Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Powercrazy posted:

Fine make it a turtle shell then, I still haven't found one of those.

Really? I've been throwing the things in the trash slot whenever I need space because I don't have any use for the dozens of them I got while adventuring for my chlorophyte or killing a billion planteras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What is special about "living wood" blocks? They appear to basically just be the same thing as normal wood harvested normally.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Well, trip report so far in Hard Mode. Destroyer was pretty easy with my Mushroom Spear, especially once I got some better armor. The Twins completely ripped me apart the couple of times they spawned at night. Only seen one Eclipse and I was deep underground at the time, so no idea what that entailed since it didn't seem to change anything down there.

Killed the ice golem miniboss during a blizzard probably a dozen times trying to get a complete set of Frost Armor. Had six legs and five chestplates before a helmet dropped. Got two pirate maps while trying to get a diving helmet during a blood moon, but haven't used them.

While gathering chlorophyte to make some Turtle/Chloro armor, I managed to get a Jungle Key. Made a new world to find the box there and get the Piranha Gun, because screw trying that while the dungeon's in Hard Mode. Used the Piranha Gun to chew Plantera's face off, entered the Temple, found out I had gotten that bug where the Altar doesn't spawn, so no Golem for me.

Used the Piranha Gun to kill the Twins; spent most of the fight just flying in circles avoiding fire and lasers. Easy but boring. That's basically what Plantera was like too; didn't try to take it up to the surface.

All in all, I think I like the pre-Hard-Mode gameplay more. I definitely like exploring more than just pure combat. I wish I could, upon killing the Wall of Flesh, drop my base and all my NPCs into a new world where I don't know where anything is and I have to investigate and explore all over again.

I think I'm just going to make a new character and world and just take it slow, build more decorative buildings and whatnot. The Hard Mode stuff just feels like throwing myself at a wall sometimes, hard to tell if you're really making progress at points.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

What is special about "living wood" blocks? They appear to basically just be the same thing as normal wood harvested normally.

They look nicer, mainly. They break into normal Wood, but if you find a Living Wood Wand in a Living Wood Chest you can use it to consume wood and place down Living Wood blocks.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Geomancing posted:

Well, trip report so far in Hard Mode. Destroyer was pretty easy with my Mushroom Spear, especially once I got some better armor. The Twins completely ripped me apart the couple of times they spawned at night. Only seen one Eclipse and I was deep underground at the time, so no idea what that entailed since it didn't seem to change anything down there.

Killed the ice golem miniboss during a blizzard probably a dozen times trying to get a complete set of Frost Armor. Had six legs and five chestplates before a helmet dropped. Got two pirate maps while trying to get a diving helmet during a blood moon, but haven't used them.

While gathering chlorophyte to make some Turtle/Chloro armor, I managed to get a Jungle Key. Made a new world to find the box there and get the Piranha Gun, because screw trying that while the dungeon's in Hard Mode. Used the Piranha Gun to chew Plantera's face off, entered the Temple, found out I had gotten that bug where the Altar doesn't spawn, so no Golem for me.

Used the Piranha Gun to kill the Twins; spent most of the fight just flying in circles avoiding fire and lasers. Easy but boring. That's basically what Plantera was like too; didn't try to take it up to the surface.

All in all, I think I like the pre-Hard-Mode gameplay more. I definitely like exploring more than just pure combat. I wish I could, upon killing the Wall of Flesh, drop my base and all my NPCs into a new world where I don't know where anything is and I have to investigate and explore all over again.

I think I'm just going to make a new character and world and just take it slow, build more decorative buildings and whatnot. The Hard Mode stuff just feels like throwing myself at a wall sometimes, hard to tell if you're really making progress at points.

You could probably just generate a new world, build at least the minimal requirements for the NPCs to live in, and enable them all in T-Edit before you get to exploring the place.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there a way to force my world to have an Eclipse?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Dareon posted:

They look nicer, mainly. They break into normal Wood, but if you find a Living Wood Wand in a Living Wood Chest you can use it to consume wood and place down Living Wood blocks.

The wiki says they are a more "explosive resistant" type of wood, whatever that means. I think I remember reading in the thread that living wood doesn't get corrupted/crimsoned like regular wood, can anyone confirm that? If that's the case, then I'm going to start rebuilding my 8 room treehouse to be living wood instead of regular.

Also, anyone know if you can craft living wood doors/tables/chairs etc like you can find under the giant tree?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Got me a nice shiny new Picksaw. Smashed into a temple with it, made off with the altar and a bunch of walls.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Blackheart posted:

Is white the only color you can paint stone bricks? The other paints are consumed but the bricks don't actually change color.

