Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thedouche posted:

*Probably not good for the brand for Mario to do blow and kill hookers, but sticking a Mario Kart into a Nascar game, having Mario as a hidden character in Rayman (in the Rayman style)

There's an unlockable Mario outfit for Rayman and a Luigi one for Globox in Rayman Legends :ssh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo already tried that crap with a bunch of EA sports games for Gamecube, I don't think it really made much of a difference.

EDIt: oh, and who could forget Mario DDR!?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Omg Dixie was so cute in this one! The game looks fantastic and I'm sure the soundtrack will be typically amazing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Man, looking at the Hyrule Historia artwork is really nice on a HD TV, I like it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo already tried that crap with a bunch of EA sports games for Gamecube, I don't think it really made much of a difference.

EDIt: oh, and who could forget Mario DDR!?
Lest we forget:

Still on sale for $10 at Target! (aka yeah it didn't make much difference :()

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

japtor posted:

Lest we forget:

Still on sale for $10 at Target! (aka yeah it didn't make much difference :()

poo poo, I was just at Target today too. I didn't bother looking when I saw full price 3rd party launch titles.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The new Sonic Kart game sold best on Wii U, as did Rayman Legends and a few eShop games, and there are reports of all sorts of weird games doing much better on Vita/3DS eShop than on consoles or iOS or whatever. Install base matters, but it's not everything.

Interesting. I guess there aren't as many titles competing for purchase either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

poo poo, I was just at Target today too. I didn't bother looking when I saw full price 3rd party launch titles.
If you go back it might be marked at $20 like it was at my store, got it taken care of with a price match though.

dishwasherlove posted:

Interesting. I guess there aren't as many titles competing for purchase either.
Well I figure going back Sega fans are basically from the same era as Nintendo fans growing up, and for younger kids growing up now, they have both Mario and Sonic on the same system. How little they know about the past :allears:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The 16-bit Wars were a brutal time. I still have PTSD from witnessing all the crudely drawn hedgehog bloodshed in the official Nintendo magazine. You weren't there man...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Someone found this in the Acqueduct Assault level

:allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Kurtofan posted:

Someone found this in the Acqueduct Assault level

:allears:

Aaaaaaah, he must've just got it in the mail.

Though, something I noticed was that the game is apparently still expected to be played by motion controls, if the brief bit of DK beating up a boss is any indication.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Aaaaaaah, he must've just got it in the mail.

Though, something I noticed was that the game is apparently still expected to be played by motion controls, if the brief bit of DK beating up a boss is any indication.

There are gamepad controls. Presumably also support for all the other controllers.

But then you won't be able to shake your hands wildly to beat up the bosses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Minecart level :psyduck:

The level design is sweet like candy

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I always love the Minecart levels/sections in the Donkey Kong Country games (and 64). They're all so fantastic, and High Tide Ride appears to follow that tradition. :allears:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Regarding Tropical Freeze, has there been any word on how character selection will work, at least in multiplayer? I would love to have the option to play with both Diddy and Dixie again a la DKC2, but so far I get the impression that many parts of the levels are still built around Donkey's strength and control scheme, so I assume that someone always has to play as him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I saw that they gave Dixie a hair pound move similar to Donkey's ground pummeling in one of the trailers so they could always just say gently caress it and make the kongs largely play the same, looks be damned.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

I always love the Minecart levels/sections in the Donkey Kong Country games (and 64). They're all so fantastic, and High Tide Ride appears to follow that tradition. :allears:

In the first game they were pretty badly designed with the graphics making it hard to tell where to land your jumps and the short arc on the jump. Later on they got better and the ones in DKCR were really good.

Actually, bad graphic design screwing up how the game plays is a good summary of the first Donkey Kong Country game...

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

That loving Sned posted:

They would need a new direction for it though, since it's just not attracting people like the Wii did. All it's offering at the moment is a controller with a screen on it, and Nintendo exclusives. Casual gamers don't care about either of these.

As a casual gamer I beg to differ. A controller with a screen on it for instance let me play Zelda for a bit in bed last night while my wife worked on homework. My ps3 can't offer that without me buying another TV for our bedroom. The controller with the screen also makes playing games with my kids a lot more interesting as multiplayer has a lot more depth to it. Nintendo exclusive titles also tend to appeal more to me as they're less violent and more multiplayer oriented.

Additionally I can use the thing as a tablet practically which means I don't have to buy another tablet to watch TV or surf the net while taking a dump if my wife is already on her's :smug:

I really think the issue is marketing as Paper Jam Dipper pointed out.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So we can add AC4 to the pile of 3rd party games being sent to die. Ubisoft just announced no DLC for the Wii u version.

Which is really ridiculous when you would think they would already account for that when making the game. It's like a parent having a child them complaining they can't afford to feed them. It happens, but those people are retarded.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The AC3 DLC was nothing special at least. Still, pretty dumb, especially if they are using poor sales of poor DLC as a reason.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well it looks like there are some additions to the tablet controls in Mario Kart 8 from the looks of this latest video

Toggle the gyro controls on and off with the top button, bottom button switches between the horn and a full sized map, and the left side always shows the current place order as well as what kind of weapon everyone has.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

japtor posted:

If you go back it might be marked at $20 like it was at my store, got it taken care of with a price match though.

