Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Midniter posted:

Every couple weeks I make a large batch of simple tomato sauce. My recipe is as follows:

106 oz can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
Two large onions, peeled and halved
Around 24 cloves of garlic
Fish sauce
Anchovies

For the purpose of health I do not add any fat in the way of olive oil. I used to, then I tried it without, and the flavor difference was so minor it didn't make sense to continue adding it.

I combine ingredients in a large pot and simmer it for 45 minutes. I then use my stick blender and blend the hell out of it so it's nice and smooth. It's a very tasty sauce, but I was eating it over pasta for lunch yesterday and realized it could use something...maybe more acid? Spices? I'm just looking for some suggestions to punch it up a bit as I've been making it this way for a long time and I'm starting to tire of it a little bit. I make a big bunch of pasta with chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms and that's what I bring for lunch every day to work so it'd be nice to have a little variation now and again.
I mean you're about halfway to a puttanesca. Drop the onion and try adding capers, parsley, red pepper flakes and olives (though I like it without the olives too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I was going to say olives or capers, but personally I've only used capers on white sauces, on fish, so I deleted that, and said kalamata olives (the best kind), instead of "olives or capers?"

Other things:
Simmer with a bay leaf or two?
Some sauces go well with a bit of aniseed flavour, so try either a star anise pod or some fennel seeds. e: a little goes a long way, but should work with the anchovies and the fish sauce you are already using anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 9, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Midniter posted:

Every couple weeks I make a large batch of simple tomato sauce. My recipe is as follows:

106 oz can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
Two large onions, peeled and halved
Around 24 cloves of garlic
Fish sauce
Anchovies

For the purpose of health I do not add any fat in the way of olive oil. I used to, then I tried it without, and the flavor difference was so minor it didn't make sense to continue adding it.

I combine ingredients in a large pot and simmer it for 45 minutes. I then use my stick blender and blend the hell out of it so it's nice and smooth. It's a very tasty sauce, but I was eating it over pasta for lunch yesterday and realized it could use something...maybe more acid? Spices? I'm just looking for some suggestions to punch it up a bit as I've been making it this way for a long time and I'm starting to tire of it a little bit. I make a big bunch of pasta with chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms and that's what I bring for lunch every day to work so it'd be nice to have a little variation now and again.

Crushed red pepper flakes
Basil
Oregano
Ground beef/pork/veal
Sausages

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

plaguedoctor posted:

From a few pages back, but:
I'm not sure about onions, but don't store garlic in the fridge.
Cold actually *activates* the growth mechanism in garlic, and by storing it in the refigerator, you are causing it to start it's budding cycle. Seriously -- you are supposed to plant garlic just before the first frost, and then it grows underground until spring, at which point it then sprouts up through the ground. I highly recommend it for garlic scapes, though.

I recently gave up on keeping garlic bulbs around and just buy fresh pre-peeled stuff from H-mart...it's about $1.50 for about 50-100 cloves of garlic and it seems to stay fine for weeks for me.

I made some stock last night from some chicken thighs and wing tips in my pressure cooker but I thought I should try making some more tonight. I was thinking of making a asian style stock...any recommendations of what aromatics or a recipe I should use?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I just got a bunch of apples from a local orchard, and I thought it would be fun to do apple pie a la mode, but with some sort of apple-based confection replacing the ice cream. I may also do mini-pies in a muffin tin instead of one big pie. Anybody have a suggestion for the thing in the ice-cream role? I assume one could make apple-flavored ice cream, but I don't personally have an ice cream maker.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BraveUlysses posted:

I recently gave up on keeping garlic bulbs around and just buy fresh pre-peeled stuff from H-mart...it's about $1.50 for about 50-100 cloves of garlic and it seems to stay fine for weeks for me.

I made some stock last night from some chicken thighs and wing tips in my pressure cooker but I thought I should try making some more tonight. I was thinking of making a asian style stock...any recommendations of what aromatics or a recipe I should use?

