that puppy if his stream caused an arc. Ka-pow! Zap to the wee-wee!

Edit: I can't stop wondering about the thought process around that picture being taken. "Awww! How cute! Puppy is pissing on my laptop! Let's grab a photo of the event!" Nevermind the dog being allowed on the table in the first place.

I don't get it.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 9, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ConfusedUs posted:

I cannot loving /wait/ for July 2015 so we can stop trying to fix people's lovely 2003 servers.

You say that like there won't be some business critical app that hasn't been updated since 1999 running on 2003 somewhere that will gently caress up royally on 8/1/15.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Agrikk posted:

Imagine the reaction of that puppy if his stream caused an arc. Ka-pow! Zap to the wee-wee!

Edit: I can't stop wondering about the thought process around that picture being taken. "Awww! How cute! Puppy is pissing on my laptop! Let's grab a photo of the event!" Nevermind the dog being allowed on the table in the first place.

I don't get it.

well, it looks like an old sony vaio, so maybe the user put the puppy there on purpose, just to end their (the users) suffering?

never got on with those early vaios - did anyone ever get drivers for the 'unknown soundcard' hardware that was eternally in the win98 hardware list ?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ConfusedUs posted:

HAH... Do you know what the CURRENT deployment footprint of Windows 2000 servers is?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So today I spent ~8 hours on a conference call with a vendor called "Nominum"

Every time someone said the company name, which was every 30 seconds since nobody wanted to call the rep by his real name (even though it was "Bob"), this song popped into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

I spent most of the day listening and giggling to myself like an child while being simultaneously relived that, for once, I wasn't being blamed for poo poo breaking.

Quote of the day, "I'm the architect of this system, I built it myself from the ground up, and I have never seen this happen before."

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...

You should've pointed out that LoL is a game for trashcans, and turned him on to a real game. That's called adding value to the company :smugdog:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

single-mode fiber posted:

You should've pointed out that LoL is a game for trashcans, and turned him on to a real game. That's called adding value to the company :smugdog:

Bonus points if you use the shards of daliya link.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Paladine_PSoT posted:

HAH... Do you know what the CURRENT deployment footprint of Windows 2000 servers is?

When I started at my last job(late 2011), the front end webservers for the website were running windows 2000 with coldfusion 6. And this was the website for one of the larger real estate companies in the pacific northwest(it begins with a W). Thankfully we changed that pretty quick, but it was an eye opener when I logged into them for the first time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

You say that like there won't be some business critical app that hasn't been updated since 1999 running on 2003 somewhere that will gently caress up royally on 8/1/15.

I don't do general purpose IT. I work with a particular app, and we'll phase out support for 2003 when Microsoft does.

Seriously, server 2003 machines are like 70% of our support cases. The vast majority of those have nothing to do with my app, but are related to general system instability.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

An email came in.
"The image server crashed. Imaging is down until further notice."

Last I heard, they weren't quite sure what happened, but the server we use for SCCM had a drive or controller failure. The hard drives were alternately not being detected, not showing up with the right drive letters, or otherwise not functioning properly. I understand it's basically a lost cause. The admins said 'all the hooks are gone' even though the data's still present. And I guess there's no backups, at least to the extent we need them.

They've spent more than a year getting this thing built. Workstation reporting, Endpoint management, update pushing, on-demand software delivery, cross-WAN PXE boot and imaging (complete with joining the domain, installing our standard software package, and driver sets for a couple dozen different models of computers), self-service password recovery. And now it's all toast.
Right in the middle of our big push to finally get XP eradicated from everywhere but the high school (which largely can't be upgraded because their fiber NICs don't have Win7 drivers) and like a third of the way through imaging more than 330 new netbooks for mobile labs.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

We just retired the last 3 we had (that I know of anyway) a few months ago. It's been glorious. Those poo poo-heaps were constantly having issues (though, to be fair, it was more dying hardware causing issues. That and they were running McAfee, so who knows what kind of infection they had going on).

I'm doing my damnedest to get XP outta here soon too. I just wish I had some competent help so I could get it over with quicker.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Lum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedLyae4b2s&t=20s

(NSFW after 1:15 into the video)

Did they make people make new SL accounts, or use their existing ones? I'm imagining a corporate event filled with the default newbie avatar.

Not sure I'd fancy explaining my SL avatar (looks basically the same as my forums avatar, only longer hair) to some corporate suit running a training course, and now I'm remembering some of the goon ones from back in the day.

That video is precisely what I was thinking about and wincing as they described their elaborate virtual training setup. And yes, they used new SL accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pyroclastic posted:

An email came in.
"The image server crashed. Imaging is down until further notice."

Last I heard, they weren't quite sure what happened, but the server we use for SCCM had a drive or controller failure. The hard drives were alternately not being detected, not showing up with the right drive letters, or otherwise not functioning properly. I understand it's basically a lost cause. The admins said 'all the hooks are gone' even though the data's still present. And I guess there's no backups, at least to the extent we need them.

They've spent more than a year getting this thing built. Workstation reporting, Endpoint management, update pushing, on-demand software delivery, cross-WAN PXE boot and imaging (complete with joining the domain, installing our standard software package, and driver sets for a couple dozen different models of computers), self-service password recovery. And now it's all toast.
Right in the middle of our big push to finally get XP eradicated from everywhere but the high school (which largely can't be upgraded because their fiber NICs don't have Win7 drivers) and like a third of the way through imaging more than 330 new netbooks for mobile labs.

I mean, this sounds like it wasn't a virtual server. But that can't be what you're saying. Can it? A non high-performance machine with no real need to be physical would of course be created as a VM in this day and age. Right? Right??

Who am I kidding, one of our clients still isn't convinced that virtualization doesn't create a 50% or greater performance hit on his lovely Business Objects server that is used by a grand total of 25 people, so I can believe that admins who don't have proper backups of their machines also don't know how to use virtualization properly.

Also, a year to build that, even with SCCM's complexity, seems....slow.

• Locked thread