Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

wildfire1 posted:

So Green Flash is pulling out of Australia, along with Bear Republic so no more beers from them. Citing wanting to expand domestic markets?

Instead we get Deschutes for the first time ever - is this a net gain or loss? Don't know much about these guys.

That's a gain. Deschutes flagships are all good and hopefully they'll send reserve series stuff your way. The Abyss is one of my all time favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've never tried any Green Flash because their labels are uninteresting. I'm horrible.

Bear Republic stuff is above average?

Those two for Deschutes is a score.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

I've never tried any Green Flash because their labels are uninteresting. I'm horrible.

You are missing out my friend. Palate Wrecker is a great beer. Double Stout and Le Freak are also pretty good. For the record, I agree about their labels. They just look generic.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Me in Reverse posted:

Silva and Sleepin' with Shaggy are incredibly good, but they're not in regular distribution, and i don't think i've bought any of their non-IPAs more than once. i know plenty of people that love Green Bullet, Palate Wrecker, and West Coast.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Palate Wrecker, Rayon Vert, and West Coast IPA are my GF go to's. Silva is ridiculously good as well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Me in Reverse posted:

Not a big fan of most of their stuff but Rayon Vert is a really excellent year-round brett beer. Not Saison Brett good or anything but it definitely scratches that itch and is pretty cheap (~$10 a 4-pack).

air- posted:

That's a gain. Deschutes flagships are all good and hopefully they'll send reserve series stuff your way. The Abyss is one of my all time favorites.

If they send Abyss to Australia but not Chicago, I'm going to raise ruckus...

Personally, the only Deschutes beers I love are the Black Butte anniversary variations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

danbanana posted:

Not a big fan of most of their stuff but Rayon Vert is a really excellent year-round brett beer. Not Saison Brett good or anything but it definitely scratches that itch and is pretty cheap (~$10 a 4-pack).

This. It's a pretty decent Orval clone without costing near what Orval does. It is crazy carbonated, though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: Whoops wrong thread lol
In other news, thanks to crazyfish for the Founders black IPA. It was pretty decent. I still tend to stand by the "Meh" on Black IPAs, but I did kinda like the balance of malt and hops on that one.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 9, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

air- posted:

Got an 1130 tour at New Belgium on Friday, how about we do lunch after that? I'll pm you my info.

e: I land early tomorrow morning and then I'm going to Boulder to check out Avery, what are the recommended bottle shops there? I'd really like to get the Odell Fernet Porter.

I have no idea in Boulder, but I saw Fernet at Supermarket Liquors in Fort Collins just a few days ago. It's probably also available directly at Odell's. Wilbur's Total Beverage is the other bottle shop I'd recommend in the area.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Deschutes is the tops and that's a fact, Jack. Fans of the company may be surprised to find that as of this weekend, Mirror Pond (which is not really a pond but a reservoir in the middle of the river) doesn't really exist any more due to a dam leak.

I should probably post about my Portland trip sometime but I'm overwhelmed with work.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

danbanana posted:

If they send Abyss to Australia but not Chicago, I'm going to raise ruckus...

Personally, the only Deschutes beers I love are the Black Butte anniversary variations.

Chainbreaker was in pretty heavy rotation at my house this summer.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rapman the Cook posted:

The Little Creatures IPA, a "local" beer, is very nice, and Im glad they have put this on as a regular release beer. Its very sessional like most of their beers, and still very hoppy but always more towards the flowery side than the bitter/pine/etc. Has as good body that Im still working out what to say about - malty like an aussie beer?. It does have a nice hit of grapefruit/pine bitterness. Its more of an initial hit and its decent, it stays very on the front of your tongue and fades quite fast to the back and lingers a little. The worst part, and why i said "local", is this has had awful distro in its home state...very depressing.

I'm in the UK, but you can get Little Creatures here. Fan-loving-tastic beer.

Depressing indeed that it's easily gettable over here in London and not in WA

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BoredByThis posted:

Chainbreaker was in pretty heavy rotation at my house this summer.

I generally really like Deschutes, but Chainbreaker is probably their only offering I actively dislike. I feel it drinks like a spice cabinet. I don't mind spiced IPAs or other styles, but they over do it on Chainbreaker in my opinion.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eejit posted:

I generally really like Deschutes, but Chainbreaker is probably their only offering I actively dislike. I feel it drinks like a spice cabinet. I don't mind spiced IPAs or other styles, but they over do it on Chainbreaker in my opinion.

Disagree, Chainbreaker loving owns. So refreshing.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I dont' think of it as a spiced IPA, I feel it's more in line with a hoppy wit, akin to Gumballhead or Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'(Technically American wheats but, similar idea)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Changed my mind. Went after work, they still had a few cases on the floor, and not everyone there was picking some up.

My friend ended up going to pick up his bottles and he was in line with a guy who bought 0 bottles, but did get 3 growler fills of Willy Vanilly and 2 more growler fills of Raspberry Nectar :psyduck:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BoredByThis posted:

I dont' think of it as a spiced IPA, I feel it's more in line with a hoppy wit, akin to Gumballhead or Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'(Technically American wheats but, similar idea)

Except it's spiced unlike those two you listed. It's kinda gross, but I hate spiced beers in general so...

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

No beer and no healthcare make Homer something something: Government shutdown includes TTB and puts new beer label and brewery approvals in limbo. It's not gonna hurt the big guys (of course :v:), but it's putting a damper on any craft brewery releasing a new beer, and REALLY loving up breweries just opening up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Anyone else win in the latest Upland sour lottery? I'll be getting a kiwi!

edit: If you have gmail, check your spam folder; that's where my winner was.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can one of you guys give me a quick education on Jester King offerings (what's good)?