I make stock for chao ga all the time and I use garlic, whole black peppercorns and ginger - say around 5 sliced garlics, 4 inches of ginger sliced, 25 peppercorns into 2 litres of water plus the chicken. I salt it up with fish sauce at the end.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I have a goofy food storage/safety question. I chopped up a bunch of zucchini into chunks this morning with the intention of freezing them for soup, but I forgot to throw the sheet pan into the freezer on my way out. :doh: Will these be okay sitting out, cut-exposed, in a room all day? I mean, it's not a meat or anything, so I figured it would be okay. If anything, I guess they might get pruney and dehydrated? Just wondering if I'm risking anything, especially if I'm going to be freezing them for later use when I get home.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Yes, it will be fine, the cut sides just might be a bit dry so use that to determine whether you want to keep it or not.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BraveUlysses posted:

I got one of these since it was so cheap from my local grocer recently. It seemed like it was fine for a week or so then I could tell that the potency of garlic flavor definitely dropped off. YMMV.

Five Spice posted:

I have a goofy food storage/safety question. I chopped up a bunch of zucchini into chunks this morning with the intention of freezing them for soup, but I forgot to throw the sheet pan into the freezer on my way out. :doh: Will these be okay sitting out, cut-exposed, in a room all day? I mean, it's not a meat or anything, so I figured it would be okay. If anything, I guess they might get pruney and dehydrated? Just wondering if I'm risking anything, especially if I'm going to be freezing them for later use when I get home.

You'll be fine, especially if its just for soup.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

What's some cool stuff I can do with a blowtorch, besides brûléeing everything?

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
Thank you both. Just wanted to assuage my fears! I feel silly, because when it comes to proteins, I am fearless, pulling chicken breast and pork loin well before the USDA recommended temperatures, and yet here I am, confounded by the safety of sliced zucchini left out all day. :downs:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Declan MacManus posted:

Smores

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

melt cheese on things without further cooking the thing underneath. set the egg albumen for perfect sunny side ups (apparently this is a thing that I introduced to a lot of people here, but yeah, its super awesome). Sear puddled things. Char the outside of things like peppers, tomatoes, onions, tomatillos. Begin the rendering of fat for slow roasted things (see Thomas Keller's blow torch prime rib).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Please tell me more about this egg torching

Pookah posted:

I make stock for chao ga all the time and I use garlic, whole black peppercorns and ginger - say around 5 sliced garlics, 4 inches of ginger sliced, 25 peppercorns into 2 litres of water plus the chicken. I salt it up with fish sauce at the end.

Sounds good! Have you tried lemongrass in stock?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
On that subject, do those little pen torches that run on butane have any place in the kitchen? I also have a welding torch that runs on MAPP Pro/O2, but I'm wary of using it for food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

On that subject, do those little pen torches that run on butane have any place in the kitchen? I also have a welding torch that runs on MAPP Pro/O2, but I'm wary of using it for food.

Mapp Pro is the way to go. The little torches are for people who don't know nay better.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Please tell me more about this egg torching

Crack an egg into a hot skillet with some butter or other fat of choice. Use torch to set white.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Crack an egg into a hot skillet with some butter or other fat of choice. Use torch to set white.

You can also use a broiler or put a lid on the skillet to set the white. Is the blowtorch better for the job? How is it different?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Baking goons, I'm working on a dessert for the restaurant that I work at, though I'm not an experienced baker. The basic idea is a white chocolate yellow cake with a wasabi cream cheese icing. I would like to make a sesame seed crust for the cake, but don't know the best way to go about it. Should I use a graham cracker crust recipe, substituting sesame seeds instead of cracker crumbs? Would that even work for a yellow cake? Is there a way to leave the sesame seeds whole or would I have to grind them up?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You can also use a broiler or put a lid on the skillet to set the white. Is the blowtorch better for the job? How is it different?

broiler hits the whole top so the yolk gets cooked, too, it also requires preheating the broiler, etc. torch is ready to go with the press of a button and is more accurate to avoid the yolk. Same problems with a lid.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 9, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

plaguedoctor posted:

Question time:
It's October and I want to make some pumpkin stuff. I don't have access to canned Libby's pumpkin puree, so how do I go about making my own?
Specifically, what exactly is a "baking pumpkin"? And how is that different from squash?

I think where I'm from, a "baking" pumpkin is just referred to as a "pie" pumpkin. IIRC the basic difference is size and the "Meat" to air ratio might be better on these pumpkins, rather than a carving pumpkin.