Are you using the right painting tool? One of them only works on backwall, the other works on actual blocks. I did the same thing.

e on spectre armor: It really was too powerful. I always play games that have the option of co-op with a buddy of mine and he was a mage this game. Up until we got spectre armor we were relatively close in power; I was melee and while my options to attack were more limited I was significantly more durable than him, and during boss fights (up to and including plantera) we'd both die once or twice. After spectre armor, with nothing else about our gear or weaponry changing, we went from "fights take effort and buff potions and a lot of movement to dodge and maybe a death or two" to "sit still and have (buddy) piss on the boss/fire magnet orb" and I felt completely superfluous - I was wearing turtle armor, so I could have done literally nothing beyond letting the boss sit on top of me and we still would've killed them. It was that powerful.

I think the nerf was justified. I would have also accepted "Spectre armor's heal effect only affects the wearer" but halving the effect and reducing the defense is also acceptable.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

President Ark posted:

I'd think reforging all your accessories to have +3-5 defense on them would give you better results as a mage since you'd still have your set bonus.

e: Also: Find heart statues and wire them up to timers around where you're planning to fight bosses! Those free hearts add up.

The set bonuses for (non-spectre) hardmode-tier wizard armors are really bad. All they do is reduce mana usage, and mana consumption is meaningless since you can buy unlimited greater mana potions from the wizard. All you're really losing from wearing the melee helmet instead of the mage hat is the innate bonuses from the mage hat itself, which are all increases to damage and/or crit chance. The melee helmet set bonus on the other hand, includes a buff to movement speed, which is still very useful for a mage build. Essentially wearing the melee helmet instead of mage gives you at least 20 more defense and a bunch of movement speed, in exchange for some damage or crit chance. Mages can buff their damage with potions and the crystal ball, so I think the increased defense is a fair trade.

I know heart statues are really useful, but I've never ever found even one, in the four or five worlds I've played since heart statues were introduced.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

President Ark posted:

Are you using the right painting tool? One of them only works on backwall, the other works on actual blocks. I did the same thing.

Yeah I was using the tools correctly, and had no trouble with wood. When I went on to my stone bricks I had no problems with white, then I tried to paint them teal, and I could see the splotches (and the paint was consumed) but they wouldn't change color. To top it off the wiki says gray brick blocks can't be painted, which doesn't explain why white worked on mine.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I don't know, I would've liked it if the nerfs to Spectre Armor and the Vampire knives also came with mechanical changes to make it more possible for a skillful player to solo bosses. Now we don't have stupid overpowered lifesteal, but movement is still awkward and slow, making dodging a pain in the rear end. Red just needs to get rid of left/right acceleration already.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Yeah I was using the tools correctly, and had no trouble with wood. When I went on to my stone bricks I had no problems with white, then I tried to paint them teal, and I could see the splotches (and the paint was consumed) but they wouldn't change color. To top it off the wiki says gray brick blocks can't be painted, which doesn't explain why white worked on mine.

Maybe try using the scraper to remove the white paint and then try to paint them another colour?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know, I would've liked it if the nerfs to Spectre Armor and the Vampire knives also came with mechanical changes to make it more possible for a skillful player to solo bosses. Now we don't have stupid overpowered lifesteal, but movement is still awkward and slow, making dodging a pain in the rear end. Red just needs to get rid of left/right acceleration already.

Dodge vertically, not horizontally. Wings + Featherfall potion (hold down to fall at regular pace) helps greatly.

And if you grapple onto a flat surface and release the grapple before the grapple fully pulls you to it while also holding the direction the grapple is pulling you, you'll be running at full speed (hermes boots/spectre boots speed if you have them) immediately.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

The set bonuses for (non-spectre) hardmode-tier wizard armors are really bad.

Yeah. The way I saw it, Spectre was the pay off for not really having any good caster armor through out the whole game. It simply just needed to be harder to craft than just gathering ectoplasm, which is entirely doable as soon as you jump in to hardmode if you don't care about dying frequently. If it were equally a pain in the rear end to make as Turtle or Shroomite, and people still complained about it, then the choice should be to make Turtle and Shroomite better than they are before adjusting Spectre.

But then again, Redigit also nerfed using Turtle Armor to kill the Dungeon Guardian for the Bone Key easily by making the Guardian do a fraction of the overkill damage he used to do. With inventory editors around, stomping out this kind of stuff is silly. Especially so when the reward is only a passive pet.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The only real dick towers are ones made from mushroom blocks because mushrooms are fungus genitalia. A dick tower made from dicks.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Guys soloing the hard mode bosses isn't really that hard. Back in 1.1 I played a mage and I could practically solo all three of the hard mode dudes with my eyes closed, and now in 1.2 they have even MORE options for making GBS threads on everything. You just need to use the buff potions, they're there for a reason.

