Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: Also, I hope they don't use the Dimensions-style character sprites, because those are ugly as sin.

Nonsense, I can't wait to see which character is Sol. I bet it's Sabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I literally just groaned out loud. Bye bye 3DS remake.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maybe this means the Android version will come out at the same time as the iOS versiahahaha I can't finish that with a straight face. :smith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh its gonna look gross just like FF5 and the other releases they put out on iOS. :sigh:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I think the more important revelation is that FFVII and more could follow. FFV did pretty well at $15.99 and had a lot of good in-store reviews. Their target audience seems happy with the game. They're serious about establishing mobile as a platform for Final Fantasy games.

Barudak posted:

When he says graphics sharpened like FFV does he mean using the FFDimension's sprites which themselves are draw-overs of FFVI sprites and Amano character portraits?

Also did anyone have issues grinding in FFVI? I can't remember any real stumbling blocks in that game.

Think of the same love and care that went into FFV:

As for the grinding, it actually hurt you until you got access to stat boosting Espers. Maybe he's talking about the encounter rate?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm hoping it means a lower encounter rate and higher AP/lower AP requirements.

Everyone get excited to play FFVII on your phone and lose at every minigame forever.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kyrosiris posted:

Maybe this means the Android version will come out at the same time as the iOS versiahahaha I can't finish that with a straight face. :smith:

Still waiting for War of the Lions over here.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: Also, I hope they don't use the Dimensions-style character sprites, because those are ugly as sin.

We're hosed, son.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I know it gets brought up everytime, but good god are the character sprites unappealing to look at.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish Square wasn't hard up for cash and didn't have to resort to poor mobile ports.

And squander tons of money on FF13 1-3.

Or any decisions they've made since the PS2 era.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

I wish Square wasn't hard up for cash and didn't have to resort to poor mobile ports.

And squander tons of money on FF13 1-3.

Or any decisions they've made since the PS2 era.

Even if they weren't hard up for cash they'd be making mobile ports like this. It's ridiculously easy money and the people complaining about the graphics seem to be in the minority.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Krad posted:

Still waiting for War of the Lions over here.

Don't remind me. :smithicide:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I was too busy looking at the sprite to notice this earlier, but the copy/paste job on that meteor is way worse. Not even an attempt to make those tiles line up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't really have a problem with the FFD style of sprites, but I hope they actually take some care in redrawing them because FFVI has some really nicely detailed ones.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Skychrono posted:

Have any of their remake games been anything but mobile? I'd much prefer this to be, say, an eShop game, or a PSN title.

Well, there is one: III's DS remake is also on the Ouya! :v:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I really don't get what about iOS is advantageous to releasing this on PSN and the Nintendo eShop. I mean, yeah, more people have an iPhone than PSV or 3DS, but their market for mainline Final Fantasy games can't be anything BUT people that play video games, and odds are if you want to play VI again you have a Wii, PS3, 3DS, or Vita. If they released it on iOS as well as another dedicated video gaming platform, they'd only be making it more available and couldn't really cannibalize sales all that much, or even at all really.

Hell, I'd buy a hardcopy of the 3D remake of FFIV:TAY if they released it as a stand alone DS title, but seriously gently caress jRPGs on mobile devices. Nobody, NOBODY wants to spend 80 hours on a game on their phone, I had FFI on my phone a couple years ago and it was a chore to get through that, much less VI where there is a lot more to do and is much more involved. I played V on the iPad for the Four Job Fiesta and that sucked all my patience for the platform out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You're thinking about this from an American perspective, not a Japanese one. In Japan smartphone games are infinitely more successful than PSN games. Most gamers have a smartphone, are willing to play on one, and they're probably makinga few bucks off young businessmen who haven't played a game in a decade but remember playing FF when they were a kid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I really don't get what about iOS is advantageous to releasing this on PSN and the Nintendo eShop. I mean, yeah, more people have an iPhone than PSV or 3DS, but their market for mainline Final Fantasy games can't be anything BUT people that play video games, and odds are if you want to play VI again you have a Wii, PS3, 3DS, or Vita. If they released it on iOS as well as another dedicated video gaming platform, they'd only be making it more available and couldn't really cannibalize sales all that much, or even at all really.

Hell, I'd buy a hardcopy of the 3D remake of FFIV:TAY if they released it as a stand alone DS title, but seriously gently caress jRPGs on mobile devices. Nobody, NOBODY wants to spend 80 hours on a game on their phone, I had FFI on my phone a couple years ago and it was a chore to get through that, much less VI where there is a lot more to do and is much more involved. I played V on the iPad for the Four Job Fiesta and that sucked all my patience for the platform out.

FFVI is already available on every platform you mentioned except the 3DS. So is FFV for that matter. They did re-release The After Years/FFIV on the PSP but that was because TAY wasn't available there already. It's a shittier port but they're probably not overly concerned about that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 9, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

I was too busy looking at the sprite to notice this earlier, but the copy/paste job on that meteor is way worse. Not even an attempt to make those tiles line up.

I WOULD say that I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the iphone games were made in RPG Maker, but I've seen RPG Maker games that look a million times better than this.

Seriously that is dogshit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Weren't Dimensions' sprites originally in the same style as TAY's?