Working on a trade and have this available:
"Boxer's Revenge, Funk Metal, and I should have access to Wunderkind, Uberkind, Black Metal, Mad Meg, El Cedro, Salt Lick (Censored) and others."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

I've not received an email about it so it looks like I am a loser again. :(

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So my car bit the dust. I'm taking the train from NYC Port Authority into Philly, I assume, to 30th street station. Can I hop a train or bus from there to Tired Hands? Of not, where should I go?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

Looks like I won! :D Thanks for the tip, it was in my spam folder too.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Midorka posted:

So my car bit the dust. I'm taking the train from NYC Port Authority into Philly, I assume, to 30th street station. Can I hop a train or bus from there to Tired Hands? Of not, where should I go?

Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail line, get off at Ardmore. It's ~2 blocks from there.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Me in Reverse posted:

Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail line, get off at Ardmore. It's ~2 blocks from there.

Thanks! I'm estimating I'll be there around 5 if any goons want to meet up.

Edit: I'll be the guy in a white shirt and jeans with a beard sitting with a blonde female. We'll also have a big duffel bag.

Edit: make that more like 7pm

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 9, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'd join you but I'm avoiding Tired Hands until the Halloween dinner on the 29th. They're tapping all the stuff they'll be serving with dinner, and I want to taste them all for the first time then.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
It was just announced Prairie is coming to OH! :woop:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's been a GREAT day so far; 4 bottle limit today but absolutely delicious.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

Can one of you guys give me a quick education on Jester King offerings (what's good)?

Working on a trade and have this available:
"Boxer's Revenge, Funk Metal, and I should have access to Wunderkind, Uberkind, Black Metal, Mad Meg, El Cedro, Salt Lick (Censored) and others."

Not sure what your taste preferences are but I'll go through each: Boxer's (wild ale) and Funk Metal (basically Tart of Darkness but better) are both good sours. I would push for getting RU-55 if possible. Uberkind and Wunderkind are their best year-round saisons and those would be regular purchases for me if they were more available. Black Metal is nothing exciting for an imperial stout and there was also nothing memorable about Mad Meg to me. El Cedro is a saison with a pretty cedar-forward flavor and I wasn't a fan. Salt Lick is this weird smoky lemonade saison thing that I drainpoured.

e: Le Petit Prince is JK's most underrated beer. I've never seen it for more than $6 a bottle and it is so sessionable. Would suggest that as well and it's pretty easy to find.

air- fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 9, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Jester King

Salt Lick is loving horrendous, one of the worst beers i've ever had.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Figures Australia would get Deschutes before Wisconsin would. :(

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

Yeah Salt Lick was among the worst beer I've ever had. A friend bought one and it went down the drain. None of us wanted it.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I've not received an email about it so it looks like I am a loser again. :(

I won, but the message was in my spam folder.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

BTW did you get to pop open Viking Metal yet? When I get cocktails, been going with gin lately so I liked that one. Tough to get more though :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ubik posted:

No beer and no healthcare make Homer something something: Government shutdown includes TTB and puts new beer label and brewery approvals in limbo. It's not gonna hurt the big guys (of course :v:), but it's putting a damper on any craft brewery releasing a new beer, and REALLY loving up breweries just opening up.

If the government isn't able to approve any labels/breweries/whatever then surely they also can't actually do anything about unapproved labels/breweries/whatever just going ahead with their plans? At least until the shutdown is over?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Edit: answered my own question.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

BTW did you get to pop open Viking Metal yet? When I get cocktails, been going with gin lately so I liked that one. Tough to get more though :(

no- brought it a bottle share, but half the people didn't show up, so i saved it for another night. gonna get at that Freetail tomorrow, though!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

Not sure what your taste preferences are but I'll go through each: Boxer's (wild ale) and Funk Metal (basically Tart of Darkness but better) are both good sours. I would push for getting RU-55 if possible. Uberkind and Wunderkind are their best year-round saisons and those would be regular purchases for me if they were more available. Black Metal is nothing exciting for an imperial stout and there was also nothing memorable about Mad Meg to me. El Cedro is a saison with a pretty cedar-forward flavor and I wasn't a fan. Salt Lick is this weird smoky lemonade saison thing that I drainpoured.

e: Le Petit Prince is JK's most underrated beer. I've never seen it for more than $6 a bottle and it is so sessionable. Would suggest that as well and it's pretty easy to find.

I actually am sitting on a bottle of Le Petit Prince I found here in Philly, so yay to that.

Thanks for the quickie reviews on the other stuff -- I'm gonna grab Boxer's and Funk Metal, Uber and wunder, and maybe El Cedro because it sounds odd and interesting.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 9, 2013

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Friends and I fly out of Denver tomorrow at 4, so we were thinking about driving back up to Crooked Stave tomorrow morning for the 11 am L'Brett d'Or release. Will it be crazy crowded, or will getting there by 10:30 or so be OK?

Also if anyone else is gonna be there and wants extras, I'm pretty sure we don't have room in our luggage for 6 bottles each since I've already bought some other bottles to take home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Retemnav posted:

Friends and I fly out of Denver tomorrow at 4, so we were thinking about driving back up to Crooked Stave tomorrow morning for the 11 am L'Brett d'Or release. Will it be crazy crowded, or will getting there by 10:30 or so be OK?

Also if anyone else is gonna be there and wants extras, I'm pretty sure we don't have room in our luggage for 6 bottles each since I've already bought some other bottles to take home.

It's going to be crowded. GABF crowds in full effect everywhere near downtown.