To make pumpkin that you can use in recipes from fresh, halve the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds and strings (Save the seeds for roasting later). Place halves cut side down in a baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water and roast in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes and checking every 10 or so after that depending on the size. Check with a fork for tenderness. You want them cooked, but not necessarily mushy. Scoop out the flesh from the skin and toss in a food processor to puree.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Baking goons, I'm working on a dessert for the restaurant that I work at, though I'm not an experienced baker. The basic idea is a white chocolate yellow cake with a wasabi cream cheese icing. I would like to make a sesame seed crust for the cake, but don't know the best way to go about it. Should I use a graham cracker crust recipe, substituting sesame seeds instead of cracker crumbs? Would that even work for a yellow cake? Is there a way to leave the sesame seeds whole or would I have to grind them up?

I think that this could be pretty tasty, but I'm a little confused by your use of the word 'crust' for a cake. Do you mean a coating of sesame seeds to make up the outer layer of the cake? Like a texture topping on top of the frosting? Or do you mean that the seeds would be a bottom crust on your cake almost like a pie crust?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Baking/pie pumpkins are also sweeter.

I tried making a dish with a carving pumpkin and it was kind of bland and woody tasting.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's the best recipe for loaded potato soup? I know it's basically just potatoes, cream, broth (maybe?), salt & pepper, mixed together and topped with whatever toppings you'd like, but do I bake the potatoes? Or boil? There seems to be a million ways to make such a simple soup.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lullabee posted:

What's the best recipe for loaded potato soup? I know it's basically just potatoes, cream, broth (maybe?), salt & pepper, mixed together and topped with whatever toppings you'd like, but do I bake the potatoes? Or boil? There seems to be a million ways to make such a simple soup.
My basic approach to potato soup, either by itself or as a base for other things, is to sauté some chopped leek in a bunch of butter until they start to go translucent, add stock, add sliced potatoes and bring to a simmer, simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, hit with a stick blender to smooth, then if that's the whole thing adjust with salt, add the cream, whatever the gently caress.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Add beer to the soup. Beer and cheese makes tater soup so much better.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Steve Yun posted:

Baking/pie pumpkins are also sweeter.

I tried making a dish with a carving pumpkin and it was kind of bland and woody tasting.

I made the opposite mistake once and tried to carve a Jack o'lantern out of a cooking pumpkin, and broke one of our little pumpkin knives. Ended up using an apple corer to make it a polka dot Jack o'lantern. The walls were super thick.

I steamed a nice red baking pumpkin (a Rouge Vif d'Etampe hybrid of some kind, my local pumpkin patch just kind of scatters all the cooking pumpkin seeds together and sometimes you get weird hybrids) yesterday and it had such a nice, sweet flavor that I could just eat it with a spoon, no seasoning or sweetening required. So tasty. I used half of it to make tasty beverages (trying to imitate the pumpkin juice they sell in the Wizarding World at Universal because I'm a dork) and still had about six cups left.

That's the other thing about cooking pumpkins, they yield a LOT of purée in a relatively small pumpkin. CzarChasm is right about the meat to air ratio, the stringy bits and seeds were practically nothing.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

ejstheman posted:

I just got a bunch of apples from a local orchard, and I thought it would be fun to do apple pie a la mode, but with some sort of apple-based confection replacing the ice cream. I may also do mini-pies in a muffin tin instead of one big pie. Anybody have a suggestion for the thing in the ice-cream role? I assume one could make apple-flavored ice cream, but I don't personally have an ice cream maker.

You could replace the ice cream with an apple pudding, mousse, or Bavarian. Peel and core some apples, cook them with a bit of sugar and butter until they're soft enough to mash into a puree. Use that to flavor your cream base. Maybe add some sautéd diced apple at the end.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I recently came into a decent supply of prickly pear cactus fruit, and am looking for ideas for it besides jams/jellies. Right now, I am thinking Peach Melba with prickly pear sauce instead of raspberry. Any other ideas?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Prickly Pear Mead. There is a recipe in the back of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing that someone in the homebrew thread should be able to post for you. I would, but I'm not home. Or try googling for Charlie Papizian and prickly pear mead.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doom Rooster posted:

I recently came into a decent supply of prickly pear cactus fruit, and am looking for ideas for it besides jams/jellies. Right now, I am thinking Peach Melba with prickly pear sauce instead of raspberry. Any other ideas?