Are they going to redo FF6's graphics using rip-offs of FF6's graphics?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

odds are if you want to play VI again you have a Wii, PS3, 3DS, or Vita

Not here. Granted, I also have an Android handset, not an i-Device, so I get screwed out of the releases anyways due to their stupid Android exclusivity in Japan for ages. :shrug:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Well at least we'll get some slick looking redone monster graphics. That makes up for everything, right guys? :smithicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is FFT available on any platform besides the PS and PSP? I never played the PSP version with the cutscenes and new translation, and I want to get another look at the story from that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is FFT available on any platform besides the PS and PSP? I never played the PSP version with the cutscenes and new translation, and I want to get another look at the story from that game.

Got an iPad?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

The PSP version is available on iOS. For some reason there's an Android version in Japan that's been out for about 8 months and never made it here.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Making FF6 even easier? I's already the easiest game in the world, where every fight you just use the MP-cost free attacks that do more damage than your spells and win. Sometimes heal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Making FF6 even easier? I's already the easiest game in the world, where every fight you just use the MP-cost free attacks that do more damage than your spells and win. Sometimes heal.

The thing to understand is that FF's audience are really, really, really bad at RPGs. This is, again, the same franchise where they added an Easy Mode to Final Fantasy XIII because people had such trouble with it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Amppelix posted:

Ehhh spells are still more powerful overall then the special abilities, especially if you have an Earring or two on.

However it's not like MP means anything in FFVI. You get a ton of it and Osmose is good enough so you never run out period.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

Got an iPad?

Used to, then I sold it 'cos I needed a Windows laptop for work anyway. gently caress. :cry:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think Final Fantasy is frequently a gateway for people who've never played a JRPG before, or is the only RPG series that a lot of people who just sort of buy every new AAA game play (because it's the only one on their radar and it looks cool). Once you're familiar with genre conventions and stuff they're all somewhere between manageable and so easy as to be boring, but plenty of people got wiped out by poo poo like the Mist Dragon in 4 and Guard Scorpion in 7 because they're not used to having to read or think while they play videogames.

That might sound pejorative, either of the series or those players, but it's really not meant to be. Final Fantasy is to JRPGs as Zelda is to action RPGs and console adventure games. They make them so kids and people who aren't good at videogames can still have fun with and eventually beat them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: Also I appreciate that you can beat pretty much any of the Final Fantasy games other than 2 without ever having to grind, which is probably another reason they seem easy. It's almost impossible to resist grinding sometimes, because you can almost afford that new sword or you know you get a cool spell in two more levels or you found the place where metal slimes show up, but unlike some JRPGs all the Final Fantasy games are sort of balanced around the assumption that you won't stop for 3 hours and farm until the endgame/postgame.

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 9, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually never finished FF6 because when I got to the last level I realized I was going to have to use every characters even though I had only used the same 4 pretty much the entire game. So maybe changing how they scale the non-active characters instead of check pointing after bosses or however it was originally implemented.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Kyrosiris posted:

It will! You know, on Square's Japan-only Android store.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Great Lakes Log posted:

I actually never finished FF6 because when I got to the last level I realized I was going to have to use every characters even though I had only used the same 4 pretty much the entire game. So maybe changing how they scale the non-active characters instead of check pointing after bosses or however it was originally implemented.

The last area is easy enough that you can fake it with one or two of your mains in each group, especially if you bring Mog and his Moogle Charm. It's how I hacked it my first time through: Edgar at an obscenely high level heading up one party, Celes with >100% MEvade and >50% Evasion (this was in the days before I knew the m-evasion bug was a thing) in another, and Mog with the Moogle Charm in the third. No worries!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The White Dragon posted:

The last area is easy enough that you can fake it with one or two of your mains in each group, especially if you bring Mog and his Moogle Charm. It's how I hacked it my first time through: Edgar at an obscenely high level heading up one party, Celes with >100% MEvade and >50% Evasion (this was in the days before I knew the m-evasion bug was a thing) in another, and Mog with the Moogle Charm in the third. No worries!

Hell, I just went and did all 3 parts/all of the bosses with one party by having them clear up to the end of one wing, then having my other team hop back on the airship and moving my main party over to the next wing my first time through.

I also made Cyan part of my core team during that run, too. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

People who don't swap out everybody to keep them equally leveled are the scum of the earth. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

People who don't swap out everybody to keep them equally leveled are the scum of the earth. :colbert:

I'm okay with that title then. :colbert: My favorites get XP and the rest of those stragglers can piss off.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Got an iPad?

Get used to this phrase, people. :smithicide:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The PSP version is available on iOS. For some reason there's an Android version in Japan that's been out for about 8 months and never made it here.

SE has some dumb poo poo where Japan gets the Android version as an exclusive before it hits overseas. Which is retarded because nobody in north America besides the biggest nerds are going to buy a Japanese language RPG. Actually they probably couldn't buy it on the Play Store anyways.

SE just hates money.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endorph posted:

You're thinking about this from an American perspective, not a Japanese one. In Japan smartphone games are infinitely more successful than PSN games. Most gamers have a smartphone, are willing to play on one, and they're probably makinga few bucks off young businessmen who haven't played a game in a decade but remember playing FF when they were a kid.

"Let's think of things from a Japanese perspective rather than a Western one" is probably Square's number one problem these days. Not just in terms of business, but development philosophy more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was playing Dissidia and Yuna said "teedus" this game is garbage.