Also the other magic armors increase the critical strike chance so I'm not sure why people think that's a bad thing because the makes a huge difference in your damage output.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Skaw posted:

Yeah. The way I saw it, Spectre was the pay off for not really having any good caster armor through out the whole game. It simply just needed to be harder to craft than just gathering ectoplasm, which is entirely doable as soon as you jump in to hardmode if you don't care about dying frequently. If it were equally a pain in the rear end to make as Turtle or Shroomite, and people still complained about it, then the choice should be to make Turtle and Shroomite better than they are before adjusting Spectre.

But then again, Redigit also nerfed using Turtle Armor to kill the Dungeon Guardian for the Bone Key easily by making the Guardian do a fraction of the overkill damage he used to do. With inventory editors around, stomping out this kind of stuff is silly. Especially so when the reward is only a passive pet.

There's good caster armor starting with Meteor Armor, which is really early and gives you infinite use of a really good weapon up to the beginning of hard mode.

It was quite possible to solo every boss in 1.1 without abusing poo poo like the Hellstone glitch. The level of prep work you had to do re: arena building and potion buffing and the weapons you could choose from were based on your skill at avoiding damage, but it was very possible. I know because me and my friends have soloed each of the original hardmode bosses multiple times. It's not going to be impossible now.

It's not even particularly difficult to kill the Twins or the Destroyer; if you're totally hopeless about killing the Twins, for example, get a ranged weapon or a spell, build an incredibly long wooden platform skybridge, get them to chase you, and run along it shooting backwards and jumping at full speed like you're fighting the Wall of Flesh. Totally trivial if you do it that way, for example. There's always a way to succeed beyond "face tank with infinite lifesteal", the game isn't that poorly balanced.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Where are you guys seeing a nerf to the healing on spectre armor? I'm reading through these notes and all I can see is that they lowered the defense rating.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vatek posted:

Where are you guys seeing a nerf to the healing on spectre armor? I'm reading through these notes and all I can see is that they lowered the defense rating.

There was definitely a note in there about the healing bonus on it being halved (from 10% to 5%) but it's gone now, which is making me think either the notes are fake, Red's still working on them, or someone's screwing around with it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wish there was a warning on blood moons/eclipses like the one you get for goblin invasions. I have a lava-lined tower for waiting out all of those events, but it's not very helpful when a spectre appears immediately after the announcement and eviscerates the nurse. Even with a teleporter pad I can never get to my tower quick enough to stop at least one NPC from dying.

Also it seems you can only paint wood and maybe grass? I don't know why you can't paint grey bricks, they seem an obvious candidate.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

I wish there was a warning on blood moons/eclipses like the one you get for goblin invasions. I have a lava-lined tower for waiting out all of those events, but it's not very helpful when a spectre appears immediately after the announcement and eviscerates the nurse. Even with a teleporter pad I can never get to my tower quick enough to stop at least one NPC from dying.

Also it seems you can only paint wood and maybe grass? I don't know why you can't paint grey bricks, they seem an obvious candidate.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a magic mirror.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have several, but those take me to my bed in spawn, where all my villagers and crafting stations are.

I guess I could move my bed there and take the teleporter back, but still. A few minutes warning would be a nice quality-of-life change.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Regarding paints: For some reason, in order to paint the gray brick walls with colors, you have to combine them via the Dye Vat from the dye vendor to make the "Deep" version of the color. It's a 2:1 ratio.

For example, two buckets of Sky Blue paint will combine to one bucket of Deep Sky Blue paint, which will work on background gray walls. Not sure why this is, maybe to differentiate between foreground and background colors.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Grillburg posted:

For example, two buckets of Sky Blue paint will combine to one bucket of Deep Sky Blue paint, which will work on background gray walls. Not sure why this is, maybe to differentiate between foreground and background colors.

Much like the different dyes, normal paint and deep paint affect different color palettes. You have to try different kinds and see what works; for example just about nothing except "X and silver" dyes will have any significant impact on Spectre armor.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

I have several, but those take me to my bed in spawn, where all my villagers and crafting stations are.

I guess I could move my bed there and take the teleporter back, but still. A few minutes warning would be a nice quality-of-life change.

I don't think you get the point of blood moons. There's a reason zombies can break through doors on a blood moon, and a reason npcs respawn so fast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Much like the different dyes, normal paint and deep paint affect different color palettes. You have to try different kinds and see what works; for example just about nothing except "X and silver" dyes will have any significant impact on Spectre armor.
Black and Flame dye works on it!

I mean, it just makes it darker, but hey.

(I also wish there was a way to turn off the transparency on it, it looks kinda neat.)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
number of dinosaur amber: three.
Jungle keys: three.
Corruption keys: two.
shoe spikes: ZERO.