You should candy it. I know you said stuff other than jams and jellies, but this isn't quite a jam or jelly. Make up a really thick syrup – 3 parts sugar to 1 part water at least. Bring it to a boil with the prickly pears in there, and then let it simmer for like 3 hours. Let it cool and sit over night (on the counter is fine – the sugar is a preservative after all), and then repeat. Do it for like 3 days, until the prickly pears are tender but not off-colored. Drain them well and then eat! Don't chew the seeds, just eat them whole.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My grandma made the awesomest prickly pear candy. Do that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pork chops relabelled with steak names started showing up at supermarkets. Is there really a difference between a pork loin top loin chop and a pork loin sirloin chop?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I think that this could be pretty tasty, but I'm a little confused by your use of the word 'crust' for a cake. Do you mean a coating of sesame seeds to make up the outer layer of the cake? Like a texture topping on top of the frosting? Or do you mean that the seeds would be a bottom crust on your cake almost like a pie crust?

The last one, I would like the seeds to act like a pie crust, but on a yellow cake instead of a pie.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BraveUlysses posted:

Sounds good! Have you tried lemongrass in stock?

Not so far, but I've seen plenty of recipes that use it which sound really good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FishBowlRobot posted:

The last one, I would like the seeds to act like a pie crust, but on a yellow cake instead of a pie.
Do you want the crust to be tender and flaky like a regular pie crust, a little more like a graham cracker crust, or do you want something that has some tooth and a little different flavor? Personally speaking, I'd prefer the latter.

The other part is, that a crust and the cake itself will probably cook at different rates, and if it were just sesame seeds and some binder it would probably burn before the cake was done.

I don't know how well it will work but you can try the following:

You can dry toast the seeds in a pan on the stove top, to just get a little color color on them and maybe just a little drying. You can't make a crust out of them the same way you would graham crackers because they aren't dry enough to absorb the butter and make a crust out of.

What you might be able to do is to take a small amount of your cake batter, like maybe a 1/4 cup or so, and mix in the sesame seeds to that. Put that in the bottom of your pan and spread to an even layer and then pour your normal batter on top of that.

Might be a good idea to test this small first with cupcake tins and small variations in recipe

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

FishBowlRobot posted:

I think the sesame seeds are going to cook at a different rate than the cake, so maybe making two pieces will work better.

Maybe you can make a sesame candy wafer as wide as your cake, put the cake on top, then frost it. If the candy is still cooling and sticky, it should probably hold together when slicing. Otherwise, using some frosting as a glue may help.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

I'm thinking of Halva (without pistachios) when I hear sesame seed and crust. The one time I had it, it was slightly chewy, dense and rich but not too sweet. I think it might give an interesting contrast to the cake, but it might fail disastrously when you bake it. The oil might separate or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to be doing some travelling in the US next year and want to visit a couple of Michelin starred restaurants while I'm there since I've never been to one. Momofuku Ko looks great at $125 per head for food and I'm looking for that $100-200 price range ideally for food per head with maybe another $100 on drinks split between me and a friend at the higher end. Cheaper would be better wherever possible. What do people recommend? I think we can afford to eat at around 3 places without it being an issue. Where they're located is less of an issue since the plan is to spend 3 months or so (what a visa will let us) to travel as many places as possible.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Well, the ONLY Michelin starred restaurants in the US are in NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Napa Valley, CA. So you don't actually have a ton of traveling to hit any in particular, and the places they are located are probably places you'd see in a 3-month US tour anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to be doing some travelling in the US next year and want to visit a couple of Michelin starred restaurants while I'm there since I've never been to one. Momofuku Ko looks great at $125 per head for food and I'm looking for that $100-200 price range ideally for food per head with maybe another $100 on drinks split between me and a friend at the higher end. Cheaper would be better wherever possible. What do people recommend? I think we can afford to eat at around 3 places without it being an issue. Where they're located is less of an issue since the plan is to spend 3 months or so (what a visa will let us) to travel as many places as possible.

I would le bernardin before MomoKo, personally, esp if you want the full michelin star experience. French Laundry in Yountville, of course, but that is on the other side of the country. Marea, Spotted Pig, Breslin, Minetta, Eleven, and Babbo in NYC are all really really good.