Well I figure going back Sega fans are basically from the same era as Nintendo fans growing up, and for younger kids growing up now, they have both Mario and Sonic on the same system. How little they know about the past :allears:

Will it still accept a price match now that isn't available online or was that the case when you bought it?

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012
I wonder if there's any chance Mario Kart 8 will support five players - four on the TV, one on the gamepad. Maybe that'd be too taxing though?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's no way to put AdBlock or other addons on the web browser, right?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Riptide posted:

I wonder if there's any chance Mario Kart 8 will support five players - four on the TV, one on the gamepad. Maybe that'd be too taxing though?

I'm sure they tested it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Riptide posted:

The E3 demo was strictly four players. :(

Bruceski posted:

There's no way to put AdBlock or other addons on the web browser, right?

I wish.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Chronojam posted:

The AC3 DLC was nothing special at least. Still, pretty dumb, especially if they are using poor sales of poor DLC as a reason.
It doesn't matter if the DLC gives you cancer. This shows that the game is an after thought on this system and shouldn't be trusted. Which leads to future games never even getting looked at.

Astro7x posted:

Well it looks like there are some additions to the tablet controls in Mario Kart 8 from the looks of this latest video

Toggle the gyro controls on and off with the top button, bottom button switches between the horn and a full sized map, and the left side always shows the current place order as well as what kind of weapon everyone has.
That has been there since e3. People got so stuck on the horn, no one even bothered to look.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

MassRafTer posted:

Will it still accept a price match now that isn't available online or was that the case when you bought it?

I tried yesterday, and they wouldn't price match because it was sold out online.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Well this sure as hell is interesting

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359953#ixzz2hGnLcDRZ

:stare:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Don't know if they bothered looking at that, but yeah it was out of stock when I showed the page on my phone. My hope was that they'd just honor it cause it was still ultimately Target advertising the price, ymmv though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I wonder if either MS or Sony will try to get on board with that to some extent. I'd imagine if it were ever to happen it would be Sony agreeing to crossplay for the new CoD or whatever, to further capitalize on Microsoft's bad image with the Xbox One.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I love the sentence "A Nintendo representative swiftly responded to the query within a few days..."

Is the Wii U going to get the map packs for Ghosts?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the Wii U going to get the map packs for Ghosts?

Don't hold your breath. They keep confirming then denying, so probably not. If they had crossplatform with PC players, pointer vs mkb would be almost an even fight. It hurts knowing this won't happen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chronojam posted:

I wonder if either MS or Sony will try to get on board with that to some extent. I'd imagine if it were ever to happen it would be Sony agreeing to crossplay for the new CoD or whatever, to further capitalize on Microsoft's bad image with the Xbox One.
I imagine Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo cause it's not like people are going to be buying Wii U for their online community, but MS and Sony probably like keeping their networks separate cause a lot of the major games are multiplatform, the communities are the biggest "exclusive" they have other than some first party games. It'd only really help Sony if MS did it as well (...unless XB1 just bombs out of the gate and gets no traction I guess, while PC gaming booms or something).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

japtor posted:

I imagine Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo cause it's not like people are going to be buying Wii U for their online community, but MS and Sony probably like keeping their networks separate cause a lot of the major games are multiplatform, the communities are the biggest "exclusive" they have other than some first party games. It'd only really help Sony if MS did it as well (...unless XB1 just bombs out of the gate and gets no traction I guess, while PC gaming booms or something).

Yeah, I know a few people who only subscribe to Xbox Live Gold because all their friends play on the 360, so that's their only real choice of platform for multiplatform stuff like CoD. Hell, I've heard of people who are buying the Xbox One solely because if they get a PS4, they won't be able to play with their friends who are getting Xbox Ones. Allowing cross platform multiplayer seems like it would do nothing good for Microsoft.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Microsoft and Sony are paid online services.

Nintendo and the mobiles are free.

That's probably going to be the separation there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Microsoft and Sony are paid online services.

Nintendo and the mobiles are free.

That's probably going to be the separation there.

Even Sony's is only paid if Sony themselves are hosting the server, things like CoD and Battlefield can have free multiplayer.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Donkey Kong Country trailer looks really good, but I'm still kinda disappointed Diddy and Dixie are just powerups for Donkey in single player. That was my big complaint about Returns (apart from the entire world of mine cart/jet barrel stages; those things are fun, but they're meant to punctuate the regular action, not take up that much room themselves) and I was kinda hoping it'd be something they'd address in a sequel.

Oh well, I'm sure the game will still be great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I would play a DKCR game that was literally only minecart levels. Just like 70 levels of minecarting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good news, Deus Ex fans! The WU version of DX:HR is gonna be $20 more than the other versions, just because! Thanks, Squaresoft!

• Locked thread