I've gone through twenty or so worlds now looking for them and nothing!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So you guys were right, Skeletron wasn't poo poo. And then I punched into the dungeon and got a Aqua Scepter and Water Bolt! Goddamn they're so much fun to play with. :neckbeard: Running around in robes spraying monsters with a magical hose is too drat fun.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

Seeing things like this here or in Minecraft always deflate me. I'll never have design sense that good. Wonder if there are any good build-tip videos out there. Some tricks to making neat-looking things. Especially neat-looking things that also take care of all the NPCs so I don't have to build them their own shoddy huts.

Shoddy huts is a good way to start, actually. Either build or hollow out a space big enough for an NPC to live in, maybe 1.5 or 2x the minimum size so you've got a little room to work with, and theme it appropriately. Don't theme it for the NPC, just make it a thematically consistent room. Design is way less intimidating when you've only got a little space to worry about, and it's easier to play around with as well. It makes it easy to get a feel for what sizes work for what paintings, interesting ways of combining objects, things like that. Once you've got a few little dioramas that you like to look at it'll become easier to see how to expand them and maybe stitch them together into something that makes sense.

As for making neat things, it's worth experimenting. Especially with the higher-end blocks there are often a lot of variations so if you care about fine detail keeping a copper pick for cycling them through their various potential states is really useful. Example: Bone blocks and dungeon brick have a lot of "face" options that you can cycle through to get 'em looking in the right direction. Rope is also super-handy because it'll line up with the transition point between wall tiles and can be used to indicate an edge or seam - a bone wall "frame" around a painting with rope on each side hanging down to an outward-facing bone block skull on each lower corner of the bone wall with a lantern harvested from the dungeon hanging from each is especially badass looking with the bigger paintings. If you're going for a non-castle-y roof platforms are good for adding character, since you can hit them once with a hammer to make them lie flat against whatever block they're on top of. Different lighting works better with different walls and blocks as well so keeping colored torches on-hand to see what most suits is useful, too. Don't be afraid to use material blocks where it makes sense, also - cobwebs in low-traffic corners can add a lot to a room, and even raw meteorite can have its uses (as long as you don't use too much!)

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

So anyone know what that block in the picture is?

It just kinda appeared while I was playing multiplayer and pushed the lower floor of the house one tile to the right.
Now it just stays there and nothing I have can break it. It's not really ruining anything but it's kind of an eyesore.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That looks like an Emerald to me. Not sure why it'd randomly appear though.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I really like building stuff in this game but am pretty bad at it and have absolutely no artistic talent. Meanwhile my co-op buddy is an actual artist but just can't be bothered to do anything with our house to improve on the piece of poo poo I made. :saddowns:

Wikiman posted:

So anyone know what that block in the picture is?

It just kinda appeared while I was playing multiplayer and pushed the lower floor of the house one tile to the right.
Now it just stays there and nothing I have can break it. It's not really ruining anything but it's kind of an eyesore.

Looks like it might be chlorophyte, but I have no idea why it would have just appeared there. If it is you need one of the endgame picks to break it, unfortunately.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Speaking of chlorophyte, why can't it be mined by a chlorophyte drill/pick? If you need a better tool to mine the stuff in the first place, what's the point of being able to make a pick out of it?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Walrus Pete posted:

Speaking of chlorophyte, why can't it be mined by a chlorophyte drill/pick? If you need a better tool to mine the stuff in the first place, what's the point of being able to make a pick out of it?

That was a bug, at least it was in the upcoming patch notes.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

Looks like it might be chlorophyte, but I have no idea why it would have just appeared there. If it is you need one of the endgame picks to break it, unfortunately.

That's super weird since I haven't even done the normal mode dungeon yet in this world. Oh well. It's nice knowing that it's something breakable and not a glitch or anything at least. Thanks.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Cicadalek posted:

but it's not very helpful when a spectre appears immediately after the announcement and eviscerates the nurse.
Don't have your nurse on the ground floor. :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Wikiman posted:

That's super weird since I haven't even done the normal mode dungeon yet in this world. Oh well. It's nice knowing that it's something breakable and not a glitch or anything at least. Thanks.

You can make sure if it's an ore by opening your map (M by default) and zooming in and mousing over the block in question. If it's an ore, and it was illuminated at least once, sort of, then it will tell you what ore that is. This makes the Clentaminator so handy on so many levels.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's the easiest way to find Floating Islands? Gravitation potions? How many would I need to explore all of a small world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You probably won't need more than three gravitation potions to find all flying islands on a small world. Two is probably enough if you keep moving once you find one and go back to loot it later. Ropes are the easiest way to get up to an island you already know about once your potion's worn off.

• Locked thread